Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
So here's a question for you guys. Right now I ride with earplugs but I'm really interested in some of the helmet comms/bluetooth systems for commuting/longer rides. Having tunes on the way to work and being able to shout at my phone for directions in a pinch would be nice.

Has anyone had any experience using these with some kind of hearing protection in place? As an alternative, are there systems that allow for moulded IEM type setups, or is it basically a choice between hearing protection and audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

The_Maz posted:

So here's a question for you guys. Right now I ride with earplugs but I'm really interested in some of the helmet comms/bluetooth systems for commuting/longer rides. Having tunes on the way to work and being able to shout at my phone for directions in a pinch would be nice.

Has anyone had any experience using these with some kind of hearing protection in place? As an alternative, are there systems that allow for moulded IEM type setups, or is it basically a choice between hearing protection and audio?

Most, if not all, of the helmet bluetooth speaker system things are designed to be used with earplugs etc. The Sena sytem that I have can go way loud. You can plug in your own headphones too, instead of using their helmet speakers.

edit: I believe you need an adapter if you want to use your own IEMs, but I don't recommend it since there are more wires to deal with. One of the nice things about having the Sena speakers is that everything is self-contained. No extra wires to deal with. Just turn the unit on and go.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 21, 2014

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
That's awesome, thanks for the info. I'm definitely looking into the Sena knowing that it'll work with plugs now. I'd much rather deal with fewer wires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I like the headphone setup with the sena because depending on helmet design, you may or may not be able to get a reasonable volume on the speakers. And I'm putting in earplugs anyways, so headphones are the same with the bonus of much higher sound quality.

It does require an additional adapter plate, though, and I recommend looping the headphones over the front of the sena unit to stop you from destroying the baseplate, their design is a little shoddy.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Earbuds are a pain in the dick if you're on and off the bike a lot, especially in unsecured places where you can't carry all your gear around. Having two expensive dangly cords to deal with when you go in somewhere, taking the helmet off carefully so you don't ram the drivers into your brain, ensuring proper fit, etc. It's not a big deal, it just slows you down and getting geared up/geared down is my least favorite part of motorcycling.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MotoMind posted:

Earbuds are a pain in the dick if you're on and off the bike a lot, especially in unsecured places where you can't carry all your gear around. Having two expensive dangly cords to deal with when you go in somewhere, taking the helmet off carefully so you don't ram the drivers into your brain, ensuring proper fit, etc. It's not a big deal, it just slows you down and getting geared up/geared down is my least favorite part of motorcycling.

Disregard stops, acquire mileage.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Interesting. Sounds like step one here would be to see if my current IEMs can get under my helmet without lobotomizing me. I have These right now and while they're great for noise reduction, the drivers definitely stick out.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yeah, I have HF5's too and they hurt like hell, but some people have been able to make them work. The Shure snail design seems to be more likely to fit under a helmet without being driven deep into your skull, but have not tried and YMMV.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I got tired of wearing earbuds. After I purchased the helmet I wear now, they would make my ears sore after an hour and a half or so of riding. I decided to hack open an old pair of headphones I had and placed the speakers behind the comfort padding in my cheek pads. I neatly ran the wires around inside the helmet behind the padding and taped it to the shell. I soldered a female fitting on the end that I attached with some velcro strips. It exits at the lip of the helmet just below my left ear, between the shell and the cheekpad. I use a stereo cable extension from that to hook into an ipod shuffle.

It works perfectly. I can hear the music with ear plugs on, and the price was less than fifteen bucks for everything I needed. I can't feel the speakers at all when wearing the helmet, and I can quickly detach the extension when taking off the helmet without having to worry about my ears or any cords.

I've considered a sena for some time now but considering I don't use my phone a lot and mostly ride alone, I don't think I would get a lot of use out of it to justify the price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The_Maz posted:

Interesting. Sounds like step one here would be to see if my current IEMs can get under my helmet without lobotomizing me. I have These right now and while they're great for noise reduction, the drivers definitely stick out.

