Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The only QR code I ever scanned was for Fez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Krinkle posted:

For 99.999% of these QR codes, just looking at them will just tell you what the guy is saying. It's just this one, that tells you nothing but still makes the sound of the pop up, that you have to scan with a real phone and find out it's a the eagle has landed quote to figure out what to do (by googling what the gently caress to do and going back and saying oh really the exact hour and minute of the moon landing in cape canavarel time is the solution? gently caress you)

Literally nothing else in the game requires you to look up external information like the date and time of historical events or anything even remotely as obtuse as that so I can only assume it's a glitch that nothing pops up. Nobody would purposefully make you use a real QR scanner to play a game. The only other time a QR code even matters is that other thing the guy quoted which said to connect the head to the heart and if you look up there's a giant statue there so it's just pixel hunting the head and the heart specifically. I mean the actual puzzle is stealing a connector from a different puzzle to the non-puzzle area to solve the hidden puzzle.

Anyway you can leave QR codes for other people based on the decisions you've made, they unlock and appear in a list. I was asked if I thought animals had rights and I felt backed into a corner so I said yes all animals are exactly equal to humans and now all my steam buddies can see me paint "frogs are people too" everywhere. With their eyes in english. The QR code is mostly a white flag to get your attention and then english words pop up so don't worry about needing a phone.

You don't really need to look anything up. You just need to notice that there's 24 pillars around the area with buttons you can push, make the mental connection that because you can only push 2 at a time they must be representing the hands of a clock, use your phone to scan the QR code which contains hexadecimal strings, try interpreting those as ASCII characters represented in hexadecimal, use an ASCII chart to translate them, find a time in the translation, and convert it to the right format to know which two buttons to push. Easy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a QR code in Guacamelee and when you scan it tells you that yes, it is a QR code.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

I meant that having your stats be sub-optimal because you aren't obsessively managing your level ups feels bad.

Having to grind warrior for 9 ranks to get the damage boosting augment is worse though. I can't stand that vocation.

The thing dragging Dragon's Dogma down is that the two handed weapon manly man class is incredibly boring because they can only equip half as many skills as any other class. I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking, it's not like warrior skills are so powerful it would be unreasonable to equip 6 at once.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Moon Monster posted:

The thing dragging Dragon's Dogma down is that the two handed weapon manly man class is incredibly boring because they can only equip half as many skills as any other class. I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking, it's not like warrior skills are so powerful it would be unreasonable to equip 6 at once.

Arc of Deliverance bro

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

What's weird is that the two hand mage class can equip six skills. Warrior just gets hosed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Its especially annoying cause warrior gets a unique utility skill thats pretty neat: Launching people into the air.

It loses its luster when taking it means you're gutting a third of your killing potential.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

I've seen this pop up more than once in other games. Do they think they're clever when they do it or are they just copying fez because the fez guy thought he was clever doing it?

The Fez guy didn't think he was clever, the Fez guy was taking over development after he scared off the guy who actually programmed and did everything so he had to come up with ways to pad out the game to seem deep and important.

Speaking of people thinking they're clever, your reward for finishing puzzles in The Witness is FMVs of Jonathan Blow giving mini TED talks or other inane fuckery. Just giving you a heads-up so you don't waste $40 on self-important garbage.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The stupid mission in GTAV where you have to walk 5 miles in the desert. I dunno if people do the running themselves for the whole time, but the real way is to jury-rig your controller. It's only a minor annoyance that way, approx 15 min so you can go do dishes or whatever while he runs in a circle, but no matter what it's entirely pointless.

BUT if you accidentally leave the area in which you're supposed to run it resets the loving counter :thumbsup:

My rig: a neon hairband and guitar capo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thats some super paper mario poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's completely optional though. You only have to do it if you want to go down the whole "Michael joins fake Scientology" missions.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

muscles like this? posted:

It's completely optional though. You only have to do it if you want to go down the whole "Michael joins fake Scientology" missions.

Achievements :negative:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oxxidation posted:

I think the Magic Ninja Pot was patched out at some point later in development, it's now got a 0% chance of dodging any of your attacks.

This reminds me of an old funny thing in City of Heroes (I guess technically moreso City of Villains in this case), where destructible objects were basically just immobile, non-combat enemies that otherwise used to-hit rolls like anything else based on their level versus yours and other factors. So it was entirely possible to repeatedly miss against an inanimate object. If you were particularly low level, some objects' default level would actually be higher than yours, making them inherently harder to hit; naturally these higher level objects were also the larger, tougher targets. So a truck wasn't just sturdier than a car, it was also dodgier. :downs:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jan 29, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

To unlock that mission you have to give the aforementioned not-Scientology a whole bunch of incredibly rare, expensive cars, I'd say the tedium is :thejoke:.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

gohuskies posted:

This is right on about the yelling. A bit part of WH40k is yelling stuff about hate and fury and vengeance and the emperor. It's something they did really well in Dawn of War. There should have been a keypress to make Titus shout something badass, anytime you want. And it should have been an easy key, like spacebar or something, so you do it all the time. Huge missed opportunity in the game.

