Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

A fun fact about me is that I speedrun old JRPGs, and I have the WR in Final Fantasy 5 Any% (and top 10 in Chrono Trigger that I'll be trying to push lower).

That's awesome. I'm gonna watch it.

Squiggly posted:

I believe we met in real life my man

Possibly. I don't remember much about the meet or who was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my name is snooze cruise, i am a beatiful person, my first mafia game was yellow submarine or something, my favorite mafia memory is any game sombererro ran, what i like about mafia is getting attention, thank you

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am being attacked for having bad memory

your first ecco game was "Invasion from Beyond the Stars!", in 2014. idk about other games I'm sure there were others

Jose Valasquez posted:

A fun fact about me is that I speedrun old JRPGs, and I have the WR in Final Fantasy 5 Any% (and top 10 in Chrono Trigger that I'll be trying to push lower).

I will also tell the thread and community broadly that as far as I know I have the World Record in the hit 1991 MS-DOS video game SkiFree.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 24, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

wait when did you actually get the WR?

November 2021 :clint:

redneck nazgul posted:

That's awesome. I'm gonna watch it.

https://youtu.be/URTLipG9h7E

FFV is cutscene heavy, skip the first 20 minutes or so

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CapitalistPig posted:

I ran this! 8 dollars did the flavor.

I really enjoyed working with 8 bux

Honestly I'm going to have to go back and reread it, because for a variety of factors I don't remember like barely anything before late 2015 so that game has 200% been memory holed

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

your first ecco game was "Invasion from Beyond the Stars!", in 2014. idk about other games I'm sure there were others

I will also tell the thread and community broadly that as far as I know I have the World Record in the hit 1991 MS-DOS video game SkiFree.

:eyepop:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
My name is Squiggly.

Apparently my first game was Back to the Beginning run by winvirus in 2011. I thought it was earlier, but apparently that was just me being on SA.

My favorite game was definitely Yami's Choose somebody else's role Mafia where someone made the role of Fibber. Essentially, whatever I last said my role was became my role. It was the most fun I've ever had in a mafia game and I dream of a game where I could reprise it. My roles throughout the game included:

Squiggly posted:

It seems like there's a few people confused about my role so maybe this will clarify things

I'm Michael Jackson and each night I can choose a man in the mirror who receives all the actions directed at me for that night

I'm a smooth criminal who can't be roleblocked

If a child visits me I autowin the game and that child receives the item "Jesus Juice" (???)

Squiggly posted:

Eh?

I'm actually Canada, our northern neighbors. We are dissatisfied with our government, though, and as such we will swarm the borders and become confirmed town masons with 3 people at night because we are the friendliest of folk.

Because an alien knows one when it seems one, I will receive information in our Mason channel if any of them are aliens, including alien babies.

We are expert hiders so don't try and find us since we'll all be in our super secret untraceable Mason hideout

Squiggly posted:

The darkness...hungers...

The ground shakes as the beast moves. Tremors are felt for miles as The Great One awakens.

The myths of old told of his return, and now it is upon us. Rejoice, as all true worshippers will be blessed!

For you see, I am Cthulhu. Long have I slumbered but now I am awake and hungry. An otherworldly presence has called to me, and I come forth to take this alien presence home with me.

At night I will carry one soul that has become two back home with me to the unyielding and untargetable abyss, removing any foreign presence from their body and returning the abducted soul to the mortal plane the next day.

In return, I will take a soul tomorrow when I ##DEVOUR them. A life for a life. The price will be paid.

The hunger must be sated...

Squiggly posted:

gently caress it I don't see any way around this

## DEVOUR AA

With his belly full, Cthulhu takes a massive poo poo. Rummaging through the feces, the Omni Consumer Corporation finds the remains of what looks like a Canadian. Several Canadians in fact. They take the parts back to headquarters and begin construction.

