Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
And Ting, don't forget Ting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ryanbruce posted:

My rooted, 3rd party ROM'd EVO would do that.. it was because the 4G radio would get stuck on "enabling" forever.

Have you tried a factory reset to exclude a software issue?

Going to try that this weekend, thanks. I was on vacation when it happened which made it impossible to fix.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Since they offer both Virgin Mobile and Boost, why not just make one of them this new option?
Branding's everything. Like ryanbruce said:

ryanbruce posted:

Maybe they're just hoping for some saps that don't want to be associated with "those poor people" on Boost? :shrug:

You've got the people who don't really know how MVNOs work, and assume carriers outside the big four would have garbage coverage, and you've got the consumer image connoted by the prepaid-only carriers that some people (consciously or unconsciously) want to avoid.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've left Atlanta, the land of expanded 4G, and have reentered 3G only areas. :smithicide:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WoG posted:

Branding's everything. Like ryanbruce said:

You've got the people who don't really know how MVNOs work, and assume carriers outside the big four would have garbage coverage, and you've got the consumer image connoted by the prepaid-only carriers that some people (consciously or unconsciously) want to avoid.

I actually had an AT&T worker and Best Buy worker both tell me not to get Straight Talk because the AT&T service wasn't good at all on any prepaid carrier.

I got it anyway but if this is how they treat people asking questions about prepaid, then I can understand why people are so wary of them.

e: Sprint confirmed that there will be four phones. Two smartphones and two feature phones. Only one of the smartphones--the Samsung Galaxy Victory for $250--will be able to access LTE on prepaid.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/confirmed-sprint-you-go-unlimited-prepaid-launching-jan-25-without-speed-th/2013-01-04

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 5, 2013

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I've got something baffling (at least to me) that happened today. I did a rare phone call where I didn't use an area code in the phone number. I got a Verizon message saying my number could not be connected as dialed or something close to that. Strange thing was my phone didn't hint at all that it was roaming.

I'm assuming I was for it to get a message like that, but without an indicator I'm not sure. Is there a way to tell what providers service I'm connected to?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Well you're supposed to have a roaming triangle in your phone's status/notification bar up top. And you can use Netmonitor to see what provider/tower you're connected to.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Crosspost from the general Android thread

I'm having a very strange problem andI am not sure if it is Google Voice related or not.

I'm on Sprint with a Note 2.

I started using GV about a week ago and everything worked perfectly.

Now, in the last few days when someone tries to call me, one of a few things will happen.

1) Beep twice on caller's end and go to voicemail - Phone does nothing, no notifications at all
2) Ring and ring and ring on caller's end and go to voicemail - My end, Phone starts to ring or rings once and then stops
3) Ring as normal.

Also, text messaging and data both work normal.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I've restarted my phone and that didn't help.

If I delete the Google Voice app from my phone does it just go away or do I have to do something online as well?

Krime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 5, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I'm hanging out in Upper Grandview, NY and I look at my HTC EVO and I see something I've never seen before- the characters "4G" in my menu bar. What the hell?

I check out my mail and Awful Betamax- yup the cat pics are loading at great speeds.

It seriously sucks that I only know of a few places in NYC where I might see this again.

Also 4G seems to make the already crappy battery life even shorter.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Binary Badger posted:

So I'm hanging out in Upper Grandview, NY and I look at my HTC EVO and I see something I've never seen before- the characters "4G" in my menu bar. What the hell?

I check out my mail and Awful Betamax- yup the cat pics are loading at great speeds.

It seriously sucks that I only know of a few places in NYC where I might see this again.

Also 4G seems to make the already crappy battery life even shorter.

Original EVO? or EVO LTE?? If it's the former, I'm struggling to believe that you've never seen WiMAX before, was Sprint's WiMAX roll out really that anemic? I thought it was at least pretty decent as far as their network footprint went.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Krime posted:

Crosspost from the general Android thread

I'm having a very strange problem andI am not sure if it is Google Voice related or not.

I'm on Sprint with a Note 2.

I started using GV about a week ago and everything worked perfectly.

