Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Bismarck was a pretty garbage boat and it should not be considered a particularly shining example of what you can do with an actually well-built battleship

Say that to the Hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

benzine posted:

Say that to the Hood

So you're saying we're not being hood-winked here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wedgekree posted:

So you're saying we're not being hood-winked here?

it hood-winked out of existence, all right

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ships just blowing the gently caress up seems like it happens disproportionately often to the British in WW1 and 2.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Noo Grey! What are you doing to my battleship!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's fine, they'll just pump some flooding along the way to Raubul, pump even more out once they're there, send it back to Japan, and then leave it sitting on a pier in some second rate port because there's no point wasting any more resources on trying to repair it before war end.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

goatface posted:

It's fine, they'll just pump some flooding along the way to Raubul, pump even more out once they're there, send it back to Japan, and then leave it sitting on a pier in some second rate port because there's no point wasting any more resources on trying to repair it before war end.

Is there the ability to ground the Yamato in game?

Remember reading at one point they were debating on trying to run it aground somewhere and turn it into one hell of a bunker. (Truk? )

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

shalafi4 posted:

Is there the ability to ground the Yamato in game?

Remember reading at one point they were debating on trying to run it aground somewhere and turn it into one hell of a bunker. (Truk? )

Okinawa.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

*facepalm* yup you're right

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

IIRC the Allies were starting to run pretty drat low on battleships, weren't they? How many should they have left?

pre:
BB Alabama		USA		South Dakota-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Arizona		USA		Pennsylvania-class Battleship			
BB California		USA		Tennessee-class Battleship				
BB Colorado		USA		Colorado-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Fuso			Japanese	Fuso-class Battleship			Sunk	
BB Hyuga		Japanese	Ise-class Battleship			Damaged: F				
BB Idaho		USA		New Mexico-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Indiana		USA		South Dakota-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Iowa			USA		Iowa-class Battleship			Sunk	
BB Ise			Japanese	Ise-class Battleship			Damaged: F		
BB Maryland		USA		Colorado-class Battleship		Damaged: HD			
BB Massachusetts	USA		Massachusetts-class Battleship					
BB Mississippi		USA		New Mexico-class Battleship		Sunk
BB Musashi		Japanese	Yamato-class Battleship			Sunk	
BB Mutsu		Japanese	Nagato-class Battleship					
BB Nagato		Japanese	Nagato-class Battleship			Damaged: HF	
BB Nevada		USA		Nevada-class Battleship			Sunk	
BB New Jersey		USA		New Jersey-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB New Mexico		USA		New Mexico-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB North Carolina	USA		North Carolina-class Battleship   	Sunk	
BB Oklahoma		USA		Nevada-class Battleship			Damaged: F, HD			
BB Pennsylvania		USA		Pennsylvania-class Battleship		Damaged: F				
BB Prince of Wales	British		King George V-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Ramillies		British		Royal Sovereign-class Battleship	Damaged: F, HD				
BB Resolution		British		Royal Sovereign-class Battleship	Damaged: HD	
BB Revenge		British		Royal Sovereign-class Battleship	Damaged: HD			
BB Royal Sovereign	British		Royal Sovereign-class Battleship	Damaged: F, HD			
BB South Dakota		USA		South Dakota-class Battleship		Sunk	
BB Tennessee		USA		Tennessee-class Battleship		Damaged: F				
BB Warspite		British		Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship					
BB Washington		USA		North Carolina-class Battleship    	Damaged: F				
BB West Virginia	USA		Colorado-class Battleship		Damaged: HF, HD				
BB Yamashiro		Japanese	Fuso-class Battleship			Sunk	
BB Yamato		Japanese	Yamato-class Battleship					
BC Haruna		Japanese	Kongo-class Battlecruiser		Damaged: F				
BC Hiei	 		Japanese	Kongo-class Battlecruiser					
BC Kirishima		Japanese	Kongo-class Battlecruiser					
BC Kongo		Japanese	Kongo-class Battlecruiser					
BC Repulse		British		Renown-class Battlecruiser		Sunk	
Edit: Legibitility

Also, both LCT-375 and LCT-376 have been sunk twice. The AI is running out of numbers for Landing Craft.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 25, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
What do the damage codes mean?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Heavy Damage, on Fire, Heavy Fires as featured in the reports, I'd assume.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
on Fire
Heavy Fires
Damaged
Heavily Damaged

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RZApublican posted:

At least we sank an Iowa-class battleship in return :shrug:

Read the top of the ships sunk list again? Says the New Jersey wasn't sunk.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sullat posted:

Read the top of the ships sunk list again? Says the New Jersey wasn't sunk.

