Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Buhbuhj posted:

When I put my new wheels on the added traction took away some of the rotation so I adjusted my rear sway to the innermost setting and it's back now hurrah.

Also my tires were at 37lbs because??? I guess California air is lighter than New York air or something but I took some out.

Is it warmer than the last time you checked the pressures? PV=NRT and all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Picked up this spiffy 'Teg last night for 500 bucks. It's an automatic.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MasonF posted:

I am so jealous of your Alfa. My dad had a gorgeous one sitting in the backyard for years, next to my MR2 parts car. I would always ask him when we were going to work on it, but then my senior year of high school (2006) I came home one day and it was gone. He sold it along with 3 engines and a turbo kit for it. I'm definitely going to show him a picture of your car. Maybe I'll convince him to buy another one.

Thanks! What kind of Alfa was it? Alfetta GTV/GTV6 or something else?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bucephalus posted:

Picked up this spiffy 'Teg last night for 500 bucks. It's an automatic.

Automatic or not, that's a hell of a deal, and even the automatics drive decent (used to have a 91 LS myself - basically the same engine/trans, 10hp difference).

I'm guessing mid 90s from the front bumper, and RS or LS from it having hubcaps?

Where I'm at, $500 won't even get you a complete shell.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 20, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
'94 LS. Needs a battery, cat-back and struts. It was going to the wrecking yard May 1st. :aaa:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

'94 LS. Needs a battery, cat-back and struts. It was going to the wrecking yard May 1st. :aaa:

You did a good thing. Too many times I go into my local junkyard and see beauties like that which just needed a little knowledge and love.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
No pictures till the weekend when I can clean it and take it out, but today my e30 went ~1.3" down. Swapped the 25 year old stock suspension for Bilstein HD's and H&R sport springs, and had a bunch of the related mounts replaced as well. Also valves timed.

I love it. :3

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Removed the remnants of the old exhaust. New system should be here tomorrow.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger posted:

No pictures till the weekend when I can clean it and take it out, but today my e30 went ~1.3" down. Swapped the 25 year old stock suspension for Bilstein HD's and H&R sport springs, and had a bunch of the related mounts replaced as well. Also valves timed.

I love it. :3

Today my car died in the middle of traffic, had to get a flatbed home. Pretty sure the pepboys reman alternator I installed 8 months ago just failed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

Removed the remnants of the old exhaust. New system should be here tomorrow.

2/3 of it arrived, even though it all left the same warehouse at the same time. FEDEX :argh:

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Today my car died in the middle of traffic, had to get a flatbed home.

:ohdear:

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Sold one of my rides today. :(

Means I can focus more on the MR2s and Supra though, so that's good.

edit: also, bolted up my exhaust for smogging the 85 MR2.

MasonF fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 23, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did the front brakes on a 99 rust belt explorer today.

Took the wheel off and half the dust shield just fell off like a fucker.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

That's a really nice interior.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replace a high-temp vacuum tree with a temp sensor for my upcoming EFI swap. I thought I was going to need a bushing so I figured I'd do it now and run to the hardware store since I've done my truck duties for the week.

Turns out, if you don't let the engine cool, the vacuum tree will shoot out with a geyser of coolant as soon as it's loose enough. Literally no warning, just turn it a quarter turn and it pops. covering my hand and the engine bay in warm coolant. I can't believe my idiocy on this one. I'm lucky I accidentally let it cool by coming inside and screwing around for a half hour before getting this job done.

Fortunately all is well, no burns, not that much coolant lost, and the new temp sensor threaded right in.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
New exhaust on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Used the dead 5 ton as a crane counterweight:

Then swapped the summer tires/wheels onto the forester and roadmaster.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

No pics, but replaced the regulator / rectifier on my '77 XS750, and verified that it is now charging the battery. Replaced all the brake lines with custom HEL braided stainless, and pads Vesrah semi-metallic, and it actually stops with some authority now.

Just need to sort out the slow-ish leak in the rear tire, and then it should be good to just pile miles on.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Bought this yesterday for $900 CDN.

'78 (I think) F250, with a 460 that runs great and almost no brakes whatsoever which made bringing it home down a twisty downhill gravel road a lot of fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Assuming the front dana 60 (if it is a dana 60 not a dana 44 HD) is in good shape, it's worth nearly your purchase price alone to the right person. Sweet truck, too. Dentsides are the only ford pickups I'd consider really.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

kastein posted:

Assuming the front dana 60 (if it is a dana 60 not a dana 44 HD) is in good shape, it's worth nearly your purchase price alone to the right person. Sweet truck, too. Dentsides are the only ford pickups I'd consider really.

Its only a rear wheel drive, I probably should've mentioned that.

It's in remarkably good shape, aside from the hole in the passenger footwell there's really only a few dents and scratches in it.

The air conditioning even kind of works!

Gerblederp fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Weight reduction!

Actually I'm getting my Focus back on the road (again,) had some nasty rust on the door, requiring removing the door and therefore the fender -

Not pictured: the really bad part on the backside that has been wire wheeled, acid etched and covered in POR-15.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MasonF posted:

Sold one of my rides today. :(

Means I can focus more on the MR2s and Supra though, so that's good.

