Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

JackBadass posted:

What's wrong with pop culture references? Aside from them being low hanging fruit, I mean.

~*IMMERSION*~ I assume? Or maybe they would prefer it to be a timeless experience that doesn't reference current trends or memes, I don't know. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JackBadass posted:

The gently caress are you going on about?

He was talking about Other M specifically.

I.E. the "thing" that killed the Metroid series.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

JackBadass posted:

What's wrong with pop culture references? Aside from them being low hanging fruit, I mean.

They date the game and are usually just references rather than a parody, like a character spouting a line.

But they can be done well if it's subtle, clever, or at the very least the game doesn't spend a lot of time pointing out and yelling at the reference just in case somebody was too busy huffing paint to notice it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Fallout 1 never had super-blatant pop culture references.

It had them too, but I never felt it had a ton of text and characters going along with it when I played it. Moreso just random, weird encounters, like what you posted there. Fallout 2 had more content, but that also meant the pop culture references went up to eleven and started being part of the quests. With Fallout it was a quick and random 'either you got it or you didn't'. With Fallout 2 it was "Oh hey! HEY HEY! This guy's Tyson and he keeps biting ears off! Funny right guise?!"

It's not that I mind the reference itself, but how it's presented. It's the difference between a joke told with brevity, and some wit, and a joke told by a tryhard.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 6, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

JackBadass posted:

There are some people that take their 1950's themed apocalyptic future simulator about immortal zombies and giant radioactive scorpions really, really seriously.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Theta Zero posted:

They date the game and are usually just references rather than a parody, like a character spouting a line.

But they can be done well if it's subtle, clever, or at the very least the game doesn't spend a lot of time pointing out and yelling at the reference just in case somebody was too busy huffing paint to notice it.

Most the Wild Wasteland pop culture references in New Vegas were so low key that I would get the noise signalling one was nearby and couldn't tell you what I was supposed to notice. Others I didn't even know were references until I looked them up. "Ooo-OOo-oooo--here are some eyebots from Venture Brothers! Just lying on the ground doing nothing! Do you like that reference?"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The best reference was Johnny 5 Aces. Nothing to let you know what it was unless you already knew what it was.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lotish posted:

Most the Wild Wasteland pop culture references in New Vegas were so low key that I would get the noise signalling one was nearby and couldn't tell you what I was supposed to notice. Others I didn't even know were references until I looked them up. "Ooo-OOo-oooo--here are some eyebots from Venture Brothers! Just lying on the ground doing nothing! Do you like that reference?"

Right. Which is why I find New Vegas finally handled them just right, especially by introducing the Wild Wasteland trait - terrific idea. Fallout 2, though, just brained you over the head with them and it came across as distinctly tryhard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Wild Wasteland was the worst waste of a trait. Shockingly underwhelming.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
They may have easily ran out of time to make all the content for it, true. Still a good idea, tho.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

Right. Which is why I find New Vegas finally handled them just right, especially by introducing the Wild Wasteland trait - terrific idea. Fallout 2, though, just brained you over the head with them and it came across as distinctly tryhard.

You could include most of those without the annoying doctor who sound effect and most people wouldn't notice them.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I hated how New Vegas handled the references. Yeah sure they were subtle, but they were also boring and so insignificant that i only ever got the johnny five aces one before looking them up.

Theres nothing wrong with a few blatant pop culture references.

And theres nothing wrong with Fallout being silly at times. Moira Brown comes to mind from Fallout 3. While not a pop culture thing her whole schtick is extremely goofy, and fun.

I may be biased cause my first fallout game was Brotherhood of Steel on Xbox, so my first exposure was the people chanting "his name was robert paulsen" near the opening of the game. But for chrissakes fallout 3 was a game where you can drink out of an irradiated toilet.

Have some fun in the wasteland.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I never played the XBOX game, so the Brotherhood of Steel game I know of is the tactical RPG. That had several pop culture references, including a gang whose leaders were all named after Dukes of Hazzard characters.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

Wild Wasteland was the worst waste of a trait. Shockingly underwhelming.

Except in Old World Blues.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

He was talking about Other M specifically.

I.E. the "thing" that killed the Metroid series.

Other M was the Ninja Gaiden guy, not Kojima.

Edit: Wait, I think I get it know. My bad.

Also, the Prime games should be the ones that people blame for the death of the Metroid series. I'm hard pressed to think of a game with shittier controls than any of the Wii Primes.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2015

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The prime games sold well and were highly praised

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

RentACop posted:

The prime games sold well and were highly praised

Doesn't mean they didn't play like hot garbage, and how much of that praise was from people wearing rose-tinted glasses just because the box said "METROID" on it?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

None of it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JackBadass posted:

Also, the Prime games should be the ones that people blame for the death of the Metroid series.