-POWER UP-

I AM ROBOCOP. BEEP BOOP BEEP. WITH THE PROCESSING POWER ONLY A MACHINE COULD EXHIBIT I HAVE A LOCK ON ALL OF THE REMAINING PLAYERS IN THE GAME AND WILL INVESTIGATE EACH OF THEM TONIGHT GETTING EITHER A TOWN OR NOT TOWN RESULT

DO NOT TRY AND STOP ME. A MACHINE IS UNSTOPPABLE. RESISTANCE TO THE PRIME DIRECTIVE IS FUTILE. MY MISSION WILL BE COMPLETED. THE FUTURE IS SECURE

-POWER DOWN-

I devoured the cop and won the next day after claiming space in vienna was scum after saving her from alien serial killer death. My last role didn't even work, yami straight up said "absolutely not and town is dumb if they think I would ever do that." It was glorious.

Fun fact is that I used to be an actor (as a kid and briefly after college) before switching careers. I had a line in the film "Minority Report" and have Stephen Spielberg's autograph. He told me to keep acting. I'm so sorry to be a disappointment to you, Mr. Spielberg

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jose Valasquez posted:

EccoRaven posted:

Both of these are actually really cool

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Monathin posted:

Honestly I'm going to have to go back and reread it, because for a variety of factors I don't remember like barely anything before late 2015 so that game has 200% been memory holed

The game itself was a little lackluster because a lot of it was me experimenting with role ideas that didn't really work together and it resulted in a lot of people grumbling about the setup, the flavor was top notch though as any 8 bux flavor was.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

EccoRaven posted:

you are actually somehow beating the world record for every category by ten seconds, https://www.speedrun.com/skifree/full_game?h=Slalom&x=zd3ll0yd

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what on earth is happening in here now

EccoRaven are you saying MS-DOS game SkiFree natively drew a window dialogue to display high scores, or, is that actually a windows 3.1+ game? This is not an epic own I'm just the kind of person who notices hidden inaccuracies in people's statements and becomes suspicious.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Leperflesh posted:

EccoRaven are you saying MS-DOS game SkiFree natively drew a window dialogue to display high scores, or, is that actually a windows 3.1+ game? This is not an epic own I'm just the kind of person who notices hidden inaccuracies in people's statements and becomes suspicious.

it's the windows 3.1+ version, the game was just released on MS-DOS so I thought I'd be cute in describing it

https://ski.ihoc.net/#download

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finally some drama :twisted:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

what on earth is happening in here now

Community building!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is why we call her Ecco "Todd Rogers" Raven!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ecco's entire life is ski free, i can't believe someone would go after her like this

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm Mord.

My first Mafia game was Chaos in Concord in 2010. I remember nothing from that game.

I am for consistency in that I am consistently bad. But really though, I actually am terrible at Mafia so I don't really do anything as a player anymore. A lot of is tends to stem from laziness. I just cannot be bothered to spend the time to put in the research and make the effort to construct a reasonable argument. This is a personal failing of mine and a reason that I don't generally find playing Mafia to be fun. Personally, I prefer running Mafia games because building a Mafia game feels a little like building a puzzle box - only to have someone come and immediately smash it. :3

My favorite personal memory was when playing DBZ Mafia 2, I was convinced that the person who was Goku was actually Cell. I drew a picture to convince people -

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

it's the windows 3.1+ version, the game was just released on MS-DOS so I thought I'd be cute in describing it

https://ski.ihoc.net/#download

ok ok maybe you're not a scum but I have my eyes on you, one more slip up and you'll prematurely win the game by not having to play any more right to the moon

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite personal memory was when playing DBZ Mafia 2, I was convinced that the person who was Goku was actually Cell. I drew a picture to convince people -

This picture is heightened if you know the REAL twist of DBZ Mafia 2

Also I remember being so loving pissed arguing with you about Cell, lmao

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My favorite memory of Mord is when he read the prologue to Way of Kings but didn't like it. That was a classic

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

EccoRaven posted:

I think we should say our handles, our first mafia game, a favorite mafia memory, and why we like to play mafia and/or something fun about ourselves.