Now, in the last few days when someone tries to call me, one of a few things will happen.

1) Beep twice on caller's end and go to voicemail - Phone does nothing, no notifications at all
2) Ring and ring and ring on caller's end and go to voicemail - My end, Phone starts to ring or rings once and then stops
3) Ring as normal.

Also, text messaging and data both work normal.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I've restarted my phone and that didn't help.

If I delete the Google Voice app from my phone does it just go away or do I have to do something online as well?

You'll have to go to log into your Google account on the Voice site and disable GV in the settings in order to remove it from your line. My sister was having a similar problem (rang infrequently or not at all) with GV but it went away after about two weeks. GV can be loving mysterious sometimes.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

So a retarded buddy of mine just picked up a Galaxy Epic Touch 4G free on contract. Yeah, I know, I know.

Any former users have any case recommendations for it? Just something small/basic, not huge and super durable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SeaborneClink posted:

Original EVO? or EVO LTE?? If it's the former, I'm struggling to believe that you've never seen WiMAX before, was Sprint's WiMAX roll out really that anemic? I thought it was at least pretty decent as far as their network footprint went.

Sorry, HTC 4G LTE, I had to restart my phone to figure that out..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How long does it generally take for Sprint to give your number to Google Voice once you port your number away from them?

SeaborneClink posted:

There's no WiMAX in Omaha, NE or Denver, CO. I've tried both places and it just doesn't exist there.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

I have an OG EVO (gently caress you HTC for naming two things the same, what the gently caress is the matter with you?), and the only time I've ever had access to 4G was for an hour or so while driving through Chicago last year.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

Well, this makes no sense at all: Sprint Will Begin Pay As You Go Service On January 25th
Prepaid service with probably no 4G, and higher prices than Boost or Virgin. Now that's just silly.
Boost announced they will start throttling after 2.5Gb, I believe virgin has announced throttling as well this will probably be completely unlimited for all. Granted completely unlimited is only really valuable if you have an LTE phone and good LTE coverage.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I have an issue and would appreciate some advice

I took my Galaxy S2 in to the Sprint store on Thursday because some issues I thought were related to a bad battery but wasn't sure because I had no spare.

Issues include: Screen flickering, then reset of phone, each time the phone reset the battery would have a different charged %. It has done this intermittently over the past few months but it'd only last a few minutes and once I just took the battery out and put it back in I had no issues. The power button also did not work sometimes when this was going on. About a week ago, however, it kept doing this and my phone was mostly unusable unless connected to a charger.

But my phone was also under warranty (for a few more days).

The store I went to is pretty bad, but the closest that has a repair center.

After waiting more than 2 hours, they said the battery isn't the problem but there is corrosion on the charging port and issues with the indicator light. I didn't understand and questioned for a bit but they insisted that was a problem and gave me a business card to call Asurion.

After spending an hour on the web site to order a replacement for $100, I got it in the mail Friday and finally had time to activate it today. The issues persist with this phone, leading me to believe the battery was the issue all along. The bigger problem is that this new phone from Asurion does not charge. The old phone still does.

What is the best course of action to get my $100 back for the TEP phone and just get a new battery? Go to the store first, call Asurion and wait on hold, call some Sprint customer service, or something else?

Edit: Also I have no idea how to actually contact Asurion regarding the claim, the automated system is pretty horrible. The web site also states "Place phone without battery/card in the YELLOW envelope included with your replacement device" and I received on yellow envlope, just white.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 7, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

What is the best course of action to get my $100 back for the TEP phone and just get a new battery? Go to the store first, call Asurion and wait on hold, call some Sprint customer service, or something else?
As far as I know, Asurion doesn't do refunds, period. If the phone they sent you doesn't charge, you can call them and get it replaced at no charge, they do guarantee their replacements. You could try calling Care (but be nice about it) that the store misled you, they may be able to do something for you. Not guaranteed, but Asurion definitely won't.

For the battery, you could try getting one through them as well, they don't ordinary send them with the replacement phones unless it's a lost phone, but they do cover them. It's worth asking.

