Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

I have good news for you.

Funny, it’s not as loud as I expected.

Also just to get the ball rolling, AR stands for assault rifle - discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh, important, since the hosts have explained their house rule we should share ours.

Please limit the self posts unless they're interesting, will elicit strong conversation, or nobody has posted anything in a while.

And no empty quoting. If you like what someone has said, you post a Bird.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Um factually wrong? That’s kind of like saying BMW stands for “big motor wagon”

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BWM: When I bought my first gun I didn't realize negotiating prices was a thing at gun stores. I just went in to the LGS and special ordered a p226 at full retail plus 6 mags.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Someone tried to save time by drying out their sig in an oven.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Long live The New Flesh?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

taqueso posted:

BWM: When I bought my first gun I didn't realize negotiating prices was a thing at gun stores. I just went in to the LGS and special ordered a p226 at full retail plus 6 mags.

gently caress you say?! Really? I've never once done this. poo poo!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You run a gun shop for 1 of 3 reasons

1. Actual neonazi trying to do some networking
2. Veteran comforted by presence of many cool guns
3. Old gruff man trying to get away from the wife for a few hours a day

Certainly never to make money.

A new one opened near me about a year ago. It's closed already. I think this had something to do with it.

https://6abc.com/education/2-arrested-following-gun-shop-burglary-in-malvern/3476479/

quote:

Two suspects have been arrested in a gun shop burglary that caused a Malvern school district to increase security on Tuesday.

Police said just after 5 a.m. Tuesday morning the two men burst through the glass door of the Chester County Outdoors gun shop on Lancaster Avenue.

East Whiteland Township Police Chief Chris Yeager said once the suspects broke into the gun shop the alarm went off.

But the alarm system company never called the police, so there was no immediate response by officers.

It wasn't until the suspects were crossing back over Lancaster Avenue that they were spotted by a Malvern Police officer.

"He sees two males cross the street in front of him with rifle-like guns in their hands all dressed in black," said Yeager.

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact that the alarm company never bothered to inform cops "Hey, the gun store's been broken into," or the image of them walking across the road loaded down with stolen guns and just happening to cross the street right in front of a cop. It's like Marcellus seeing Butch, except in reverse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I know r/personalfinance is practically cheating but this is the good stuff

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/am2cv0/my_coworker_turned_down_a_200000_bonus_because_it

My coworker TURNED DOWN a $2000.00 bonus because it put him in the next tax bracket posted:

There has been a lot of misinformation on credible news sources regarding ways to "avoid moving into the next tax bracket". I've seen things about putting your money in a 401k, and IRA, an insurance fund. These aren't bad ideas, but they won't help you pay less taxes on the rest of your taxable income. If you live in the US, please educate yourself on the marginal tax system before listening to any of these articles.

So my co-worker, snidely grinning, explained how much smarter than me he was by turning down his yearly bonus because it would have put him from a 22% tax bracket into a 24%. He even showed me the article he read that explained the tactic that only geniuses like him know about. I seriously thought he was joking at first and eventually had to say the fateful words that started the 2 hour debate: "you know that's not how it works, right?"

We ended up calling his uncle, who owned 4 buy-and-hold rental properties. His aunt eventually got involved over speakerphone - They both backed him up completely and even praised him for his genius. I went on to get a CPA friend of mine on the phone and he laughed out loud for a good 30 seconds.

This is the saddest part: We both Googled the matter and he was able to find almost as many articles that backed up his argument as I was able to find articles that explained reality.

Toward the end of the 2 hour argument, he absolutely didn't agree with me, but I could tell he realized he'd messed up. He ended it with "lets just chalk it up to semantics...". The next morning he stopped me in the hall and thanked me for the lively debate the evening before, to which I replied "Hey I love debating, I learn something new every time I debate" (just to make him feel better), and he replied with "Well I didn't learn anything, but yeah... that was fun...". SMH

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress you say?! Really? I've never once done this. poo poo!

More so on used guns than new. Smaller (relative to the gigantic online shops selling a thousand guns a day) shops get worse pricing on new guns since they generally have to go through a middleman rather than ordering direct from Beretta, S&W, or whoever. So they're frequently only looking at $40-50 on a new gun even if it's $100-150 more than you can get it for online. Used guns they buy for less than half of what they're selling them for though.

We have a few FFLs (licensed gun dealers) in the subforum, they could probably go into it in more detail.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What was that option trading platform that got margin called last year? They had a really generic name and lost it all on natural gas futures or something.

OptionSellers.com. They made the Wall Street Journal over it. Twice.. "Worse for clients than Bernie Madoff" is a hard bar to clear.

Cyrano4747 posted:

House fires will make even the surviving bits of guns unsafe to use.

Sometimes they can be restored, though: Rusty Colt and the Mysterious Resurrection of Steel. Sadly most of the pictures are broken now, because of some technical mismatches and a broken certificate from nonentity's site.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Also, hello TFR neighbors. A fun range opened relatively close by and I am pleased that I don't have to drive an hour to shoot guns!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A few years ago, an airgun range opened up, and I bought a yearly membership and prepaid for some ammunition. The place ended up closing some months later due to not making enough money to pay the rent. Well that's my gun-related BWM story thanks for reading

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Phanatic posted:

A new one opened near me about a year ago. It's closed already. I think this had something to do with it.

https://6abc.com/education/2-arrested-following-gun-shop-burglary-in-malvern/3476479/

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact that the alarm company never bothered to inform cops "Hey, the gun store's been broken into," or the image of them walking across the road loaded down with stolen guns and just happening to cross the street right in front of a cop. It's like Marcellus seeing Butch, except in reverse.

