Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Randomness just doesn't make sense to me. If we have exactly the same situation two times, perfectly and exactly, how could we expect a different outcome? The idea of hidden local or not-local variables makes a lot more intuitive sense. We can never predict it perfectly, of course, so from a practical standpoint it's random.

Then again, maybe that's why I'm in mechanical rather than physics. Meh. Newtonian physics works just fine most of the time, I'm going to stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Karia posted:

Randomness just doesn't make sense to me. If we have exactly the same situation two times, perfectly and exactly, how could we expect a different outcome? The idea of hidden local or not-local variables makes a lot more intuitive sense. We can never predict it perfectly, of course, so from a practical standpoint it's random.

If you want to visualise it, it would be basically like a dice roll, only the dice roll is black box. You can't see any of the processes which produce the result because there aren't any.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We already tested the experimental predictions of quantum mechanics versus local hidden variables, and quantum mechanics won.

Discounting the empirical experimental results of quantum physics because :sparkles:my philosophy:sparkles: says the universe must work a different way is literally Ayn Rand's position yall. Let's not go with praxeological physics in the same thread we're mocking praxeological economics.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 23, 2015

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.

Karia posted:

If we have exactly the same situation two times, perfectly and exactly, how could we expect a different outcome?

Because the universe is nondeterministic.

quote:

The idea of hidden local or not-local variables makes a lot more intuitive sense.

Physics is non-intuitive. Our intuitions evolved to cope with medium-size objects moving at medium speeds, so it's no surprise that they fail when dealing with quantum-level events.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh are we talking quantum mechanics and thermodynamics? This poo poo be my wheelhouse.

Just as a quick aside, "random" does not mean "unknowable." When you're looking at a random quantum event, you're usually looking at an ensemble of ~10^23 events, and statistically the confidence intervals at that sample size get very tight indeed.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My understanding of it has to do with things like the laws of thermodynamics; in particular the second one. The short of it is "any level of entropy in a closed system will increase over time and cause catastrophic failure eventually." Any minute level of randomness fucks up everything. As science has peeled back the layers of the universe bit by bit it has found that seemingly random things weren't.

The universe is a staggeringly huge system that is incomprehensibly complex but even when it cheats and breaks its own rules it does it in predictable ways. Plus as our understanding gets better we keep running into places where the equations we figured out turned out to be more complex than we thought. There were cases of "well this works 99.99% of the time" only to find out that it works 99.99999% of the time if we add one more variable that barely affects it at all under normal circumstances. Which is one reason a lot of people think science is full of poo poo; we've gotten into the realm of things that are extremely difficult to observe like complex math, quantum theory, and chaos theory.

That's... not the best summary of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In fact, not only is randomness compatible with the Second Law, it can be used to derive it. And if all this is bringing you existential dread, don't worry! Science agrees. The founding figures of a lot of this stuff had an unnerving tendency to kill themselves.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 23, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

To the best of our understanding, radioactive decay is provably random, and so are many other processes. I won't discount the possibility of discovering a deterministic process governing radioactive decay, but there's no guarantee of that happening; it might be (and probably is) truly random. And using your same line of reasoning (basically none at all), I could claim that any number of deterministic processes are simply the result of random processes that we simply can't comprehend yet.

Not having a way to accurately simulate things at enough detail to determine what will happen doesn't make something known to be truly random. It simply makes it unpredictable by actual humans with less time than the lifespan of the universe to calculate things. It also, separately, makes those processes good things to use when you need "random" numbers for some manner of project.

Systems being chaotic does not make them non-deterministic.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fishmech posted:

Not having a way to accurately simulate things at enough detail to determine what will happen doesn't make something known to be truly random. It simply makes it unpredictable by actual humans with less time than the lifespan of the universe to calculate things. It also, separately, makes those processes good things to use when you need "random" numbers for some manner of project.

Probabilistic theories are able to explain observable phenomena at the quantum level, and every deterministic theory put forward thusfar is not. If you want to argue against the current model, you need something beyond "I don't like it" on your side.

Though I will admit, "I'm right and you're wrong, but your feeble human brains simply aren't able to conceive of my rightness yet" gives us a great segue back into talking about Austrian economics! :v:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Now let's talk about the loving butterfly effect

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Now let's talk about the loving butterfly effect

Is that when two butterflies doing it causes a person to question his life choice that led him to watching two butterflies do it?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

duz posted:

Is that when two butterflies doing it causes a person to question his life choice that led him to watching two butterflies do it?