I think it's also a huge missed opportunity that space marines are supposed to be ridiculously fast to the point where ordinary humans can barely even keep track of their movements, and we got a slow-paced Gears of War clone instead of Doom: 40K Edition where you're circle-strafing and crowd-shaping masses of daemons like the unstoppable force of mad science a space marine is supposed to be.

God drat I would play a 40k licensed Doom clone in a heartbeat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Space Marine would have been better if it wouldn't have been about Space Marines. Warhammer 40k Ork Boy would have been fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

To unlock that mission you have to give the aforementioned not-Scientology a whole bunch of incredibly rare, expensive cars, I'd say the tedium is :thejoke:.

You also have to wear one outfit for multiple ingame days in a row, without ever changing. The point of that quest is to make you do the most tedious poo poo imaginable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also despite supposedly designed to make you play aggressive and melee focused and not like a cover shooter, when the other enemy type gets introduced that's pretty much how you have to play any section involving them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AlphaKretin posted:

I'd say the tedium is :thejoke:.

Remember that this is Rockstar. The same company that thought having to spend 5 minutes watching awkward looping low-poly striptease in Vice City to be able to earn money on your strip club was a good idea.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

You also have to wear one outfit for multiple ingame days in a row, without ever changing. The point of that quest is to make you do the most tedious poo poo imaginable.

AlphaKretin posted:

the tedium is :thejoke:.

Oh I'm well aware. It's still very annoying.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Also despite supposedly designed to make you play aggressive and melee focused and not like a cover shooter, when the other enemy type gets introduced that's pretty much how you have to play any section involving them.

Multiplayer is definitely a cover shooter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and if anything I only think 2 groups worked because you could co-op. I actually really hate that style of "control one character, move them, switch to the other, move them, switch back" kinda thing, like in The Lost Vikings. I just find it to be really tedious and not fun.
I can definitely see why they went with all three characters in one body for Trine, but it does result in a lot of puzzles that you can basically just ignore because you never need to figure out a way for Pontius to get anywhere. Whereas in Lost Vikings, only Erik can jump and if you need to get the other two to where he is you have to find another way.

The point of that quest is to make you do the most tedious poo poo imaginable.
Excellent game design right there. :downsbravo:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Remember that this is Rockstar. The same company that thought having to spend 5 minutes watching awkward looping low-poly striptease in Vice City to be able to earn money on your strip club was a good idea.

There's a point where even if it's a joke bad design is still bad design and you shouldn't do it because it's bad and not fun or funny.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Space marines really should consider taking cover more often because according to the game they're actually pretty easy to kill if they're not doing TOTALLY SWEET EXECUTION MOVES on Orkz every five seconds.

The dumb marketing works better as a meta-joke about how Dawn of War 2 and its offshoots were all about sticking marines in cover, but just barely.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sleeveless posted:

The Fez guy didn't think he was clever, the Fez guy was taking over development after he scared off the guy who actually programmed and did everything so he had to come up with ways to pad out the game to seem deep and important.

Speaking of people thinking they're clever, your reward for finishing puzzles in The Witness is FMVs of Jonathan Blow giving mini TED talks or other inane fuckery. Just giving you a heads-up so you don't waste $40 on self-important garbage.

Counterpoint: This world is beautiful and solving puzzles is fun and cool. I'm stuck though I have no idea where to go to learn the next thing. I mean I did but it opened a sally port and the opposite side of the other door is locked so whoops dead end!

I hope there's no achievement for finding all the einstein quotes on data recorders.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Eh Ziggurat's pretty good really

It's not badly made or anything, but it felt anemic. I bought it on one of those days when I was just bored of the games that I had and didn't know what to play, and it was only :10bux: or something. Half an hour later I was still bored. The presentation is nice and the weapon designs are a good twist on conventional shooter guns, but for what's essentially a procedurally generated Painkiller clone it didn't really grip me like the real deal does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Similarly to that half-assed roguelike talk, I really hate seeing Early Access games on Youtube that actually have a good concept, but clearly just plain aren't finished and provide no faith that they ever will be.

I really like the idea of Pulsar: Lost Colony, but that whole game has a smell of 'they haven't finished this game, and they won't finish this game'. Recently Scrap Mechanic has cropped up on my radar, and that one hurts because that game could be fantastic if it were finished, but it just won't be.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cleretic posted:

Similarly to that half-assed roguelike talk, I really hate seeing Early Access games on Youtube that actually have a good concept, but clearly just plain aren't finished and provide no faith that they ever will be.

I really like the idea of Pulsar: Lost Colony, but that whole game has a smell of 'they haven't finished this game, and they won't finish this game'. Recently Scrap Mechanic has cropped up on my radar, and that one hurts because that game could be fantastic if it were finished, but it just won't be.

Someone hacked Peter Molyneaux's twitter and made him abandon godus and retire from gaming for about five minutes today everyone was mad at early access games it was pretty great.