If you're checking my spreadsheet, I've marked it as sunk in the general list (maintaining the other list isn't a priority, sorry dudes).

If you're checking GH's post, the result page is frequently wrong/inaccurate to reflect the fog of war. The combat page does not have this same handicap, for whatever reason. The intelligence report right below the sunk list says the New Jersey wasn't sunk (because they just engaged it) and the next line (after the fight) says it was reported sunk again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah. Its a "dammit, shes still afloat" report followed by a "issue has been resolved" report.

I'm sad her sinking is getting less air time than a still afloat ship!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

benzine posted:

Say that to the Hood

also a garbage ship

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

on Fire
Heavy Fires
Damaged
Heavily Damaged

Please don't post my dating profile

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah. Its a "dammit, shes still afloat" report followed by a "issue has been resolved" report.

I think it's because we understand the fact that at this stage in the war as Japan, it's not "can you win?" but "how well can you not lose?"

So that turns the focus to your losses

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you're checking GH's post, the result page is frequently wrong/inaccurate to reflect the fog of war. The combat page does not have this same handicap, for whatever reason.

One of the weird things about this game is that there are different levels of fog of war depending on what is happening and what you are looking at. There is of course debate on the Matrix forums over what is the most reliable. Combat reports (but not bombing reports) are generally considered to be the gold standard. The little scrolling info thing in the bottom left when turns resolve is also considered good, though when a ship of yours that was damaged in combat is reported later in the same turn to have sunk, it always reports the wrong ship (some consider this a bug). The ships sunk list in the intel screen is more affected by fog of war than most other screens, which I guess represents a game of telephone from the front lines back to your staff?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

I, for one, will remember the USS New Jersey officially sinking and making your score Nice | Nice

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ah, well here's hoping the second report stays accurate.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Here's hoping Yamato makes it to Rabaul so the Royal Navy can go for Catechism 2.0 when they start getting tallboy-equipped Lancasters in '45.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you sank the Big J Grey I'm coming after you

Goddammit Grey what did I just say! :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yamato's float damage may be survivable, but I doubt her 4kt speed is. She's going to get hit again tomorrow most likely, and she won't have much chance of dodging whatever comes at her.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sullat posted:

Ah, well here's hoping the second report stays accurate.

I'm sure we'll send some naval ensigns to verify that claim soon.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I think the biggest argument against the battlecruiser design like the hood isn't that on paper its a bad idea to have something fast with big guns, but that the admiralty seemingly couldn't stop itself from sending them against their one true enemy the battleship

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dtkozl posted:

I think the biggest argument against the battlecruiser design like the hood isn't that on paper its a bad idea to have something fast with big guns, but that the admiralty seemingly couldn't stop itself from sending them against their one true enemy the battleship

Yeah. When British battlecruisers were used on their intended target (enemy cruisers) they performed excellently - check out the WW1 battle of the Falkland Islands. The combination of greater speed than an opponent and greater range than an opponent means you can fight them from outside of their effective range, and they can't escape you.

The trouble is that when you've got a ship that costs about as much as a battleship, looks like a battleship, and has the guns of a battleship, your admirals are going to want to use it like a battleship, like we saw with the Hood versus the Bismarck, and with the battlecruiser squadron at Jutland in WW1.

The other trouble is that it's not really worth spending battleship money on hunting raiding cruisers - since those are only an annoyance - while the enemy battleship fleet is an existential threat to your country.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The battlecruiser design was fine, even against battleships (assuming you didn't actually leave them in a slugging match). The British problem was that they completely disregarded safety protocols and ship features in order to improve their firing rate - as in they left anti-flash doors open and stacked ammunition and powder in hallways for speed in reloading. That's what likely doomed Indefatigable, Invincible and Queen Mary (and nearly Lion) to exploding at Jutland, and probably caused the quick exit of Hood against Bismarck as well. For a counter example, and acknowledging they were built sturdier to begin with, you can compare to the German battlecruisers where they only lost one during the withdrawal due to irrecoverable flooding, while all five of them had taken moderate to heavy damage during the battle.

edit: And, despite the heroic actions of one of the crew in ordering the magazine closed and flooded, Lion probably would have been lost too if it wasn't for Beatty's chief gunnery officer basically telling the crew of Lion to knock that massive safety violation off.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 25, 2018

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

For a counter example, and acknowledging they were built sturdier to begin with, you can compare to the German battlecruisers where they only lost one during the withdrawal due to irrecoverable flooding, while all five of them had taken moderate to heavy damage during the battle.