It's what causes him to staunchly refuse to think about why he's so into watching two butterflies do it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Empirical testing of Bell's Inequality showed that theories of local hidden variables are inconsistent with experimental results whereas quantum mechanics matches perfectly?

Well quantum mechanicailures you're just not smart enough to find the hidden variables, heh, take that science :agesilaus:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

bokkibear posted:

Because the universe is nondeterministic.

But that means that time-travel movies are scientifically inaccurate because if you go back in time the universe may go in a different direction. How could we live in such a world?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Karia posted:

But that means that time-travel movies are scientifically inaccurate because if you go back in time the universe may go in a different direction. How could we live in such a world?

They are scientifically inaccurate because you'd have to remake the universe as it was, which would involve violating a bunch of very basic rules about reality.

March only forward to the promised land of time travelling to the future, young man

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Empirical testing of Bell's Inequality showed that theories of local hidden variables are inconsistent with experimental results whereas quantum mechanics matches perfectly?

Well quantum mechanicailures you're just not smart enough to find the hidden variables, heh, take that science :agesilaus:

Fishmechology is a theoretical and systematic, not a historical, science. Its scope is human action literally everything as such, irrespective of all environmental, accidental, and individual circumstances of the concrete acts. Its cognition is purely formal and general without reference to the material content and the particular features of the actual case. [...] They are, like those of logic and mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification or falsification on the ground of experience and facts. They are both logically and temporally antecedent to any comprehension of historical facts. They are a necessary requirement of any intellectual grasp of historical events all phenomena.

Karia posted:

That simply splits the universe in infinite directions, and we can just choose to hop to our old one. For more info, check out the science documentary Rick and Morty.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

It's what causes him to staunchly refuse to think about why he's so into watching two butterflies do it.

This right here

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nolanar posted:

Desperate people turning to pseudo-legal theories (Sovereign Citizens, Freemen on the Land, Moorish Law) makes a certain amount of sense. A person in a ton of debt looks at the world, and sees large companies splitting their debt off into a separate corporation, or claiming to be Irish for tax purposes, or claiming that all the people in their factories are actually independent contractors and not employees. Rich people can pay Senators to do what they want, and it isn't bribery because they called it a campaign donation. In an environment where people are able to say all that stuff and get away with it, why shouldn't you be allowed to be dead or a boat when the taxman comes? You just need to know the right words to say to the judge. And here comes a smart man in a good suit who says he'll teach you the right words, and says that it's worked countless times before. And if it doesn't work for you, you must have messed it up, because all those corporate cases say that it must work if you do it right. Otherwise it would mean that the legal system is blatantly tilted in favor of the rich and powerful, and that simply can't be true.
Thing is, a lot of these people seem quite aware that the system is a big conspiracy against them, the honest private citizen, they just misapprehend the why and how like all conspiracy theorists. Yet they somehow believe that the policeman and the judge will say "Welp, ya got me, you don't really have to be licensed, registered, insured, or sober to drive" if they say the right words. It's blatantly magical thinking, to the point that that Canadian justice was at a loss to describe their methods as anything but attempts to cast legal magic spells.

QuarkJets posted:

And for extra idiocy some sovcits believe that the government opens a bank account for each "legal entity" with millions of dollars in it, and if you say the right magic words then you can access those funds somehow. I don't know the specific line of bullshit reasoning behind this one but it's pretty funny nonetheless
The theory is that when the government abandoned the :lron: standard, it pledged its citizens as collateral. Therefore there's a secret account associated with your name that you can redeem by casting the right legal spells.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
True randomness is God. Fishmech is correct, not yet knowing how something works is not proof it can't be understood.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

These conversations are always weird. You have people casually dismissing out of hand some of the most rigorous physics experiments in history because they don't like the results and the possibility of a nondeterministic universe makes them feel sad, while accusing the foremost scientific authorities on earth of arguing from ignorance and being too lazy to figure out the truth (ie confirm my physical inuition that evolved figuring out how to duck predators and catch swinging branches).

Sorry, if you're not even familiar enough with the subject matter to even mention experiments that were done decades ago before handwaving away a hundred years of research, you really have no business telling physicists which theories to rule out.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 24, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

We actually have many ways of accurately simulating things at really fine detail, particle physicists regularly simulate sub-atomic interactions with great success. The problem is that these physical interactions are better described as random processes than deterministic ones, and the only way to create a functioning deterministic quantum theory is to make the most nihilistic philosophical argument imaginable (which also happens to result in a model with as much predictive power as a shoulder shrug)

asdf32 posted:

Fishmech is correct, not yet knowing how something works is not proof it can't be understood.

