Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Adds $30/month to have it on my policy, with comprehensive ($250 deductible) and UM/UIM (property and bodily injury).

So... not terribly painful.

e: OTOH I can't cough up $1500ish right now, so I'll probably hold off. More that likely it's just going to sit in his driveway for the next year or two (he tends to do that when he gets a new car, driving the sitting car once a month for a day or so), so it'll probably still be there when I do have the money. His BMW (98 325i, nothing special before you guys get pissy) sat for 4 years, only getting driven when the Prius was in the shop or his wife's car was in the shop, and he finally sold it to another coworker a couple of months ago.
Is there a reason you don't buy it and sell the Saturn for whatever you can get? Or do you want 2 regular cars for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Based on your current luck, I'd be afraid that you've got a super-stalker and he decided to get rid of the competition.
It's probably some kind of stalker quickening.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

Is there a reason you don't buy it and sell the Saturn for whatever you can get? Or do you want 2 regular cars for some reason?

The Prius would just be for work; the mileage and cargo room are the main reasons I'm considering it (also the price). It's also a smoker's car (he hasn't smoked IN the car, but he smokes enough that the inside of the car smells like smoke) and needs some mechanical work. Also needs either new headlamp assemblies or needs them polished. I don't like driving CVTs in general (though I know Toyota's implementation is a bit different), and the lack of power would get to me. They're a lot quicker off the line than you'd expect, but a dog otherwise.

Also, I kinda like the Saturn. It doesn't need much work right now aside from the AC... though it also has about 117k less miles on it.

It's just an idea at this point anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

It's probably some kind of stalker quickening.

I loled.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone here ever get any bespoke clothes (suits or even jeans) from one of the several online sources that seem to be around now?

How did it go? Any tips?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Anyone here ever get any bespoke clothes (suits or even jeans) from one of the several online sources that seem to be around now?

How did it go? Any tips?

If you're looking for a suit, I've had good luck twice now with a guy in town who measures, outsources the actual fabrication of the garment to Vietnam, and then he does follow-up alterations as needed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're looking for a suit, I've had good luck twice now with a guy in town who measures, outsources the actual fabrication of the garment to Vietnam, and then he does follow-up alterations as needed.

A friend of mine rolled the dice on an ebay suit from China and it's actually pretty decent and was $100 shipped.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that kind of thing would appeal to me, but all my local suit stores are chains are chains (like Moores) or a small independent but only seems to offer high, high end stuff, like well into $4-figures$ suits if a guy wants custom.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The Prius would just be for work; the mileage and cargo room are the main reasons I'm considering it (also the price). It's also a smoker's car (he hasn't smoked IN the car, but he smokes enough that the inside of the car smells like smoke) and needs some mechanical work. Also needs either new headlamp assemblies or needs them polished. I don't like driving CVTs in general (though I know Toyota's implementation is a bit different), and the lack of power would get to me. They're a lot quicker off the line than you'd expect, but a dog otherwise.

Also, I kinda like the Saturn. It doesn't need much work right now aside from the AC... though it also has about 117k less miles on it.

It's just an idea at this point anyway.

More to think about : can you afford to do maintenance on both vehicles? Are you allowed to have two vehicles at your apartment?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 23, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Yeah that kind of thing would appeal to me, but all my local suit stores are chains are chains (like Moores) or a small independent but only seems to offer high, high end stuff, like well into $4-figures$ suits if a guy wants custom.

Might be worth a trip into the big city, then. I can pass you the details in PM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Might be worth a trip into the big city, then. I can pass you the details in PM.

Yeah, why don't you thanks. I don't get north that often, but I'm not in a rush.

Still not against trying an online source though if anyone has had good luck and can describe the process.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

More to think about : can you afford to do maintenance on both vehicles? Are you allowed to have two vehicles at your apartment?

Maintenance, yes. From what I gather it just needs more frequent oil changes than what I'm used to, CVT fluid every ~50k if you're feeling spendy, and uses a bucketload more coolant than the Saturn?

I thought my original lease limited me to 1 vehicle, but I just went over my current lease, and there's no limit mentioned. They don't do permits or visitor parking here, parking is plentiful (26-28? spaces for my 12 unit, all 1 bedroom building, I've never seen more than 12 occupied), and the areas I park in are well lit. Yeah, it's a unicorn property in that regard. I've only seen one car get slapped with a tow sticker, and it was an obvious stolen car that had been dumped here. Basically, so long as your car isn't pissing rivers of fluid, has all of the wheels on it, doesn't appear abandoned, has air in the tires, and you can park between the lines, you're good (essentially the same things the city would care about if you were parked on the street, except you can leave your car in the same spot for months here). There's also nothing mentioned prohibiting car maintenance, though I do all of that after the office is closed just in case they're showing someone around the property.