My handle is Natural20 formerly known as Yorkshire Tea in the annals of times gone by (Super weird given that my best friend goes by that handle, not me... don't ask about accounts)

My first mafia game was The Last Bastion, a very very odd Mafia sortof alike that I had fun with. I think my first real mafia game was Mega Man Mafia where I rolled Crash man and it was awesome.

My favourite mafia memory is easy. I played Shine V, a Soldiers game and got made an advisor by a poster who will remain nameless. I happened to also be scum. I spent the next three weeks poisoning their thought process and fundamentally destroying them in the game.

Of course we fell in love with each other.

I travelled to literally the other side of the world to see them in what is probably the happiest holiday I've had in my life and to this day I talk to them every day and those conversations remain a firm highlight of what I do.

I play mafia because at university I did competitive debating and loved every moment of it. Eventually I grew too old and competitive debating ends once you leave university. And absent it I had lost both an avenue by which I could let out my competitive spirit and just discuss things and analyse new circumstances. Mafia gives me that outlet and it's really important to me as a result.

I think something fun about me is that I also maintain a massive series of let's plays with my best friend in the LP forum and you should definitely check them out. I think this Hollow Knight one is the best we ever did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avd2zWZ8SYU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hello, I'm Bif, I'm the "enjoys getting any pronouns" type of enby mom, getting either he or she is a little more fun to me than "they", but seriously not fussed about it

My first Mafia games were Auspol-only ones, but I crossed over to the rest of the TG crowd when CPig started running his Final Fantasy games.

I posted a bit earlier about how I like to play Mafia cause it's like a playground for conflict in a place where it doesn't really matter. I like to cultivate a persona for this game, of thirsting for townie blood and so on, just to embrace the fact that I will be constantly wrong. But in real life I'm extremely conflict averse!

One other big reason I like to play Mafia is cause it creates so many crazy stories and fun memories. So it's very hard to pick one. But the one with the undeniably greatest impact on my life was- gdi efb lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh right before I got distracted seeing Nat had brought up Shine V first, I was gonna post that a fun thing about me is I love karaoke, and sometimes try and perform mashup versions by singing different lyrics over a karaoke track. The wildest one I ever got away with was William Maranci's "Bohemian WAPsody".

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
hello it's Deadbeat Dad. I think my first game was Terminator Mafia in 2007. Wow I've been here 16 years. I'm 33 now so I started playing when I was 17!

My favorite games from memory were the first Harry Potter mafia in 2007. Way too much funny poo poo happened although I re-read the first few pages and yeah, there's already some definite 2007 discussion in terms of what would be faux pas or straight up bad today. But still, an amazing game back then. Also Dragnix held a grudge with me OOT for a bit of the game despite my role being to betray him as his scumbuddy!) but like 10 other things happened this game that was just absurd.

edit: found the old wiki which has some moments from it, definitely not all of them, but still.. also edited terms we don't use anymore.

Old Wiki posted:

Alasdair (town, Snape) thought that Xythar (town) was Dumbledore. He decided it would be funny to have Snape kill Dumbledore, and used a one-shot vig-kill on Xythar. He then lied about it in-thread. The lie also ended up causing the voting out of two town players, and was not revealed as a lie until late in the game. The town found it significantly less funny than Alasdair did. This is the start of the phrase "Alasdair lied, townies died." Alasdair was later declared a "loving douche" by chellesandcheese for inappropriate behavior in the thread and mod killed.

Tired Daemon (SK, Vernon Dursley) decided that the fake claim given to him by the mods (Fleur) was no fun, and so decided to give himself a post restriction and post in character as Mr. Filch. Trouble was Mr. Filch was also in the game, played by Stabbing Spork. Stabbing Spork was voted out first, and TD was voted out the next day.

Ecco was siblings with Deadbeat Dad (the Patil twins). The two would have won the game if they were the last ones standing; Ecco was a cop, while DD was a mafia doctor. DD told Ecco all the other scum at the start of the game, and the two worked together to keep the balance of the game in their favor, coordinating the mafia's night actions and voting the right players in-thread.
However, in a freak roleclaim made by another third party, the mafia, after many of their own were voted out by the Ecco-DD team, realized DD was siblings with Ecco. One of them (GZ) fullclaimed mafia out of anger, in an attempt to get Ecco voted out. When that failed, the mafia then made DD nightkill himself, taking Ecco down as well (since they were siblings).

