Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

the_lion posted:

Curious - since newer versions of Bootcamp remove the ability to use older versions of Windows, how do you do the upgrade exactly?

Example, if I had Vista Home Premium (now not supported in Bootcamp 5.0), and I owned the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium?

You can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. Do a google search for "windows 7 upgrade clean install" (or something similar) and it should pop up.

There are two approaches: one that just involves a registry edit after installation but before activation, and one that involves installing once without registration, then performing the upgrade on top of your un-activated installation of Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I use Tuxera NTFS as well, it's regularly updated and IMHO it's faster than Paragon.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The last time I did some testing with exFAT, the transfer speeds were less than exciting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does OSX have OS rot after awhile? I feel that things aren't running as well as when I first installed. (I reboot consistently). It's not startup services either. I have a new iMac so the specs are fine.

Are there certain things that could affect this, or is it just coincidental and I'm crazy? Dust in the fans? Background services like Little Snitch? Installation of things that use system folders?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

smax posted:

You can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. Do a google search for "windows 7 upgrade clean install" (or something similar) and it should pop up.

There are two approaches: one that just involves a registry edit after installation but before activation, and one that involves installing once without registration, then performing the upgrade on top of your un-activated installation of Windows 7.

Brilliant-thank you!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does OSX have OS rot after awhile? I feel that things aren't running as well as when I first installed. (I reboot consistently). It's not startup services either. I have a new iMac so the specs are fine.

Are there certain things that could affect this, or is it just coincidental and I'm crazy? Dust in the fans? Background services like Little Snitch? Installation of things that use system folders?

I got my new iMac a few months ago and don't have too many problems. I have Little Snitch, Intego security software (virus/netbarrier). I'm mainly using graphics stuff, so the Adobe suite and that kind of thing.

What kind of things do you have installed?

Edit: whoops, two posts in a row. I hope that's cool, was not intentional. :s

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I'm not sure if this is a better question for here or the Apple Development thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. My company is looking into developing some iOS apps but we're currently only a Windows/Linux/Solaris/AIX shop. I jokingly suggested we get a couple Mac minis and put them in a 1U rack in the data center and my boss took me up on it. Now I need to figure out a good way to remote into the Macs to develop on them, or alternatively tell him I was joking about the rack and we should try to convince our network and security teams to allow them on the client network so we could keep them at our desks.

My question is this. Is OS X screen sharing good enough that we could develop using that plus a VNC client on our Windows machines? Is this even worth pursuing? Are there other alternatives?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I use my work desktop via VNC over a regular cable modem connection from home all the time. Performance is surprisingly good. I don't know if I'd make it a full-time workflow but performance shouldn't be terrible.

If your company is seriously that worried about the security implications of putting Macs on a client network then maybe ask them to put them in their own segregated VLAN or something? I don't think VNC is a TERRIBLE idea for what you're thinking of, but it's certainly not going to be optimal. All told, you should just try it though. It might be good enough.

I suspect your developers will prefer to have them local though.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

7of7 posted:

I'm not sure if this is a better question for here or the Apple Development thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. My company is looking into developing some iOS apps but we're currently only a Windows/Linux/Solaris/AIX shop. I jokingly suggested we get a couple Mac minis and put them in a 1U rack in the data center and my boss took me up on it. Now I need to figure out a good way to remote into the Macs to develop on them, or alternatively tell him I was joking about the rack and we should try to convince our network and security teams to allow them on the client network so we could keep them at our desks.

My question is this. Is OS X screen sharing good enough that we could develop using that plus a VNC client on our Windows machines? Is this even worth pursuing? Are there other alternatives?

Remote Desktop is pretty robust too. That plus a network PDU does a great job for us, even with a few hundred miles of distance between the techs and the servers.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I use my work desktop via VNC over a regular cable modem connection from home all the time. Performance is surprisingly good. I don't know if I'd make it a full-time workflow but performance shouldn't be terrible.

If your company is seriously that worried about the security implications of putting Macs on a client network then maybe ask them to put them in their own segregated VLAN or something? I don't think VNC is a TERRIBLE idea for what you're thinking of, but it's certainly not going to be optimal. All told, you should just try it though. It might be good enough.

I suspect your developers will prefer to have them local though.
If you can use it from home I'd imagine the performance over the intranet would be acceptable, though you're right that the user experience probably won't be the best. Ultimately the security implications of having Macs at all might be large enough that putting them on the client network might be considered a minor addition. They can't be totally isolated since they will also be app wrapping servers which need connectivity to our MAM servers.

