Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, seriously... what's the whole deal with this Brad Pitt can't read thing? Is it just some weird common thread that's theorized, from clips throughout all of his roles?

It was posted in this thread years ago and became a thread joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know if it counts as subtle, but it's a nice visual thing - at the end of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie, when the main character is confronting Sarah Bellows, Sarah starts off a faceless entity, completely in shadow except for her hair and dress. However, as the main character demonstrates that she does understand her and is going to tell the truth about her story, her face gradually becomes more visible, giving you the first look at who this sad girl really was under the spooky poo poo. I liked that effect, that fear of her was initially a fear of the unknown, but the unknown part is stripped away as the main character has finally humanised her after centuries of her being demonised.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ok, seriously... what's the whole deal with this Brad Pitt can't read thing? Is it just some weird common thread that's theorized, from clips throughout all of his roles?

Here's where it starts back on page 117 of this thread:

MariusLecter posted:

In Se7en, Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

Smiling Jack posted:

No he isn't. There are several scenes I can think of off the top of my head where he reads things.

MariusLecter posted:

He can't read the literature Somerset refers to about the seven deadly sins and he couldn't read the paperwork when buying the apartment that said it was by the tracks.

Jerusalem posted:

He "can't" read it because he finds it incredible dense/boring/impenetrable and doesn't have the patience to work his way through it like Somerset does. He's a reckless guy who rushes into things, as is demonstrated many times in the movie such as the scene where he kicks the door in despite Somerset's warnings and then they have to pay a homeless person to lie about informing them to come in because she saw the killer.

Sand Monster posted:

And he later gets a "Cliff's Notes" version of the reading material to better understand it. He has no problem reading that.

It gets turned into a joke on page 118 and it's been going ever since. :v:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

[Brad Pitt, looking at this thread]:

What the gently caress?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Flint_Paper posted:

[Brad Pitt, looking at this thread]:

What the gently caress?

"What the hell are these hieroglyphics?"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought one of his characters he played was actually illiterate too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know if it counts as subtle, but it's a nice visual thing - at the end of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie, when the main character is confronting Sarah Bellows, Sarah starts off a faceless entity, completely in shadow except for her hair and dress. However, as the main character demonstrates that she does understand her and is going to tell the truth about her story, her face gradually becomes more visible, giving you the first look at who this sad girl really was under the spooky poo poo. I liked that effect, that fear of her was initially a fear of the unknown, but the unknown part is stripped away as the main character has finally humanised her after centuries of her being demonised.

I think this scenario played out better in ParaNorman, if only because the visuals for the scene were insane.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think this scenario played out better in ParaNorman, if only because the visuals for the scene were insane.

Well, that, and any scene with Clint Mansell's 'Death is the Road to Awe' as its soundtrack is gonna be better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, Yeah, Paranorman is unbeatable, but I can appreciate what Scary Stories is trying to do as well.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's where it starts back on page 117 of this thread:

It gets turned into a joke on page 118 and it's been going ever since. :v:

Gotta be more to it then that, I've seen it referenced in many different places besides here on SA.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Gotta be more to it then that, I've seen it referenced in many different places besides here on SA.

Goons get so full of themselves. It's been one of those open secrets in Hollywood for years, like Conan and Weinstein.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jojoinnit posted:

Goons get so full of themselves. It's been one of those open secrets in Hollywood for years, like Conan and Weinstein.

....what's wrong with Conan? Is he a massive creep too?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's blind. He fakes it so well that almost nobody knew up until a few years ago.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nostradingus posted:

He's blind. He fakes it so well that almost nobody knew up until a few years ago.

Yeah the only time you can really catch it is when he challenges celebrities to video game matches.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Poe's law is killing me, cause part of me wants to believe this, and the other part wants to invent problems other celebrities have with sense, like Gordan Ramsey can't taste anything but he fakes it really well.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Read this thread from the beginning

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I thought it started with Burn After Reading, that movie where he has a top secret file that gets him killed. With the irony being that he could not have read it because it was illiterate. And he actually untaught himself to read for the role for authenticity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think he meant Letterman.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think he meant Letterman.

Conan is just a ginger, which he can't help anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I met Conan once and he was super nice.
If he turns out to be a creep, well, I haven't invested any of my life in his career so... that would still suck for the victims.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think Conan is a good guy and I’m basing that off the fact he seems like a good guy when I see him on tv

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I think Conan is a good guy and I’m basing that off the fact he seems like a good guy when I see him on tv

Lemme tell you about one of my favorite actors, growing up. Guy was going great, had his own show on netflix and everything...

edit: gently caress I MEAN MORE LIKE OLDSPACEYLESS

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You know what was fun and wholesome growing up? Picture Pages. And maybe some Fat Albert.