I use these - they fit me just fine, but so much of if earbuds fit comfortably under a helmet depends on your ears, your head shape, helmet construction, etc. The Suomys have pretty roomy ear pockets so that really helps. Pull the straps out to the sides as you pull the helmet on and that helps avoid pulling the earbuds out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What are the opinions on the Icon Overlord jacket? I want leather, but living in LA I also need something really breathable. I can get the Overlord pretty cheap, but it won't matter if I can't use it all summer. Should I really just go mesh and then use the Overlord for the other 8 months of below 100 weather?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I personally don't like leather above like mid-80's temps, no matter how vented, but others disagree. Vented leather is one thing at track speeds but at street pace mesh seems to blow it away (heh) for getting air and heat through.

Bringing this up is also going to stir up the endless vented-vs-no vents ambients above body temp debate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I personally don't like leather above like mid-80's temps, no matter how vented, but others disagree. Vented leather is one thing at track speeds but at street pace mesh seems to blow it away (heh) for getting air and heat through.

Bringing this up is also going to stir up the endless vented-vs-no vents ambients above body temp debate.

A debate I will happily read since I'm still learning. I guess I'll see what price I can get the jacket for. If it is under $150 I will probably snag that and find a mesh one for Summer riding.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I use these - they fit me just fine, but so much of if earbuds fit comfortably under a helmet depends on your ears, your head shape, helmet construction, etc. The Suomys have pretty roomy ear pockets so that really helps. Pull the straps out to the sides as you pull the helmet on and that helps avoid pulling the earbuds out.

I also have Etymotics - they fit in my Arai if I wet them a little so they slide all the way down into my ear. poo poo sounds better and cancels noise better like that anyway.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chichevache posted:

What are the opinions on the Icon Overlord jacket? I want leather, but living in LA I also need something really breathable. I can get the Overlord pretty cheap, but it won't matter if I can't use it all summer. Should I really just go mesh and then use the Overlord for the other 8 months of below 100 weather?

I've had experience with two Icon things (a pair of mesh pants I borrowed from a friend and the Elsinore boots) and the build quality is just awful. As in, no crashes and it's falling apart. I think someone in here was saying they farm out their manufacturing to the lowest bidder in China or something. I wouldn't buy anything Icon ever again, personally.

If you want a leather jacket, I would suggest looking on Craigshouse for a better brand at a secondhand price. I picked up a Fieldsheer leather jacket for $50 two years ago that I'm still wearing today (it had been down at least once before on a previous owner, I took a little spill in it in January, and still has at least another crash left in it).

Even with all the vents (6 in the front), it's definitely a three-season jacket. It's entirely possible that a perforated leather jacket designed for warmer climates is doable for summer where you live, but I think it's easier to switch to mesh* when things start heating up. The mesh also doubles as protection for a pillion, they've been fine even in the winter (with me in the Fieldsheer) if they wear a jacket and another warm base layer, since I'm blocking most of the wind up front.

*don't buy a Rev'It Airwave.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Is this jacket worth a look?

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/mens+street+apparel+sale/joe+rocket_supermoto+leather-mesh+jacket

I want something heavy duty but still breathable. The price looks too good to pass up, but I don't know if Joe Rocket is reputable or not.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Joe Rocket's pretty poo poo and I sure as hell wouldn't spend $400 on that jacket. For $150? Ehhhh, you could do worse.

Googling around there's plenty of reviews and they seem positive, noting that it's been 'on clearance' at that price point for like 4 years now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Joe Rocket's pretty poo poo and I sure as hell wouldn't spend $400 on that jacket. For $150? Ehhhh, you could do worse.

Googling around there's plenty of reviews and they seem positive, noting that it's been 'on clearance' at that price point for like 4 years now.

I've got the rocket phoenix 3 mesh over pants and they are better than any other pair I've owned. Very adjustable and plenty of room for aftermarket protection if you desire (hips and butt, they come with knee armor and padding in the aforementioned areas).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't realize they were 4 years old... I'll check the measurements and if it fits I'll probably buy it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Has Joe Rocket quality gone down over the years? I've got a six year old Joe Rocket jacket that I like -- it saved my left arm, shoulder, and back from significant injury in 2008, and it's still in pretty good shape (worn out zipper notwithstanding).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anybody want a coupon for free shipping from motorcycle superstore? It's good for any order, but it expires at the end of March.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Is there anywhere to buy a cheap/used leather suit, I want to start building a bike for minigp at njmsp so the speeds won't be super high but I'd still rather have a one piece suit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Craigslist or weraclassifieds.com

