Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

INFO:

I’ve got a lot of questions.

I’m not calling shenanigans on your degree. I literally am just not understanding how your degree works.

How does an evaluation of your life experiences cost the equivalent of THREE YEARS’ TUITION at a traditional university?
What happens if the university says your life experiences cannot earn you a degree? Are you then on the hook to pay even more money than you would have paid at a traditional university?
Did you sit for a series of exams to essentially test out of your coursework?
Did you go to university immediately after high school/secondary school?
What are the life experiences you had this university said was equivalent to going through a bachelor/license program? Were you doing pen testing for funsies or something?
I really want to know from what university your received your degree. I figure you’re not going to answer that, though. May I at least ask what country or region you’re in and/or where the online university is based?

quote:

transfereduni -18 1h26m
Thats up to the university to decide

They said it would be included and I would not pay extra and I could retake courses as long as I liked.

There were no exams.

I went immediately but I had summer jobs. I sent proof of some exceptional hs projects, clear criminal record check etc.

It was in the US and I paid in USD.

“Standards for granting credit are entirely up to the university. Also there was no testing of what I had learned whatsoever, or any practical application of my newfound skills. My degree is totally worth it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I thought those "prestigious online universities" charged like $70 or something for a diploma.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

cat botherer posted:

I thought those "prestigious online universities" charged like $70 or something for a diploma.

No that's their operating cost per student

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the key parts of a scam is to never turn down an opportunity for the mark to give you more money.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the key parts of a scam is to never turn down an opportunity for the mark to give you more money.
Yeah but it's really :psyduck: to me that anyone would actually pay multiple tens of thousands when there aren't classes or anything. I suppose some people really are that gullible though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My mom recently did some downsizing and gave me a box full of my exceptional high school projects and lol

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Durf posted:

If he still got a decent job without wasting time or money on a degree maybe he’s smarter than we think.

This.

Lotta people in here feeling threatened the crushing debt they incurred for their education wasn’t really necessary.

(ALL college is a scam on some level)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Speculation about the dude's job beyond "IT" is wish casting but even if he's living comfortably he didn't beat the system by paying a real tuition for a fake degree.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018
Yeah, all college has some level of scam to it (at least in the US, I can't comment on other countries), but I feel I should point out that "smart" people can be scammed, too. OP being "smart" enough to land a job with a fake degree doesn't mean he wasn't scammed.

At my old job, we had the doctors (medical type) on the board fall for email scams (including our phishing tests done by the cybersecurity team) all the time! One of them was literally the best doctor I've ever had, but I would not trust him with anything to do with online security, ha! And don't get me started with how many doctors I had to explain basic email and google to over those three years.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My mom recently did some downsizing and gave me a box full of my exceptional high school projects and lol

My mom's about to give me a bunch of my stuff from storage (been bugging her for some of it), and I'm now dreading getting all of that trash too, lol

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
IT doesnt need a degree. i had at least 15 years on the job before i even bothered and my degree is in math and physics. work help desk until you are sick of it and find a different position at tier 2 repeat etc

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

This.

Lotta people in here feeling threatened the crushing debt they incurred for their education wasn’t really necessary.

(ALL college is a scam on some level)

Y’all missed the part where he paid the amount that he would have paid for three years at a full fledged university, huh

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Right, like, if he'd decided he wasn't ready for college and withdrawn and given his parents the tuition money back until he returned and then managed to get a job he was satisfied with, I'd say it was good for him. If he'd gone into some sort of apprenticeship program for the kind of job he wants because he learns better hands on, that'd be good for him. That's not what happened. I don't think he needs to have gone to college for multiple years to be qualified for a job worth doing, but he absolutely got scammed out of a massive amount of money.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

As someone who went and got a bachelor's degree over more than 4 years because I managed to run head-first into a mental health crisis year 1, and who is now currently using that degree mostly as a short-hand for 'can do the things college degrees require you can do' instead of anything more specific while also having a huge amount of debt split between me and my parents who took on parental loans for it, despite getting tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships a year... I also don't get the concept that all college is a scam. The scam is the system of bloated tuition and the expectation in a lot of jobs that you have any college degree at all, but higher education in and of itself is not, like, a bad thing, or an unnecessary thing, and I don't just mean for the hard sciences. Education has a value beyond just what the wheels of capitalism can grind out of you, and that's one of the reason the current system in the USA is so bad.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Baron Zephyrus posted:

God, imagine how many r/r problems would be solved if people realized that children are just smaller people with less life experience/knowledge, rather than items.

