Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Wooo, wheel bearing failure. I'm lucky it shat itself BEFORE the race started. We were on the out lap for the green flag when it disintegrated. I had to limp it back to the pits thru the whole infield portion of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q8H6jHKMBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Hey guys am I doing this right??

Bought a EJ205 WRX motor for $900! Throwing it in the TS over the next couple months after I piece together some parts for the swap. It has 212,000 KM and the guy said it had a P0301 misfire (cylinder 1) and would crap out after a bit of driving. He thought it was a sticking valve, so he just went out and bought an EJ207. I'm thinking it's probably just a coil pack or something relatively minor. We did a cold compression test and each cylinder came out at 150-155 PSI. Keep in mind that's cold with the throttle plate closed. This motor should be minty.

It looks so eager.

Twin engine powah! I'm amazed how well it fit.

I found this leak(?) near the back right of the engine, under the turbo. It almost looks like oil was dripping out of the intercooler hoses. Any ideas what would've caused this?

I'm excited!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

MrZig posted:

Hey guys am I doing this right??

Bought a EJ205 WRX motor for $900! Throwing it in the TS over the next couple months after I piece together some parts for the swap. It has 212,000 KM and the guy said it had a P0301 misfire (cylinder 1) and would crap out after a bit of driving. He thought it was a sticking valve, so he just went out and bought an EJ207. I'm thinking it's probably just a coil pack or something relatively minor. We did a cold compression test and each cylinder came out at 150-155 PSI. Keep in mind that's cold with the throttle plate closed. This motor should be minty.
It looks so eager.

Is this from the guy in maple ridge, on nasioc? I am doing the same swap as him as my ej205 crapped a rod bearing. Once I get my 207 running you can buy all my old 205 stuff, it ran fine other than the rod bearing.

Oil could be coming from the intercooler pipes, that would be bad turbo seals. When I pulled my motor I can't remember there being any hoses in that area full oil that I had to undo.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Well this is kind of an existential question to ask, but here goes:

I love my 2002 WRX wagon. It has been an amazing car, the best I've ever owned. It has been exceedingly reliable, and it has served me well through college and now into my first career-esque job. When I bought it, it had 70k miles on it. Even at such a low mileagle level, I had to deal with a PO who deferred maintenance. They didn't flog the poo poo out of the car, but they decided it was a good idea to use the clutch instead of the fading brakes. Fast forward to 100k miles, in which I've had the brakes, timing belt, water pump, cam seals, clutch/flywheel, and new spark plugs etc done to it, which was a combination of necessary maintenance and dealing with a lazy PO. As it stands now, the car has 152k on the clock, and its running like a champ (all required maintenance done dutifully). The only aftermarket upgrade to the car has been stoptech street pads, stainless steel brake lines, slightly bigger rotors, and DOT4 fluid. The car does lose a bit of oil (a quart in 2500 miles with a slight, repairable leak near the oil cooler). Thanks to life sometimes working out, I finally have both money, time, and access to a mechanic friend complete with shop/lift. Should I mod this car? I love it for what it is now, but I've driven modded subarus and I know how great they can be, but I can also snag a cheap Z or 240, and have a kickass DD with my stock WRX. Also as its worth to note on a 2002MY car, my transmission is rock solid.

TLDR- I love my stock 152k mile reliable 2002 WRX and I'm ready and able to mod it, but should it stay as a DD in favor of another project car?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

blindjoe posted:

Is this from the guy in maple ridge, on nasioc? I am doing the same swap as him as my ej205 crapped a rod bearing. Once I get my 207 running you can buy all my old 205 stuff, it ran fine other than the rod bearing.

Oil could be coming from the intercooler pipes, that would be bad turbo seals. When I pulled my motor I can't remember there being any hoses in that area full oil that I had to undo.

Yep, it's from the guy in Maple Ridge. You know him and the car? Any details you can tell me about it?

And hm, leaking seals from the turbo eh. Sounds like that could be it, I see no other place for oil to be leaking out of. Used TD04's are cheap enough.

Edit: What kind of 205 stuff do you have?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

MrZig posted:

Yep, it's from the guy in Maple Ridge. You know him and the car? Any details you can tell me about it?

And hm, leaking seals from the turbo eh. Sounds like that could be it, I see no other place for oil to be leaking out of. Used TD04's are cheap enough.

Edit: What kind of 205 stuff do you have?

Everything from the 205, same as what you have in your car, minus bottom end as mine is junked. Need to keep ECU for aircare. Spun the bearing 3 months away from getting my last aircare and then not having to care. Ill also have random stuff left over from upgrading like exhaust and radiator and so on. Not going to sell/junk anything until I know I don't need it though. You are in kelowna or something right? A bit far away for me to help you with too much, but offer is open as long as I don't have to go to far (lol my car is broken).

