Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you have a title for this book? I'm always looking for new reading material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you have a title for this book? I'm always looking for new reading material.

Poachers Caught! Adventures of a Northwoods Game Warden by Tom Chapin

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is it Wildlife Wars?

e: oh poo poo two books about game wardens

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YggiDee posted:

Is it Wildlife Wars?

Three! “Poachers Caught!” has a sequel!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Three! “Poachers Caught!” has a sequel!

Did they have a catch and release programme?

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Takes No Damage posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sd89jp9LFE1uvv5gh.mp4

It's not clear what kind of move he was trying to do.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sc9fjwG6sh1rqf6td_720.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

canyoneer posted:

Poachers Caught! Adventures of a Northwoods Game Warden by Tom Chapin

YggiDee posted:

Is it Wildlife Wars?

Hell yeah, time to try these out while I wait for Joe Abercrombie and Tamsyn Muir to finish their latest goddamn books.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Impressive: last year, a guy in Ohio killed the largest whitetail deer in Ohio and the third largest in North America. Cue up the interviews and triumphant music.

Schadenfreude: he’s now getting charged with:
Five counts each of illegally hunting deer without written permission, and taking possession of a deer in violation of a division rule.
Three counts of theft by deception.
Two counts each of hunting without a license, hunting without a valid deer permit, and tampering with evidence.
Once count each of jacklighting, theft, falsification, and sale of wildlife parts.

Also, his sister and two friends are charged as accessories. drat those pesky cellphone signals!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/cj-alexander-indicted/

Ed: drat, the fining formula is not only wild but has held up in court:

“According to Section 1531.201 of the Ohio Revised Code, anyone found guilty of illegally taking a deer over 125 inches gross score shall be ordered to pay a special restitution fee in addition to any restitution value established in division rule. This additional fine is calculated using the following formula: ((gross score – 100)² x $1.65). Should DNR officials find the Alexander buck’s widely reported gross score of 235 ⅞ inches to be accurate, Alexander could receive an additional fine of $30,462.33 if convicted.”

Quadratic fines?! That's pretty wild, should be used in other areas lol. I had to look up what 'jacklightning' meant, and holy poo poo it's spotlight hunting, gently caress that guy. I'm amazed it's legal anywhere in the world, it has a lovely habit of getting bystanders killed.

No real sympathy for the guy, hunting laws exist for a reason and people who intentionally circumnavigate them are just assholes looking to play with a gun. (This probably doesn't really hit as hard if you're in the states, I guess)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Can't pork there mate.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ninurta posted:

Can't pork there mate.

They can and they have.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
disclaimer, I haven't read Wildlife Wars yet but the author had a segment on This American Life where he brought down salmon poachers in the middle of the night by putting on a wetsuit, hiding in the river, and letting the poachers reel him in. so he sounds cool.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm going to start sparing you the audio when it's truly atrocious.

https://i.imgur.com/w4tPhYE.mp4

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Pepper Pig

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Look at this pigs huge ball

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trabant posted:

He still blocked the kick.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Successfully defended itself against France, China the US etc

salute the hog

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SA will forever be the site about pigs and balls

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Trabant posted:

Well, it does appear that he stopped the ball, so good goal-keeping, I guess. Although, that’s not the part of the head you’re supposed to use in football/soccer. I have no clue if there all rules about that, though.

minato posted:

Pepper Pig

:nice:

Somehow, I ended up back on page 310 and rewatched this clip:

And it suddenly occurred to me that it looks like the bike heard a mouse under the concrete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP15zlyra3c

This is what happens when I watch videos in this thread as soon as I wake up.

Bored has a new favorite as of 02:02 on May 13, 2024

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, ACAB except Park Rangers and Game Wardens.

This is because cops can't roll as rangers or druids so Parkies and wardens aren't cops by default. Classes available for the cop race are Warrior (without weapon specs), Corrupted Paladin, or Thief

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey.

Don't forget were rat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Werepig*, do not impugn the noble rat with association with cops

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Soul Dentist posted:

This is because cops can't roll as rangers or druids so Parkies and wardens aren't cops by default. Classes available for the cop race are Warrior (without weapon specs), Corrupted Paladin, or Thief
My wife and I were browsing through Max this weekend and ran across a show called 'Yellowstone Wardens' all about Park Rangers and Wardens and I can sadly confirm that APRAB as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

He still blocked the kick.

SSI (Scott Sterling Intensity) rising!!!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

Quadratic fines?! That's pretty wild, should be used in other areas lol. I had to look up what 'jacklightning' meant, and holy poo poo it's spotlight hunting, gently caress that guy. I'm amazed it's legal anywhere in the world, it has a lovely habit of getting bystanders killed.

No real sympathy for the guy, hunting laws exist for a reason and people who intentionally circumnavigate them are just assholes looking to play with a gun. (This probably doesn't really hit as hard if you're in the states, I guess)

In nz hunting is allowed on public land from 30 min before sunrise to 30 min after sunset. It's also illegal to have any attachments that would allow for hunting after dark, such as torches or night vision on your rifle.

