Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Sockington posted:

Thought about JustinGuitar videos? I know he has a whole blues section for free and the written accompaniment on his website.

Thanks for this, I'll check it out!

Stravinsky posted:

Honestly if you have been playing for 15 years and your confident in knowing how to play a guitar just listen to a lot of blues and just try and cop it.

My problem is the styles are just so very, very different. Power chords, metal riffing, and alternate picking are so different than the the heavy bends, finger picking, and double stops of blues. I'd like to learn more than just pentatonics.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
start with metallica and work your way backwards to like eric claption and stuff

e: CLAPTION

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Schpyder posted:

I'm gonna make a kinda oddball suggestion, assuming you could find one: Fender Toronado.

Came to say this. I love my CV Tele but I seriously regret not buying one of these in the same store at $475. If your guy can expand his budget, there are a few on eBay right now for about $600~.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

muike posted:

start with metallica and work your way backwards to like eric claption and stuff

Iommi then Clapton. Start by learning NIB, then play Sunshine of Your Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu-yrLC---s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZqmF3zS04

On a different note, Is this Jaguar trem a direct drop in replacement for the one on the Squier Bass VI? The squier version is the Korean made one without the locking button.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

muike posted:

If that makes you feel any better, a guy I jammed with the other day asked me if I knew how to play Little Wing by Jimi ELVIS.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bread Dragon posted:

Came to say this. I love my CV Tele but I seriously regret not buying one of these in the same store at $475. If your guy can expand his budget, there are a few on eBay right now for about $600~.

So apparently short scale wasn't too big a deal. He went down and picked up a modern player jaguar today.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Good choice.

Now get him a Mastery Bridge.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Seriously I am not sure why but restringing my Strat is the biggest pain in the rear end. I went all out, got some lemon oil and cleaned up the fingerboard too. It is incredible how much brighter it looks again, I highly suggest it for anyone with a rosewood fingerboard. Now to contend with the push and pull of floating bridge tuning. :D

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
tape some quarters together to block off the trem

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

tape some quarters together to block off the trem

Yeah, if it was my daily driver I would have blocked it long ago. Once the strings kind of settle, I usually do not have any tuning issues.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Good choice.

Now get him a Mastery Bridge.

The MP Jag has a TOM style bridge so it's a nonissue

(nailed it)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm GAS'ing pretty bad over the Hagstrom Viking right at the moment. Especially the p90-version.

I can't really tell what's the big difference between these to: (Viking IIp Ultralux & Viking P).
Does any of you know how they compare tonally/playing-wise? I haven't been able to find a lot of details online.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I've decided I'm going to own a MotorAve BelAire.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pondex posted:

I'm GAS'ing pretty bad over the Hagstrom Viking right at the moment. Especially the p90-version.

I can't really tell what's the big difference between these to: (Viking IIp Ultralux & Viking P).
Does any of you know how they compare tonally/playing-wise? I haven't been able to find a lot of details online.

looks entirely aesthetic unless the pickups are different.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Looks like a very nice guitar but drat that's expensive

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Pondex posted:

IIP Ultralux is bolt on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Turkey Farts posted:

Is the G12T-75 new to you? Out of curiousity, what factors drew you to it? I ask because I used to run a pair in a 2x12 and they sounded a little shrill. Perhaps the Wizard will compliment it and smooth things out.

Yeah, that G12T is all sorts of bright. The Wizard tames it a bit, but I could see throwing in an Eminence Governor (or other V30 variants like WGS stuff) to compliment the Wizard better down the line.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Wow I've been playing around with some alternative tunings on the Telecaster and sending it through my POD X3 to add some shimmer and overdrive (and a tad of modulation for good measure) and I'm really impressed with the sounds I'm getting out of this thing!

With thinking about re-soldering one of the poorly installed pickups that came with the guitar I've started to do some research into modding the electronics. I like the lower end tone of the 250k pots so I'm going to avoid going for the brighter sound of the 500k, but I still think it's going to be worth putting some higher quality CTS pots in. I'm also interested in adding a 4-way switch to get the parallel bridge/neck pickup tones. I've seen a 5-way Telecaster switch mod mentioned as well but I don't know if there's much of an advantage there over the 4-way.