I only know that guy because I have been talking to him about getting his 207, and following his thread. No idea on what he did to the motor before.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

blindjoe posted:

Everything from the 205, same as what you have in your car, minus bottom end as mine is junked. Need to keep ECU for aircare. Spun the bearing 3 months away from getting my last aircare and then not having to care. Ill also have random stuff left over from upgrading like exhaust and radiator and so on. Not going to sell/junk anything until I know I don't need it though. You are in kelowna or something right? A bit far away for me to help you with too much, but offer is open as long as I don't have to go to far (lol my car is broken).

I only know that guy because I have been talking to him about getting his 207, and following his thread. No idea on what he did to the motor before.

Ahh ok. When do you think you'll be doing the 207 swap? Things I know I need are the stock intake (box and hoses), the entire exhaust, throttle cable, etc. But you probably need most of the things I need, because the guy I bought this from wouldn't give me his haha.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Ardemia posted:

TLDR- I love my stock 152k mile reliable 2002 WRX and I'm ready and able to mod it, but should it stay as a DD in favor of another project car?

Downpipe, exhaust, tune, done.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Downpipe, exhaust, tune, done.

I think this gen has a cat in the up pipe as well that you probably want to remove.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

blargle posted:

I think this gen has a cat in the up pipe as well that you probably want to remove.

They do

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spun a bearing at the track today. Pretty catastrophic. Put a deposit down on a new STi and am going to either part it out or sell the 04 as a mostly complete shell. Just becoming too much money. I want a car I have to pay monthly payments on with a nice warranty and no bullshit. Next time I heavily modify a car I'll buy a beater instead of a DD.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

kylej posted:

Spun a bearing at the track today. Pretty catastrophic. Put a deposit down on a new STi and am going to either part it out or sell the 04 as a mostly complete shell. Just becoming too much money. I want a car I have to pay monthly payments on with a nice warranty and no bullshit. Next time I heavily modify a car I'll buy a beater instead of a DD.

Sounds like what I did. Luckily I had a spare daily parked in the yard. The best way I found to get it going again is a $3400 jdm sti engine. Doesn't help you drive to work though.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

MrZig posted:

Ahh ok. When do you think you'll be doing the 207 swap? Things I know I need are the stock intake (box and hoses), the entire exhaust, throttle cable, etc. But you probably need most of the things I need, because the guy I bought this from wouldn't give me his haha.

I bought a catless uppipe that you can buy, stock intake Ill need for now, throttle cable also need (whats different on the WRX vs the 2.5?). Exhaust Ill sell, once I pass aircare and find I don't need to cobble together anything. My 207 comes this week, hopefully. If I'm not a lazy bum Ill post pictures here and you can follow my progress.

My engine also has fairly new (20k km) timing belt and pump, I don't know how cheap you are going on your build.

e:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196559

I have a radiator,stock wrx fuel pump, you are on your own for the wiring harness though. Not sure if you can re-flash the ecu. Maybe.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kylej posted:

You may actually make more money putting in a junkyard EJ257 and selling.

Also, it is a bad idea to track a car you're making payments on.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Also, it is a bad idea to track a car you're making payments on.

Especially if you don't pay for track day insurance.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
... I don't owe payments on my 04 and I will not be tracking the new STi.

nm posted:

Possibly. What I'm thinking of doing is stripping all the aftermarket parts off the car, selling them since they're all in great shape, then throwing in some junkyward stock parts and just using the old WRX as a winter beater, and also install a hitch on it so I can bring the bike to track days. Honestly just sick of dealing with it at this point though.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

kylej posted:

... I don't owe payments on my 04 and I will not be tracking the new STi.

Possibly. What I'm thinking of doing is stripping all the aftermarket parts off the car, selling them since they're all in great shape, then throwing in some junkyward stock parts and just using the old WRX as a winter beater, and also install a hitch on it so I can bring the bike to track days. Honestly just sick of dealing with it at this point though.

Would one of those better baffled oil sumps have prevented this? I'm assuming it threw the rod during a long high G turn.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amandyke posted:

Would one of those better baffled oil sumps have prevented this? I'm assuming it threw the rod during a long high G turn.

Maybe. There were a bunch of 2.0l Subies running yesterday, some bone stock who had no issues. I think it was a combination of age, stress from the tune I have, stress from the track - which is very, very technical and demanding - and undoubtedly sloppy driving on my part. Its been knocking gently for a long while now so who knows how the motor had been feeling. Just makes me sad because I have a lot of memories with this car.

On the bright side, I caught up to and was keeping pace with a GT-R in front of me when the car threw a CEL. Proud of the old rusty girl, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

kylej fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 2, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kylej posted:

Proud of the old rusty girl, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

It's only dead if you let it die.

