Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Check out Wyse PocketCloud. There's a free version in the Android Marketplace, and you just have to download and set up a program on your computer which is fairly straight-forward. After that, you simply use your Google credentials to sign in, and there's your computer. Warning: it doesn't always work well for me on my phone. My tablet seems to be more cooperative, however.

Thanks but it sounds like the PC-software side only makes it easy for remote desktop with an Android device. I also want to remote desktop into my home PC via my Windows 7 laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Revol posted:

This can happen when the keyboard isn't plugged in. It can happen when the keyboard was never plugged in for the entire time the tablet was plugged in.

But I understand. I work tech support help line; I know you have to do the low tech checks.

Repeatedly pressing the suspect keys does nothing to alleviate it.

Your idea on the emulator is interesting. And not only the emulator, but I also use a front-end for loading the ROMs, Gameex. But... when this happened to me last night, I had never run Gameex. I did try ePSXe, maybe ZSNES.

But that can only be a potential answer for the stuck ctrl/alt/shift/win keys. The addition of 'OemE9' that occurs to all keypresses (from both keyboard and remote) can occur without any emulator in the mix.

What I mean by this, is in Eventghost pressing P will be reported as an event of Keypress-P one minute, and the next it will be Keypress-P+OemE9. One today it even went back to Keypress-P.

This makes no effect on regular operation, but it ruins the way Eventghost works, since it's waiting for Keypress-P but only ever sees Keypress-P+OemE9 at a given moment.

I dont know anything about the remote you have, does it have different pressure sensitivities or something, e.g. I think the Apple TV remote can send one command on a single press and another completely different one on a long press?

When your remote is getting OemE9 etc added on, does the keyboard dock also muck up in the same way? Or just the remote presses?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

MeKeV posted:

I dont know anything about the remote you have, does it have different pressure sensitivities or something, e.g. I think the Apple TV remote can send one command on a single press and another completely different one on a long press?

When your remote is getting OemE9 etc added on, does the keyboard dock also muck up in the same way? Or just the remote presses?

No, not pressure sensitive. Yes, the keyboard will have the same OemE9 on everything. I assume you'd see the same on mouse events, since the mouse is affected when the key modifiers are always active too.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there a place I can get IE8 for Windows7 still or has Microsoft stamped it off the internet?

I am setting up a new PC and IE9 isn't certified with a bunch of our web apps. However, all the advice on the internet seems to be "just remove the IE9 feature from control panel and revert to IE8!"

Well, this machine never had IE8 on it.

I suppose I could make the user run Firefox for a while, or I could just re-slam the whole machine with an older Win7 build, but it would be easier to just put IE8 on for a while. The office IE8 downloads page only has versions of XP and Vista.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a place I can get IE8 for Windows7 still or has Microsoft stamped it off the internet?

I am setting up a new PC and IE9 isn't certified with a bunch of our web apps. However, all the advice on the internet seems to be "just remove the IE9 feature from control panel and revert to IE8!"

Well, this machine never had IE8 on it.

I suppose I could make the user run Firefox for a while, or I could just re-slam the whole machine with an older Win7 build, but it would be easier to just put IE8 on for a while. The office IE8 downloads page only has versions of XP and Vista.

IE8 comes with Windows 7. That's why there's no way to separately download it/install it. Any no-service pack or SP1 Windows 7 fresh install will have IE8 besides that one weird version for Europe that has no IE executable in it.

I'm guessing you got an OEM install of 7 on there and the OEM decided to slipstream IE9 in though, so you're probably out of luck to get IE8 without installing from a stock disc.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

fishmech posted:

I'm guessing you got an OEM install of 7 on there and the OEM decided to slipstream IE9 in though, so you're probably out of luck to get IE8 without installing from a stock disc.

Yeah that's it exactly. Oh well, the user will just have to deal with FF with this one app till they can iron out the IE9 issues.

Thanks.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks but it sounds like the PC-software side only makes it easy for remote desktop with an Android device. I also want to remote desktop into my home PC via my Windows 7 laptop.

We use teamviewer at work for some of our remote desktop work. It's dead simple to use, free for non-commercial use, and there's an android & iphone app.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah that's it exactly. Oh well, the user will just have to deal with FF with this one app till they can iron out the IE9 issues.

Thanks.

Have you tried the compatability button in IE9 (the little broken page icon in the address bar)?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

c0burn posted:

Have you tried the compatability button in IE9 (the little broken page icon in the address bar)?

Still barfs, and this is going to sound horrible, but the apps aren't my problem and I'm not about to get into trying to figure out why they break in IE9.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
How do I stop shift from swapping the function of my numpad keys? I have numlock on and the keys normally work fine, but if I hold shift, then the keys revert to their un-numlocked functions.

