Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

No, they want to smugly claim victory in the Oppression Olympics.

Yeah exactly. Also it's p lovely to criticise people who left during the famine as "disavowing" their family.

teenytinymouse posted:

Hey now I've heard my actually-irish mum come out with that poo poo about black people and the Irish before so its not just the irish - Americans!!!

Also my mum is hella racist.

Pro Tip: Give her gin and Johnny Logan and she'll settle right down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

In my experience it's usually not the Irish making GBS threads those images out. It's usually white Americans (not even of Irish heritage) trying to downplay slavery, racism today, and totally ignoring the fact that they would have probably been racist against the Irish then, too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The irish were not really enslaved, anyway. Even those who were shipped over as prisoners were indentured servants, and so had to work off their debts and then were free(usually a debt for transport, whether voluntary or not).

Not saying there is a huge difference, but there IS a difference.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
And who can blame them?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Wait, isn't that macro image about how they don't care because some ideal manliness all Irish somehow possess?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

EmmyOk posted:

Pro Tip: Give her gin and Johnny Logan and she'll settle right down

Help I'm being oppressed

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RFC2324 posted:

The irish were not really enslaved, anyway. Even those who were shipped over as prisoners were indentured servants, and so had to work off their debts and then were free(usually a debt for transport, whether voluntary or not).

Not saying there is a huge difference, but there IS a difference.

As far as I know no indentured servants ever got mutilated to set an example to other servants so that's a pretty big difference.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ularg posted:

Woops something I said might be considered feminst, sound the alarms.

Ularg posted:

Okay this one is great:

As a followup of this, because it gets sad, then funny, then sad again. But this is why you never say something vaguely "feminist" on a youtube channel filled with people like this.

Yes he is wearing a fedora/trilby. I'm debating whether or not I should continue to poke the hornets nest, because the email notifications are getting pretty ridiculous in number.

Edit: Woops he didn't like me complementing his hat.

Ularg has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jun 13, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kit Walker posted:

As far as I know no indentured servants ever got mutilated to set an example to other servants so that's a pretty big difference.

Yep. They were not property, so still had whatever resembled human rights under British rule. They were still seen as actual PEOPLE, instead of objects the way slaves were.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't think any Irish people posting those pictures really give a poo poo about any oppression in the past. They're just racists who want to try and use their heritage (or fake heritage, since there's plenty of people who are 1/4 Irish or less who act stupidly patriotic whenever it can excuse their aggression and drinking) to discount the racism that black people experience today.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

They were still seen as actual PEOPLE, instead of objects the way slaves were.

Whoa whoa, let's not get carried away here.

There was a period of time when it sucked as much to be Irish as it did to be Black. Maybe not the same way, but it was pretty terrible regardless.

It just wasn't a very long period of time.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

This one making the rounds on Facebook. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what its trying to say but all's I see is "villionized"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yeet posted:

This one making the rounds on Facebook. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what its trying to say but all's I see is "villionized"

Ask him which one is the terrorist and which one isn't.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I guess it's talking about the Charleston church shooting.

quote:

On June 18, 2015, the day after the shooting, many flags, including those at the South Carolina State House, were flown at half-staff. The Confederate battle flag flying over the South Carolina Confederate Monument near the state house was not lowered, as South Carolina law prohibited alteration of the flag without the consent of two-thirds of the state legislature. Also, the flagpole lacked a pulley system, meaning the flag could not be flown at half-staff, only removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_church_shooting#Controversies

Oh, I think I get it now. They're mad that the whole confederate flag thing happened after the shooting then, but we aren't currently trying to wipe islam off the face of the planet after this one.

Just, why the gently caress does every tragedy has to be followed by meme and political argument bullshit before the wounded can even be stabilized in the hospital?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They could have at least used the Afghan flag instead of Pakistan's. Get your racism right you shitlords.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ularg posted:

I guess it's talking about the Charleston church shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_church_shooting#Controversies

Oh, I think I get it now. They're mad that the whole confederate flag thing happened after the shooting then, but we aren't currently trying to wipe islam off the face of the planet after this one.

Just, why the gently caress does every tragedy has to be followed by meme and political argument bullshit before the wounded can even be stabilized in the hospital?

Man, I can't believe I have to stop putting up ISIS flags in my yard, and take the ISIS flag decal off the top of my Camaro.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Ularg posted:

As a followup of this, because it gets sad, then funny, then sad again. But this is why you never say something vaguely "feminist" on a youtube channel filled with people like this.

Yes he is wearing a fedora/trilby. I'm debating whether or not I should continue to poke the hornets nest, because the email notifications are getting pretty ridiculous in number.

Edit: Woops he didn't like me complementing his hat.

