Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Achmed Jones posted:

I’ll admit fault for my ignorance but this is the first I’ve heard of apple doing that. not defending or saying they didn’t or w/e just saying I missed that in the news

In order to sell iPhones in China, Apple was required to make two concessions: 1) provide a censored version of the app store (no VPN apps) and 2) provide encryption keys to icloud backups in China to a state owned company. It got no press coverage in the US because everyone here waxes poetic about how good Apple is for privacy.

apseudonym posted:

Let's not challenge companies to one up that move. Tech companies are desperate for growth numbers.

I want to believe that people are just being willfully ignorant of Apple giving the keys to a Chinese government ran company, there's no greater sin for a privacy promising company than promising privacy and outright stabbing them in the back.

E: migraine posting is bad for grammar

IMO people aren't willfully ignorant: they just don't know about it. All businesses are the same -- slightly different incentives but all have a price that they will sell out for.

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao Facebook let whole neighborhoods organize on their platform for a bit of ethnic cleansing so maybe try again.

Please tell me you recognize there is a HUGE difference between Apple willingly and knowingly handing over the keys to an oppressive regime vs. Facebook not being fast enough to police their own poo poo. At least Facebook is loving trying to fix poo poo, Apple just passed that poo poo over in China.

Like people at Apple had to look at each other and say "Yes we will hand over iCloud encryption keys to a PRC owned organization" for this to happen.

At least Facebook and Google said "no thank you" to operating in PRC over the exact same concern Apple seems to not give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Google was working on a Chinese version of their search engine (supporting all of the censorship requirements) until late last year when a bunch of engineers revolted and didn't want for work on it anymore.

None of these companies have any kind of morals or ethics.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

spankmeister posted:

Google was working on a Chinese version of their search engine (supporting all of the censorship requirements) until late last year when a bunch of engineers revolted and didn't want for work on it anymore.

People at Apple could have also chosen to revolt over management's decision to enter China.

But they didn't.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I agree. Not saying one is better than the other, but I do think Apple is worse than most people think and Facebook/Google are honestly a little better than most people think

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
"Didn't willingly give sensitive personal communications to an oppressive regime" is a lovely moral bar, i know

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we already knew malware could be encoded in DNA or RNA because viruses exist and kill people

cant wait to die from bitcoin mining

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sereri posted:

cant wait to die from bitcoin mining

People being turned into bitcoin mining biocomputers makes more sense for the state people are in in The Matrix than "they are batteries".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

salted hash browns posted:

In order to sell iPhones in China, Apple was required to make two concessions: 1) provide a censored version of the app store (no VPN apps) and 2) provide encryption keys to icloud backups in China to a state owned company. It got no press coverage in the US because everyone here waxes poetic about how good Apple is for privacy.

IMO people aren't willfully ignorant: they just don't know about it. All businesses are the same -- slightly different incentives but all have a price that they will sell out for.

Please tell me you recognize there is a HUGE difference between Apple willingly and knowingly handing over the keys to an oppressive regime vs. Facebook not being fast enough to police their own poo poo. At least Facebook is loving trying to fix poo poo, Apple just passed that poo poo over in China.

Like people at Apple had to look at each other and say "Yes we will hand over iCloud encryption keys to a PRC owned organization" for this to happen.

At least Facebook and Google said "no thank you" to operating in PRC over the exact same concern Apple seems to not give a poo poo about.

i love how facebook has been trying to fix their “friendly fraud” system driving fiscal engagement of 5 year old “whales” (quotes for facebook official lingo on subject matter) in monetised free to play games

calling out apple for china poo poo is a valid thing to do. saying that apple is bad or morally bankrupt , *unlike* google or facebook - that’s just outing yourself as naive or poorly informed fool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

People at Apple could have also chosen to revolt over management's decision to enter China.

But they didn't.

didn’t or didn’t take it public :thunk:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the article also explicitly says they retain control of the encryption keys . they release data based on Chinese law , for iCloud , which you can turn off.

If you want to argue that this is just a sham and they are giving away customer data , I guess you can make that claim but the article given doesn’t support that in any way.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

it’s simply the cost of doing business in china and basically any company operating there does this, its much more interesting to ask how isolated the systems are and how much control the companies yielded

if anything is morally bankrupt according to anyone’s standards its likely to be much more the chinese government than apple, or bmw, or anyone else operating there

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

bingbingbing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Partycat posted:

the article also explicitly says they retain control of the encryption keys . they release data based on Chinese law , for iCloud , which you can turn off.