If it's still under warranty, the Sprint service center should be able to order a replacement. Your issue sounds like it could be battery related, but problems like that don't always show up on the tester. And if there really was corrosion and/or an indicator inside the phone that was set off, Asurion would have been the ones to replace it, since the phone is considered liquid damaged at that point. You probably should have requested the battery when you ordered, I think you can do it through the web site, but most of the time it's better to call for stuff like that.

And as far as the envelope goes, it may be white or something. There should be a return envelope in the package unless you told them you lost the old phone. If there's not, make sure to call them and get a replacement envelope, or you're gonna get charged the full price of the phone.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

The website says yellow envelope.

Still, if there is corrosion and problems with the indicator light (never noticed this though) but the phone still works, I don't need it replaced. I think I just need a new battery.

Is there a good number for care? I can't find one on the web site. Or should I just use that Chat service?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The website says yellow envelope.

Still, if there is corrosion and problems with the indicator light (never noticed this though) but the phone still works, I don't need it replaced. I think I just need a new battery.

Is there a good number for care? I can't find one on the web site. Or should I just use that Chat service?

Sorry dude, but Asurion replacements are absolutely non refundable. I guess you can try, but I wouldn't bet on it. You can email dan@sprint.com and see, but I doubt it. It's pretty clear about it when you order said replacement unfortunately.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

It's just a pain in the rear end to even return this Asurion phone because when I called the number from my old phone, the automated service says it recognizes the phone number and to call from a different phone. So I guess I'll try to call at work tomorrow.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Still, if there is corrosion...

Wait, Asurion can send you a phone that is corroded? Seriously? What the gently caress. If I get a water damaged phone for a replacement I'd raise hell until something is done.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

No, the original phone was said to have corrosion, if that wasn't clear. But they said only on the charging port and there has been no issues with charging and the new phone is having the exact same issues as the old one in addition to it not charging (and I've tried, wall, usb, and car charges and nothing works).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No, the original phone was said to have corrosion, if that wasn't clear. But they said only on the charging port and there has been no issues with charging and the new phone is having the exact same issues as the old one in addition to it not charging (and I've tried, wall, usb, and car charges and nothing works).

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry dude, but Asurion replacements are absolutely non refundable.

To add to this, batteries are not covered. They should be $5-10 on amazon, I would go through there. If the replacement phone is having charging issues def call Asurion, they will replace the replacement. Sucks, but the best bet you can do.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I no longer am on Sprint's service. I ported my number to Google Voice this past Saturday and Sprint's site says I have no phone, bill, or number associated with my account. However, it's also not saying I have an ETF, I don't know what's going on with that.

My contract would have ended in March and I got the Nexus S back in June 2011 so I should have an ETF of $50. My bill would have been given to me this Saturday for $84.70. Since I haven't finished my previous month, would some of that money go into the ETF, making the ETF smaller or how does that work? I did read somewhere about a credit being issued if you leave before a billing cycle is up or something.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
I have a third line that was renewed in September, and that person would like to have the line on their aunt's account. Would it be possible to transfer her number/line to her aunt's family plan and avoid having to pay any cancellation fees?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

uapyro posted:

I did a rare phone call where I didn't use an area code in the phone number.
Huh, I'm surprised seven digit dialing actually works on cellular networks.

uapyro posted:

Is there a way to tell what providers service I'm connected to?
There's a somewhat convolved, but otherwise reliable way. You can look up based on the SID you're connected to.

In Android you can find the sid by dialing "*#*#INFO#*#*" which brings up the Testing app. Select "Phone information" and there should be a "Location: BID = xxx SID = xxxx NID = xx" line. Convert the SID number for hexidecimal to decimal (ugh), and look it up here. Specifically, if you're on Sprint, the SID is probably in this list, and if you're roaming, it's likely in this one.

