Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I have an unrooted, stock ICS Evo 3D and a rooted, new N4. What would be the best way to get my text messages to the new phone?

And as far as adblock goes, the ads it blocks are the ones in free ad supported apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes, it'll block those. As well as the vast majority of web advertisements and such. About the only thing it maybe doesn't work on is Youtube ads, though it's possible the one ad that was bugging me was just one that slipped through.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409782227"]
I have an unrooted, stock ICS Evo 3D and a rooted, new N4. What would be the best way to get my text messages to the new phone?

And as far as adblock goes, the ads it blocks are the ones in free ad supported apps?

You should be able to back up your messages to a XML file with Titanium Backup and restore that to the new phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Problem with that is that his Evo 3D isn't rooted. It's the best way to go if you're willing to root however.

There's also SMS Backup and Restore. I've never used it before, but it's got good reviews and doesn't require root.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

DemonMage posted:

Problem with that is that his Evo 3D isn't rooted. It's the best way to go if you're willing to root however.

There's also SMS Backup and Restore. I've never used it before, but it's got good reviews and doesn't require root.

I use it and I'm a big fan. It's a little slow since it stores all your sms in a special gmail folder but it's nice to have if you lose or destroy a phone, you can always get your sms folder back.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

DemonMage posted:

XML backups don't need root, might need the paid version though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Konjuro posted:

XML backups don't need root, might need the paid version though.
It works fine without root, I used it for years before Titanium got XML backups.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
And one more question, if I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted, is there anything else I should do before going hogwild installing apps and customizing settings?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409794934"]
And one more question, if I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted, is there anything else I should do before going hogwild installing apps and customizing settings?

Make a backup.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Make a couple backups, verify that the backups work and that you understand how to restore them.

Don't be that guy some pages back who realized his backup file was 0 kilobytes when he went to restore from a bootloop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Or the person who goes to restore after testing a new ROM and finds half his apps missing because the SD card filled up while /data was being backed up. That sucked.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Aatrek posted:

I really hope that app developers get their act together on Jelly Bean soon. CM10 is 'stable' but still slightly buggy on my Verizon GS3 - I could live with that - but it's just killing my battery since apps like LightFlow just hang and suck power like crazy.

I just want Voxer to get their poo poo together. Whenever I try to use it on any 4.1 ROMs for my One X it works for a few minutes, then kills the microphone OS wide until I Force Stop it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
On my new SGS3, large text messages are coming through as multiple texts instead of being automatically displayed as a single text message. Is this a known issue with CM10? If not, where should I start troubleshooting? I checked in the settings for both the stock messaging app and GoSMS, and both are set to treat messages received at the same time as a single message.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

On my new SGS3, large text messages are coming through as multiple texts instead of being automatically displayed as a single text message. Is this a known issue with CM10? If not, where should I start troubleshooting? I checked in the settings for both the stock messaging app and GoSMS, and both are set to treat messages received at the same time as a single message.

Is the person who is sending you the large text messages using the same provider as you?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Looks like the CM team just got 4.2 into their branches. Should be seeing 4.2 based nightlies before the end of the month, I'd hope.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Looks like the CM team just got 4.2 into their branches. Should be seeing 4.2 based nightlies before the end of the month, I'd hope.
Great, I was getting sick of a nice-looking and functional lockscreen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Great, I was getting sick of a nice-looking and functional lockscreen.

No one's making you update. And since their lockscreen has been fairly customizable, you'll probably be able to disable the widgets anyhow.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Can anyone tell me if superoneclick will successfully root a Global/Tegra HTC One X running the recently released HTC Jellybean upgrade?

I'm really confused as I can't find any information referencing this, it all relates to the original ICS the phone comes out with.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Execu-speak posted:

Can anyone tell me if superoneclick will successfully root a Global/Tegra HTC One X running the recently released HTC Jellybean upgrade?

I'm really confused as I can't find any information referencing this, it all relates to the original ICS the phone comes out with.

SuperOneClick hasn't been updated in ages. It doesn't root anything past Gingerbread. It uses exploits that have been patched long ago.