Windows 7 if it matters. I know it's not a function of the keyboard, because it never did this to me in Mac OS.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Revol posted:

No, not pressure sensitive. Yes, the keyboard will have the same OemE9 on everything. I assume you'd see the same on mouse events, since the mouse is affected when the key modifiers are always active too.

Out of curiosity, neither your keyboard nor your mouse has a macro function, right? Because if it's always the same keypress ("Oem9"), my first thought would be that some kind of macro had been recorded and was being played back.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone know of some software that can turn my keyboard into a 1-handed qwerty? like http://half-qwerty.com/ there are some auto hotkey scripts i found but they require a mouse with 4/5 buttons which I don't have at work. thanks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

c0burn posted:

Er actually it does work. Huh. T3 support says it doesn't. I guess that's what I get for listening to them. v:shobon:v

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A weird thing happened to me this morning- last night my computer installed some Windows updates while I was shutting it down, and this morning I boot 'er up and it loads a "temporary profile", where everything basically looked the same as the day I first bought it. Naturally I flipped a poo poo (especially because I back it up once a month, with the next one being...tomorrow) and shut it down again, and when I booted it back up everything was as it was. Naturally I'm glad I didn't have to restore everything, but what did I just witness?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

C-Euro posted:

A weird thing happened to me this morning- last night my computer installed some Windows updates while I was shutting it down, and this morning I boot 'er up and it loads a "temporary profile", where everything basically looked the same as the day I first bought it. Naturally I flipped a poo poo (especially because I back it up once a month, with the next one being...tomorrow) and shut it down again, and when I booted it back up everything was as it was. Naturally I'm glad I didn't have to restore everything, but what did I just witness?

It happens from time to time. Not sure what the cause is, but you've already experienced the fix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Galler posted:

We use teamviewer at work for some of our remote desktop work. It's dead simple to use, free for non-commercial use, and there's an android & iphone app.

Thanks a bunch. I figured there had to be an easier way than the completely ridiculous method I had to do a year or so ago.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Thoom posted:

How do I stop shift from swapping the function of my numpad keys? I have numlock on and the keys normally work fine, but if I hold shift, then the keys revert to their un-numlocked functions.

Selfquoting to post the solution I found. I ended up making an autohotkey script to remap the stupid useless keys to their proper equivalents.

code:
NumpadEnd::Send {Numpad1}
NumpadDown::Send {Numpad2}
NumpadPgDn::Send {Numpad3}
NumpadLeft::Send {Numpad4}
NumpadClear::Send {Numpad5}
NumpadRight::Send {Numpad6}
NumpadHome::Send {Numpad7}
NumpadUp::Send {Numpad8}
NumpadPgUp::Send {Numpad9}
NumpadIns::Send {Numpad0}

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Am I right in saying that Windows 7 OEM keys are valid regardless of whether you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
That's right. Everything that I've read says a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit license is a windows 7 64 bit license. Of course, you can only use the license on one set of hardware at a time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Instant Stalker posted:

That's right. Everything that I've read says a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit license is a windows 7 64 bit license. Of course, you can only use the license on one set of hardware at a time.

Thought so, cheers.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I plan to use one of those stand-alone hard-drives as a back up for photos and texts mostly. My questions are:

Is there free software that would read every single file, every bit basically, and verify it is still readable and the HD is working correctly? If this is even what people do and there isn't some better way to do that.

Would I be correct in that the smaller (2.5") HD's are more sturdy than the bigger ones as they are designed for use in a laptop?

Thank you very much.

\/ Didn't think of the Windows utility. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 3, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I plan to use one of those stand-alone hard-drives as a back up for photos and texts mostly. My questions are:

Is there free software that would read every single file, every bit basically, and verify it is still readable and the HD is working correctly? If this is even what people do and there isn't some better way to do that.

Would I be correct in that the smaller (2.5") HD's are more sturdy than the bigger ones as they are designed for use in a laptop?

Thank you very much.

You could run the windows disk check to make sure that there's no corruption.

I use syncback to copy across the files to be backed up. If there's a difference between the local and the external copy, it should flag it up. However, I guess the MS Backup software might be better as it has the ability to keep multiple copies of the same files.

The laptop drives has the big advantage that you can run them through the USB power and you don;t need to fanny about with a power brick and 2 cables, instead of 1.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Here's what I want to do: Have users on my domain have a shortcut to their Home folder under the Favorites section in the navigation pane in Explorer. C:\Users\username\links is the path that contains those shortcut .lnk files and that Windows references.

