Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
That’s a good looking Ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

holy gently caress that's amazing

Also: got 2nd in a local tourney yesterday. I only brought Madrak 1 double champs in Band of Heroes because I didn't feel like rushing to finish models for another list. Turns out Madrak is still real good and denying tough is extremely relevant.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Miniature Market is doing a big Warmahordes sale tomorrow.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
:argh:

A week after I ordered the Khador theme box and Sorscha3 kit.

At least I’ll be able to use up the :tenbux: of credits I had leftover in their store.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I got this hardy boy finally done!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking good. I just built my theme force box tonight. Paint goes down probably this weekend.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

Looking good. I just built my theme force box tonight. Paint goes down probably this weekend.

That comes with Drago, right? So happy Demo Corps is good again

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

That comes with Drago, right? So happy Demo Corps is good again

Drago, greylord forge seer, Demo corps, suppression tanker, mechaniks, atanas&standard.

Looking through my stuff, it appears I already had one set of demo corps, like three kits of standard man-o-Wars, drakun, kovnik, and some other model that isn’t the kovnik’s unmourned model, but something else I have to look up still.

I’m just missing the bombardiers, the AP gun tanker, the battle engines, and sorscha3 at this point.

I think I’m going to play this theme with S3 and either B1 or Vlad2 for a bit. I really like the aesthetic.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

darnon posted:

Miniature Market is doing a big Warmahordes sale tomorrow.

I don’t see a banner or anything but if you search you can filter for the Focus & Fury sale items.

How much do I really want another full unit of Winter Guard? $22 seems like a steal and I know WGK is strong but I haaaaate painting full units of stuff.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Full list here.

http://miniaturemarket.com/media/PIP_Sale_2019.xlsx

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I need to get my gaming circle up there to try and cut back on shipping to Europe. Do i get grymkin or khador?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I need to get my gaming circle up there to try and cut back on shipping to Europe. Do i get grymkin or khador?

Yes.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
http://privateerpress.com/content/privateer-press-welcomes-bob-watts-as-new-chief-executive-officer

I don't know much about company structure or this dude, but that sounds like a pretty solid move.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that announcement.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Seems like a real solid addition and I hope he fixes the Europe issue.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MCPeePants posted:

http://privateerpress.com/content/privateer-press-welcomes-bob-watts-as-new-chief-executive-officer

I don't know much about company structure or this dude, but that sounds like a pretty solid move.

This was long overdue. Look at what happened to Games-Workshop when they brought in an outside, corporate guy to run the business.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maneck posted:

This was long overdue. Look at what happened to Games-Workshop when they brought in an outside, corporate guy to run the business.

What happened?

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Bob is great! Interacted with him a decent amount when he was leading Cerberus in the UK.
Looking forward to seeing the great things he'll bring to the Privateer team.

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What happened?

In short: they became a billion dollar company - their stock rose 400%, they changed policies to be more consumer friendly thus earning more money.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ysera posted:

In short: they became a billion dollar company - their stock rose 400%, they changed policies to be more consumer friendly thus earning more money.

In long, yes, up 400% - over a three year period. For a 40 year old company, hat didn't change its line of business, with no merger. Just sound business decisions. It's genuine growth too, driven by a shocking sales increase.

GW's new CEO (Rountree) was appointed in 2015. He's not a 40k fan. Rather, he treated GW like any other business, albeit one in a creative industry. GW now has a very steady release schedule, with highly competent marketing (they use social media - which apparently was a revelation) preceding important releases by several months to half a year. When the product arrives in stores, people are ready to buy and the expectation now is that everything will immediately sell out.

Some of his genius moves were really obvious - but give him credit all the same. Like, having start collecting boxes that are reasonably priced and will get people to start building an army. So now both 40k and AoS now have start collecting boxes with significant cost savings and a reasonable number of models. And instead of making people buy a $200 box to get started, he made the rules free. These efforts brought massive numbers of people back to GW's products, both in returning players and genuinely new ones. Miniatures being what they are, those new players then pay full price to build the rest of the army around their cheap core.