During LYLO, Women's Rights (town, Ron Weasley) cast the wrong vote against Jose Valesquez (town, a hufflepuff) and scum won the game. Jose has yet to forgive WR for this.

Also this game from Ecco where one of my scum teammates and I couldn't talk OOT and they unknowingly blew up me and another scum teammate and then our last member got voted out D1, where town won after N1. I don't think has happened since.

A lot of newer players don't really know me since I haven't played that much recently, but I think according to votefinder I was like top 3 or 5 in games made at some point and I miss doing that, but I kind of like making and playing in FRG or FRG-adjacent games (or pretending I'm going to make them) more, although I do dabble in a game once every year. I have an original Dark Hospital series that I am proud of. My favorite games to play in are Somberbrero games since his concepts and flavor are amazing.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh right before I got distracted seeing Nat had brought up Shine V first, I was gonna post that a fun thing about me is I love karaoke, and sometimes try and perform mashup versions by singing different lyrics over a karaoke track. The wildest one I ever got away with was William Maranci's "Bohemian WAPsody".

one time I watched a video of this dude who just recited the chorus of Head Like A Hole over a karaoke track for Party In The USA

it's one of those things where it wasn't really all that funny but for some reason, to me, it's a sidesplitter

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

I think we should say our handles, our first mafia game, a favorite mafia memory, and why we like to play mafia and/or something fun about ourselves.

I am Grandicap, my first game was 2010's Consequences Mafia, run by Voodoofly, Chili, and Soru and it informed my modding style very heavily. I have too many favorite memories from mafia to count, but some early ones are feeding scum information with my role in consequences (as a side effect), then catching them for having knowledge they shouldn't have, then completely believing the survivor claim and letting them go before some vets called me an idiot and executed him. I think it was Cidrick, but I'm not super sure. My first scum game was GoldenZucchini's Final Fantasy II, where we got a flawless scum victory and a quick hammer for the win because I couldn't go to sleep because of adrenaline from the game, so I got out of bed and all of the scum were around to drop the hammer because a townie misvoted. I still chase that feeling. My first Fire and Ice game in Khabeum's Covert Ops was absurdly fun, in a 15 player game there was a 4 man scum team with an usurper, a 3 man scum team, and a cult recruiter. More non-town than town that game.
As for newer stuff, I've slowed the gently caress down but calling the shot in WIFOA:Eternal Twilight and getting SiV as a mason partner and treating it as a confirmed masonry was awesome. And running Cookfias (Especially getting forced to make Voodoo's role more and more complex). And being a new mod guide for the past couple of years has been a lot of fun, seeing this community grow is awesome.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Didn't you run Solium Infernum Mafia where I thoroughly insisted I needed the crown to become the prettiest?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

hello it's Deadbeat Dad. I think my first game was Terminator Mafia in 2007. Wow I've been here 16 years. I'm 33 now so I started playing when I was 17!

My favorite games from memory were the first Harry Potter mafia in 2007. Way too much funny poo poo happened although I re-read the first few pages and yeah, there's already some definite 2007 discussion in terms of what would be faux pas or straight up bad today. But still, an amazing game back then. Also Dragnix held a grudge with me OOT for a bit of the game despite my role being to betray him as his scumbuddy!) but like 10 other things happened this game that was just absurd.

edit: found the old wiki which has some moments from it, definitely not all of them, but still.. also edited terms we don't use anymore.
This is when I learned that being right isn't enough, if you're an rear end in a top hat people will vote you out anyway

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is when I learned that being right isn't enough, if you're an rear end in a top hat people will vote you out anyway

Yeah, I think the lesson of "Being right doesn't matter if you can't convince anybody else" is one everybody learns at some point.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Natural 20 posted:

I think something fun about me is that I also maintain a massive series of let's plays with my best friend in the LP forum and you should definitely check them out. I think this Hollow Knight one is the best we ever did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avd2zWZ8SYU

I agree with this by the way, Nat's LPs are fantastic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm Opop, formerly Retro Futurist, formerly Opop.