Slam another motor or shortblock in and get back out there :colbert:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

It's only dead if you let it die.

Slam another motor or shortblock in and get back out there :colbert:

This. The only way I'm ditching my track car is frame damage. I've already spun the bearing and replaced with a new short block.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to keep it, y'all! Subaru parts in New Hampshire might as well be gold ingots.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

kylej posted:

I'm trying to keep it, y'all! Subaru parts in New Hampshire might as well be gold ingots.

Here you go, $1,599

http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=10828

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Problem with that is you need new oil pan/cooler and maybe new heads depending on how long you ran the engine after the bearing spun. Since you have to take the heads apart to see if the cam bearings are junk anyways, then you want to rebuild the heads with a valve job etc.
Which is about 5k.

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
Thinking I might pop for a 2006 Baja with 80k miles.

The one thing that's stopping me is the headgasket issues from some of the mid 90's Subarus. Especially after test driving some pretty shady looking legacy wagons back in the day, and also seeing a friend blow the gasket after a month of ownership on a forester, all I can think about when i see "Subaru" is "headgaskets."

Should I be concerned about headgaskets or am I just being stupid?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Thirsty Thursday posted:

I am just being stupid.

Fixed that for you

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 3, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I wish there were reasonably priced Bajas around us. We probably would have gone with one instead of the Forester, but similar mileage/year/condition models were going for 2-3x as much as we got the Forester for. A yellow Baja with gray trim is probably the coolest mid-00s car.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
What kind of maintenance would you guys suggest for a 2011 Impreza Premium Hatchback. The dealer made it sound like I had to follow the maintenance book by the letter and if not, the car would probably explode at 60,001 miles, just outside of warranty.

This is my first Subaru to own, and we bought it new. We've had it since May of '11, and it has just under 16K miles, almost entirely highway.

We haven't done much to it yet, save for changing the oil to synthetic at around 5K miles.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kylej posted:

Where in New Hampshire? Let me know if you part this thing out, I might be interested in a few things. edited at gmail, I unfortunately don't have PMs.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

edit: Well gently caress me I somehow read 2011 as 2012. Your car probably follows a very similar schedule to mine but double check the manual before just doing poo poo that I posted. Either way: FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Chaitai posted:

What kind of maintenance would you guys suggest for a 2011 Impreza Premium Hatchback. The dealer made it sound like I had to follow the maintenance book by the letter and if not, the car would probably explode at 60,001 miles, just outside of warranty.

This is my first Subaru to own, and we bought it new. We've had it since May of '11, and it has just under 16K miles, almost entirely highway.

We haven't done much to it yet, save for changing the oil to synthetic at around 5K miles.

:doh:

Yes you should follow the maintenance book/owner's manual to the letter. Failure to do so could void some or all of the warranty in addition to making your brand new car fail at a faster rate.

The car comes with synthetic from the factory. The oil should be changed every 7.5K miles so you should have changed oil again at 12.5K.

MySubaru.com posted:

7,500 miles

Replace engine oil
Replace engine oil filter
Perform rotate and inspect tires

MySubaru.com posted:

15,000 miles

Replace engine oil
Replace engine oil filter
Inspect disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect clutch operation
Inspect steering and suspension
Perform rotate and inspect tires
My manual is in my car (2012 Impreza 2.0i Base Model Hatch) but this should be the correct items that your car needs to have done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Welp, one of the WRX's had a failure to progress, utterly no idea why. It just stopped and refused to restart. Off on a flatbed to a mechanic cause I aint got time to deal with this poo poo.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I need some help, I can't quite remember if the 2005 Legact GT Automatic has iluminated sportshift lights when you turn on the headlights like this, I have a vague memory, because mine do not, I took the car to get it checked and the guy said that they do not, I can't seem to find a picture of the steering wheel w/o the radio controls to confirm, anyone can help?

If they are, any idea how to fix them?

Mine don't have the audio controls, just the SportShift gear changers.

Any ideas?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cat Terrist posted:

Welp, one of the WRX's had a failure to progress, utterly no idea why. It just stopped and refused to restart. Off on a flatbed to a mechanic cause I aint got time to deal with this poo poo.

$1,198 dollars later.....

Turns out one of the two main loom plugs behind the battery decided to combust. Yay.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

mulligan posted:

I need some help, I can't quite remember if the 2005 Legact GT Automatic has iluminated sportshift lights when you turn on the headlights like this, I have a vague memory, because mine do not, I took the car to get it checked and the guy said that they do not, I can't seem to find a picture of the steering wheel w/o the radio controls to confirm, anyone can help?

If they are, any idea how to fix them?

Mine don't have the audio controls, just the SportShift gear changers.