There's a lot of poo poo I hate about this place, but parking is not one of them - I feel like I struck gold in that regard. The potholes, OTOH, can eat a dick, but they've been slowly patching them this summer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I (and I'm sure others) mentioned years ago a Prius would suit your work, for the price I wouldn't be scared by the mileage, age and heat does more damage to those batteries than cycling. The software is hilariously reserved and cautious about working the batteries. Though that motor mount is a priority.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ask about the history of its brake booster. With that mileage it should have already been through 1. If not, your number will be up soon.

edit: Is it too early for the October thread :haw:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 23, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

Ask about the history of its brake booster. With that mileage it should have already been through 1. If not, your number will be up soon.

I'm working on the december op as we speak

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Maintenance, yes. From what I gather it just needs more frequent oil changes than what I'm used to, CVT fluid every ~50k if you're feeling spendy, and uses a bucketload more coolant than the Saturn?

I thought my original lease limited me to 1 vehicle, but I just went over my current lease, and there's no limit mentioned. They don't do permits or visitor parking here, parking is plentiful (26-28? spaces for my 12 unit, all 1 bedroom building, I've never seen more than 12 occupied), and the areas I park in are well lit. Yeah, it's a unicorn property in that regard. I've only seen one car get slapped with a tow sticker, and it was an obvious stolen car that had been dumped here. Basically, so long as your car isn't pissing rivers of fluid, has all of the wheels on it, doesn't appear abandoned, has air in the tires, and you can park between the lines, you're good (essentially the same things the city would care about if you were parked on the street, except you can leave your car in the same spot for months here). There's also nothing mentioned prohibiting car maintenance, though I do all of that after the office is closed just in case they're showing someone around the property.

There's a lot of poo poo I hate about this place, but parking is not one of them - I feel like I struck gold in that regard. The potholes, OTOH, can eat a dick, but they've been slowly patching them this summer.

Dude, if you cant afford the maintenance on car 1 (I thought your aircon was hosed and you were too skint to fix it?) then you shouldn't really be buying car 2 with a view to keeping both of them

Goober Peas posted:

I thought that the october thread was already locked and loaded by Mr Metal Geir Skogul? (just reopen the thread...)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

angryrobots posted:

Insurance on big trucks is expensive, so check on that.

When traveling on the interstate, you'll have to stop and get weighed, and explain why you don't have DOT numbers. ...Unless you plan on running those too, which also means maintaining participation in a random drug testing program. I hear it's a pain for an owner/operator, no personal experience.

Thanks, I'll do that. I guess the game is figuring out whether the mobile base is cheaper than a house or apartment, and I'm guessing it is? My figure would be around $1,000 a month before maintenance costs are worse than a brick and mortar residence. Like an apartment, most likely. That's factoring in the few hundred it might cost monthly for long term RV parking with hookups.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

they don't... until you have 2-3 of them in a few years. I don't think they can drop me for them in my state, but they can raise my rates.

I've had one maybe every other year and my premiums haven't moved. :shrug:

you can only do so much. It's uncanny they're all 18 or 19

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yesterday:

Today Just now:

That's 10 minutes with some WD-40 and some cheap microfiber towels. Gonna get some rougher towels tomorrow. Paint's fine, headlight popped right back where it should be, just need to unscrew the side marker and realign it. Only thing bugging me at the moment is it seems to be smearing a little, but I'm pretty sure going after it with a little bit of buffing (AFTER I wash the hell out of it) will get rid of that, then I'll hit it with wax.

Or... more like make the other dude pay for the car to be buffed/waxed. I got most of the poo poo off in 10 minutes. It's coming off the wheel pretty easy too, though the finish is damaged on that. All of my wheels have curb rash, that one just had the least. :sigh:

Goober Peas posted:

It was done a bit over a year ago.

Tomarse posted:

Dude, if you cant afford the maintenance on car 1 (I thought your aircon was hosed and you were too skint to fix it?) then you shouldn't really be buying car 2 with a view to keeping both of them

TBH I'm more concerned with stuff that affects how my car runs, especially now that it's cooled off a bit. I'm not getting it for sure anyway, and it's likely going to be his backup car for a few months until he gets off his rear end and sells it. It took him 4 years to sell his BMW...

Also blowing $1k at once on AC repairs is a bit daunting, I still don't want to do it. I'd rather save up and buy the parts bit by bit until I have everything I need to DIY.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 24, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm no expert but I'm pretty certain when you drain the oil out of the gearbox, there should be hydrocarbons coming out rather than gearbox

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Was it more of a slurry than liquid? Or chunky?

So uh... apparently that dude keeps late hours. He sent me a text saying he had something that should take the rubber right off the wheel. Said he'd be up for meeting whenever in the next few days, or tonight... I'm up late, turns out he's 30 minutes away, we met halfway.

Jesus gently caress he wasn't kidding. That was basically 5 swipes with a rag with some of that solvent on it - aside from a couple of chips, the wheel looks exactly like it did before we met. It claims to be safe for car paint, so long as you wash the car immediately after. So I'll give that a shot tomorrow. It kinda smells like lighter fluid and paint thinner together. :iiam: (brand is "OOPS!") Also there's nothing sketchy at all about meeting some dude at a gas station at 2am, right?

also gave me some :420:, and he's paying for the car wash and for someone to wax it. So as far as I'm concerned, we're square.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 24, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
drat decent of him considering you had to chase him down initially.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh.. turns out he's kind of a purveyor of many substances. He's the kind of person you either don't want to know, or you want to remain on their (very) good side. I kinda got that impression when we first met anyway.