We know how many of these processes work, they are random processes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

You're definitely right about that, but maybe not in a way that you'd like. Throwing a billiard ball at a bunch of other billiard balls is a chaotic process. Shooting a proton at a bunch of other protons is a non-deterministic process.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I say, when I get off the train at Piccadilly station, my pocketwatch agrees as exactly with the train schedule as it did that morning when I set it according to the church bells as I left my country home. The very idear that a slowing of the clock occurs just because I am speeding through the countryside at the terrifying velocity of 32 miles per hour is absolutely preposterous.

I do wish these scientists would stop playing God: only the Almighty Himself could change the time. It would suit me better if they'd sit down and work out the real reason for Mercury's orbit, rather than engaging in these flights of fancy to hide that they simply don't know and wo'n't try.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

We actually have many ways of accurately simulating things at really fine detail, particle physicists regularly simulate sub-atomic interactions with great success. The problem is that these physical interactions are better described as random processes than deterministic ones, and the only way to create a functioning deterministic quantum theory is to make the most nihilistic philosophical argument imaginable (which also happens to result in a model with as much predictive power as a shoulder shrug)

You admit you can't rule out that a deterministic model may be invented (like 2 posts ago). So that's case closed on the issue. If a deterministic model may be discovered then it's not provably random.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Okay one minute you're saying nondeterminism is completely impossible and is the same as saying goddidit so we need to rule it out and find the "real" deterministic answer, now you're saying only that nondeterminism has never been proven true (a meaningless claim, as no scientific theory has been or can ever be proven true, it can only have its predictions confirmed over and over through experiments, which quantum mechanics has)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 24, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

You admit you can't rule out that a deterministic model may be invented (like 2 posts ago). So that's case closed on the issue. If a deterministic model may be discovered then it's not provably random.

No, the argument is that all physical processes are deterministic. Those same processes that are not provably random are not provably deterministic, either

e: You're misconstruing cautious scientific optimism as an admission that random processes are actually deterministic, which is stupid and wrong

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 24, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

It might also be discovered that the universe was actually created about 7000 years ago and all the evidence to the contrary was planted by Satan to mislead mankind, but until it does our best models show that some physical processes are in fact non-deterministic. And since the alternative models are all vastly less likely to be true, we can even say for a fact that the universe is not deterministic. Also natural science doesn't work by proving negatives, because that's empirically impossible.

It's honestly kind of baffling to see people unironically argue, in the liberitarian mock thread of all places, that non-deterministic models must be wrong because they don't like the implications, because actual physicists mostly stopped doing that about half a century ago and one would think that the info would have filtered down by now.

Halloween Jack posted:

Thing is, a lot of these people seem quite aware that the system is a big conspiracy against them, the honest private citizen, they just misapprehend the why and how like all conspiracy theorists. Yet they somehow believe that the policeman and the judge will say "Welp, ya got me, you don't really have to be licensed, registered, insured, or sober to drive" if they say the right words. It's blatantly magical thinking, to the point that that Canadian justice was at a loss to describe their methods as anything but attempts to cast legal magic spells.

Especially since they start from the premise that the state and the courts are terrible and evil oppressors. One would think that this is kind of irreconcilable with the idea that these terrrible oppressors have to follow the rules if you know the right magic words, unlike all oppressive systems in recorded human history, but no.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Especially since they start from the premise that the state and the courts are terrible and evil oppressors. One would think that this is kind of irreconcilable with the idea that these terrrible oppressors have to follow the rules if you know the right magic words, unlike all oppressive systems in recorded human history, but no.

That's because sovcit, like all conspiracy theories, is for powerless people who want to feel powerful. They know that the rich and powerful can game the system, and they are ready to believe anyone who comes along and offers them some secret knowledge that will put them in control of events and systems they feel powerless to affect.

Asking why the Federal Reserve would steal all our gold and turn us into debt slaves and lie endlessly about what they did, yet are bizarrely honorable enough to set aside a gold account for us that they'll turn over if we ask just right is as pointless as asking how the masterminds of 9/11 could execute a plot involving thousands of people and lying witnesses and faked footage while being reckless or arrogant enough to advertise the plot on album covers and US currency and whatever else so the man on the street can figure it out if he knows where to look.

