Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Triskelli posted:

If you're still looking for a name, "Bashin' City Boyz" is my pitch for the Frank Miller reference.

I'll add it to the list of ideas. Whole lot better than most of the suggestions I've been getting (foolishly posted on Reddit; I've gotten mostly fire and volcano puns, a handful of people who actually got the inspiration, and three separate users who suggested Holocaust references).

Two done today, nerve pain is making a third difficult but I might manage; if I do I'll roll them into the next post. Puts me at 7 remaining models, out of the original 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nice.

Are your Orks actually grey-skinned or are you doing Greyscale painting of regular Orks with red accent?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Issaries posted:

Nice.

Are your Orks actually grey-skinned or are you doing Greyscale painting of regular Orks with red accent?

Greyscale with red accents is the intent. I did do a little research on whether actual grey skin was possible for them, and came to the conclusion "probably not". Mostly I just wanted orks that would stand out compared to other forces, especially if anyone else locally picks up Kommandos. Figured I would never do a full size force like this, but twelve models is a lot easier of a sell.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SkyeAuroline posted:

Greyscale with red accents is the intent. I did do a little research on whether actual grey skin was possible for them, and came to the conclusion "probably not". Mostly I just wanted orks that would stand out compared to other forces, especially if anyone else locally picks up Kommandos. Figured I would never do a full size force like this, but twelve models is a lot easier of a sell.

All things are possible with Gork and Mork.

These look cool and don't you dare let anyone tell you that orks can't be whatever fuckin color you decide to paint them.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
most mushrooms aren't green so it's fine

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Orks cannot be human flesh tones.

Trust me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
where do you think oggren come from

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
stupid sexy orks

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought it was stupid sexless orks

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

EdsTeioh posted:

NINJA EDIT: Link removed; not sure if it's cool to link to podcasts and such in this thread.

Link the podcast lol

Id love to hear a weathering chat

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Linking to painting related podcasts is definitely cool. In that vein, I recommend Paint Perspective, podcast by the guys at Siege Studios. It's on apple, spotify etc, but also video form on youtube

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

scopes posted:

Awful photos, but I decided to go back and touch up the first mini I've ever taken to completion, back in December when I dug out the old Assault on Black Reach box. I think I'm happy with it, I just need to get some clear coat on it so I can stop fuckin' with it and get on to finish some of these other drat units.

Really like the metal on this lad, what a unit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Made this for a friend's birthday, where I tried to make the wolf look like her husky. Had a lot of fun with the base.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Very cool! But I sure hope the rider isn't in the likeness of your friend

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bucnasti posted:

All things are possible with Gork and Mork.

These look cool and don't you dare let anyone tell you that orks can't be whatever fuckin color you decide to paint them.

Don't worry, well aware. Basically everything I paint is different from the canon schemes by choice. I was just curious at the outset whether it had precedent.

e: Editing to not double post, but the Nob is done minus some cleanup I didn't notice until later:

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 18, 2024

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Yes, what are you trying to do?

Magnetize weapon load outs for a sentinal from 40k. I don't know what size drill bit to use for the magnets I gog.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

a pale ghost posted:

Magnetize weapon load outs for a sentinal from 40k. I don't know what size drill bit to use for the magnets I gog.

I dont want to be captain obvious here but... The same size as (or the next size larger than) your magnets? Like if your magnet is 3mm diameter then the hole needs to be at least that wide, if you use 4mm then that gives you a little bit of play which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I dont want to be captain obvious here but... The same size as (or the next size larger than) your magnets? Like if your magnet is 3mm diameter then the hole needs to be at least that wide, if you use 4mm then that gives you a little bit of play which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think my drill bits have size labels. Do I eye it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

a pale ghost posted:

I don't think my drill bits have size labels. Do I eye it?

A lot of bits do have etched sizes on the shank. You can measure them with a pair of calipers as well. You can also put the shank end butted up against a ruler, and measure the diameter that way.