As for the sound I'm after, I am going to be playing a lot of post-rock/shoegaze/ambient type stuff and am looking for advice on what pickups I might want to look into. The single-coil humbuckers I'm finding seem really nice but I'm not sure if a humbucker sound is what I'm after (plus changing the pots to 500k would be a good move with humbuckers, but again, not as into that brighter sound).

I've got enough on the effects side of things to get decent dreamy reverbs and hard driving distortions, the hardware inside the guitar is what I'm looking for advice on.

EDIT: One of the guitarists in Mogwai routed a 3rd single coil pickup in the middle of the body and added a kill switch to toggle it on/off. Anyone have experience with this kind of modification?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2014

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

Doesn't Josh Homme use those? Neat.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

As for the sound I'm after, I am going to be playing a lot of post-rock/shoegaze/ambient type stuff and am looking for advice on what pickups I might want to look into.

I've got enough on the effects side of things to get decent dreamy reverbs and hard driving distortions, the hardware inside the guitar is what I'm looking for advice on.
Look above at my description of my modded Strat. I'd probably go with a pair of the LS Purple if I was going solely shoegaze/post-rock tho. As it is, when I'm doing my own thing which sounds quite a bit like what you said, I pretty much live on the neck (Purple) with a bit of the bridge (Red) rolled in via the blend pot.

LS are $59.99 with free shipping by buying directly from Lace Music, incidentally.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've had some questions in my head lately about how harmonics shift when downtuning. Can anyone touch on the topic? If that's not clear enough my main question is how your overall guitar tone is altered via lower tunings aside from the obvious shifting of note positions. I'm not sure about the exact question I'm asking but I've been thinking about it too much lately.

TopherCStone posted:

Doesn't Josh Homme use those? Neat.

Yup, he sure does. Of course I'm pretty far off from being able to afford one but you know, white whale/the endless obsession. I can't remember ever discovering a more desirable guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so my speaker patch cable is not quite long enough to connect to my new cab, is this: http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Spe...s=speaker+cable a good one to get?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

so my speaker patch cable is not quite long enough to connect to my new cab, is this: http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Spe...s=speaker+cable a good one to get?

It looks fine but I've been burned so many times by cables with the metal jackets that I feel weird even signing off on a recommendation.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I can't find any planet waves ones short enough!!

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...t+waves+speaker well i guess 2 extra feet wouldn't hurt

muike fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 9, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've had some questions in my head lately about how harmonics shift when downtuning. Can anyone touch on the topic? If that's not clear enough my main question is how your overall guitar tone is altered via lower tunings aside from the obvious shifting of note positions. I'm not sure about the exact question I'm asking but I've been thinking about it too much lately.

I'm definitely not a physics person (and that might be the place to ask really, maybe over in the sciencey forums), but I think the lower tension generally lowers the amplitude of the upper harmonics, so you get a gradual rolloff. Not sure if that affects odd and even overtones differently. A standard gauge string tuned down is going to sound a lot duller than a higher gauge one that has more 'normal' tension at the same tuning. You still get the same fundamental, just less edge and character

Actually there's some interesting stuff here, in the Overtones section:
http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~gibson/Notes/Section4_2/Sec4_2.htm
Basically about how piano strings are so stiff that the overtones become sharp, and have to be compensated for with the overall tuning. That's why the piano tuners make the big bucks! (in popular belief anyway) I'm not sure that you'd actually see any difference going from normal guitar string tension to any usable tuning, in that respect.

You might find this interesting too - it's not about downtuning, but it's about comparing the spectra you get from different scale lengths
http://www.novaxguitars.com/info/technical.html

There's probably some stuff about the signal path too - as you shift the fundamental down (and all the associated harmonics with it), those peaks will be in different frequency ranges, so your pickups and whatnot and the amplification stages might all react slightly differently to the change in 'voice' if you like

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I can't find any planet waves ones short enough!!

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...t+waves+speaker well i guess 2 extra feet wouldn't hurt

Yeah those look good. I've always been a proponent of "I'd rather have cables too long than too short" because you never know.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it was really cool when i finally got this big rear end cab upstairs and realized my patch cable was too short

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

it was really cool when i finally got this big rear end cab upstairs and realized my patch cable was too short

My drummer friend would make fun of me for always having really long cables but then one day we figured out I could put an extension cab next to his kit as a ghetto monitor thanks to my idiot 16" speaker cable and he never said anything about them again.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i guess that mensa membership comes in handy sometimes

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

I could put an extension cab next to his kit as a ghetto monitor thanks to my idiot 16" speaker cable

what, were you standing right next to him?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just wait until the guys hear about this one *nudges people on either side in white coats and wiggles eyebrows like a marx brother*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

what, were you standing right next to him?

