Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice ninjer. try not to drop it :].

Aw poo poo, new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

pokie posted:

Nice ninjer. try not to drop it :].

Aw poo poo, new page.

lmao I almost did parking it after getting back from the parking lot training. But managed to muscle it back up straight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deep Thoreau posted:

lmao I almost did parking it after getting back from the parking lot training. But managed to muscle it back up straight.

I know this will fall on deaf ears for anyone else reading this thread considering getting into bikes but imagine if you had that same scenario with a cbr600 or harley sportster or w.h.y.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

I know this will fall on deaf ears for anyone else reading this thread considering getting into bikes but imagine if you had that same scenario with a cbr600 or harley sportster or w.h.y.

For sure. I upgraded to the MV too early, but at least I didn't drop it 3 or 4 times like my ninja, which I later sold at only a small loss. A simple parking lot gently caress up would be at least $1500 in repairs for Italian bullshit. I can imagine it's the same for HD etc.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I saw an ad for a 2000 zzr250 in mint apparent condition with 12K on the clock, new tyres and battery, for $1500 and I'm having to hold myself back from just leaping on it and revving off into the sunset because I can't justify a second bike to the wife. That and the fact I'm going to drop roughly that much on bike leathers/gear over the next month or so is messing with my head for some reason. :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's just a ninja 250 with a nicer frame.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Seeing how low you can get the mpg on a 250 is a lotta fun

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

Seeing how low you can get the mpg on a 250 is a lotta fun

It's loving hard work. I had a 2010 ninja and I would routinely get 380-400kms in stop/start traffic out of the tank. It really made me ill prepared when I bought my VTR1000F that would give me a fuel warning light after 120kms.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Slavvy posted:

I did this with the 10 my third week. Somehow my keychain got wedged in weird amongst the cables and as I was taking a hard right out of my inclined drive way it clicked the ignition off. Luckily I was able to slowly let it down and didn't rash anything up but drat I felt stupid.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 29, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Why do you have anything on your motorcycle key at all.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

nullscan posted:

I did this with the 10 my third week. Somehow my keychain got wedged in weird amongst the cables and as I was taking a hard right out of my inclined drive way it clicked the ignition off. Luckily I was able to slowly let it down and didn't rash anything up but drat I felt stupid.

Dude what the gently caress

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I kinda need to see this keychain.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Why do you have anything on your motorcycle key at all.

Should always at least have a key ring on there, I have one on and I put it through the zipper pull on my leathers as I have no pockets in a race suit when stopped for lunch etc. It's also served as replacement zipper pulls for myself and friends when their Dainese pulls break off.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fanelien posted:

Should always at least have a key ring on there, I have one on and I put it through the zipper pull on my leathers as I have no pockets in a race suit when stopped for lunch etc. It's also served as replacement zipper pulls for myself and friends when their Dainese pulls break off.

Just put the keyring on the zipper tab. :smuggo:

Seriously though, only complaint about Dainese; the zipper tags are the achilles heel. It all survives the huge amount of abuse/neglect I give it except for that.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Just put the keyring on the zipper tab. :smuggo:

Seriously though, only complaint about Dainese; the zipper tags are the achilles heel. It all survives the huge amount of abuse/neglect I give it except for that.

Easier on the key in my opinion.

And you're not the only one to have that issue with Dainese zips. Pretty much every jacket I've seen with a zipper pull broken mid ride has been Dainese. I am seriously considering taking all my gear to a repairer to have all the zips changed over and all made the same type so I can mix and match.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It was the fob for the alarm. Needless to say it has since been removed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've got one of those tag things because I like it, that's all though, doesn't cause me any problems and it's bright so my rear end can find it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I have a rubber fob on my bike key because otherwise it's a nightmare to find in my pocket, and I have constant nightmares of pulling it out with my normal key ring and dropping it without noticing it.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

nullscan posted:

It was the fob for the alarm. Needless to say it has since been removed.

