Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
It doesn't help that certain maps doom the Matilda - spawning downhill on Westfield when you aren't bottom tier ensures that you can never help your team win until at least three minutes have passed for you to get up the hill.

Westfield is such a poo poo map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Westfield feels like an extremely biased map since the recent changes. South spawn seems to always win. Everything about the South spawn gives such a huge advantage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People only think the Matilda is good because the alternative is the Valentine

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Westfield feels like an extremely biased map since the recent changes. South spawn seems to always win. Everything about the South spawn gives such a huge advantage.

That is solely due to E0 being a pubbie magnet. East and South are 100% worthless on that map, but E0 is such a prime useless sniper spot that northeast spawn loses far more tanks into the worthless spot on the map than the southwest spawn does.

The map's trash.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I always spawn south on that map and I always lose because my side has 5 mediums and they have 2 and guess where all the mediums go

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Yeah the Matilda has troubles getting places on some maps but I think it's main problem is tier 4 seems to get hosed over more than other tiers. But as top tier on a city map like Himmelsdorfenberg it is a fine tank indeed.
On map talk, I liked the changes to Swamp at first but now it seems you can't really go anywhere but the outside edges of the map when the old one it was mostly fought middle. I saw the changes they're making to Redshire and it looks like it's going to be the same deal.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Westfield is amazing and if you aren't parking every single tank you own in the middle of the map and continuously doing damage through your superior situational awareness then I don't know what to tell you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

On map talk, I liked the changes to Swamp at first but now it seems you can't really go anywhere but the outside edges of the map when the old one it was mostly fought middle. I saw the changes they're making to Redshire and it looks like it's going to be the same deal.

What the gently caress are you talking about? The middle of old Swamp was a goddamn deathtrap, with the exception of east spawn being able to run a tank to D6 because there was a big hill and a bush to spot the enemy spawn location. The old Swamp was a campfest on the edges, but only the north and south hills really mattered and whichever team had less patience would lose (or both teams would draw and lose).

Now you can actually push the east or I guess southwest, instead of just camping for 15 minutes.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

well not the exact middle but everyone camped the hills around it, and now I hardly ever see anyone in those spots, every tank just goes up the side of the map either to that castle thing or the hill on the other side. I suppose it's better than it was but since it's over in under 15 minutes now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

well not the exact middle but everyone camped the hills around it, and now I hardly ever see anyone in those spots, every tank just goes up the side of the map either to that castle thing or the hill on the other side. I suppose it's better than it was but since it's over in under 15 minutes now.

Old Swamp was the worst map in the game (ignoring Province because low tiers must be punished to prevent more people from playing this game) and it wasn't particularly close. It was the exact same bullshit as the old Redshire or Severogorsk or Erlenberg - a static campfest where people who attempt to do things are excessively punished. gently caress the old Swamp, long live the new Swamp.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Westfield owns so long as you spawn south and up top.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellsau posted:

Old Swamp was the worst map in the game (ignoring Province because low tiers must be punished to prevent more people from playing this game) and it wasn't particularly close. It was the exact same bullshit as the old Redshire or Severogorsk or Erlenberg - a static campfest where people who attempt to do things are excessively punished. gently caress the old Swamp, long live the new Swamp.
Confirming long live the new swamp. Also long live the M46 Patton. I was bad in it initially (I remember you giving me some poo poo in a few matches for playing like a tard, a couple nights ago, Hellsau) but I think I am getting a good feel for it:

Their last tank left was that M41 Bulldog and I was starting to think I would die/we would lose because I got three zero damage crits on the fucker from long range.
I had the south spawn and went to that ~secret spot~ that I think Atomizer told me about? The spot in J1 where you are on the flank of the enemy going into that ruined city.
edit: :stonk: and I did that without the second engine upgrade that I need another 15k xp for, hah

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 7, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

Confirming long live the new swamp. Also long live the M46 Patton. I was bad in it initially (I remember you giving me some poo poo in a few matches for playing like a tard, a couple nights ago, Hellsau) but I think I am getting a good feel for it:

I give poo poo to everyone because everyone is bad, especially me. And especially people who choose to not improve like some dude in PINGU, as JohnGalt can attest.