May I ask what such beauty sells for these days? :o

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

88h88 posted:

Sold it for $3000. It wasn't perfect, but it was a pretty sweet car. Got it for $700 and drove it for a year, so I definitely made money off it. Wish I could have kept it but I need to focus on my other cars, namely my 1985 MR2.

edit: Oh yeah, and I got my Optima for the MR2 today! Installation tomorrow.

MasonF fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 29, 2016

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I discovered that at least one of the main fuel lines that have been slowly corroding are now starting to leak. There are no puddles left where I park and I don't smell anything while standing outside the car, but it's unmistakably present whenever the car is in motion. The best I could do was trace a small seepage trail to somewhere above the heat shield just in front of the rear tire. It's great to know that it's also run through plastic snap-in type holders along side the other fuel and brake lines that are also corroded pretty badly as well.

gently caress me...:frogsiren:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
My boot lid has got stuck in customs with an estimated clearance time of four weeks. That means fairly small rear-end accident will have taken my car off the road for almost three months.

I'm kinda wishing my insurance didn't go ahead and buy new JDM parts and instead got them off a wreck locally.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oil change, oil filter and fitted a Fumoto quick release valve because I could. Winner.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

88h88 posted:

What model is it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

What model is it?

Celica liftback. 77-79.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 30, 2016

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ugh I almost hosed up bad twice. I swapped winter for regular tires in my wifes Escape. I was hand threading on the lugs, then zipping them on quickly, but one of them caught right away and got a few bangs with the impact. I spent the next twenty minutes loving around and then getting a thread file to fix that first turn. Whoops.

Then after I torqued all of the lugs, I relearned them to the TPMS computer and went for a drive, then checked the torque again. That same goddamn wheel, right rear, that I nearly hosed up once was so loose I was probably about a freeway exit away from losing it entirely. I'm not sure if I ever torqued it in the first place, I remember thinking I started with that wheel, but maybe I started right after?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Finally got a chance to get it up on a lift to get a closer look at the fuel line leak and noticed immediately that the thin seepage trail I saw less than a week ago has gotten progressively worse:

So I'm now set on replacing all of the main fuel lines between the tank and the engine compartment along with the brake lines that run along side them. I was able to get the GM part numbers for the hard steel lines and confirmed that they are still available through my local dealership. I can bend and flare the brake lines myself with bulk stuff from my local supplier.

I'm also due for brake pads and rotors all the way around, and I also have rebuilt front calipers and a new master cylinder to install. Then I can look into fixing the worn outer tie rods(3rd set since 2008 :argh:) as well as the coolant leak that I've been meaning to fix for a few months now. :arghfist::shepspends:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Finally popped the drivers seat out of my MX5 and found I'm too tall for even the tallest harddog bar, whilst sat directly on the floor.

Currently looking at listing to get an idea for what they're selling for. :sigh:

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

88h88 posted:

Oil change, oil filter and fitted a Fumoto quick release valve because I could. Winner.

That's awesome. I never even knew that was a thing. I think I may buy one of those.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Just installed a Cobb rear motor mount on my Fiesta ST. The shift feel is way better and the only down side is a slight vibration at idle.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Once upon a time I bought a 2008 FX4 Ranger.

Then I put some big dumb wheels on it.

Then some water got in it.

Then a new engine went in, and also a supercharger.

The end.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I would like to know more. Custom or part of a kit?

Cleaned the truck out of all personal belongings, tow truck comes tomorrow.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
It was a kit from some company called Moddbox out of Vancouver. The supercharger is off of 10th gen Ford Thunderbird. Should be good for another 50 horsepower at the wheels, without tuning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Friday morning: I blew the engine by being an idiot and not checking my oil level.
Friday afternoon: went and got new engine at pick&pull
Saturday afternoon: pulled blown motor
Sunday afternoon: installed not-quite-as-blown motor :subaru:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Today I was sanding panels on my Focus in preparation for respraying it and found more bubbling paint on the hatch, which I wasn't expecting to have to paint this time around (for anyone keeping track this is the third time I've done at least a partial paint job.) Which led to finding even more rust hiding under the rear license plate mount. All owing to lovely engineering, all of the rust was caused by either the trim piece that houses the license plate lights or the plate bracket touching the body.

Also found some surface rust hiding under the gasket where it lines up with the door sill on my driver's side door and a trace of bubbling paint on the outside of the door skin, necessitating pulling the door off to wire wheel the rust and covering the damage with POR-15. My father in law is going to bodyfill the front of the skin tomorrow and as a result of what I found today I'll be spending my evenings back at his garage sanding panels instead of putting it back together like we had planned - he was going to shoot paint tomorrow evening, after which all I would have had left to do is put the front end back on and get temp tags.

The joys of owning a 14 year old car that's spent its entire life in the rust belt :bang:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom's car this time. It's had an unhealthy appetite for refrigerant lately. Finally threw some dye in it the other day. The condenser glows really loving bright under a UV light now.

Elmnt80 posted:

Cleaned the truck out of all personal belongings, tow truck comes tomorrow.

What happened to it again? I remember seeing something about electrical, but beyond that I'm drawing a blank :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Not my ride per se, but I made a little house for my newest torque wrench. It's on a french cleat with some other tools that live in my room at the moment. The wrench is super cool, a Japanese Tohnichi 0-3N-m dial unit. I intend to use it for setting pinion bearing preload in various differentials.