Isn't there a photo of one of them limping back into port with the point of the bow under water and maybe a foot of freeboard at the back?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

shalafi4 posted:

Isn't there a photo of one of them limping back into port with the point of the bow under water and maybe a foot of freeboard at the back?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Lord Koth posted:

The battlecruiser design was fine, even against battleships (assuming you didn't actually leave them in a slugging match). The British problem was that they completely disregarded safety protocols and ship features in order to improve their firing rate - as in they left anti-flash doors open and stacked ammunition and powder in hallways for speed in reloading. That's what likely doomed Indefatigable, Invincible and Queen Mary (and nearly Lion) to exploding at Jutland, and probably caused the quick exit of Hood against Bismarck as well. For a counter example, and acknowledging they were built sturdier to begin with, you can compare to the German battlecruisers where they only lost one during the withdrawal due to irrecoverable flooding, while all five of them had taken moderate to heavy damage during the battle.

edit: And, despite the heroic actions of one of the crew in ordering the magazine closed and flooded, Lion probably would have been lost too if it wasn't for Beatty's chief gunnery officer basically telling the crew of Lion to knock that massive safety violation off.

Wasn't there also an issue with british shells at jutland? If so I feel like saying they were "fine" putting them against battleships seems a little too generous and the germans just got extremely lucky. I can't really think of many other examples of battlecruiser engagements other than kirishima and she was savaged as well.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lord Koth posted:

the fact that hochseeflotte BCs took such a pounding also indicated that they were mis-used

just because they survived doesn't mean that they were well employed. it's functionally impossible for commanders to NOT leave them in a slugging match due to their hitting power

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

dtkozl posted:

Wasn't there also an issue with british shells at jutland? If so I feel like saying they were "fine" putting them against battleships seems a little too generous and the germans just got extremely lucky. I can't really like of many other examples of battlecruiser engagements other than kirishima and she was savaged as well.

Yeah, the British shells were awful at Jutland - this includes both those used by the battleships and battlecruisers; 73% of British shells failed to work properly during the battle. The shells were poorly heat-treated, meaning they broke up on impact, while their highly sensitive Lyddite filling tended to detonate on impact or as the the shell was penetrating, though this tended to mask the fact that the fuses were also awful. This doesn't really reflect poorly on the battlecruisers, though, as it was an issue with the entire British battlefleet.

The British battlecruisers that did not explode survived remarkably well - Tiger, for example, took 15 shell hits (as many as Warspite, and more than any German battleship), and remained in good fighting shape throughout the battle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the fact that hochseeflotte BCs took such a pounding also indicated that they were mis-used

just because they survived doesn't mean that they were well employed. it's functionally impossible for commanders to NOT leave them in a slugging match due to their hitting power

The realities of WWI naval combat meant that any ship engaged in a fleet engagement for any prolonged length of time would take a pounding - the way Jutland developed meant that only the battlecruisers did so. Battlecruisers were, fundamentally, intended to operate with the fleet, as heavy scouts and as a fast wing, and they fulfilled this role well for both fleets at Jutland.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

benzine posted:

Please save the Yamato.

Does the game take into account the possibility to save a sunken ship in port like the West Virginia and Arizona?

The Arizona was whatnow?

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Lord Koth posted:

The Germans had the same problem and had to learn the same lesson as well with the Sedlitz at Dogger Bank when they had a flash fire that took out two of the three turrets. The British didn't learn the lesson then but later at Jutland to a much more catastrophic ending.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

McNally posted:

The Arizona was whatnow?

Think he meant Nevada. Which wasn't sunk persay....just grounded.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Either way, you can’t refloat ships in this game. Once they sink, they’re gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

McNally posted:

The Arizona was whatnow?

BUG JUG posted:

Think he meant Nevada. Which wasn't sunk persay....just grounded.

Had a complete lapse, either the California or Nevada were repaired.