Bad players who don't want to improve are a cancer that you must cut out of your clan if you want good players to continue to participate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellsau posted:

I give poo poo to everyone because everyone is bad, especially me. And especially people who choose to not improve like some dude in PINGU, as JohnGalt can attest.

Bad players who don't want to improve are a cancer that you must cut out of your clan if you want good players to continue to participate.
This is going to sound super loving gay, but I am definitely playing better after platooning with you for a couple hours, getting to see you clown some bitch asses the whole while.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

This is going to sound super loving gay, but I am definitely playing better after platooning with you for a couple hours, getting to see you clown some bitch asses the whole while.

I play better than most people and trash talk better than almost everyone at the same time. I'm basically great, yeah, please praise me more.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

I play better than most people and trash talk better than almost everyone at the same time. I'm basically great, yeah, please praise me more.

shut up nerd

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Bort Bortles posted:

You can look at your Type 59's crew members to see how close they are to gaining a skill level. Dont skills gain a lot slower as they get higher?

Yes, it definitely requires more and more XP to attain 2nd, 3rd and 4th skills, but I feel like my skills aren't even increasing. Granted I've playing incredibly lovely recently, but I feel like my second skill is just frozen at 93%.

Speaking of playing lovely, about a month ago I really felt like something clicked and I was having good or very good matches, even in my losses. Now I feel like I've regressed the past few times I've played. I wish I knew what I was doing differently. One thing is for sure: I'm drawing opponents' attention way more than I was when I was kicking butt. I think maybe I've started being over aggressive again. I'm getting focused and obliterated really early on in matches.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

M.C. McMic posted:

Yes, it definitely requires more and more XP to attain 2nd, 3rd and 4th skills, but I feel like my skills aren't even increasing. Granted I've playing incredibly lovely recently, but I feel like my second skill is just frozen at 93%.
:shrug: I would just look at one of the guys' info sheets to see if they are actually improving because you can track the numbers.

M.C. McMic posted:

Speaking of playing lovely, about a month ago I really felt like something clicked and I was having good or very good matches, even in my losses. Now I feel like I've regressed the past few times I've played. I wish I knew what I was doing differently. One thing is for sure: I'm drawing opponents' attention way more than I was when I was kicking butt. I think maybe I've started being over aggressive again. I'm getting focused and obliterated really early on in matches.
I was playing solo the other night and owning everything, doing like 2k+ damage every match with the occasional 4k+ and winning a lot. Then I was playing last night and having the worst night. I think a lot of is the luck of Wargaming's RNGs-built-on-top-of-RNGs and your pubbie teammates and sometimes, regardless of well you play unless you are a super turbo sperg like Hellsau, just will have bad matches. I had a match in my M46Patton (before the one I posted above) where I received 6 shots in the match and each shot killed a crew member or damaged a critical component (and sometimes both), while in the match I posted the screenshot of I didnt use my repair kit or med kit, and I took a lot of hits because I fought like three tier 7/8 lights that put a bunch of shots into me :iiam:.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Hellsau posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure you have to have some sort of speech-to-text thing going because I've never seen anyone that can type and drive simultaneously to the extent that you are able, consistently and constantly.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Bort Bortles posted:

I was playing solo the other night and owning everything, doing like 2k+ damage every match with the occasional 4k+ and winning a lot. Then I was playing last night and having the worst night. I think a lot of is the luck of Wargaming's RNGs-built-on-top-of-RNGs and your pubbie teammates and sometimes, regardless of well you play unless you are a super turbo sperg like Hellsau, just will have bad matches.

I was looking at noobmeter, and I have indeed been having a lovely time recently. My damage and XP are still trending up over the last couple weeks, but my win rate is 43%, which doesn't surprise me, given my teams melt around me on a consistent basis. I guess I just need to push through.

Also, I do feel like I'm just flat out missing or bouncing drat near "sure things" a lot recently. I'll chalk it up to bad luck (RNG) for the most part, but I still need to stop hanging myself out to dry during matches. Platooning more would probably help too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I'm sure it will come as a surprise to many.

I now have the Churchill 1. Why the gently caress does this thing have two guns?!?