That means feet right? Whatever gently caress it, feet. You know? That thing that's like a third of a metre? Yeah, that thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's determined by matching it to the inverse amount of Es in inches or feet, it's really obvious and imperial is a good system

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i think the problem may have been that there was a stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Spanish Manlove posted:

That means feet right? Whatever gently caress it, feet. You know? That thing that's like a third of a metre? Yeah, that thing.

" means inches, ' means feet.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm having some issues with my Ibanez Artcore...or the strings on it. Or something.

It was time for a string change, so I grabbed a pack of the strings I wanted to try (D'Addario XL Chromes) and when putting the low E string on the string literally came unwound and so the set was useless so I grab a set of D'Addario 9s I have sitting around and the high E string ball came off on the tailpiece (as far as I can tell it literally unwound itself from the string)

Did I just get two bum sets or am I doing something actually wrong (I've not had any trouble with this since I got it back in February)? I'm going to a shop for strings tomorrow and would like either advice on a brand of flatwound 11s to get that aren't D'Addario or to be told I'm an idiot and am doing something wrong.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 9, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it unwinding from the same place? Is the wrap getting sliced by something?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

baka kaba posted:

Is it unwinding from the same place? Is the wrap getting sliced by something?
No, one was at the tuner, the other was an unwound string at the tailpiece. The winding on that was just around the ball end. Low E at the tuner, high E at the tailipece.

It's possible that there's some sharp places and the last idiot who did a setup didn't catch it because he was a dumbass.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT this means I have to do intonation on the fucker. gently caress. The tape I use to mark the bridge got pushed around when the string snapped.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 9, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

baka kaba posted:

I'm definitely not a physics person (and that might be the place to ask really, maybe over in the sciencey forums), but I think the lower tension generally lowers the amplitude of the upper harmonics, so you get a gradual rolloff. Not sure if that affects odd and even overtones differently. A standard gauge string tuned down is going to sound a lot duller than a higher gauge one that has more 'normal' tension at the same tuning. You still get the same fundamental, just less edge and character

Actually there's some interesting stuff here, in the Overtones section:
http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~gibson/Notes/Section4_2/Sec4_2.htm
Basically about how piano strings are so stiff that the overtones become sharp, and have to be compensated for with the overall tuning. That's why the piano tuners make the big bucks! (in popular belief anyway) I'm not sure that you'd actually see any difference going from normal guitar string tension to any usable tuning, in that respect.

You might find this interesting too - it's not about downtuning, but it's about comparing the spectra you get from different scale lengths
http://www.novaxguitars.com/info/technical.html

There's probably some stuff about the signal path too - as you shift the fundamental down (and all the associated harmonics with it), those peaks will be in different frequency ranges, so your pickups and whatnot and the amplification stages might all react slightly differently to the change in 'voice' if you like

Thanks dude that's exactly what I needed to help steer me in the right direction. I've been spending a lot of time learning about scale lengths, string tension, resonance, and related factors. It's funny how it all makes a big difference in the sound and feel of a guitar but not in the way many people convince themselves. Nothing wrong with spending far too much time digging into spergy music bs in the name of knowledge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm having some issues with my Ibanez Artcore...or the strings on it. Or something.

It was time for a string change, so I grabbed a pack of the strings I wanted to try (D'Addario XL Chromes) and when putting the low E string on the string literally came unwound and so the set was useless so I grab a set of D'Addario 9s I have sitting around and the high E string ball came off on the tailpiece (as far as I can tell it literally unwound itself from the string)

Did I just get two bum sets or am I doing something actually wrong (I've not had any trouble with this since I got it back in February)? I'm going to a shop for strings tomorrow and would like either advice on a brand of flatwound 11s to get that aren't D'Addario or to be told I'm an idiot and am doing something wrong.

I had a set of brand new D'Addario 9s do that a few weeks ago, the string ball popped right off of the high-E. My solution is to never buy D'Addario strings again and I recommend you do the same.