The people who break these rules are exactly the fuckwits that scare the poo poo out of me knowing they're loose with firearms. Mate of mine had his dog shot because some fuckwit saw a four legged thing in a thermal scope and just had a crack at it.

Since it's legal on private land there's also no laws to say that the various gun shops can't sell any night hunting gear, half of them don't even bother with a wink nudge sign talking about the laws anymore.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm kiwi too, that story about a camping lady getting blown away since some git did spotlight hunting at a road end and mistook her headtorch for a deer-eye's reflection. (edit: Rosemary Ives)

For something a big more lighthearted, got to traumatize a couple of Aussies the other day when talking about possums. Their precious endangered species is a pest in NZ for those who don't know, so there's a tonal whiplash equivalent of a yank visiting Canada and watching the locals chase down bald eagles with shovels. Conservation is a land of contrasts!

Serephina has a new favorite as of 06:16 on May 13, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serephina posted:

Yea I'm kiwi too, that story about a camping lady getting blown away since some git did spotlight hunting at a road end and mistook her headtorch for a deer-eye's reflection. (edit: Rosemary Ives)

For something a big more lighthearted, got to traumatize a couple of Aussies the other day when talking about possums. Their precious endangered species is a pest in NZ for those who don't know, so there's a tonal whiplash equivalent of a yank visiting Canada and watching the locals chase down bald eagles with shovels. Conservation is a land of contrasts!

So a possum is Australia's equivalent the bald eagle? I thought it would be a kangaroo or a koala bear. Also I think it'd be pretty hard to kill a bald eagle with a shovel, since you know, they can fly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YggiDee posted:

disclaimer, I haven't read Wildlife Wars yet but the author had a segment on This American Life where he brought down salmon poachers in the middle of the night by putting on a wetsuit, hiding in the river, and letting the poachers reel him in. so he sounds cool.

My story about poachers of aquatic critters getting caught isn’t nearly that elaborate, but it was fun to see unfold.

We were sitting down to a picnic lunch with a beautiful sea view. We happened to be right next to one of the pair of monuments that defined the bay as a protected marine sanctuary. Looking across the water at the monument on the far side, anything to the right of the line was protected. Anything to the left was fair game.

About the time I’m spreading out the blanket, a fishing boat pulls in and drops line on the left side. Before we’d finished dessert, the coasties were on the scene and boarding the wayward vessel.

It was like a private dinner theatre.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Possums are endangered? First time hearing this.

The Australian colony's coat of arms is an emu and kangaroo. Both are eaten and are not endangered.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I don't think I've met an Aussie that would give a poo poo if you crawled in their roof with a knife in your teeth to skin alive the possums in there loving. You'd probably get a beer for your trouble.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Speaking of australian mammals, here's a yellow-footed antechinus I saw this morning! The males go into a breeding frenzy so exhausting that it kills them in their first year of life.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bald Stalin posted:

The Australian colony's coat of arms is an emu and kangaroo. Both are eaten and are not endangered.

Your heraldry fact of the day is that these animals were selected because they’re unable to walk backwards.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Australians mostly think possums are a pain the arse cos if they get in your roof you're not allowed to trap or kill them

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same with school children.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bald Stalin posted:

Oh they're protected, not endangered, been getting that wrong for a long time it seems. Wonder what they taste like?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

EoinCannon posted:

Australians mostly think possums are a pain the arse cos if they get in your roof you're not allowed to trap or kill them

no one ever accused aussies of being smart decent people

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EoinCannon posted:

Even if you claim it's a small dog?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

carrionman posted:

In nz hunting is allowed on public land from 30 min before sunrise to 30 min after sunset. It's also illegal to have any attachments that would allow for hunting after dark, such as torches or night vision on your rifle.

The people who break these rules are exactly the fuckwits that scare the poo poo out of me knowing they're loose with firearms. Mate of mine had his dog shot because some fuckwit saw a four legged thing in a thermal scope and just had a crack at it.

Since it's legal on private land there's also no laws to say that the various gun shops can't sell any night hunting gear, half of them don't even bother with a wink nudge sign talking about the laws anymore.

It's pretty much the same thing here in Australia. You can get in real trouble if you get caught on public land with a thermal or night vision device even during daylight hours since thermals can help spot deer during the day. But apparently the gun shops all sell shitloads of thermals because there's not a huge amount of enforcement, and as in NZ they can be used legally on private land - they're really good for shooting foxes and rabbits at night.

Wear something bright when you're out in the bush is my advice.

Bald Stalin posted:

Brushtail possums aren't endangered but as a native species they are protected. Roos (and some wallabies - in tasmania only I think) are one of the few native species that can be hunted in the wild because there's plagues of them in the country. The emus you can eat are farmed afaik.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

The emus you can eat are farmed afaik.

Talk about being sore losers, that war was decades ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Talk about being sore losers, that war was decades ago!
The emus know what they did.

They won