I finally gave in, looked up the video and found the comment thread that you spawned. Every single commenter is absolutely the worst, it seems like none of these people are grasping the fact that when you insist including any female character in a game is "pandering" then you are really only asking for games to only have male important characters. Then they deny it, saying "no, not when it's forced like that." When you ask what the hell that means, they say "you can just tell when it's forced." Good stuff. There was even someone defending you that got shouted down by the echo chamber, and it's not like that person was even claiming to be a feminist, they were just noticing that a bunch of people were getting real mad that a woman existed in a video game.

Yeet posted:

"A purge of confederate history"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeet posted:

http://www.clickhole.com/article/6-convoluted-ways-thinking-about-orlando-shooting--4519

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How many state houses is the flag of Pakistan flying over in the US?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Yeet posted:

Racism is a religion, guys.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

trapped mouse posted:

I finally gave in, looked up the video and found the comment thread that you spawned. Every single commenter is absolutely the worst, it seems like none of these people are grasping the fact that when you insist including any female character in a game is "pandering" then you are really only asking for games to only have male important characters. Then they deny it, saying "no, not when it's forced like that." When you ask what the hell that means, they say "you can just tell when it's forced." Good stuff. There was even someone defending you that got shouted down by the echo chamber, and it's not like that person was even claiming to be a feminist, they were just noticing that a bunch of people were getting real mad that a woman existed in a video game.

"A purge of confederate history"

Thanks. I don't know why I bother commenting on youtube videos anymore. Gggmanlives is the youtuber and he's always been one of those that has to slip in "loving SJWs" or some such into anything related to a women. Every. Single. Game. he does a video on that has a woman he's either talking about SJWs or their breasts. So I just got fed up with it because he isn't half bad at his videos, but I now realize he's cultivated the MRA crowd as a following to defend him.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

trapped mouse posted:

"Congratulations Mr Fedora, it's a baby girl!"
"Pandering bitch!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Idiots on Social Media: I don't why I bother commenting on youtube videos anymore

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Does anyone have the original post from https://m.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/352fus/false_rape_nm/

Where the guy even only giving his own side of the story totally admitted to rape without even realising? I was trying to show someone an example of how rapists don't necessarily think they're raping someone but it seems to have been wiped off the Internet.

Edit: nvm - found it

Seabhac has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jun 13, 2016

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

I feel like there's probably a rule against this. And even if there isn't, why would you make this a public post? Somebody's gonna get fired.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ghost emoji posted:

I feel like there's probably a rule against this. And even if there isn't, why would you make this a public post? Somebody's gonna get fired.

There is. It's in Publication 431-D, "Instructions for a USPS Mail Carrier." It reads as follows:

"Don't gently caress with the mail you morons"

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

BJPaskoff posted:

It's kind of weird the only place I can see on this site where people are talking about the Orlando shooting sincerely is in the IoSM thread because the GBS thread is a bunch of people trying to out-snark each other about gun control and other topics they can be edgy on even if they're tangentially related to the shooting.

Agreed. It's one of the things I missed the most when GBS went down the shitter. While momentous things were going on--like the uprising in Egypt and the Boston Marathon bombing--I got up-to-the-minute information, as well a boots-on-the-ground updates from goons, in GBS threads. People could generally contain themselves and not poo poo-post at least within the first few hours to show a modicum of respect for the gravity of the situation, before cutting loose and trying to out-crap each other. That's something that's sorely missing these days.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My friend's relative (I'm guessing an uncle) just posted this on her timeline:

quote:

Sorry, I normally Like most females!!!I know She is a LIar and I feel like throwing up everytime I see Hillary's Wicked Face!!!! I will have a hard time watching Her for the next 8 years, if She becomes President.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

18 U.S.C. § 1703 (a):

quote:

Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, unlawfully secretes, destroys, detains, delays, or opens any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail entrusted to him or which shall come into his possession, and which was intended to be conveyed by mail, or carried or delivered by any carrier or other employee of the Postal Service, or forwarded through or delivered from any post office or station thereof established by authority of the Postmaster General or the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
It's a serious crime.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Graedyn posted:

Agreed. It's one of the things I missed the most when GBS went down the shitter. While momentous things were going on--like the uprising in Egypt and the Boston Marathon bombing--I got up-to-the-minute information, as well a boots-on-the-ground updates from goons, in GBS threads. People could generally contain themselves and not poo poo-post at least within the first few hours to show a modicum of respect for the gravity of the situation, before cutting loose and trying to out-crap each other. That's something that's sorely missing these days.

But it wasn't funny enough, apparently.

EDIT: VVV I love what the word filter did to that post, well done. VVV

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jun 13, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Look at this goon hating humor :smug:

cuck, cuck, I'm gay, friend of the family fag tranny

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Seabhac posted:

Does anyone have the original post from https://m.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/352fus/false_rape_nm/

Where the guy even only giving his own side of the story totally admitted to rape without even realising? I was trying to show someone an example of how rapists don't necessarily think they're raping someone but it seems to have been wiped off the Internet.