Any ideas?

I wish I could be more help, but in my LGT 5spd there aren't any steering wheel controls. Maybe the backlight is part of the audio controls part, and just having the sportshift buttons doesn't include backlights?

In completely unrelated news, every day my inexplicable love for the BRAT grows stronger. This model just stoked the flames even more. I want a Brat, I want it in brown, and I want it now.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
Agh, sweet jesus. I was contacted last night via PM with some images from FAT's facebook page of a car with the most incredible-looking sludge on the intake ports of the head you've ever seen in your life.

Cue my increasing horror as I read about it: stock motor internals, run on E85, with 60k miles...

Yes, it turns out the freakshow is my car...

We're currently unsure of what happened, and the motor is being torn down, but the ENTIRE intake runner is now coated in a disgusting mix of congealed fuel and oil. While FAT originally wrote it off to using E85 over the life of the car, I informed them that I had only been running E85 for 15k miles, and had spent 1600 of my last 2900 oil change interval miles on 93 while moving cross-country.

So now, we have no idea what could be causing this, but hopefully the motor teardown will reveal what flaw could have caused it all - the headgasket failure, the turbo failure, and this. I found an 8000 mile oil change sample I forgot to send to Blackstone, so hopefully that information will be helpful as well to really pin down when things went horribly wrong.

The gory details:

http://instagram.com/p/QVjkKFAH2M/

On the plus side, I just got my dream job, developing novel fuels and automotive components at a local startup that just took over the catalytic converter materials industry (literally, we've been working with converter monoliths out of every model of VWAG and GM vehicle and beating their efficiency for a fraction of the price using nanomaterials).

I'm going to be responsible for testing nanomaterials for performance applications (everything from fuels to coatings to lubrication and components), so I get to test all sorts of crazy poo poo in real OEM-style automotive test cells (multiple in-cylinder pressure sensors! Multiple in cylinder thermocouples and header temperature sensors. Brings shame on my current personal setup...). I'll be starting a new thread soon to sample what the community really wants - or to see how best to figure out what they want...

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 4, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What the gently caress? I'm really curious what broke in the engine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just saw a dual avcs longblock get posted on "Adam's junk corner," which is basically a bunch of spare parts sitting around at LIC for 2750.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What the gently caress? I'm really curious what broke in the engine.

My guess is E85. It reminds me of horrible sludge that I see from the ethanol gas when I leave it in the mower for a year.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

daslog posted:

My guess is E85. It reminds me of horrible sludge that I see from the ethanol gas when I leave it in the mower for a year.

We think it's primarily blowby and oil from the turbo failure mixed with some really crap E85 (lots of water in it straight from the pump...it's Arizona, next to no humidity, so it shouldn't be really getting sucked in from the atmosphere). The weird thing is that I wasn't losing oil, and I had recently pulled off the intercooler (3 months back) and saw zero oil in the mouth of the turbo outlet and throttle inlet.

I ran about 4 cans of injector cleaner through in the last few thousand miles (I noticed my fueling was getting kinda wacky and was writing it off to some injector clogging due to E85), so it's pretty amazing that there was still so much buildup. I think there must be something else wacky going on, but we'll see. I'm not sure if cylinder 1 and 3 being down on pressure is due to a ringland or the headgasket (FAT hasn't said anything yet), but we'll hopefully know more soon. Amazingly, my car's power output was almost completely fine as of 1 day before the turbo failure, and I had no knock or misfire events from those cylinders in my datalogs.

EDIT: New update! The block came apart and all the internals are in excellent shape - they were really impressed by how nice it looked in fact (makes the situation with the dealer claiming it was poorly maintained even more suspicious). The junk in there is, we now think, due to oil from the failed turbo spraying as vapor into the intake and mixing with water-rich E85. The junk on there apparently burned off very easily, so no need for a new block or head - the tuner at FAT feels that the motor is quite strong (no cracked pistons! Low compression was due to the HG, as I suspected), so we're going ahead with both a 91 and E85 tune and getting it going as soon as the head is put back on. New clutch (Exedy stage 1 organic, heavy duty) and engine/trans mounts (Cusco! NVH doesn't bother me at all, and I'm looking forward to the race car feeling and sound) are going on while the block is out, since it's dirt cheap to do so right now - makes the labor to pull the motor a little less painful, since the OEM clutch was toast anyways.

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I have never heard of something like that from E85. Usually what you would get is some black gunk built up on the injector tips.

Sludge like that isn't uncommon in Subarus. A lot of people were finding it in their catch can/aos, it is basically just a mix of oil and water. I can't say I have ever seen something like this before, but e85, which contains more water than gasoline, combined with excess blowby (possibly from a cracked ringland), could result in more of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the gold wheels are on the car on the right?