Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

absolutely anything posted:

Mario World is an expertly crafted game but I have no real passion for it and Mario 3 is better in like every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mario World is an expertly crafted game but I have no real passion for it and Mario 3 is better in like every way
SmB3 doesn't save my progress tho.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

SmB3 doesn't save my progress tho.

All-stars does and crappy music aside it's my preferred way to play.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I never said I hated SMW, I just don't think it's that great. It's a fun game and I've played through it a handful of times. But part of it is that a lot of the levels are pretty forgettable and one of the items you get basically lets you skip almost every level once you've mastered using it.

People have opinions. :shrug:

al-azad posted:

All-stars does and crappy music aside it's my preferred way to play.

It's a real shame that the All-Stars versions of SMB1 and Lost Levels have a pretty massive bug with the brick breaking physics, otherwise they're all basically flawless ports... aside from the butchering of World 9 in Lost Levels.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh sometimes, but not allways. All kinds of games ship with unused content on the ROM or disc. Ocarina of Time has unused levels, Goldeneye has test levels with broken height map data, GTA had the infamous "Hot Coffee" fiasco...

Its just not worth the time to "properly" fix/remove it. Until somebody goes snooping in your code and data files nobody would probably notice.

Wasn't there a Tiger Woods game on the PSX that had a South Park episode as space filler?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Wasn't there a Tiger Woods game on the PSX that had a South Park episode as space filler?

Not space filler, it was an employee sharing the video and forgetting to remove it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I always thought SMW was pretty good, but to this day, I can't control the cape to save my life.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I always thought SMW was pretty good, but to this day, I can't control the cape to save my life.

Really? The cape is great, just dive until Mario's face is almost perpendicular with the ground then pull up. I don't think it's possible to lose altitude.

Now the loving feather cap, let me tell you. When Woody describes Buzz's flying as "falling with style" he was actually talking about the feather cap.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a Midway N64 hockey game game that's full of holiday photos from Dave Lang because they had some space left over and felt it would be wasteful to not fill it with something.

EDIT this one: https://tcrf.net/NHL_Breakaway_98_(Nintendo_64)

"At the end of the game's development, N64 programmers Dave Lang and Tom Carbone noticed that they had about a megabyte of free space left in the ROM. Considering it "un-American" to leave it unused, they decided to fill it with a slideshow with photos of themselves and their friends and families, because why not?

The slideshow was hidden behind a button combination, but unfortunately nobody involved can remember it. Luckily, we can bruteforce our way in: use GameShark code 8013CEBF 0038 and select any option on the main menu."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09yz9N0T-E

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Not space filler, it was an employee sharing the video and forgetting to remove it.

Also not an episode, it was the Spirit of Christmas video that was getting shared around that pre-dated the show. Since they were inadvertantly pirating the video, that version of the game had to be recalled.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a Midway N64 hockey game game that's full of holiday photos from Dave Lang because they had some space left over and felt it would be wasteful to not fill it with something.

EDIT this one: https://tcrf.net/NHL_Breakaway_98_(Nintendo_64)

"At the end of the game's development, N64 programmers Dave Lang and Tom Carbone noticed that they had about a megabyte of free space left in the ROM. Considering it "un-American" to leave it unused, they decided to fill it with a slideshow with photos of themselves and their friends and families, because why not?

The slideshow was hidden behind a button combination, but unfortunately nobody involved can remember it. Luckily, we can bruteforce our way in: use GameShark code 8013CEBF 0038 and select any option on the main menu."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09yz9N0T-E

Why did you bring up on this thread the Lang Zone?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wow, Lang has not really aged all that much.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I recently heard someone say that the majority of NES games aren't good. Initially I thought that statement was crap but after thinking a bit I started wondering if he might be right. What percent of NES games do you thin are crap/shovelware??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wizgot posted:

I recently heard someone say that the majority of NES games aren't good. Initially I thought that statement was crap but after thinking a bit I started wondering if he might be right. What percent of NES games do you thin are crap/shovelware??

I have a little over 60 NES games, with a few of them being crap, and I have a few games on my wishlist. The total library is over 700 titles?

I can believe it. I'm currently sitting at like 10% of the library. I'm sure there's lots of good or even okay games that I don't have or don't even know, but there's gotta be a good 50% of lovely lovely poo poo games, yeah. Nintendo seal of quality!!

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

I was wondering, as well, if the same thing happens to games today. Has the quality of videogames really gone up? I'm sure. I still think there are loads of lovely and mediocre games that come out today for modern systems.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Just look out for anything made by LJN.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
And I'd say the number spikes a bit if we add in other regions and don't just go NES. There was some real shite on the Famicom that never saw the light here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NES had a lot of crap games but I'd say a relatively low percentage of that was "shovelware", it just wasn't very good.

I feel like the really awful throwaway games didn't show up in bulk until the Playstation era and pretty much every dedicated gaming system from then on got a ton of shovelware, until smartphones blew up and all the trashy cash-in games went there instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wizgot posted:

I was wondering, as well, if the same thing happens to games today. Has the quality of videogames really gone up? I'm sure. I still think there are loads of lovely and mediocre games that come out today for modern systems.

The games industry is way bigger so there's way more crap today than ever before. But we have more ways of filtering it and finding the good ones.