(Nearly) One click root for the Global One X can be had here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1604439

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Make a backup.
you should definitely make a backup,but given it's stock you can always get back to here by trespassing a stock image. That wipes the storage so a backup in recovery is a lot easier to restore so I'd go hog wild a get it set up THEN make a backup.

e: Stupid Awful unread bug.

hooah posted:

No one's making you update. And since their lockscreen has been fairly customizable, you'll probably be able to disable the widgets anyhow.
True, I'm actually a lot more worried about CM importing the instability of stock 4.2 for the Galaxy Nexus than I am about things like the lockscreen and nonfunctional quick settings panel since it's pretty much a given that in time they'll be fixed in CM10.1.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 22, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ProjektorBoy posted:

Is the person who is sending you the large text messages using the same provider as you?

Yep. We're both on SGS3s with US Cellular. Mine is rooted, hers isn't.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Is there an app or mod that will replace the ICS+ recent apps menu with the GB one? I liked being able to have 8-12 recent apps on-screen instead of 4.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I've purchased a razr maxx a few months back and have rooted it, but have since learned that Verizon blows rear end and will not unlock the bootloader.

Question 1) Is there currently any way to unlock the razr maxx bootloader that I don't know about?

Question 2) If there is no way to unlock the bootloader, what phone on verizon is the best to purchase that does have the bootloader unlocked out of the box or is very easy to unlock?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Megaman posted:

Question 1) Is there currently any way to unlock the razr maxx bootloader that I don't know about?

No. If it had been known, it'd have been posted all over as a middle finger to Verizon. There's a tiny prayer that the Razr Maxx and its siblings could get unlockable bootloader support when they get JB, but don't count on it.

quote:

Question 2) If there is no way to unlock the bootloader, what phone on verizon is the best to purchase that does have the bootloader unlocked out of the box or is very easy to unlock?

Easy to unlock: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum

Somewhat easy to unlock: Galaxy S 3*

*Get one before VZW patches out the ability to swap out bootloaders, as it actually does have a locked bootloader out of the box but someone leaked a replacement for it.

Bootloaders on Verizon are almost never unlocked/unlockable out of the box.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

ProjektorBoy posted:

No. If it had been known, it'd have been posted all over as a middle finger to Verizon. There's a tiny prayer that the Razr Maxx and its siblings could get unlockable bootloader support when they get JB, but don't count on it.

Easy to unlock: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, LG Spectrum

Somewhat easy to unlock: Galaxy S 3*

*Get one before VZW patches out the ability to swap out bootloaders, as it actually does have a locked bootloader out of the box but someone leaked a replacement for it.

Bootloaders on Verizon are almost never unlocked/unlockable out of the box.

I've been pretty annoyed at Verizon because of the whole bootloader issue, is it worth switching to another provider? I hear Verizon has the best service, but I've never been on another carrier. Also, I'm locked into a contract, which I'm willing to break. How much do non contract plans with unlimited everything go for on other carrier? I'm paying 135 for just me with unlimited everything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Megaman posted:

I've been pretty annoyed at Verizon because of the whole bootloader issue, is it worth switching to another provider? I hear Verizon has the best service, but I've never been on another carrier. Also, I'm locked into a contract, which I'm willing to break. How much do non contract plans with unlimited everything go for on other carrier? I'm paying 135 for just me with unlimited everything.

Sprint roams to Verizon and vice versa, so their voice coverage is literally identical. Data is another story entirely though. Native 3G is mostly equal performance-wise, EvDO is pretty crappy one way or another. When roaming either way data is limited to 1xRTT by default which is even worse, though this can be "fixed" on some rooted devices (probably a ToS violation if caught). 4G isn't even a contest, there's no 4G roaming anywhere currently and Verizon is absolutely dominant there. Sprint's is a mix of old WiMax deployments which are useless to all current phones and a lot less new LTE.

I pay $80/mo for 450 minutes, unlimited everything else. Data is truly unlimited though, no 2/5GB bullshit. 900 minutes can be had for $100, full unlimited for $110.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 22, 2012

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

ProjektorBoy posted:

SuperOneClick hasn't been updated in ages. It doesn't root anything past Gingerbread. It uses exploits that have been patched long ago.

(Nearly) One click root for the Global One X can be had here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1604439

Thanks that's exactly what I need.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Is there an app or mod that will replace the ICS+ recent apps menu with the GB one? I liked being able to have 8-12 recent apps on-screen instead of 4.

You do know that scrolls right? And you can swipe away other apps you don't want on there.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Is there a way to change the order of the three buttons on the bottom of the screen? Specifically, I want the order to be Home, Recent apps, Back.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

You do know that scrolls right? And you can swipe away other apps you don't want on there.