Sonic Dude posted:

Remote Desktop is pretty robust too. That plus a network PDU does a great job for us, even with a few hundred miles of distance between the techs and the servers.
What sort of Remote Desktop? Are you talking about something like LogMeIn?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

7of7 posted:

What sort of Remote Desktop? Are you talking about something like LogMeIn?
Just the Apple one: http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Third party things are a big variable since that ultimately goes from whatever known built in/common factors to whatever the hell you want to install possibly affecting stuff. For me recently Safari was crashing like crazy and the crash logs seemed to point to javascript stuff so I tried disabling extensions (since those are generally inject JS into pages to affect behavior) and it's been fine, reenabled some of the more basic ones and it still seems ok now.

Otherwise in terms of "rot" I guess there's caches and log type things that the system should clean out periodically on its own, but some people do manual cleaning of stuff like that. I haven't tried it myself but I saw a guy on another forum mention his own maintenance script for example.

7of7 posted:

A little note about ARD or Screen Sharing (i.e. the free client in OS X), I've found performance to be vastly better than when using whatever other VNC clients with it. It works with other clients, but it's a different experience in terms of performance.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I've got a slight issue with my Macbook that's been getting more annoying over time. I'm running a mid-2007 Macbook(2GHz C2D) that I've upgraded by installing 2GB of RAM and a 320GB harddisk in over time. I've also upgraded the OS(came with Tiger) whenever possible. I'm running Lion on it at the moment(It's just too old for Mountain Lion) but I've noticed it's quite sluggish to use from time to time.

I'm not running any heavy apps on it(at least not most of the time), just Chrome with a few open tabs and a few other smaller programs. I do have a hell of a lot of pageouts/pageins though, and occasionally very little free RAM. I don't recall having these issues under Snow Leopard.

Now, would it be better for me to take a day or two and downgrade back to Snow Leopard(I've got Time Machine backups but I'd have to reinstall most applications) or would I be better off tossing another GB of RAM in there? The Mid-2007 Macbook is limited to a maximum of 3GB for hardware reasons apparently.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Smoke posted:

I've got a slight issue with my Macbook that's been getting more annoying over time. I'm running a mid-2007 Macbook(2GHz C2D) that I've upgraded by installing 2GB of RAM and a 320GB harddisk in over time. I've also upgraded the OS(came with Tiger) whenever possible. I'm running Lion on it at the moment(It's just too old for Mountain Lion) but I've noticed it's quite sluggish to use from time to time.

I'm not running any heavy apps on it(at least not most of the time), just Chrome with a few open tabs and a few other smaller programs. I do have a hell of a lot of pageouts/pageins though, and occasionally very little free RAM. I don't recall having these issues under Snow Leopard.

Now, would it be better for me to take a day or two and downgrade back to Snow Leopard(I've got Time Machine backups but I'd have to reinstall most applications) or would I be better off tossing another GB of RAM in there? The Mid-2007 Macbook is limited to a maximum of 3GB for hardware reasons apparently.

from my experience, Lion with less than 4GB loving hates you. It's probably worth it to roll back to 10.6.8.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Smoke posted:

How would you feel about an SSD?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nerdrock posted:

from my experience, Lion with less than 4GB loving hates you. It's probably worth it to roll back to 10.6.8.

Definitely this. I inherited an old iMac with the same specs as his Macbook. 10.6 worked like a champ but there was a HUGE decrease in performance witih 107.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Bob Morales posted:

How would you feel about an SSD?

Too costly for my usage pattern, partially because I also use Boot Camp on this machine(Visual Studio 2010) and I kinda need the storage space.

I was hoping 3GB would be enough to run Lion decently, but it looks like I'll be downgrading then. Any quick and easy methods for it? I had a harddrive crash last year and due to a bad connection was stuck on Snow Leopard for a while. I tried restoring from a Time Machine backup then but discovered that it'll render the machine literally unusable once I decided to recover installed applications prior to reinstalling Lion.