And the most fool proof, just drill some test holes with your bits in a scrap piece of wood, and see which one the magnets fit into.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You can also just hold the bits up against the magnet and find rhe closest size.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Potato pictures, but hopefully good enough.
I would really appreciate some feedback both in general and to some specific questions I have.

Everything is obviously very WIP so there is still room to make changes and improvements and I have to fix the places where the paint has scraped off slightly due to me transporting unvarnished minis to play with them.
Specific questions -
1. The wings on the wyvern. I sort of waffle between "I like these", "They look kinda chalky or messy and I should keep the scheme but go back and do them over again" and "Actually, they should be more contrasting, like a yellowy flesh color". Thoughts? Also, the thing under his saddle is meant to look like fur, but absolutely does not atm so I'm going to have to go back and fix that.
2. The skin color of the gobbos and orks. Right now it's sort of a pinkish pale teal or turqouise but I've been thinking, maybe I should make them more green and shade them with some dark blue.
And more in general - does the scheme work, does it look like crap etc. I'm leaning towards making the bases a greyish brown with some dried grass tufts and snow.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, you can do it one of 2 ways; either painting it on, then spraying it with some sort of activator (which I think is either some sort of peroxide or heavily diluted acid; basically anything very acidic) or else mixing it with white vinegar while you're painting. Ends up looking like this:

That smell if you're using vinegar is hydrogen sulfide from common contaminants, and any of these rust reactions will be exothermic. Do it with good ventilation and mind the temperature.

You can also just suspend rust in isopropyl then apply it, let it dry, and varnish. This is an old scale modeler's trick.

Dirty Down Rust and Ammo by MiG's U-Rust kit are readymade options and don't stink as bad. Dirty Dust is super finicky and takes practice to use, but it is adjustable with water and can get incredible results if you put in the time to learn to use it. I haven't tried U-Rust yet, though.

EdsTeioh posted:

NINJA EDIT: Link removed; not sure if it's cool to link to podcasts and such in this thread.

I'm not a mod but nobody's gonna be mad at all if you link a useful guide.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a good time making cars for Gaslands. I still need to finish a car and a couple of bike for my Miyazaki team, then I'll be ready to try and convince people to play the game.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Finally got around to finishing the bigger version.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 19, 2024

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

w00tmonger posted:

Link the podcast lol

Id love to hear a weathering chat

Bohemian Nights posted:

Linking to painting related podcasts is definitely cool. In that vein, I recommend Paint Perspective, podcast by the guys at Siege Studios. It's on apple, spotify etc, but also video form on youtube

Ok cool; it's really more of a Necromunda podcast, but painting and weathering comes up a lot. They even gave my dumb poscast a shout on the last ep:

https://www.instagram.com/necromachoentertainment/

https://podbay.fm/p/necromacho-entertainment-a-necromunda-podcast

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Finally got around to finishing the bigger version.

The freehand is sick.

(I mean, it's all sick, but the free hand is like the Covid to the rest of the paintjob's common cold).

Edit - the smol Morathi looks stock but this one is sci-fi-ified? Not using them for the same game?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 19, 2024

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Z the IVth posted:

The freehand is sick.

(I mean, it's all sick, but the free hand is like the Covid to the rest of the paintjob's common cold).

Edit - the smol Morathi looks stock but this one is sci-fi-ified? Not using them for the same game?

Oh lol it's not freehand, made some decals

Edit- the smolrathi is kitbashed to stand on a pile of trash, the samurai sword and the mechatendrils I made out of green stuff.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 19, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Blended gradients look so much better than sharp highlights on edges https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DISwa59kPpg

Still can't believe people say "everything is better painted today"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Don't worry, well aware. Basically everything I paint is different from the canon schemes by choice. I was just curious at the outset whether it had precedent.

e: Editing to not double post, but the Nob is done minus some cleanup I didn't notice until later:

Fell behind yesterday and only did the Nob, so making up for it today by doing 3 guys (would do a fourth but not gonna have time). Generic Boy, Slasha Boy, and Snipa Boy:
I am increasingly reading these names with the cadence of Mega Man bosses

Three left to do in ~three days, which should be achievable. Family photo as a bonus, featuring the guardsmen who got cast aside for this project temporarily:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slowly picking away at my Vostroyans

First a Regimental Preacher, always loved this sculpt, nice to finally get some paint on it.