But like, just look at the iOS store alone, that dwarfs all the shovelware from NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, combined. Easily.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I feel like the really awful throwaway games didn't show up in bulk until the Playstation era and pretty much every dedicated gaming system from then on got a ton of shovelware, until smartphones blew up and all the trashy cash-in games went there instead.

I don't know. Have you seen Steam lately?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

In this case I think you have to differentiate between AAA studios and small independent studios/people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My OSSC is taking so long to fit with the audio board that I basically forgot I even ordered it until I got a status update yesterday :sigh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In "...huh." news, Hyperkin are bringing back "The Duke" for Xbox One and Windows 10, with the endorsement of original Xbox co-creator Seamus Blackley.

The original design is augmented with shoulder bumpers, a detachable 9-foot-long cable, and, uh, a lil' screen displaying an animated logo in place of the original sticker. It's still gonna be big as gently caress, though.

No word on price or release date beyond "Holiday 2017".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The games industry is way bigger so there's way more crap today than ever before. But we have more ways of filtering it and finding the good ones.

But like, just look at the iOS store alone, that dwarfs all the shovelware from NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, combined. Easily.

This right here. I'd say the ratio of good-to-bad among published games is better than it was 30 years ago because companies can't afford to release true stinkers anymore (although mediocre games to me are worst than outright broken games) but even among thousands of lovely cash-ins that get released monthly there are thousands of people diligently telling me which ones are worth my money.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

True, but I think a lot of the poo poo you see on PC nowadays is driven by different motivations... "shovelware" is publishers cashing in on a license or fad without giving a gently caress about quality but so much of what shows up on Steam is clearly just my-first-project stuff made by people with no clear motivation and no real attempt to appeal to anyone, so I'm not bothered by it in the same way because it can be naive and crass but it's usually harmless.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Kins posted:

In "...huh." news, Hyperkin are bringing back "The Duke" for Xbox One and Windows 10, with the endorsement of original Xbox co-creator Seamus Blackley.

I doubt anyone went "man, OG Xbox backwards compatibility for the Xbone is cool, but I wish I could play those games with the Duke controller", but I kinda love the fact we'll have the option to do so.

Honestly, I never found the Duke the slightest bit uncomfortable despite having small hands. The Controller S was an improvement in most ways, but I didn't mind the original at all.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Doc Morbid posted:

I doubt anyone went "man, OG Xbox backwards compatibility for the Xbone is cool, but I wish I could play those games with the Duke controller", but I kinda love the fact we'll have the option to do so.

Honestly, I never found the Duke the slightest bit uncomfortable despite having small hands. The Controller S was an improvement in most ways, but I didn't mind the original at all.

I never would have thought of it, but I really like the idea. I still need to get ahold of a duke controller for my OG Xbox.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The first thing that came to mind was that the d-pad looks like it was seriously heat-warped :q:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Martytoof posted:

The first thing that came to mind was that the d-pad looks like it was seriously heat-warped :q:

Whenever I look at the Duke's d-pad, all I can think of is "man, I really liked the old Sidewinder pad - I'm glad they went with that".

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

The original design is augmented with shoulder bumpers, a detachable 9-foot-long cable, and, uh, a lil' screen displaying an animated logo in place of the original sticker. It's still gonna be big as gently caress, though.

I love the Duke and I will buy one of these as long as it isn't $gently caress expensive. It fits my monstrously large hands so nicely.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Kins posted:

Now just bring the Master Chief Collection to PC :pray:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So if they added trigger buttons to the Duke, then what the crap to the black and white buttons do now

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shadow Hog posted:

So if they added trigger buttons to the Duke, then what the crap to the black and white buttons do now

Probably mirror them.

It might just be because I'm a dumbass but being able to play original Xbox discs kind of makes me want to get an xbone. Last non Nintendo console I had was a PS2 so the ability to play three gens I missed is mighty tempting. If they get Burnout 3, SSX Tricky and the Tony hawk games working though I could see myself impulse buying one easily.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Kins posted:

That actually seems like a decent emulator controller. If the sticks click in, it's got 2 sets of shoulder buttons, and black/white don't just map to L1/R1, then you've basically got all the current standard buttons plus a 6-button layout.

Actually, even if black & white are just remaps of something it wouldn't be bad, you'd still be able to use it for something like the Saturn since that had 6 buttons but only 1 set of shoulder buttons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Continue to be the black and white buttons while you play the Xbox titles?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I get distracted for a few days, come back and there's loving Super Mario World poo poo talk. Get the gently caress out of this thread and go make your "lovely opinions about games" megathread.

:toot:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Opinions are like assholes...

This thread is full of them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mostly agreed but SMB3 really could have benefited from the ability to save and replay levels, two features which finally got added into the GBA version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Being able to save is something we take for granted and is a big reason why I also preferred World, as well as why both All-Stars the GBA releases were a big deal for me. It's also why I've always been on the Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) team over Sonic 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Being able to save is something we take for granted and is a big reason why I also preferred World, as well as why both All-Stars the GBA releases were a big deal for me. It's also why I've always been on the Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) team over Sonic 2.

Just as long as you remember to cheese it and replay the easiest ghost house after every level.

• Locked thread