When I met and married my husband, he already had 4 kids. 20 years of step-parent and family court experience later, I can tell you that most people don't realize that. I could write up a whole screed on my parenting philosophy after all that, but it would be loving long. What I can say in short form is that my step-kids would have fewer PTSD and trauma symptoms if their bio-mom hadn't treated them like inanimate objects to be wielded as weapons against their father and harshly punished them if they showed him any affection. All of them are low to no contact with her, the two oldest iced her out of their weddings. One of them told me recently that she called them up trying to get together with them when her therapist asked her why she had no contact with her kids and she didn't have a good answer for it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah OP isn't paying for an education in IT, which is barely even a real thing to begin with, he's paying to get a four-year degree from a (somehow) accredited university in one year. If he was extremely savvy he mighta been able to haggle them down a few tens of thousands of bucks, but if he can hold that entry-level job for a couple years nobody's going to give a poo poo if his degree's from Phoenix or Bumpkin State University but they *will* care that he got some kind of four-year degree

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah OP isn't paying for an education in IT, which is barely even a real thing to begin with, he's paying to get a four-year degree from a (somehow) accredited university in one year.
It wasn't accredited :ssh:

Phoenix is a lovely school, but it is a real school. Not the same thing at all as an online diploma mill that gives you credit for high-school projects and a clean record.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Throw that clean criminal record into an email, and baby, you got an education going!

Woah woah, don't throw away that sweet High School project. You can make a degree with that.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

cat botherer posted:

It wasn't accredited :ssh:

Phoenix is a lovely school, but it is a real school. Not the same thing at all as an online diploma mill that gives you credit for high-school projects and a clean record.

Yeah. If they showed him their "accreditation", either it was a website they ran themselves or a photoshopped "stamp" on their website. This kid doesn't strike me as the kind to do a deep dive on the accrediting agency beyond accepting their word for it.

"You were accredited by the International Association of Online Universities and Schools? Sounds legit. Sign me up!"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I never realized until recently just how good a choice it was for me to drop out of college without any debt. Most of my millennial friends are struggling under the weight of student debt, but I've had it much easier just because I went out and started working.

I'm sorry college lied to us all.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

PetraCore posted:

As someone who went and got a bachelor's degree over more than 4 years because I managed to run head-first into a mental health crisis year 1, and who is now currently using that degree mostly as a short-hand for 'can do the things college degrees require you can do' instead of anything more specific while also having a huge amount of debt split between me and my parents who took on parental loans for it, despite getting tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships a year... I also don't get the concept that all college is a scam. The scam is the system of bloated tuition and the expectation in a lot of jobs that you have any college degree at all, but higher education in and of itself is not, like, a bad thing, or an unnecessary thing, and I don't just mean for the hard sciences. Education has a value beyond just what the wheels of capitalism can grind out of you, and that's one of the reason the current system in the USA is so bad.

I went to college to become a college teacher. I wanted to be a teacher for my entire life. I never bought into "those who can't, teach." I loved to learn, I loved most of my teachers, and being a teacher just always sounded right for me. I went to college, got a BA in Creative Writing, an MA in Literature (mostly a study of How to Read Well, Analyze, and Research), and an MA in Writing Practices for Teaching.

I am now a community college composition teacher. I use the skills I got from my degree every day. I am in debt, and I will absolutely admit I learned more about being a teacher in my first year of teaching than I ever did in college, but I value my work in my degree and that practice I got writing two Masters theses means that I can research well, write well, and communicate the value of those things to my students.

College tuition and fees are 100% a scam. I shouldn't be in debt for potentially the next fifty years for the education I got.

The LEARNING and practice you get at college is absolutely not a scam, and thank you for pointing out the distinction.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Yeah. If they showed him their "accreditation", either it was a website they ran themselves or a photoshopped "stamp" on their website. This kid doesn't strike me as the kind to do a deep dive on the accrediting agency beyond accepting their word for it.

"You were accredited by the International Association of Online Universities and Schools? Sounds legit. Sign me up!"

the Association of National Universities and Schools? :v:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

cat botherer posted:

His "Felony-Free College Graduate" t-shirt is generating a lot of questions

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

don longjohns posted:

College tuition and fees are 100% a scam. I shouldn't be in debt for potentially the next fifty years for the education I got.