An Armoured Sentinel for my combat patrol. So much pin washing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Virtual Russian posted:

Slowly picking away at my Vostroyans

First a Regimental Preacher, always loved this sculpt, nice to finally get some paint on it.

An Armoured Sentinel for my combat patrol. So much pin washing.

Both of these look great - I love that preacher.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Painting more Reapers.

The orc was a freebie, along with an elf bard still in the painting queue.

This one is my favorite.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
shiny battlemech

another 6mm trash pile

i made a tutorial for the trash piles if you wanted to make some yourself
https://www.tumblr.com/porblegames/750906223217573888/lets-make-a-trash-pile-for-6mm-miniatures-start

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I've been painting up some kroot. I think it's very cool that the giant cannibal aliens also wear codpieces and thigh-highs.

some are less successful

things with my tau are,,, very discouraging though. I am not liking my paint scheme. Painting the capes pink and using yellow to blast them orange worked really well but isn't working for the tau armor. the greater good is looking like the greater mid at best and I thinking of repriming them. I can't get a good dark purple for their pants either.

This is definitely pushing me towards the hunting pack over the combat patrol but I'd like some goon eyes on these :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You fuckin scratch built these trash piles? :2monocle:

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Majkol posted:

Potato pictures, but hopefully good enough.
I would really appreciate some feedback both in general and to some specific questions I have.

~pix~

Everything is obviously very WIP so there is still room to make changes and improvements and I have to fix the places where the paint has scraped off slightly due to me transporting unvarnished minis to play with them.
Specific questions -
1. The wings on the wyvern. I sort of waffle between "I like these", "They look kinda chalky or messy and I should keep the scheme but go back and do them over again" and "Actually, they should be more contrasting, like a yellowy flesh color". Thoughts? Also, the thing under his saddle is meant to look like fur, but absolutely does not atm so I'm going to have to go back and fix that.
2. The skin color of the gobbos and orks. Right now it's sort of a pinkish pale teal or turqouise but I've been thinking, maybe I should make them more green and shade them with some dark blue.
And more in general - does the scheme work, does it look like crap etc. I'm leaning towards making the bases a greyish brown with some dried grass tufts and snow.

1. Definitely keep the wings.

2. I'm not a fan, but this is too close to personal preference and your vision for your army to really comment. I think the bigger issue is that you need a darker tint for the mid-tone and to use the current color as a highlight. It doesn't read as skin currently because the color is too flat. Which leads in to

General comments:
1. There's not enough value contrast—the shadows are too bright and the highlights are too dark. The wings wyvern wings are an exception here. Here's what your orks look like in black and white:

It looks like you've done some edge highlighting, but it doesn't stand out because nothing is darker than a neutral gray on the scale from black to white.

2. Whatever the creature from the black lagoon cum ogre looking things are look great.

3. You've made a few decisions with your scheme that make it difficult to execute: the purple that's the dominant color isn't very saturated (imperfect, but using an eye dropper on your ork banner yielded is a moderate, desaturated blue/purple.), and purple and blue make up most of the models but are analogous colors. Both of these choices make it harder to create contrast, and with minis being, well, miniature contrast is extra important. Yellow makes a good contrast, but there's too little of it. Consider trying a more saturated purple, and try to find ways to incorporate more yellow in each model (maybe paint one or both shoulder pads yellow?).

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Both of these look great - I love that preacher.

thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Starting a project involving Frenchies

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the 40k page

Finished up my Celestial Lions Relic Kratos. I'm using it as a proxy for a Repulsor Executioner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Looks really great! Nice weathering.