No one who believes it, believes it because it makes sense. They believe it because it lets them feel in control of their lives and the world around them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

asdf32 posted:

You can't definitively prove that someone might come up with a better theory later, therefore you're wrong and I'm right. I am a scientist. *Flies away using own farts as thrust*

There's no rigorous proof in science. We don't get to check our answers in the back of the textbook. You can't just say "I think you're wrong in nonspecific ways, disprove your wrongness." That's Ludwig von Mises Ken Hamm Gene Ray bullshit.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

No, the argument is that all physical processes are deterministic. Those same processes that are not provably random are not provably deterministic, either

e: You're misconstruing cautious scientific optimism as an admission that random processes are actually deterministic, which is stupid and wrong

quote:

Mr science, random processes have not been proven to exist so I suggest you clarify why your use of that phrase suggests you think they do.

I absolutely did not do that. God (a force unaccountable to known laws of nature) has absolutely not been disproven.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

asdf32 posted:

Mr science, random processes have not been proven to exist so I suggest you clarify why your use of that phrase suggests you think they do.

I absolutely did not do that. God (a force unaccountable to known laws of nature) has absolutely not been disproven.

Wait, are you actually Ken Ham?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

asdf32 posted:

Your heart pumping because of invisible, ethereal pixies punching it also hasn't been disproved, what's your point?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

asdf32 posted:

...you have zero idea how the scientific methods works, do you?

I know gently caress-all about physics, but I know enough about methodology to know that if recent studies show that current deterministic models don't adequately describe phenomena but models including randomness do, then to the best of our current understanding the universe has a degree of randomness to it. I also know enough to say that a statement like "the universe is definitely random" or "the universe is definitely deterministic" is dumb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

He is saying that experiment has confirmed the predictions of quantum mechanics (and falsified the predictions of local realism), which is the standard by which we accept scientific theories. Yes, tomorrow that might be completely revolutionized by some new experimental results, but this is true for all scientific theories. If I say "we know masses attract each other gravitationally" I'm obviously speaking within the context of present knowledge, and deliberately misinterpreting me and retorting "well what if someone finds a better theory tomorrow, what now scientists?" is, well, pretty much a pointless waste of time.

By the way, random processes are not "unaccountable to known laws of nature", as far as we know nature actually operates in a nondeterministic way and quantum mechanics can predict the aggregate outcomes of experiments with greater accuracy than any other theory in the history of the world, notably better than classical local determinism which was already experimentally found to be inferior to quantum mechanics in the 1970s and has only been confirmed to greater degrees of accuracy since then. If you're wedded to determinism though and the idea of random outcomes makes you uncomfy, you're free to give up locality and assume that whatever hidden variable was responsible for the correlations in the Bell's Inequality experiments has the ability to instantaneously affect measurements at other locations regardless of distance, as far as I know (and I don't know much), no one has been able to design an experiment to rule that out.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Treating the universe as if it is deterministic is definitely the more practical option for a lot of applied science and 99.9% of daily life, but it's a far cry from there to saying that the universe absolutely is deterministic.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
guys holy poo poo shut up

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I keep thinking new jrod poo poo is happening and instead it's all this meaning of life and quantum mechanics

this is a thread for shitposting about libertarians, not substantive discussion

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

now, did we ever get a confirmation of that watermelon's status vis a vis getting hosed

by jrod

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haven't you heard, jrod has a new thread now where you can go learn about how slavery in the Gulf states is nothing but whining proles trying to get out of an honest day's work, not real slavery like my tax return.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

now, did we ever get a confirmation of that watermelon's status vis a vis getting hosed

by jrod

It has never been definitively proven that he hasn't, so we are forced to accept the fact that he did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

asdf32 posted:

True randomness is God. Fishmech is correct, not yet knowing how something works is not proof it can't be understood.

Except even true randomness tends to express patterns, chaos tends not to be as random as people think, its just a lot less ordered.

asdf32 posted:

Nor has he been proven. He's an unknown, if he does exist, but statistically? Unlikely.

No, science is not going to prove/disprove god. But nor is god an unaccountable force because he's a force that has ZERO impact, so he might as well be fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Nor has he been proven. He's an unknown, if he does exist, but statistically? Unlikely.

Only statistically unlikely in that we can't form any sort of probability of a god's existence, because we have no baseline with which to do a comparison.