The LEARNING and practice you get at college is absolutely not a scam, and thank you for pointing out the distinction.

And it’s not just the learning as it applies to your professional career, skills like being able to research, evaluate sources, understand cognitive processes, etc that come from higher education makes you a better citizen and person. It’s such an obvious public good with research almost universally showing as much, and it’s an absurdity of capitalism that education to any level is not available for free to anyone who wants it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Also don't forget that college helps you learn how to cheat (look things up) better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The purpose of college is to take a Latin American Politics class and become a communist.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

rotinaj posted:

Y’all missed the part where he paid the amount that he would have paid for three years at a full fledged university, huh

So he didn’t waste 3 years of his time?

don longjohns posted:

Sure for some the learning and practice helps, but how many kids are told they won’t be even considered worthy of a job unless they have a piece of paper proving it, party and float thru college, and wonder why they aren’t getting hired? I would posit a trade school would be more beneficial to the majority of people than a 4 year college.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 24, 2024

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for refusing my SIL in her request to baptize her child during our wedding?

quote:

I dated my fiance for five years before we tied the knot. I have a great relationship with his parents and siblings....except one of his sisters. The Golden Child of the family. She's annoying, but whatever it's fine, I've been able to keep out of her way for the most part as her family lives out of state.

So my boyfriend and I got engaged and everything is going great planning with both sides of the family. Until SIL at the last minute requests that she and her family baptize their daughter during our ceremony! She'd even called our priest and he'd agreed to combine the ceremonies! Ummm, What? I said no for several reasons - none of which were good enough, and I was apparently being "unreasonable and selfish."

My reasons:

-We're Catholic and weddings are usually an hour, tacking on a baptism would either make the ceremony longer OR take time away from our ceremony.

-Our wedding was an evening affair and the reception was only going to be about 2 hours so even if it lasted 30 min (baptism and their photos afterwards) that would cut our reception down to an hour and a half. (Her wedding/reception was an all day affair FYI)

-The baby would be in the church, in the wedding photos, and at the reception so seriously who would focus on another wedding couple when there's a first grandchild nearby?

Her reasoning:

-All the family would already be gathered (for our wedding) and it'd be a good time for them (her family) to have it. And shouldn't I be accommodating to a first time mother!!!!

-They'd only invite about 4-6 additional people (to our wedding) ((strangers to us)) and it'd be easier on them because we'd already have the venue and food for their short guest list (((which we'd be paying for))).

-It's the fist grandchild and important to the HER family (I guess I wasn't a part of it yet and not included in this sentiment?)

My fiance didn't have a strong preference either way but supported how I felt on the matter. I stuck to my guns and said no but we offered a compromise. We said we'd DELAY our honeymoon trip and they could have the baptism the next Sunday morning during Mass. I thought it was a great compromise! But SIL was not thrilled. So that's what we ended up doing but she still brought baby girl, in full white satin lace, to the wedding and was front and center in all the photos. And they brought their 4-6 extra friends to our reception without asking first. We never made a fuss about it.

My issue is this, I STILL get crap from this SIL and it's been a couple years since the wedding. Snippy remarks made when it's only the two of us around, passive aggressive comments in front of others, Bridezilla labels tossed my way, a cold shoulder when I try to talk to her at holidays, etc. Like seriously, it was years ago and she basically got what she wanted so why am I being treated like I was an AH? AITA??

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

Actually, he did, because he had to lie to his parents that he was attending college and worked for Uber. You’ve struck out twice now, care to go for a third?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Braincloud posted:

Seems like he did, just not on college

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My parents gave me a large sum in first year to cover both tuition and living costs I had to pay the equivalent of the remaining tuition to the university i transfered to.

So I didn't keep any extra money. And because I didn't want my parents to know, I still had to pay living costs for 3 years after that as it had to seem like I was still studying even though I already got my degree within 2 months.

I did do some gig work like Uber during those 3 years though but it wasn't much. I got my IT job only after 3 years which is when I was originally supposed to graduate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

He spent 3 years doing light gig work to maintain appearances for his parents' sake. Whether or not this is more of a waste than taking classes is debatable.