Aftermarket alarm? Throw it away. As a Locksmith I regard alarms and even alarm/immobilisers as minor issues. If someone wants your bike an alarm/immo/bike lock unless it's a massive steel welded chain which requires minutes of loud cutting to bypass if they want it they will take it.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I mainly keep it for the proximity sensor since it's parked just out side my window. My last bike was hosed with by local kids and if I had one it would have woke me up in time to throw a shoe at them.

I'm well aware that it won't stop a pro, but theres not a whole lot of that going on in Korea.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My first bike. It's not much to look at, but I like it.

On a trip to a local lake today.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 29, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Bike small.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Fixed the resolution, sorry about that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ever so slowly laid my brand new less than a week old gsxr600 down while getting gas. This was after years and years of riding dirt, and a couple of street bikes. I basically stumbled getting off it and the bike just went over before I had the kickstand down.

Thankfully I had just put the frame sliders on that same day and all I suffered was embarrassment and a little scuff on the frame slider. Man was I pissed though :ssj:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What I'm taking away from this is that you might as well just get a gsxr as your first bike so long as you put sliders on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No the takeaway is put sliders on all bikes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Carth Dookie posted:

I kinda need to see this keychain.

Imagine I posted that pic from a year ago or whatever where the guy had a fist-sized ball of keys like a high school janitor's set bouncing around on the top yoke

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Deep Thoreau posted:

Hey, I'm a motorcycle person now.

That looks identical to the ninja 300 in my garage. Great choice and welcome

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
My fob is just a braided loop of the finest, most luxurious, Alpaca yarn. It's mostly so I can yank it out of my pocket with gloves on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Speaking of keys, has anyone ever had a lock fitted to a key? My bike at some point before I owned it had the ignition lock replaced (due to an attempted theft, I assume), so now the key for the ignition is different from the key for the gas tank and helmet holder. That pisses me off and I want to get it rekeyed to use the same one for all three. It would be a locksmith job, cause I'm sure the dealer can't fix a 30 year old lock like that any more. Any idea what that would cost?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of keys, has anyone ever had a lock fitted to a key? My bike at some point before I owned it had the ignition lock replaced (due to an attempted theft, I assume), so now the key for the ignition is different from the key for the gas tank and helmet holder. That pisses me off and I want to get it rekeyed to use the same one for all three. It would be a locksmith job, cause I'm sure the dealer can't fix a 30 year old lock like that any more. Any idea what that would cost?

Assuming the lock(s) can be changed, about 150.00.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My bike key came with a bottle opener on the keychain :getin:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

My bike key came with a bottle opener on the keychain :getin:

My key chain ring is a bottle opener/"carabiner"

I just take the bike key on and off as needed.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I thought it was dumb at first but I've come to appreciate keyless ignition. No more ripping a glove back off because I'm an idiot who forgets to dig the key out of my pocket before I put all the gear on.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Jazzzzz posted:

I thought it was dumb at first but I've come to appreciate keyless ignition. No more ripping a glove back off because I'm an idiot who forgets to dig the key out of my pocket before I put all the gear on.
Keyless ignition seems so much more useful on a bike than a car, and I love it in my car.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jazzzzz posted:

Buy huge riding pants and have the waist and inseam tailored.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

A question for me! The locksmith!

Is it the same profile(key type) for all 3 still, if so it's a doddle once the lock is off the bike. However with most bikes that means the top triple clamp off. If someone removed it and brought it to me I'd be charging about $90 AUD, if I had to remove and refit the top triple on site probably another 300 on top of that.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a ride from Hollister to Coaling today with SA user Mental contempt. It happened to be a giant HD rally weekend too.

Hollister:

Sweet agave in Coalinga:

Mental and I swapped bikes a couple of times and had a blast. 9 hour ride overall. My loving fingers are sore.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Did some gravel and a couple canyons in Wyoming and Colorado yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Did some gravel and a couple canyons in Wyoming and Colorado yesterday.

Are these different versions of the same bike? I like the red wheels.