Also if you're running an OEM-mangled ROM, it's possible the dialer code is different. You can also bring up the Testing activity with AnyCut or something. There might also be a market app that automates this tedious process. Also, who the gently caress writes SIDs in hex.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

!!PROBLEM AAAAAAAAAAAA

My Evo Shift received no text messages or phone calls from my SO's iPhone 5 today. We both stayed in the Nashville/Davidson County (TN) area and we both sent/received calls and texts from other people today with no issues. She was able to see my texts but I didn't see any of hers (I never called her, till just now).

Is this a Sprint issue? My phone is a POS issue (it is)? Other? Combo?

edit: Update, so yep I can call her but if she calls me it immediately goes to voicemail. :(

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 8, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

!!PROBLEM AAAAAAAAAAAA

My Evo Shift received no text messages or phone calls from my SO's iPhone 5 today. We both stayed in the Nashville/Davidson County (TN) area and we both sent/received calls and texts from other people today with no issues. She was able to see my texts but I didn't see any of hers (I never called her, till just now).

Is this a Sprint issue? My phone is a POS issue (it is)? Other? Combo?

edit: Update, so yep I can call her but if she calls me it immediately goes to voicemail. :(

Well, your phone is a POS in some ways, sorry to say :(

I'd take it into a store. In nashville most of the dealers are fine, I'd recommend probably absolute wireless off Harding place and 65. I personally worked at the cool springs mall and in Brentwood, but they are not tech centers so they would be a bit limited on helping you. Half of this post is just me missing nashville and wanting to reference places :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, your phone is a POS in some ways, sorry to say :(

I'd take it into a store. In nashville most of the dealers are fine, I'd recommend probably absolute wireless off Harding place and 65. I personally worked at the cool springs mall and in Brentwood, but they are not tech centers so they would be a bit limited on helping you. Half of this post is just me missing nashville and wanting to reference places :(

Don't I know it :(

My contract is up in a few months, if early renewal is an option what phones should I be looking at? Ignore this if the OP is up to date, I'm phone posting and about to check.

Working all day but hopefully I can get some downtime to swing by a store and ask questions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

Don't I know it :(

My contract is up in a few months, if early renewal is an option what phones should I be looking at? Ignore this if the OP is up to date, I'm phone posting and about to check.

Working all day but hopefully I can get some downtime to swing by a store and ask questions.

There likely is no longer an option for an early upgrade. PMing you info in case you need a trusted local.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

There likely is no longer an option for an early upgrade. PMing you info in case you need a trusted local.

Since I don't trust pm's working from the app, got it thanks.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

td4guy posted:

So a retarded buddy of mine just picked up a Galaxy Epic Touch 4G free on contract. Yeah, I know, I know.

Any former users have any case recommendations for it? Just something small/basic, not huge and super durable.
Anyone? Duckman2008?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

td4guy posted:

Anyone? Duckman2008?

Is there a Diztronic case for it? That's what people usually recommend.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually early upgrades are back as if last week but it's more expensive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Anyone? Duckman2008?

I would get the otterbox commuter personally, but I wouldn't describe it as super light. Incipio maybe?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Giblet posted:

Actually early upgrades are back as if last week but it's more expensive.

How much more? I want to chuck my E3D against a wall and I'm due for an upgrade in April (22 months after E3D launch). I think I'm going to leave Android and jump into the warm embrace of the iPhone 5.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/08/dish-network-ups-the-ante-and-outbids-sprint-for-clearwires-lte-spectrum-by-200-million/

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/dish-network-makes-bid-for-clearwire-trumping-sprint-offer/

Looks like Dish Network wants Clearwire and offered them $2.4 billion vs Sprint's $2.2 billion (plus $800 million).

Sprint is unhappy.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

IOwnCalculus posted:

How much more? I want to chuck my E3D against a wall and I'm due for an upgrade in April (22 months after E3D launch). I think I'm going to leave Android and jump into the warm embrace of the iPhone 5.

I haven't seen a $50 upgrade now since it came back. My assumption is yours would be $100. It's really easy to check though, just call and ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there a Diztronic case for it? That's what people usually recommend.

Duckman2008 posted:

I would get the otterbox commuter personally, but I wouldn't describe it as super light. Incipio maybe?
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.