Nothing could ever tarnish those pure memories.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I kinda feel like Conan O'Brien literally can't have some horrible skeleton in his closet, just because if he did we'd know by now. He's a very big, very weird-looking man, it seems like the 'hey, is that Conan over there' response alone would reveal anything he's doing in secret.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's a thief and a plunderer and a hired thug, occasionally racist, often sexist, and he punched the gently caress out of a camel while he was drunk.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Conan got super drunk at an American Girl doll store and started shouting gibberish in a German accent.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phy posted:

He's a thief and a plunderer and a hired thug, occasionally racist, often sexist, and he punched the gently caress out of a camel while he was drunk.

Let's not mince words, Conan has killed. A lot.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Let's not mince words, Conan has killed. A lot.

http://iplayif.com/?story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ifarchive.org%2Fif-archive%2Fgames%2Fzcode%2FConanKillEverything.z5

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Not a movie, but eh. In the first episode of the Witcher, Geralt is fighting with Renfri and he grabs the blade part of a dagger to stop her from stabbing him. She pulls it back which slices his hand. Very briefly in the next shot he deflects the dagger again and you can see the blood get knocked off the blade.

That didn't need to be there because it's a half-second shot, but that gets some extra credit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

Not a movie, but eh. In the first episode of the Witcher, Geralt is fighting with Renfri and he grabs the blade part of a dagger to stop her from stabbing him. She pulls it back which slices his hand. Very briefly in the next shot he deflects the dagger again and you can see the blood get knocked off the blade.

That didn't need to be there because it's a half-second shot, but that gets some extra credit.

What action there was in The Witcher was actually very good, but I wanted more of it. I guess as someone who played the games but hasn't read the books, the combat is one of the main things I wanted to see represented, and when they do it it's pretty great, there's just not enough of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There isn't a lot of fighting in the first two Witcher books. There are some brutal fights coming for the next season unless they change things.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Winds howling

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Decrepus posted:

Winds howling

I like that the subtitles, unintentionally or not, put that phrase into the show during the Pavetta banquet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In episode six, there's a mirror fight between a guy and a monster who looks like him. One of them fights with a knife, and the other fights with a fork.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The fights are all over choreographed, but still manage to be better than nearly every other fantasy movie (looking at you Star Wars).

I fully support this recent trend in shows beating the living poo poo out of the heroes. I went into the Witcher with pretty low expectations in part because Henry Cavill looked so stupid in his perfectly groomed white hair, but then he spends most of the show looking like he just crawled out of a ditch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cavill was apparently seriously into the combat aspect of the show. They rehearsed fight scenes a ton, but also made sure that there was a point to the moves. He's given some interviews on it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He was very serious about basically every aspect of the show, he's a huge nerd for the games. And it shows, a big star like him could bring a show down by phoning it in but he ended up being one of the main reasons to watch.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Basebf555 posted:

He was very serious about basically every aspect of the show, he's a huge nerd for the games. And it shows, a big star like him could bring a show down by phoning it in but he ended up being one of the main reasons to watch.

I wasn't even a fan of really any of his previous work. I thought he was kind of milquetoast in his other rolls, and I had previously described it as almost 'bland video game avatar' like in his performances. Of course I loved him in the Witcher.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cavill was apparently seriously into the combat aspect of the show. They rehearsed fight scenes a ton, but also made sure that there was a point to the moves. He's given some interviews on it.

Oh my god, this is what I hate the most (when this isnt' done, specifically). Like, you're going to whip around, and jump up, juuuuust as the attacker is swinging their sword down at your feet, lazily? I absolutely hate it when shows do that. No one would fight that way.

I'll give Princess Bride a pass, but beyond that, c'mon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh my god, this is what I hate the most (when this isnt' done, specifically). Like, you're going to whip around, and jump up, juuuuust as the attacker is swinging their sword down at your feet, lazily? I absolutely hate it when shows do that. No one would fight that way.

I'll give Princess Bride a pass, but beyond that, c'mon now.

Someone post that gif from Arrow where Roy does a weird flip off the wall for no reason whatsoever and the goon attacking him just watches him do it while his girlfriend looks on with an expression on her face like she was waiting in line at the DMV.