It's a turn around that is likely to end up being studied in business school. PP doesn't need to replicate that result. If they can do a tenth as well, they'll be doing really, really well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
PP already does do all that stuff though

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

StuG Jeebus posted:

PP already does do all that stuff though

It wouldn't be surprising if GW 2015 looked at PP 2015 and said "Lets do that too."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

In another sales related subject, I'm debating purchasing both Behemoth and Malakov2 for this, please dissuade me? (4 less points are for upcoming Sorscha0 who'll get a Juggernaut)
War Room Army

Khador - New Army

Theme: Jaws of the Wolf
3 / 3 Free Cards 71 / 75 Army

Kommander Andrei Malakov - WJ: +28
- Behemoth - PC: 25 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 3)
- Juggernaut - PC: 13
- Juggernaut - PC: 13

Manhunter - PC: 4
Manhunter - PC: 4
Widowmaker Marksman - PC: 0
Yuri the Axe - PC: 0
Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 0
- Destroyer - PC: 14

Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5
Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8

THEME: Jaws of the Wolf
---

GENERATED : 01/23/2019 18:58:16
BUILD ID : 2069.18-10-06

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

Maneck posted:

In long, yes, up 400% - over a three year period. For a 40 year old company, hat didn't change its line of business, with no merger. Just sound business decisions. It's genuine growth too, driven by a shocking sales increase.

Over a 1 year period. Their stock rose from beginning of 2017 to end of 2017 by 400% went from high 10's to 40's Unless you were talking about the changes being over a 3 year period. Then you're obviously right.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I picked up a copy of the Forces of Skorne book at my FLGS because they're dumping the PP books for 50% off last month. I got around to reading through it, and now scratching my head. Something like half of Skorn units are not in the book. Did they deliberately not include units, which are in the game, in the army reference book? Why on earth would PP make that choice?

Anyway, I now have a better understanding of why so many long term players are bitter about how Mk. III rolled out. Even knowing that the cards are there online if I want to try to look through them that way, it seems like an absurdly silly decision.

Ysera posted:

Over a 1 year period. Their stock rose from beginning of 2017 to end of 2017 by 400% went from high 10's to 40's Unless you were talking about the changes being over a 3 year period. Then you're obviously right.

You're right. I was thinking of it as three years of taking over. Two years of making good decisions, and in year three the market realized how well his choices had panned out.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The books were from MK II.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nah, they were originally gonna release 2 or 3 books per faction around the themes and then... didn't

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
What happened to those warcaster / warlock pins they were doing for a few years? Are they still around or do I now have a collectors item?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

For_Great_Justice posted:

The books were from MK II.

The front matter indicates: "First printing: April 2017".

The warlock roster looks complete (except Jalaam who was added more recently). The Warbeast list looks complete. The unit list and the solo list are combined, for some reason. The missing unit entries are:
- Cataphract Arcurii (released 2006);
- Cataphract Cetrati (released 2013);
--Tyrant Vorkesh (released 2013);
- Immortals (released 2007);
--Immortal CA (released 2015);
-Legends of Halaak (released 2015);
-Praetorian Ferox (released 2007);
-Praetorian Karax (released 2007)
--CA
-Praetorian Keltarii (released 2014);
-Praetorian Swordsmen (released 2006)
--CA
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer (released 2009)

Looks like around half the solo entries are missing too. By my count, more than half of Skorne units that made up the Skorne army in 2017 are not in the Forces of Hordes: Skorne Command book that is supposed to list the army.

I won't bang on about it beyond this, but I'm stumped. If there's an explanation as to why they would have done this, I'd love to hear it.

