Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The most recent DBD miniseries is a pro read. They let a Thai writer write about Thai characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

angerbot posted:

I liked the show, but it wasn't exactly strong. I think my favorite character was Tragic Mick and that's not a great endorsement of the main cast.

A-yup.

I liked it more, but it doesn't help that netflix has like a thousand shows about teenagers fighting supernatural stuff.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedit posted:

The most recent DBD miniseries is a pro read. They let a Thai writer write about Thai characters.

Seconded. I still found it a bit confusing, but then a) I know next to nothing about Thai mythology, and b) I read it in a bit of a hurry. Definitely worth a reread though, now I know how it ends.

I loved the look into the various traumas the Thai characters faced - such as facing hostility for variously being perceived as Japanese or Chinese, or being forced by their parents to move to a country that in many ways they regard as backwards compared to Thailand. It's the kinds of insight you only get with a writer who writes from their own cultural perspective.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alhazred posted:

I liked it more, but it doesn't help that netflix has like a thousand shows about teenagers fighting supernatural stuff.

a bunch of people on twitter were mad they made this show when they cancelled Lockwood & Co. which was a very similar ilk of show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The rest of the Endless have been cast.
Esmé Creed-Miles as Delirium
Adrian Lester as Destiny
Barry Sloane as “The Prodigal” aka Destruction.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One of those should probably be in spoilers as it's a bit of a reveal surely? Like obviously they call him the prodigal for the search portion because the fact that he's destruction and gave it up is supposed to be a surprise to the audience right. They don't call him Destruction in the casting reveal video either so they're clearly treating it the same way.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Assuming this season is covering Season of Mists and A Game of You, isn't the only time the Prodigal shows up in The Song of Orpheus, pre-abdication?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Remalle posted:

Assuming this season is covering Season of Mists and A Game of You, isn't the only time the Prodigal shows up in The Song of Orpheus, pre-abdication?

I think so, yeah. I know it's unrealistic, but I hope this show gets enough seasons that it hits the rest of volume 3 and covers volume 6 and 7, at least. They absolutely have to do Season of Mists because it's the most popular Sandman story and A Game of You for obvious reasons, but Brief Lives is my favorite comic book volume and probably always will be. I really want to see them do the hand-washing from the end of it. Obviously, the Prodigal will be important in setting that scene up.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 20, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Netflix_Sandman/status/1792555883051745298?t=ZrPN0gVku1V-ASLVfHPgtA&s=19

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Remalle posted:

They are also doing Brief Lives

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That is my favorite arc. Very excited. Delirium woo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Looking at some of that casting for The Endless, but other than Death (better) and Desire (equal) i think the radio versions are just better casting. Maybe that's unfair since the episodes for some of these aren't out yet but Barry Sloane, in particular, is a real head scratcher. Guess he's what you get when you want Tom Hardy and Cosmo Jarvis isn't available.

But, like, hats off to these guys and I'm sure they'll be fine, but this Delerium isn't beating Kristen Schaal. And then you've got James McAvoy and Miriam Margolis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Looking at some of that casting for The Endless, but other than Death (better) and Desire (equal) i think the radio versions are just better casting. Maybe that's unfair since the episodes for some of these aren't out yet but Barry Sloane, in particular, is a real head scratcher. Guess he's what you get when you want Tom Hardy and Cosmo Jarvis isn't available.

But, like, hats off to these guys and I'm sure they'll be fine, but this Delerium isn't beating Kristen Schaal. And then you've got James McAvoy and Miriam Margolis.

I think Kirby is great and am super glad with the casting, but I honestly think Kat has pretty much exactly the voice I pictured reading the book. Just the right mix of funny and serious.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I liked this show but some eps like the diner one dragged pretty hard.

loved the one where he meets a friend

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They are also doing Brief Lives

It's still sort of hard to tell if they're doing it or they just did an episode with the title.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can pretend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It's still sort of hard to tell if they're doing it or they just did an episode with the title.

Casting sheets show they cast Bernie Capax, the guy who gets killed and Death delivers her iconic You Get a Lifetime line to, and his family. The casting notes also show that Wanda has been combined with the driver character from Brief Lives, since I think they are gonna put those two stories side by side since Dream hasn't much to do with Game of You until the end

As for the casting, visually I think they are all spot on, although I am disappointed my dream casting for Destiny (Peter Capaldi) didn't happen, but that's not on them that's on me ha.