If you want to argue that this is just a sham and they are giving away customer data , I guess you can make that claim but the article given doesn’t support that in any way.

the claim is that they're selling out dissidents to a totalitarian regime that is rounding up minorities in interment camps and has a history of human rights abuses

"we only do it when then the totalitarian regime asks us to" is not much of a fig leaf there

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/1092212501901688832?s=21

bitcoin strikes again

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Yeah I agree. Not saying one is better than the other, but I do think Apple is worse than most people think and Facebook/Google are honestly a little better than most people think

lol absofuckinglutely not

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
looks like afterlife's expensive tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

there's a different thread for faking your own death lmao

also bitcoins et al are dumb

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahahhahahha

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
considering that i had met the quadriga cx people at some local event, none of this surprises me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Truga posted:

looks like afterlife's expensive tho

:geno: <-- this is my shocked face

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i love how facebook has been trying to fix their “friendly fraud” system driving fiscal engagement of 5 year old “whales” (quotes for facebook official lingo on subject matter) in monetised free to play games

calling out apple for china poo poo is a valid thing to do. saying that apple is bad or morally bankrupt , *unlike* google or facebook - that’s just outing yourself as naive or poorly informed fool

the point I’m trying to make is yes, monetizing children via micro transactions in lovely games is v bad, but not even comparable to what will happens to dissidents in PRC who use iMessage believing they are private and then being sent to re-education after getting snooped on.

I said Apple giving encryption keys to an oppressive regime will cause more human harm. PRC does not gently caress around here and the outcomes will be way worse than creepy advertising practices.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Partycat posted:

lol if you think the PRC gives a poo poo about “Chinese law” I have a bridge to sell you

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
http://dayssinceacryptocurrencyexchangehaslostmorethan100million.com/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
anyone ever done some siem integrations into gapps? i'm looking to pull whatever data they have available on there and am looking around to see what others have done

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

rjmccall posted:

hmm, probably does not count as intent to obtain a benefit, to injure or defraud another or to facilitate an unlawful activity

I have a co-worker with a cop spouse. The problem was that people were reporting it as a scam to the cops who then posted a public alert about this new scam. Then they investigated the emails, saw it was from the school and told them to knock that poo poo off since it made them waste time on dumb poo poo.

There's better ways to do phishing training without getting trigger happy cops pissed off by taking away their donut eating time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best phish training email I've seen was one that claimed to be from our security team containing a list of people who fell for the last phish training email

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

the best phish training email I've seen was one that claimed to be from our security team containing a list of people who fell for the last phish training email

unbelievably savage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

unbelievably savage

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

when you clicked on it did it just display "YOU" in big letters?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't click it :smugdog: and it was auto-deleted once I used the outlook report phishing button

usually the documents just have boilerplate "this was phishing, you're a dumbass, now read these guides" text

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Captain Foo posted:

unbelievably savage

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

haveblue posted:

:drat:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

haveblue posted:

:thurman:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

unbelievably savage

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

:yeshaha:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
we had a really disappointed email about new mandatory training that noted a full third of the office clicked on the last phishing email

i asked one of our security guys and he said we did well last year and that it's normally more like two thirds

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

we use some automated service that sends out phishing tests every couple of weeks. apparently nobody has clicked on one in months, so i guess beating people over the head with it is the way to go.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Chalks posted:

we use some automated service that sends out phishing tests every couple of weeks. apparently nobody has clicked on one in months, so i guess beating people over the head with it is the way to go.

we're getting spear phished like crazy; popped up in the news recently and apparently that's bait for both recruiters and phishers. i've actually been really impressed by the attentiveness of everyone in the company, though, we have a really good (entertaining) security training and we've been target regularly over the past couple years so everyone's awareness levels are really high.

haveblue posted:

i'd fall for this hard

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

dissidents in PRC who use iMessage believing they are private

if your plan for plotting against a totalitarian police state starts with "use a chat program that openly and deliberately prioritises convenience over security", then you have bigger problems than icloud backups

like, iMessages by default falls back on unencrypted sms if the person you’re chatting with has a poor signal or a non-apple phone. that’s a harmless and well-intentioned feature that by itself makes the app completely unsuitable for dissidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the point I’m trying to make is yes, monetizing children via micro transactions in lovely games is v bad, but not even comparable to what will happens to dissidents in PRC who use iMessage believing they are private and then being sent to re-education after getting snooped on.

I said Apple giving encryption keys to an oppressive regime will cause more human harm. PRC does not gently caress around here and the outcomes will be way worse than creepy advertising practices.

can’t wait for facebook to resurrect dead rohingyas i guess, seeing that they are fixing things