Most important for me are the iTunes and iPhoto libraries, as well as all data from Mail(Although I no longer actively use it, there's some important stuff archived in there) Keychain's also rather important since it holds most of the wifi passwords I need as well as some others I didn't bother to remember. Basically I want it to be as seamless and quick as possible.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Move everything important to a USB drive and pop in a Leopard CD.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Just did the downgrade and most of everything made the transition with me. The OS feels a hell of a lot more responsive again too. I still get a decent amount of pageouts so I'm considering adding additional RAM anyway.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Does anyone use Launchpad? It seems so intrusive how it just fills my whole screen, I still vastly prefer clicking my application folder next to the trash.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Does anyone use Launchpad? It seems so intrusive how it just fills my whole screen, I still vastly prefer clicking my application folder next to the trash.

I use it. I have BTT set on it being three fingers down though, I can't do the default one to save my life.

Most of the time I use Alfred, anyway :shrug:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

It's quick if you have it set to a gesture, but generally no I don't think many people use it or would argue its usefulness vs the alternatives.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I want to uninstall GarageBand/iPhoto/iMovies to free up some space on my Air, however I'm afraid I won't be able to reinstall them in the future as they don't appear in the 'Purchases' section of the App Store. Is there a way to make sure the apps are associated to my account before I delete them?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Why don't you use Spotlight or Alfred/Quicksilver like a normal SA nerd?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Launchpad on a laptop/desktop is the dumbest thing.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

With gestures, Launchpad is awesome, but without a trackpad it's pretty much useless.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

empty baggie posted:

With gestures, Launchpad is awesome, but without a trackpad it's pretty much useless.

Eh, I prefer it to the dashboard. I never use that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

pipes! posted:

Launchpad on a laptop/desktop is the dumbest thing.

It's the dumbest thing for people in this thread, but I can just tell my mom that all her other apps appear if she clicks this rocketship, instead of having to do weird stuff with the Applications folder or spotlight. It's a marked improvement for novice users.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I don't care what any of you guys say. Quicksilver is still the best way to launch apps and webpages (amongst other things).

Edit: whoa, why is that screenshot so big?! It shows that its downscaled in Finder. Weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2013

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

And also on the subject of launchers, Alfred Workflows are a game changer: http://blog.alfredapp.com/2013/04/03/alfred-v2-workflows-a-few-of-our-favourites-so-far/

If you check out the Alfred forums, there are some pretty amazing workflows available: http://www.alfredforum.com/forum/3-share-your-workflows/

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

terriyaki posted:

I don't care what any of you guys say. Quicksilver is still the best way to launch apps and webpages (amongst other things).

Edit: whoa, why is that screenshot so big?! It shows that its downscaled in Finder. Weird.

Retina Display. Quickview will show the image pixel to pixel on your screen. In a web browser, it'll scale up a pixel to "web-size pixels" if the dimensions aren't explicitly set.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

That's adorable:

Link, in case anyone is interested.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

Lexicon posted:

Why don't you use Spotlight or Alfred/Quicksilver like a normal SA nerd?

I launch most of my apps in Spotlight through cmd+space, but I also like browsing through my junk. I've heard of quicksilver since forever but I have no idea what it does.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

This might be a stretch but does anyone happen to have the installer for the version of AIM just before the current? Or an alternative. The new version lost retina support and now has an advertisement in the bottom left that wasn't there before and is just overall shittier.
Searching for old installers seems to yield much older versions of AIM.
Yeah I know who the gently caress still uses AIM.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not use Adium instead of the official AIM client? You can customize the hell out of that, and it works exactly the same. Well, exactly the same, but better, and with other chat protocols.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RME posted:

This might be a stretch but does anyone happen to have the installer for the version of AIM just before the current? Or an alternative. The new version lost retina support and now has an advertisement in the bottom left that wasn't there before and is just overall shittier.
Searching for old installers seems to yield much older versions of AIM.
Yeah I know who the gently caress still uses AIM.

Search your time machine backups?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

pipes! posted:

That's adorable:

Link, in case anyone is interested.

Now that's interesting. I got Alfred V2 recently but haven't done much with workflows yet.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the main.rb you're using as the main control, would you? I'm (very) slowly getting into Python and Ruby and am rather intrigued by how you're using Ruby to control it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Actually I only just realized that Messages supports AIM, so I think I'll just use that from now on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a good program to browse a directory of images that I can use the keyboard or something with? Preview is great for like...one picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good program to browse a directory of images that I can use the keyboard or something with? Preview is great for like...one picture

Xee is pretty good and its got a major overhaul thats not quite in the App Store yet.