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall, with a caption that reads "A GIANT IDIOT"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Except in Old World Blues.

I love that dog house with the mini alpha male Deathclaw named Stripe.

Wild Wasteland was great. Rolling out of Goodsprings with a Indiana Jones hat that I got from a skeleton inside a fridge made me feel like I could take on the world. So much fun stuff in there. Can't help but love the sense of humor these games have.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Die Laughing posted:

I love that dog house with the mini alpha male Deathclaw named Stripe.

Wild Wasteland was great. Rolling out of Goodsprings with a Indiana Jones hat that I got from a skeleton inside a fridge made me feel like I could take on the world. So much fun stuff in there. Can't help but love the sense of humor these games have.

I really love the pop culture references in fallout 3 and NV where it's skeletons arranged in specific scenes and setups. Much more subtle, and super thematic. Having some character named after another character doing things like that character is eye roll inducing, but the former skeletal tableau is evocative without forcing anything on you. If no one understands that it's a reference to a terrible movie, then it just blends into the background. Skeleton in a fridge? Spooky! Oh hey a nice hat!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall, with a caption that reads "A GIANT IDIOT"

I've been telling you people.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Mordaedil posted:

I've been telling you people.

You are almost as bad as that poster.

e: fallout shelter update - women-only vault still succeeding despite mole rat incursions.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 6, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I want to frame a mirror and put it on my wall, with a caption that reads "A GIANT IDIOT"

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JackBadass posted:

Also, the Prime games should be the ones that people blame for the death of the Metroid series. I'm hard pressed to think of a game with shittier controls than any of the Wii Primes.

I think it might've been the Metroid game that tried to ape Metal Gear Solid.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

computer parts posted:

I think it might've been the Metroid game that tried to ape Metal Gear Solid.

I've heard the comparison before. Never played Other M myself, but it was something along the lines of Other M being very story heavy, and that story being very stupid, right?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

actually, the prime games on wii have some of the best fps controls in any video game. hth

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

actually, the prime games on wii have some of the best fps controls in any video game. hth

Good one.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JackBadass posted:

I've heard the comparison before. Never played Other M myself, but it was something along the lines of Other M being very story heavy, and that story being very stupid, right?

It turned Samus from a badass bounty hunter into a dipshit who cowers at the sight of Ridley (to the point of her suit malfunctioning) and needs to be told by a man that activating her Varia Suit in the lava zone is okay.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

It turned Samus from a badass bounty hunter into a dipshit who cowers at the sight of Ridley (to the point of her suit malfunctioning) and needs to be told by a man that activating her Varia Suit in the lava zone is okay.

Don't forget it also cut about 2 feet off of her height, so instead of being a 6 foot tower of gently caress she's now a tiny, waifish doll. The ridley thing was even more completely loving inane considering the place of the game in the series, she had faced and killed him at least twice already.

But no, yeah, Prime is totally what ruined the series :jerkbag:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Except for each and every FPS that an be controlled with a mouse.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You guys sure care alot about a character in a side scrolling platformer with about as much pre-prime published history as Killian Darkwater

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Samus is a rich character with a nuanced story of being able to move in a two dimensional space and and and...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Except for each and every FPS that an be controlled with a mouse.

Or a controller. Or motion controls. Or by chewing a bar of soap. Basically, any FPS ever.

steinrokkan posted:

Samus is a rich character with a nuanced story of being able to move in a two dimensional space and and and...

I wasn't aware anyone cared about the story of Metroid outside of joking and sarcasm. I didn't even realize it had a story.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JackBadass posted:

I wasn't aware anyone cared about the story of Metroid outside of joking and sarcasm. I didn't even realize it had a story.

People keep bringing up Samus as an example of a strong female character, so I suppose there must be more to her than being a sprite in a game without a story, but I haven't delved deep enough to uncover the deep mysteries of Samus the great character of world's literature.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

People keep bringing up Samus as an example of a strong female character, so I suppose there must be more to her than being a sprite in a game without a story, but I haven't delved deep enough to uncover the deep mysteries of Samus the great character of world's literature.

I always assumed they referred to her as a "strong female character" in the sense that she's not in a dress and she's the main character.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JackBadass posted:

I always assumed they referred to her as a "strong female character" in the sense that she's not in a dress and she's the main character.

She's in a bikini if you beat the gameboy game fast enough.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Jack Badass do you have cancer?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what are you guys even arguing about my eyes are glazing over almost every post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Jack Badass do you have cancer?