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have a Joe Rocket perfed leather jacked that I secretly worry is poo poo, but it's fairly comfortable even past 90. It might get retired for some mesh gear for the summer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So I went to Cyclegear today to buy a helmet and jacket. The jacket is amazing, a white Dainese Veloce with perforated leather. The helmet is a SevenZeroSeven Backlash that felt good when I bought it, but now I'm sitting at home wearing it and I'm starting to get headaches. Guess I'm going to have to return it and shell out the extra cash for a Shoei. :sigh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Scorpions are nice and cheap too.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Chichevache posted:

So I went to Cyclegear today to buy a helmet and jacket. The jacket is amazing, a white Dainese Veloce with perforated leather. The helmet is a SevenZeroSeven Backlash that felt good when I bought it, but now I'm sitting at home wearing it and I'm starting to get headaches. Guess I'm going to have to return it and shell out the extra cash for a Shoei. :sigh:

If you're getting headaches it's either not quite the right size or, much more likely, just the wrong shape for your head. Shoeis are nice but they don't fit me right at all, I'm pretty sure they'd give me a headache within an hour - just because they're super nice doesn't mean they're right for you. Start by read about helmet/head shape, figure out roughly where you fall, then go sit around bike shops with those helmets on for a long time and see if you feel any warm spots or pressure.

Actually, since you've got that SevenZeroSeven, can you tell where it's pressing? Is it on the sides of your head, the forehead, the crown? If you take it off after 10 minutes and look in a mirror, can you see any red spots or indents on your head? Those can be your starting points to figure out if you need to go rounder or narrower.

Helmets are really hard to get right. My first full-face was an HJC that was the right size but never felt right - way too round for me. My next was a Scorpion EXO700 that was always a hair too small but mostly too short - I'd get a harsh red spot on my forehead after an hour or so. After enduring that for a couple years I tried on every helmet I could get my hands on - every Bell, HJC, Scorpion, Shoei, Arai, Icon, Shark - and in a bunch of different sizes. I'm seriously talking more than a year of trying on helmets every time I visited a bike shop. That, plus webBikeWorld's reviews and Revzilla's videos (which usually include internal shape), I ultimately realized that I had a very narrow head, according to helmet makers. Arai's Signet-Q and Icon's Airmada were the only helmets that truly fit right.

What I'm saying is: expect to spend a lot of time to find the perfect helmet. What I'm also saying is: don't let perfect be the enemy of good, and if you come pretty close buy cheap and wear it out. It'll take some time riding to really figure out what you want in helmets and gear.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 27, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If you're getting headaches it's either not quite the right size or, much more likely, just the wrong shape for your head. Shoeis are nice but they don't fit me right at all, I'm pretty sure they'd give me a headache within an hour - just because they're super nice doesn't mean they're right for you. Start by read about helmet/head shape, figure out roughly where you fall, then go sit around bike shops with those helmets on for a long time and see if you feel any warm spots or pressure.

Actually, since you've got that SevenZeroSeven, can you tell where it's pressing? Is it on the sides of your head, the forehead, the crown? If you take it off after 10 minutes and look in a mirror, can you see any red spots or indents on your head? Those can be your starting points to figure out if you need to go rounder or narrower.

Helmets are really hard to get right. My first full-face was an HJC that was the right size but never felt right - way too round for me. My next was a Scorpion EXO700 that was always a hair too small but mostly too short - I'd get a harsh red spot on my forehead after an hour or so. After enduring that for a couple years I tried on every helmet I could get my hands on - every Bell, HJC, Scorpion, Shoei, Arai, Icon, Shark - and in a bunch of different sizes. I'm seriously talking more than a year of trying on helmets every time I visited a bike shop. That, plus webBikeWorld's reviews and Revzilla's videos (which usually include internal shape), I ultimately realized that I had a very narrow head, according to helmet makers. Arai's Signet-Q and Icon's Airmada were the only helmets that truly fit right.

What I'm saying is: expect to spend a lot of time to find the perfect helmet. What I'm also saying is: don't let perfect be the enemy of good, and if you come pretty close buy cheap and wear it out. It'll take some time riding to really figure out what you want in helmets and gear.