There is an old login script currently that copies a .lnk file from a server with the target path "\\server\path\homefolders\%username%" to the users' \links directory. Windows, however, doesn't like the %username% environment variable in there and spits out an error if you try to change it about the path being invalid. Someone at some point set this shortcut up, and we're currently seeing issues with this shortcut file pointing to a specific user directory. Is there a better way to do this? Is it possible to do this through GPO somehow? This method seems kind of crappy and outdated, but if anyone has any ideas that'd be awesome.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
This might be exactly the right thread, but does anyone have any experience with software that's used to monitor various health aspects of systems on a network and report back to a central server? I'm not talking about monitoring employee behavior, but just checking SMART statuses, security updates, disk space, and a number of other factors.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

-Dethstryk- posted:

This might be exactly the right thread, but does anyone have any experience with software that's used to monitor various health aspects of systems on a network and report back to a central server? I'm not talking about monitoring employee behavior, but just checking SMART statuses, security updates, disk space, and a number of other factors.

Nagios has a Windows based NSclient that can do that kind of reporting for you if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with the configuration.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

WAIK + PXE is :argh:

bcdedit kept generating bcd files that were either corrupt or too new for pxeboot (or bootmgr), ended up using the stock one from WAIK after a few hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it was requesting strange files from my tftp server (such as '6wim', somehow a corrupt entry for winpex86.wim).

Oh well, in the end I managed to install Windows 7 on a laptop with no DVD (I lacked any USB drives of sufficient space) with network booting.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Masked Pumpkin posted:

Nagios has a Windows based NSclient that can do that kind of reporting for you if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with the configuration.
Oh, thanks! This might be exactly what I need, because I certainly didn't want any bloated enterprise solutions.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Morganus_Starr posted:

Here's what I want to do: Have users on my domain have a shortcut to their Home folder under the Favorites section in the navigation pane in Explorer. C:\Users\username\links is the path that contains those shortcut .lnk files and that Windows references.

Using VBscript or PowerShell should be pretty easy to take that variable and create the link on the fly. Here's some assistance on making a link in vbscript : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244677

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm using an application that calls Mappoint is there anyway to get around each user having to accept the EULA before the application gets called? Otherwise every new user has to open mappoint and accept the EULA before Mappoint will work with any other app. Is there some sort of auto accept tool?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You should be able to use this method:
http://devarthur.blogspot.com/2010/01/silent-install-of-microsoft-mappoint.html

Something in the data.msi should have something about the EULA. Modify that so it auto accepts the EULA, then use that "admin" install point to install the clients.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It astounds me how many people hate UAC and turn it off. They all find it to "be a pain" and "I've had it off for ages and I don't have any viruses!"

I can't get over it :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It astounds me how many people hate UAC and turn it off. They all find it to "be a pain" and "I've had it off for ages and I don't have any viruses!"

For the record, he wanted to disable the Mappoint EULA prompt, not UAC.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sometimes I wish MS would gather stats on people's configurations just so I could see exactly how many people have UAC turned off, search turned off, aero turned off, and so on.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
My company has UAC turned off in the company image. At least they are smart enough to not have the user as admin accounts now though. Their reasoning is literally, "it's a pain to use".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
UAC is great, except Windows Explorer. Trying to modify things in Program Files or whatever works fine and it elevates properly, but trying to work on somebody else's profile, even if you're in the administrator group and administrator has access to the profile, it doesn't work. You have to disable UAC, or use something like Explorer++ run as admin.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

thegreatcodfish posted:

My company has UAC turned off in the company image. At least they are smart enough to not have the user as admin accounts now though. Their reasoning is literally, "it's a pain to use".

Same at my company. UAC is off but the users don't have admin rights.

UAC breaks some of our automated setup/install scripts (which could probably be fixed easily but we simply don't have time to even look at it) and would probably results in a shitload of extra trouble tickets (my computer's broken/it keeps erroring/some completely unrelated program that has nothing to do with this UAC prompt is broken I guess maybe fixitfixifixit!)

I leave it enabled on my personal computers and any I setup for anyone outside of work though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

For the record, he wanted to disable the Mappoint EULA prompt, not UAC.

No sorry I wasn't talking about a goon, but some people on another forum. They're just loving retarded.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What do I need to do to wipe all MS office 2007 settings and config out of a windows user profile to start from scratch?

I've got a weird windows-profile-specific outlook problem that outlook profile rebuild isn't curing.

Is it just a few directories in appdata, few registry sections in hkcu that I can easily do myself or is it a whole lot in the reg? there a util for this? Trying to avoid a whole userprofile rebuild.

edit: never mind I got it. deleted everything out of app data/ms/outlook, loc set/appdata/ms/outlook and renamed 2 or 3 "outlook" sections under hkcu/sw/ms/office/12.0, working now.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 7, 2011

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have to do a whole bunch of "find and replace" stuff on some text files (actually .tex files). Is there a text editor that will let me set up a whole bunch of find and replace rules and then execute them all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

I have to do a whole bunch of "find and replace" stuff on some text files (actually .tex files). Is there a text editor that will let me set up a whole bunch of find and replace rules and then execute them all at once?

Learn perl.

Serious answer: Notepad++ can do find and replace in all opened files.