2-pounder in the turret to deal with enemy tanks (fires AP only), 76 mm howitzer in the hull for infantry and fortifications. What do you want, a gun that fires both HE and AP? That's an impossible dream.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

M.C. McMic posted:

I was looking at noobmeter, and I have indeed been having a lovely time recently. My damage and XP are still trending up over the last couple weeks, but my win rate is 43%, which doesn't surprise me, given my teams melt around me on a consistent basis. I guess I just need to push through.

Also, I do feel like I'm just flat out missing or bouncing drat near "sure things" a lot recently. I'll chalk it up to bad luck (RNG) for the most part, but I still need to stop hanging myself out to dry during matches. Platooning more would probably help too.

I've not looked at my stats in quite a few days now. My stats blow rear end because I am "grinding" the T28, King Tiger and Bulldog.

Just do three dailies and wait for CW, have not really had an urge to platoon. Did some fast bois though, that was fun (mainly because the T37 is so stupidly broken at equal tier).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

M.C. McMic posted:

I am bouncing ridiculous poo poo too, probably because I am usually a bit impatient because I am so worried about getting shot :ohdear:

I definitely need to platoon more. No one was on last night though. I should probably actually try to join a clan.

Ensign Expendable posted:

2-pounder in the turret to deal with enemy tanks (fires AP only), 76 mm howitzer in the hull for infantry and fortifications. What do you want, a gun that fires both HE and AP? That's an impossible dream.
fuuuuuuuuuuucckkkk this is going to be a terrible grind isnt it :sigh:

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

I think maybe I've started being over aggressive again. I'm getting focused and obliterated really early on in matches.

Pretty much this. I catch myself not paying attention and over committing sometimes. I tend to take a break (ask anyone who I platoon with) or just quit for a few days.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I am bouncing ridiculous poo poo too, probably because I am usually a bit impatient because I am so worried about getting shot :ohdear:

I definitely need to platoon more. No one was on last night though. I should probably actually try to join a clan.

Churchy I is fine. Use the 6pdr instead of the 75mm guns. It's the Churchy VII where things get really fun.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm talking about the historical Churchill I, in the game the hull howitzer doesn't do anything and you can put a real gun in the turret.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Missing Name posted:

Use the 6pdr instead of the 75mm guns.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Unless you enjoy 2 degrees of gun depression, that is.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

srb posted:

Apparently I do, considering a lot of the tanks I play are Soviet heavies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm talking about the historical Churchill I, in the game the hull howitzer doesn't do anything and you can put a real gun in the turret.
I knew the hull gun didnt do anything (that would take effort on Wargaming's part!). I was groaning because it probably severely limits the size of the gun in the turret. because of weight or whatever.

Control Volume posted:

I think I am. Isnt the top 75mm the same on the Cromwell gets, though?

srb posted:

Do different guns have different amounts of depression?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's the same as the Cromwell gun except unlike the Cromwell the Churchill I is an extremely bad tank when you have it on. Also yeah the 6pdr gets a lot more gun depression

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Yep, turret and gun choices can influence the gun depression (more cramped turret, longer gun with bigger breech and more recoil, etc). Of course, you can't actually find that out until you are in a battle unless you have an expanded information mod or look for the info out of game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

subhelios posted:

Apparently I do, considering a lot of the tanks I play are Soviet heavies.

No Soviet tanks have 2 degrees of gun depression.

Chinese copies of Soviet tanks though, magically lose 2 degrees of gun depression.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

metro care to weigh in on the type 59 buff ???

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Chinese copies of Soviet tanks though, magically lose 2 degrees of gun depression.

I wasn't being literal

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

subhelios posted:

I wasn't being literal

My post is more about Chinese tanks than it is about you

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Well there is the SU-101

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The KV-85 has pretty close to zero degrees with the big guns, it might be about two.

Also Chinese tanks lack Russian Bias, a force capable of bending space and time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

mmkay posted:

Well there is the SU-101

It has a whole 2,3 degrees of gun depression, so hah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Of course, the comedy option is to mount the 3.7in howitzer, because gently caress you, one wasn't enough.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No Soviet tanks have 2 degrees of gun depression

The A-44 certainly loving feels like it