The Shoei actually felt great when I tried it on there, which is why I think it might be my best bet. I think the SevenZeroSeven (Backlash model) is pressing too much on the forehead. It may also be a little narrow around the jaw. Not the cheeks, but right at the spot where my jaw connects to my... whatever it connects to. It is also possible the whole helmet is too small. I got a medium, but the AGV and Shoeis I tried were larges.

BlackMK4 posted:

Scorpions are nice and cheap too.

Too bad they don't carry any. :smith:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chichevache posted:

The Shoei actually felt great when I tried it on there, which is why I think it might be my best bet. I think the SevenZeroSeven (Backlash model) is pressing too much on the forehead. It may also be a little narrow around the jaw. Not the cheeks, but right at the spot where my jaw connects to my... whatever it connects to. It is also possible the whole helmet is too small. I got a medium, but the AGV and Shoeis I tried were larges.

Too bad they don't carry any. :smith:

Which Shoei models did you try? They all fit a little different. The AGV K-3 and K-4 Evo have different shapes, too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

Which Shoei models did you try? They all fit a little different. The AGV K-3 and K-4 Evo have different shapes, too.

No clue. I'm going to try to go by tomorrow morning to check it out again.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Chichevache posted:

No clue. I'm going to try to go by tomorrow morning to check it out again.

Measure your head, then try whatever sizes each manufacturer recommends for your head size. It may vary from make to make. When you think you've found The One, wear it for as long as you can in store to maximise the chance that it's really the right fit for you. Sometimes a pressure point will take a while to become apparent.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also try the SevenZeroSeven Vendetta2 if they still have those. I tried both the Vendetta and the Backlash, and felt like the Backlash was going to flatten my ears permanently. The Vendetta ended up having more jaw and parietal room. It's been a good helmet for my big weird head for a couple years now.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ok, time for a gear evaluation before I start some more serious touring.

I really need some new gloves and boots ASAP as my current "boots" are these shift shoes with barely any ankle protection: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shift-racing-fuel-street-shoes

Gloves are some short cuff off-brand, total junk and terrible when it's cold.

I was looking at these cortech latigo RR boot and gloves:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-latigo-rr-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-latigo-waterproof-rr-boot

Any good? They seem fairly affordable and are waterproof. Are sidi boots and alpinestars gloves going to be a massive improvement/worth the price?

My GMAX helmet isn't the best, but it's snell 2005 and comfortable so I don't see an issue with keeping it for now.

I have Fly Coolpro pants which I really like but I gained weight from lifting :btroll: so I think I'm just going to sell my 32's and buy some 34's.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-pants

Jacket is a large Cortech air mesh, which is comfortable, seems to have good protection and zips up to my fly pants.

I also need a suggestion on rain over-gear.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010
Time for a new helmet Voltage , should be replacing it every 5 years.

Directly from the Snell foundation
"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Snell '05 is the spec, I don't think he meant he's rocking a nine year old helmet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Erays3r posted:

Time for a new helmet Voltage , should be replacing it every 5 years.

Hahah i needed a good laugh.

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Snell '05 is the spec, I don't think he meant he's rocking a nine year old helmet.

I would hope he wouldnt be , but better safe than sorry ;)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Speaking of helmets, I just got my $30 Shark EX0-700. It's a little cheaper-seeming than my Shoei, but still quite nice. One thing, though, is that it runs small. I ordered the XXL, and it's quite tight. I'm going to wear it a bit and hope it breaks in, but if not, eh, $30 helmet. It'll be a nice B helmet, and the visor is supposed to have magical anti-fogging properties.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Scorpion, GOSH!
Shoei's big thing is that they're all ~hand made~ and ~hand painted~ in Japan with fiber glass and "organic fibers". The EXO-400 is just going to be injection molded plastic.

My K-3 broke in recently and it's a little too loose on the cranium. The only helmet we have that fits properly is the RF1200. We get a once a year deal from Shoei for any helmet at 50% off retail if we order direct from them. Just need to talk the GF into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Picked up a Shoei RF1200 last weekend. I love it so far! Such a huge step up in quality from my HJC CL16.