I know, but it's still irritating to have to scroll to find the one I want, and micromanage the ones I don't.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409846165"]
Is there a way to change the order of the three buttons on the bottom of the screen? Specifically, I want the order to be Home, Recent apps, Back.
It's possible on slim bean at least, under rear end/Interface/navigation bar in settings (yeah, I don't know why they call it rear end of all things). You can also choose longpress actions. Should be possible in cm10 too, but I'm not certain.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

wolrah posted:

Sprint roams to Verizon and vice versa, so their voice coverage is literally identical.
This isn't exactly true. The problem is that Sprint phones will try their damndest to hold onto a weak Sprint signal even if there's a strong Verizon signal available to roam onto. The result, when in an area with poor Sprint service, is frequent dropped calls and really lovely battery life.

If you're in an area without outright no Sprint service, then yeah, you'll generally roam happily on Verizon. But in practice, roaming doesn't happen that frequently in most major markets.. and when it does, it's almost always going to be a back and forth battle between Sprint and Verizon, which just murders the battery.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman posted:

I sound like a broken record responding to all this wrong-thread posting, but get thee to the prepaid thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474380

You'll be able to get a Nexus 4 for $300 in a few weeks, and a monthly plan of $30 on T-Mobile with 100 minutes and unlimited text, 5gigs of 4G. Or if you don't live in a major city, a Straighttalk SIM that uses AT&T's antennas, for unlimited talk/text and 2gb data. Some asterisks apply, but it's all well-worth it to save $1000 a year over Verizon.

Edit: On topic, my sister came out for Thanksgiving and wanted me to update her Droid X... uhg. I'm a grown-rear end man but my Mom scolded me into giving it up a minute in because she could tell I was about to sperg the night away. That was a good call.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 23, 2012

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

That's it baby just a bit to the left. Perfect. Now show us your tits.

wolrah posted:

I pay $80/mo for 450 minutes, unlimited everything else. Data is truly unlimited though, no 2/5GB bullshit. 900 minutes can be had for $100, full unlimited for $110.

Holyshit that makes me appreciate what I got here. I'm paying €20 for 1000 minutes and unlimited data (although Data is capped so that the throughput slows to 64K/s after 5 GB). I'm in Austria, and reception is obviously limited to the national network, but then I heard Americans are a bit more mobile than us (I've barely left the country in years).

To get back on topic, I've unlocked/rooted and updated my GNex with no small help from this thread and I'm now confident to be able to go back to a previous version if things don't work out (as in I know what to look for when doing backups). I'm now running the standard JB 4.2 and apart from the widgets on the Lockscreen thing I'm reasonably happy with it.

What are some good ROMs that I should try and what's their respective advantage they have over others? I know for example of Paranoid Android, whose main feature seems to be that it makes the phone more like a tablet, but the others are more mystifying to me.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

sam.freak posted:

Holyshit that makes me appreciate what I got here. I'm paying €20 for 1000 minutes and unlimited data (although Data is capped so that the throughput slows to 64K/s after 5 GB). I'm in Austria, and reception is obviously limited to the national network, but then I heard Americans are a bit more mobile than us (I've barely left the country in years).

To get back on topic, I've unlocked/rooted and updated my GNex with no small help from this thread and I'm now confident to be able to go back to a previous version if things don't work out (as in I know what to look for when doing backups). I'm now running the standard JB 4.2 and apart from the widgets on the Lockscreen thing I'm reasonably happy with it.

What are some good ROMs that I should try and what's their respective advantage they have over others? I know for example of Paranoid Android, whose main feature seems to be that it makes the phone more like a tablet, but the others are more mystifying to me.

CyanogenMod adds a lot of small but cool features, there's also AOKP but I've got no experience with that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious, is there any reason to root my GS3 that I'm not thinking of/aware of?

I had a Evo4G before this and the only reason I ever rooted it was to get away from Gingerbread.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Titanium Backup and AdAway primarily. Or if you hate the minor UI changes TouchWiz has and want CM10 instead. Or if you want to throw Google Now on there and you haven't gotten the Jelly Bean update on your carrier yet.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I do have the Jellybean update and love Google Now. I didn't think about TB and AdAway. Both good points, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to trigger CM profiles via location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Is it possible to trigger CM profiles via location?

Possibly with Tasker.