My first game here was Amoeba's Plainsville, which was full of reverse death millers and set up me up for a career full of failure.

My favorite game was anytime I was scum or sk, and my favorite memory was both SCUMHUNTER and the bloodbath that followed it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't really play anymore but I lurk and sometimes butt into conversations so I will participate

Hello my name is IcePhoenix.

I don't think it was my first mafia game but the first one that I remember is Nat20's DBZ mafia 2 that mord already posted about.

My favorite mafia moment was in the Persona 5 Mafia game that I ran. In the setup I made the Phantom Thieves a separate alignment but their win condition was just the same as town. While my pipe dream was that it would cause the town to not trust them/worry about them in a similar manner to the actual game, I figured that because of how many players in the game had played P5 they would just see through it. But they didn't! There were a few days where people were treating the Phantom Thieves as a third alignment with different goals and it made me very happy that something I threw in like that worked out exactly how I had hoped it would.

I like to play mafia for the puzzle solving as well. I usually don't like to get scum roles even though I think the best overall game I played was probably as scum in Octopath Traveler Mafia. But at some point it stopped being as fun.

There is nothing fun about me something fun about me is that I sang the national anthem at the first Minnesota Twins game after 9/11

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

for the next round, each user will have to declare their petty rivalries.

I'll go first: pinter-

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
handles, our first mafia game, a favorite mafia memory, and why we like to play mafia and/or something fun about ourselves.

I'm IA, but I've also been Doctor Idle, Anomalous Amalgam, Ghostly & Ghastly Gangsta, Naga Liu Kang and a couple others that I've forgotten.

My first mafia game was probably Somberbrero's Golgatha in 2014?

I think it would be hard to pin down any specific "favorite" mafia memory for me, but it suffices to say the Shine games were a lot of fun, Pig's FF series have been some of my favorite games. Pleading for my life as Mustadio in tactics lol. I once got partnered with Ecco in a star trek game as a lover when I was still kind of new at the game and we had the most business-like and brief conversation over PM and that's always been hilarious to me. But yeah, anytime I roll scum or 3p are what I would consider favorites. I wish we could do a best of and just completely re-run old setups as open setups.

I like playing because most everyone here is passably funny or the drama that arises in-game is usually passably funny(when it's not emotionally catastrophic for anyone). It's entertaining to see how people deal with pressure and interrogation, how people question and think. It's also probably made me more subtly compelling in my professional life.

Unfortunately, there's not much that I can think of that I would say is "fun" about me. I'm a dork of average competence and limited skill, but I get by, I suppose.

e: anecdote for "fun", in the eighth grade, on the last day of school they called me to make a basketball shot for some reason, unexpectedly, in front of like 400 people and I completely vault the ball nowhere even close to the backboard then shamefully slink out of the auditorium to not be seen for the remainder of the school year.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 25, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jump King posted:

The people I most enjoyed seeing lose were merk and TNL because they arrogantly always thought they’d win

They were good tho

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jump King posted:

merk was always my rival in games, then we teamed up in Survivor and now we're best friends

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jump King posted:

there is no one fit to be my rival when it comes to social deception games

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf is my mortal nemesis

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
im Dick Bastardly

my first Mafia game was a game ran by Kashuno that was based on a demolition derby or something like that, I remember there being cars. forgot the final outcome.

fav maf memory is probably obscured by a drug and alcohol haze but my favorite mafia games are those with really fun mechanics and flavor. Shine, Cloaks, any Ecco game, pokemonfia immediately come to mind but there's so many. so drat many good ones. Also, I like a lot of the personalities that play this game on this forum on this world wide web from the past, now, and hopefully in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

There is nothing fun about me something fun about me is that I sang the national anthem at the first Minnesota Twins game after 9/11

Y'know how sometimes stuff bubbles up in your brain that you don't realize you knew? I'm not even a big baseball fan but I vividly remember they played the Tigers that game