Edit: nvm - found it

Could you share it?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Puseklepp posted:

Could you share it?

https://archive.is/ZnMKo

Spoiling this because it's exceptionally creepy

Met this girl on a dating app. She came right out and said she would be up for a hook up only.
We go out and I take her back to my place. My roommate and three of his male friends are there but leave shortly. She is quiet the whole time. I ask her if anything is wrong while the six of us are talking. She says no and fiddles with her phone.
I ask her to watch a movie. She says ok. She starts talking about how she needs to leave when the movies starts. I joke with her about her promise. She laughs, I laugh. I move in to make out with her. She isn't into it at first. I ask her if she is ok. She says she is ok. She fiddles with her phone a bit (reception is really bad in my apartment/area). I gently take it from her and put it down. She seems ok with this. She smiles. I move in and try to start things again. She is into it.
Sex happens. After, I go to take a shower and I come out and she is gone. My back door is open. I drove so she doesn't have a car.
About 20 minutes later, the police come by and arrest me.
Apparently, she says she felt unsafe and I raped her and when I left to take a shower, she "fled" the house and went to the neighbors to call 911.
They found her underwear in my house and they said it had a bit of blood in it. I don't know how that could have happened but it could have been there before. The sex wasn't rough.
I am not sure where to go from here. They said I'd be assigned an public defender because I am so poor.
I didn't sign anything or admit to anything. I just told them it didn't happen like whatever she claimed.
They won't tell me if the rape kit came back positive for force or not and they won't tell me all of what she said.
WTF happened? How do I not to go to jail forever because of some crazy sensitive person who read the situation wrong? If she had told me no at all I would have stopped or asked me to take her home, I would have.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zakharov posted:

https://archive.is/ZnMKo

Spoiling this because it's exceptionally creepy

Met this girl on a dating app. She came right out and said she would be up for a hook up only.
We go out and I take her back to my place. My roommate and three of his male friends are there but leave shortly. She is quiet the whole time. I ask her if anything is wrong while the six of us are talking. She says no and fiddles with her phone.
I ask her to watch a movie. She says ok. She starts talking about how she needs to leave when the movies starts. I joke with her about her promise. She laughs, I laugh. I move in to make out with her. She isn't into it at first. I ask her if she is ok. She says she is ok. She fiddles with her phone a bit (reception is really bad in my apartment/area). I gently take it from her and put it down. She seems ok with this. She smiles. I move in and try to start things again. She is into it.
Sex happens. After, I go to take a shower and I come out and she is gone. My back door is open. I drove so she doesn't have a car.
About 20 minutes later, the police come by and arrest me.
Apparently, she says she felt unsafe and I raped her and when I left to take a shower, she "fled" the house and went to the neighbors to call 911.
They found her underwear in my house and they said it had a bit of blood in it. I don't know how that could have happened but it could have been there before. The sex wasn't rough.
I am not sure where to go from here. They said I'd be assigned an public defender because I am so poor.
I didn't sign anything or admit to anything. I just told them it didn't happen like whatever she claimed.
They won't tell me if the rape kit came back positive for force or not and they won't tell me all of what she said.
WTF happened? How do I not to go to jail forever because of some crazy sensitive person who read the situation wrong? If she had told me no at all I would have stopped or asked me to take her home, I would have.

It reads like the guy isn't being honest at all about what happened. "Oh, her underwear had blood on it. I wasn't rough at all and she was smiling when I moved in to gently caress her and I'm telling you she said ok guys, why don't you believe me?"

It's like the guy is halfway to outright admitting that he raped someone and is just changing the parts that definitely provide evidence of it to avoid looking like the bad guy to Reddit.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well it has to be! It's not like there are at least three other boards where you can poo poo post about your terrible opinions meant to "offend for laughs, ha ha" in.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It reads like the guy isn't being honest at all about what happened. "Oh, her underwear had blood on it. I wasn't rough at all and she was smiling when I moved in to gently caress her and I'm telling you she said ok guys, why don't you believe me?"

It's like the guy is halfway to outright admitting that he raped someone and is just changing the parts that definitely provide evidence of it to avoid looking like the bad guy to Reddit.

Also the fact he mentions some "promise" she was close to breaking. He never mentions a promise until that line.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I think what takes this to the next level is that he undoubtedly changed parts of the story to not look like the bad guy and still got 100% of the way to admitting he raped someone.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Graedyn posted:

That was fun. The probations and bans for disagreeing with the gibbis hive mind were bad tho.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its weird how he sees nothing wrong with it when that should basically should be in the dictionary under rape through coercion or intimidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Its weird how he sees nothing wrong with it when that should basically should be in the dictionary under rape through coercion or intimidation.

Lots of people think that if you don't literally say "no" at least once, it's not rape. Then there are the people that think you have to keep saying it because obviously if you say "no" then you're just playing hard to get.