In most cities you need to pay for a permit for the alarm system. Then you have to register the permit number with the alarm company. If they don't have that they will not call the police/fire. They should call the owner though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krispy Wafer posted:

Funny, it’s not as loud as I expected.

Also just to get the ball rolling, AR stands for assault rifle - discuss.

isnt it Armalite Rifle or am i getting wooshed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's Augmented Rifling, which is a form of barrel rifling introduced in the late 40s. The Russians introduced it with the AK ( глупый новичок ), which is phonetically correct but still confusing.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Someone tried to save time by drying out their sig in an oven.

wtf were they drying?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the m in m4 stands for mixalot

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a troubling code word used to identify your brethren who share the same goal of:

AgeOfConsent
RedefinedTo

Republicans
In
Favor of
Legalized
Ephebophilia

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Um factually wrong? That’s kind of like saying BMW stands for “big motor wagon”

:colbert: Next Question.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Big Money Waster.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Man I wish someone was around to give me insight into what it's like to drive the ultimate edition of the ultimate driving machine, specifically an BMW M2 Competition Spec because hoo-boy that poo poo is NOICE.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

isnt it Armalite Rifle or am i getting wooshed

The "R" is from the second letter in "Armalite." If the "R" were for "Rifle" then the AR-17 wouldn't have been a shotgun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Man I wish someone was around to give me insight into what it's like to drive the ultimate edition of the ultimate driving machine, specifically an BMW M2 Competition Spec because hoo-boy that poo poo is NOICE.

Hey, first of all, apologies for not responding to this post sooner. I'm at work and can't check the forums as often as I'd like.

Really I'd like to describe my satisfaction in three categories:

1. Zoom - The car accelerates so quickly that you feel like an expensive horse or large caliber rifle has kicked you square in the chest and sent you flying into the seat's Dakota leather (with light-up M2 logo)
2. Handling - This thing grips the road harder than a BFC poster clings to their bad decisions. I can phone-post, miss the warning signs of a sharp turn ahead, and still slide through it with no trouble.
3. Street appeal - While far from the flashiest car in existence, I think the blue is really pretty, and the Laguna name makes me think of the trips I used to take to Laguna Seca raceway with my dad

I have no other experience with BMWs, or 2-series, or even older models of the M2, so I can't compare them, but I will say that the M2 Competition Spect gets a resounding two thumbs up from THIS particular GoGoGadgetChris.

Also thank you for asking! Seriously ask me about it any time

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

Also, hello TFR neighbors. A fun range opened relatively close by and I am pleased that I don't have to drive an hour to shoot guns!

Lovin' this typo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

[nsfw]https://i.imgur.com/Q6irw6N.jpg[/nsfw]

:colbert: Next Question.

Dude, some of us are at work. You can't post hot pics like that untagged.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This is at its heart a thread from BFC. So if guns are insurance in the case of societal collapse your team winning a Super Bowl, what would be considered the whole-life insurance of guns?

Whole-life insurance of cars: Tesla (honorable mention: 90k truck)
Whole-life insurance of pets: Horse (honorable mention: monkey)

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Dude, some of us are at work. You can't post hot pics like that untagged.

Wanna buy my E34/S50US touring money pit?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Guns are extra bwm for britgoons. Himselfs father, who also has umpteen bows and arrows, is a gun nut now. All sorts of them, in a safe, and he has the explody certificate to make his own bullets. He lives in a posh market town, for God's sake

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That said, after brexit the egg is gonna be on my face

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

Wanna buy my E34/S50US touring money pit?

This is a trick question right? Can you deliver it in the dead of night so my wife doesn't see it until potentially weeks later?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

This is a trick question right? Can you deliver it in the dead of night so my wife doesn't see it until potentially weeks later?

Do you live in Washington State?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

This is at its heart a thread from BFC. So if guns are insurance in the case of societal collapse your team winning a Super Bowl, what would be considered the whole-life insurance of guns?

Holland and Holland (honorable mention: Barrett 82A1)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Murderball posted:

Is Whole-Life meaning Bad Idea? Overpriced Thing?

AR10s (non-standardized platform with insanely finicky fit across manufacturers, and comparatively expensive to maintain and operate)

Kel-Tec (because it's a piece of poo poo)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

quote:

I took a loan from my 401K to buy my Stoner 63A for $12K. Given its value now days I should have drained my 401K and bought more of them. Otherwise I do not go into debt for anything these days. House paid off, car paid, no debt at all.
This was a good money decision.

It's hard to put an exact price on one now but it's probably close to six figures. The only recent sale I could quickly find was a dealer's sample which very few people are eligible to purchase. It sold for $28k in 2017. Machine guns don't go down in value.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is Whole-Life meaning Bad Idea? Overpriced Thing?

AR10s (non-standardized platform with insanely finicky fit across manufacturers, and comparatively expensive to maintain and operate)

Kel-Tec (because it's a piece of poo poo)

Whole life insurance is "gimmick in place of real useful thing that exists solely to trick people into giving the person who is selling it money"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
FN Five-seveN, then!!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
How does body armour work and where does it stand in the gwm bwm scale?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

It's hard to put an exact price on one now but it's probably close to six figures. The only recent sale I could quickly find was a dealer's sample which very few people are eligible to purchase. It sold for $28k in 2017. Machine guns don't go down in value.

There's a guy near me who has a transferable Stoner 63, and it's worth about as much as my house. (Admittedly housing is relatively cheap here and my house isn't especially nice or big.)

Machineguns do go down in value occasionally, but usually not that much, and not for that long. http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Furia posted:

How does body armour work and where does it stand in the gwm bwm scale?

Agains the poster above you? bwm.