Didn't have to chase him that far though (about.. 1/8 of a mile?). Originally I was holding off on posting the dashcam video in case insurance or police got involved.. now I don't want to post it because, well, yeah, he's not someone that I should piss off.

Upside: new :420: connection, except I don't smoke that much anymore. The amount he gave me will probably last me a couple of months.

e: turns out he lives in a slightly better part of town than I thought (just looked up the address on his insurance card), but still not that great (it's slowly being gentrified, though). Not sure why he was in the part of town he was in (customer? resupply?). Not gonna ask.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty certain when you drain the oil out of the gearbox, there should be hydrocarbons coming out rather than gearbox
But are they vital bits of gearbox?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They are if it doesn't grind anymore

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

But are they vital bits of gearbox?

All I know is that gearbox oil should look like oil not baby poo poo with metal flakes

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks to me more like an issue of water getting in than bits of gearbox getting out?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

That looks to me more like an issue of water getting in than bits of gearbox getting out?

Not water unfortunantly . All that is ground up synchro

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not water unfortunantly . All that is ground up synchro

That drain plug looks just like your standard landrover diff oil....

It really does look like it has water in too in addition to synchro glitter.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Prius brake boosters have been known to make grown men cry.

And old men WHARRGARBL

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Watching Stranger Things again in anticipation of next months sequel season.

This is such a great show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We went to dinner in a tiny little fuckhole hick town last night and a dude a few tables over had a ConFed shirt on and was loudly arguing that the StarsNBars was actually the official flag of the union because of some clause that was never overturned and the US Flag was not properly registered or some insane hilljack nonsense.

At least the pizza was good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don't tell anyone you're moving, and just get the gently caress out of Indiana. :sever:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus gently caress he wasn't kidding. That was basically 5 swipes with a rag with some of that solvent on it - aside from a couple of chips, the wheel looks exactly like it did before we met. It claims to be safe for car paint, so long as you wash the car immediately after. So I'll give that a shot tomorrow. It kinda smells like lighter fluid and paint thinner together. :iiam: (brand is "OOPS!") Also there's nothing sketchy at all about meeting some dude at a gas station at 2am, right?

I think OOPS is basically acetone and toluene in a little squeeze bottle. (http://oopsremovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1026E-Oops-Extreme-Liquid-4.5-oz..pdf) For whatever reason my camera store had some, and after the one dude used it to clean something, he was lightheaded for days. So, don't use it inside. :P

I think the original had xylene and benzene as well? It was really nasty stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"defatting" :stare:

A weaker version of Panther Piss I guess. No wonder my fingers felt so weird.

"Oops! Original formula will strip car paint off. If you are doing auto body work and that is your goal, then please use it on car paint. Otherwise, do not use it on a vehicle."

uh oh..

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It'll take it off if you let it sit. If you wipe it on and immediately wipe it off you'll be fine. One of it and Goof Off's uses is to remove spray paint vandalism without ruining the clearcoat/paint underneath.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I took that bet. Wiped it on in the parking lot of a car wash (and it immediately took off all of the rubber transfer - one wipe, that poo poo is seriously strong), then ran it through their tunnel wash.

Result:

There's a little bit of brown haze at the top of the wheel arch, but that showed up when I was trying to get it off with WD40. I tried going over that with the Oops, but it didn't touch that; I think I'm gonna have to buff it to get that out. The Oops took off some paint transfer from someone dinging me in a parking lot too.

I wound up finding one small scratch in the paint - it's through the clear and into the paint, but not to the primer. It's on a sharp curve (wheel arch), so you don't see it unless you know it's there. I'll just make sure to keep it waxed a bit more often to keep it from peeling.

The bottom spoke on the wheel has a couple of chips from the incident (you can kinda see them in the pic), but being TX and not being near the coast, I'm not that worried about corrosion anytime soon. It was already rashed anyway.

And uh, as for the :420: he gave me... I have it put away in my closet in what I thought was an airtight container. I just walked into my apartment and got knocked over by the smell. It smells like someone's growing in here. :stare: I think that may be just from what I left in my bong this morning.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 25, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Great. I ordered some wheels from a breaker, on the basis that the PCD should be what I want (checked a couple of sites, both gave the same info). Now looks like they might not be the right PCD. Ah well. I guess I'll see when they turn up.
Woo. Wheels arrived, and yes, they're the wrong PCD. So not one, but two reference websites are talking bollocks.

Any UK goons need a cheap set of steelies in 4x100?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Woo. Wheels arrived, and yes, they're the wrong PCD. So not one, but two reference websites are talking bollocks.

4x100 should be easy to unload. I hope you don't need 4x108.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

InitialDave posted:

Possibly. I'm looking at a Rover 200 Honda concerto this afternoon (A 20 year old japanese car built in Longbridge? for under £400 with ticket, what could possibly go wrong :newlol: ).

how big and what centre bore?

• Locked thread