Edit:

S.J. posted:

Nah, they were originally gonna release 2 or 3 books per faction around the themes and then... didn't

Well, I'm starting to understand why there's a bunch of bitter long term players who are disgusted by themes. Thanks for the explanation.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

What happened to those warcaster / warlock pins they were doing for a few years? Are they still around or do I now have a collectors item?

depends on the pin

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

Well, I'm starting to understand why there's a bunch of bitter long term players who are disgusted by themes. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes and no. The latter half of Mk2, especially the last year or so, the majority of tournament lists were themes, but themes back then were far more restrictive since they were focused around a single caster. Mk3 expanded themes to includes basically every caster, but narrowed them down to focus on a particular factions already existing sub-themes, like Trenchers or Winter Guard or whatever. The problem in early Mk3 was the timing of the rollouts - the first few themes introduced meant those themes were mostly just the best things to play since they got 12-15 extra points worth of models and maybe one or two extra relevant benefits on top of that. A number of themes didn't get rolled out until they had a proper model release/CID cycle (although there was a big theme dump which helped quite a bit), which, while understandable, was only going to happen so fast.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

There's also a number of players, at least the people I know, who dislike themes because they can't play some specific things they used to be able to (like pig infantry + gator infantry in the same army without suffering a points disadvantage) or because they feel obligated to minmax as much as possible and won't play an army without at least 20 free points.

Personally, I'm fairly over it and I'm only annoyed by a couple of outliers like blanket carapace when combined with multiple battlegroup buffs. Some are on the much weaker side for bonus rules, but it mostly isn't a big deal. Wish they didn't give out '+1 starting roll' or 'small subset of units gain reposition'.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I would like to see each faction eventually get some sort of grab-bag theme that provides for less free stuff but some interesting combined-arms rules but that would be pretty loving tough to design and I don't expect it to happen

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

I would like to see each faction eventually get some sort of grab-bag theme that provides for less free stuff but some interesting combined-arms rules but that would be pretty loving tough to design and I don't expect it to happen

I'd get down on an Assault Kommando theme force, for sure.

(They'd still be terrible options)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

I'd get down on an Assault Kommando theme force, for sure.

(They'd still be terrible options)

I mean... Trenchers got good, and Assault Kommandos are easily as cool as Trenchers :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Kommandos... are honestly one "Winter Guard" tag off being playable. With Joe buffing them, they could work as the frontline part of WGK.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

mp5 posted:

depends on the pin

I'm sitting on a Harbinger pin. It's the only one I bought because she's been my main menoth caster since mk1

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm sitting on a Harbinger pin. It's the only one I bought because she's been my main menoth caster since mk1

They still do pins, but I don't remember them doing limited time ones for a while

Iceclaw posted:

Kommandos... are honestly one "Winter Guard" tag off being playable. With Joe buffing them, they could work as the frontline part of WGK.

If nothing else, immunity: fire makes them real loving close to being good with Judicators running rampant, regardless

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iceclaw posted:

I just got a second box of them from that eBay mystery box seller. I went half mast just thinking about them with a WG tag.

Actually had an amazingly good haul from that eBay deal. Only bad pull for me was a second Vlad2. Everything else I had use for. I went in for 2 Khador mystery boxes and got

Sorscha3
WG Artillery Kaptain
WG Infantry Officer & Standard
Iron Fang Uhlans
Vlad 2 (duplicate)
Vlad 3
Kossite Woodsmen
Assault Kommandos (second set for me)
Behemoth (old sculpt)
Old Witch & Scrapjack
Battle Mechaniks (3rd set for me)

I don’t have a second WG Infantry to use the attachment for yet, but I’ll definitely get another for WG theme and rocketeers, so they’re sort of useful. I didn’t need a third Mechaniks unit, and Vlad2, but everything else I basically needed or had a use for.

I’m especially happy for Kossites and Behemoth because I never got around to buying them and probably wouldn’t have for a good long time. I don’t feel bad getting them in this haul for 60%+ off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

S.J. posted:

They still do pins, but I don't remember them doing limited time ones for a while

If nothing else, immunity: fire makes them real loving close to being good with Judicators running rampant, regardless

That, and the more I think about it, the more on paper they would play well with Sorscha2, of all thing: iron flesh+Desperate Pace means an arm20 unit moving 8 a turn, possibly tough thanks to Joe. Put WA on second line and have them using the first line to spray from safety, plus shatterstorm. Plus being pow 15 under Bear's Strength on the charge mean a really nasty feat turn.