I thought that Torment was by the pillars of eternity people, but it was just the wasteland 2 people, so I got it, saying hey I'll play the first part of an early access sequel to planescape:torment... but wow it is really early access. Like there's a character creation module that says "okay so we're going to do a cool thing here but it's not ready so imagine you just got sucked up into your own mind and made decisions that matter and there'll be branching dialog and wonderful stuff but for right now do you want to be a wizard/rogue/fighter okay just choose now please"

Also 8 out of the 9 fights I've attempted have glitched out and not let me move. And I once inspected an archway and after I read about it, the UI for reading things never went away so I lost the same 15 minutes of gameplay about five times now.

But what I read I loved. I am going to restart pillars of eternity since I forgot where I was and what I was doing there instead.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Recently Scrap Mechanic has cropped up on my radar, and that one hurts because that game could be fantastic if it were finished, but it just won't be.

???

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It's supposed to be a sandbox vehicle construction game. Construction's comparable to Besiege, or Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts; I'm not sure if the game's intended to be procedurally-generated like Minecraft or a big persistent world like ARK. They apparently plan to add a survival mode eventually, but right now it's only got a creative mode.

The vehicle mechanics look pretty solid, they drive well and construction's got enough going on that you can make some pretty unique vehicles, but they need to add more to it and chances are they just won't.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and if anything I only think 2 groups worked because you could co-op. I actually really hate that style of "control one character, move them, switch to the other, move them, switch back" kinda thing, like in The Lost Vikings. I just find it to be really tedious and not fun.

This sort of thing killed one of the later Simcity games for me, actually, where the game encouraged you to specialize your cities. One would be the commercial/residential city, and another would be the Industrial one.

Which meant popping from city to city, going to the C/R city when those bloomed and the other one when I blew up, back and forth instead of sitting there looking at your city.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

This sort of thing killed one of the later Simcity games for me, actually, where the game encouraged you to specialize your cities. One would be the commercial/residential city, and another would be the Industrial one.

Which meant popping from city to city, going to the C/R city when those bloomed and the other one when I blew up, back and forth instead of sitting there looking at your city.

Sim City 2013 did that. It was poo poo.

I saw a youtube where a guy made a perfectly functioning megapolis using only residential zones. Zero industry, zero commercial and no roads off map.

I tried it because I couldn't believe it. Turns out, yeah, if you never build industry or commercial districts, your residential areas remain happy as clams forever, and the game (and your residents) think you're the best goddamn mayor ever. Crime never rises, pollution never rises, it's pretty much a perfect society. All you have to worry about are occasional fires (put in a fire department or two) and every now and then, you'll get a message saying that the residents would like shops, urging you to build commercial areas, but their stats remain maxed out and happy, so you can safely ignore them. (In fact, heeding their advice resulted in a spiral resulting in everyone hating everything)

Sim City 2013 was loving awful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think he may have meant 4 which was always a huge barrier for me. Having cities as separate blocks drove me nuts.

Cities Skylines is exactly what Sim city 2013 was supposed to be.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Sleeveless posted:

The Talos Princple is a great game and totally worth your time and money but a few of the star puzzles require ridiculous pixel-hunting or Fez-style ARG fuckery which is a drat shame when everything else is so well-designed and accessible.

For the uninitiated, Talos Principle is a puzzle game where you have hubs with several puzzles cordoned off into their own areas, and Stars are special collectibles that involve breaking open puzzles and using tools to either escape the bounds of puzzles or span across multiple arenas. Generally cool, mindbending stuff. But one of them requires you to scan a QR code and decipher the hexadecimal text within to know which two buttons to hit, while another has you targeting invisible targets for a laser beam that would be nigh-impossible to find without foreknowledge that they were there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Someone hacked Peter Molyneaux's twitter and made him abandon godus and retire from gaming for about five minutes today everyone was mad at early access games it was pretty great.

Do you mean he hasn't abandoned Godus? I'm surprised there's anyone still playing it to get angry.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if Steam had a box you could check to say "please don't show me Early Access games". As is the storefront is plastered in unfinished games making it even harder to find new titles that are actually complete.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sleeveless posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if Steam had a box you could check to say "please don't show me Early Access games". As is the storefront is plastered in unfinished games making it even harder to find new titles that are actually complete.

Not empty quoting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

I'm not sure what's worse about EA. Games that are potentially good but never finish, or games that are interesting and fun but then take a dive into a pool of poo poo and go bad long after no one can get a refund.

So what drags PC games down for me is that they never explain anything. I started playing Cities: Skylines today and it's an interesting game but I wound up in the hole really fast because it refused to tell me how to set up water or power for my town and instead just insisted on popping up little texts about setting up taxes and poo poo for people when I didn't even have the option to make taxes unlocked yet. It's really hard to get into a game when it won't tell you how to play it. I tried putting down some power lines and it bulldozed all the houses.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Jan 30, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sleeveless posted:

Yes this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Red_Fred posted:

Yes this so much.

Valve has this thing where they don't want to single out different games as "better".

It's a dumb policy.