Had he said upfront "you know, I don't think college is right for me" he'd be materially better off, there's really no way to spin this as a win for him over the bullshit educational system.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
He got scammed and he was able to make it work with finding a job, but the lying and three years of keeping up appearances when instead, he could have just been honest and started developing his current career is a real missed opportunity yeah. Three years of killing time is a long time.

And what WAS the long term plan with the parents? Lie the whole rest of his life? Eventually he's going to slip up telling some story about an Uber rider or something. If anything, honesty is way less work in this instance.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 24, 2024

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

wheatpuppy posted:

See also: r/relationships:every single part of your plan on its own is the worst

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
He got megascammed and if he wasn't a loving idiot, if he was ACTUALLY "smart guy intelligently takes clever shortcut instead of education," he could have done the research to buy a fake diploma from a fake college for less than tens of thousands of dollars. Defense of this idiot shows the defender to also be an idiot hth

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh for sure. It's a lemonade from lemons situation that he even has work, not wow he was such a smart guy to skip the education system and use the for-profit degree mills to his benefit, bc he didn't.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

Sure for some the learning and practice helps, but how many kids are told they won’t be even considered worthy of a job unless they have a piece of paper proving it, party and float thru college, and wonder why they aren’t getting hired? I would posit a trade school would be more beneficial to the majority of people than a 4 year college.

Next you should tell us the joke about how nobody should be allowed to study women’s studies or underwater basketweaving

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I don't know how even the "technically legitimate" online schools like Phoenix or SNHU get any students anymore now that you can get completely-online degrees from "legitimate legitimate" schools like Arizona State

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

rotinaj posted:

Next you should tell us the joke about how nobody should be allowed to study women’s studies or underwater basketweaving

Nowhere did I say anything to warrant you being the rear end in a top hat but here we are.

Edit 2: … meh, not worth it …

Edit: and yes, I glossed over the part of dude loving around as an Uber driver.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 24, 2024

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

He got megascammed and if he wasn't a loving idiot, if he was ACTUALLY "smart guy intelligently takes clever shortcut instead of education," he could have done the research to buy a fake diploma from a fake college for less than tens of thousands of dollars. Defense of this idiot shows the defender to also be an idiot hth

Honestly the one thing that makes me doubt the validity of the whole thing is that he says he spent the 3+ years of tuition on the one year of this fake school, and that his parents continued paying for him for the full 4 years he was supposed to be in uni, including living expenses. It's possible his parents are even dumber than him but I doubt they would've just handed him 4 years of college money at once, so how did he spend the full tuition on the fake school if he didn't have it all at once? Since he claims he got the degree within a year at most?

Regardless, I'm all for a "lied on my resume about something harmless/had a friend be a reference/etc & got a nice job anyway" success story but this guy's comments in that thread were dumb as poo poo. It doesn't sound like he "beat the system" and if he's a real person he might run into problems getting future jobs if they do any kind of check on whatever the uni he is putting on his resume is. At best he can just leave it off or make enough money to go through uni for real this time, and/or get jobs where it doesn't matter (which is a common story for IT work at least) but then he'd still have gotten scammed for presumably thousands of (his parents') dollars and multiple years of his time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Braincloud posted:

You misunderstand what I'm saying. Education and broadening your horizons through it can have many benefits that aren't even directly or indirectly related to the job market and making a career, and in an world where information can be spread and taught so freely it's kind of inexcusable for the system to be set up in such a way that people feel the need to go into debt for, as you say, a piece of paper that many jobs have started making a baseline requirement, but that isn't anything like equally accessible to all people regardless of how smart they are or how much they want to learn.

I'm not dissing trade schools or apprenticeships or justifying why a 4 year degree is considered a baseline requirement for a lot of jobs when just graduating isn't going to tell you if a person actually learned the skills you want them to have or floated through college on a cloud of nepotism. I'm saying I think society would be healthier if it was free or cheap for people to take, at the minimum, part-time classes they wanted to take in between whatever else they're actually doing with their lives, because it's good for people to learn what interests them through reputable sources.

This isn't even touching on how much things can get tangled up if you go to a college that's accredited but poorly structured or has bad rules in other ways, or the potentials for abuse in the system, or the fact that some people don't do well with learning in the ways a lot of schools are structured and that's fine and it's fair not to want to waste a bunch of time and money on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
And don't forget the applicable skills education teaches as a by-product. Like vetting sources of information, structuring arguments, reasoning, exposure to new ideas you wouldn't otherwise have.