Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

my boy Leon has seen some poo poo

Sigmar preserve us! Morghur arrives under the banner of the Zero Upkeep God

this is my punchin' log : D

:cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Can you actually confederate other welve factions near the start of the grand campaign? Or do you need a tech or council position for it first?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Decus posted:

Can you actually confederate other welve factions near the start of the grand campaign? Or do you need a tech or council position for it first?

2nd Oakland of Ages upgrade let's you do it.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Decus posted:

You need a level 3 Oak of Ages.

e;fb

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So, I've managed to finish the WE campaign three times now: on easy, normal and hard. Every time, it has the same basic rhythm

4) end times happens. They'll come for you, because they always do. They tend to get funnelled into the pass near Helmgart. You'll want 2-3 doomstacks for this - make sure you've got all the wine poo poo set up in Athel Loren for upkeep. Kill 'em, save the world.
5) go through and build outposts everywhere that's been burnt. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STAGE, WHERE 90% YOUR AMBER COMES FROM.
6) use amber, become god

I think a lot of people try to focus on conquest, when it's a lot more reliable to let chaos do their thing, then sweep through and clean up afterwards. Trying to fight everybody is just gonna get the poo poo kicked out of you.
Why not use your diplomacy techs to get all your Amber from allies who haven't gotten their poo poo kicked in yet? If you do it early enough in the invasion everyone will love you but not been burned down yet, so you essentially race your Oak-building against their invasion. Fighting Norscans really builds up your appeal, money, and Amber too, both directly and indirectly by keeping the northern Empire factions alive.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Druthu with a 20 stack wrecking Norscan face is so cathartic. I've previously scorched Earth that continent with Dwarves, but with Wood Elves you can actually occupy their little shantytowns. You get a ton of ports that can fuel your economy.

I wanna know how huge of a bonus people have managed to get with those sacrificial pits. They're obviously meant to have 20+ of them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A friend of mine is having terrible load times in WH. Ingame FPS is great, but the actual loading is awful. is this a problem anyone else has had?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Im reallly loving fed up with how CA patches this game. I posted a few pages ago when the DLC unlocked, and this update forced me to do a full uninstall. SteamMover is a half-baked piece of software that errors more than it works. I had nearly 30gb free and their 'hotfix' patch couldn't fit. gently caress this is annoying. I can't imagine living in a place with lovely broadband or bandwidth caps, I'd be locked out of my software in that case

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dandywalken posted:

A friend of mine is having terrible load times in WH. Ingame FPS is great, but the actual loading is awful. is this a problem anyone else has had?

When I first load up my save and when I first load the battle screen is slow as gently caress, after that it's fine.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally got a semi-successful WE mini-campaign off the ground, due primarily to enemies actually leaving their settlements to attack me when they've declared war for once. Suicidal bastards. I own a cozy pocket of the interior forest with a nice buffer between me and the Brets (including Durthu). So far I've just been taking the territory of people who declare on my allies, no drama.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
If you wanna make paper with Welf Outposts, you need to take over territories with access to the sea. The ports bring in the ducats.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can anyone suggest addons to make the battles longer?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Today I was thinking about hilariously amazing a massive multiplayer Grand Campaign would be. You couldn't rely on conventional strategies because humans are both far more cunning and yet far more fallible than the AI. But some factions would be utterly hosed; I can't imagine how much it would suck to be Empire, for example, since you'd get your poo poo kicked in from multiple directions. Meanwhile Beastmen would be like friggin Pancho Villa, popping up right when someone reoccupied a ruins, left a settlement, or barely fought off an insurrection.

Of course the nature of playing out all the battles would mean it would take forever, but at the same time most human players aren't the gosu 10000 APM micromanagement lords that the AI is capable of being.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Why not use your diplomacy techs to get all your Amber from allies who haven't gotten their poo poo kicked in yet? If you do it early enough in the invasion everyone will love you but not been burned down yet, so you essentially race your Oak-building against their invasion. Fighting Norscans really builds up your appeal, money, and Amber too, both directly and indirectly by keeping the northern Empire factions alive.
Inevitably, some of your allies are gonna declare war on your other allies and force you break treaties, which makes you less trustworthy, which has a knockon effect that makes diplomacy much harder. Having a few full alliances is fine, but too many are gonna bite you in the rear end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inevitably, some of your allies are gonna declare war on your other allies and force you break treaties, which makes you less trustworthy, which has a knockon effect that makes diplomacy much harder. Having a few full alliances is fine, but too many are gonna bite you in the rear end.
I've never had this happen during the End Times as long as you're careful with who you pick in the first place.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Once you unlock all the diplomacy upgrades you are looking at +70 diplomacy on top of whatever other good deeds you have done with that faction.

If anything, it makes Wood Elves fun because you can either go the diplomacy angle or just wreck everybody's faces, whichever you prefer.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

The trustworthiness penalty is temporary and goes away over time. It's not a permanent malus, and shouldn't discourage you from making friends with everyone you can.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, can I get some tips on playing beastmen? I've tried starting twice as One-Eye and it feels like no matter what when I start to feel comfortable enough to build a 2nd stack either a pair of Welf doomstacks or a loving Empire doomstack swoops in and destroys me. What should I be doing in my first turns? Should I just be targetting weaker settlements and leaving siege battles alone? Any help is appreciated.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
sorry about this, but does anyone have a link to that "that's a grudgin' " image from way back in the thread? I can't remember anywhere near what page it was on

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice, just picked up the 'Kill 100,000 enemies in battle' achievement.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

Once you unlock all the diplomacy upgrades you are looking at +70 diplomacy on top of whatever other good deeds you have done with that faction.

If anything, it makes Wood Elves fun because you can either go the diplomacy angle or just wreck everybody's faces, whichever you prefer.

Apart from sending a Waywatcher in for discovery purposes, there's no reason to set foot west of the forest as the Elves. You can have defensive alliances and firm handshake agreements with every Brettonian without any real effort before turn 30. The Lady in the Lake is a powerful Elf.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Is there a decent mod that tweaks the AI's army composition? For some reason the Empire's AI really loves recruiting Flagellants. I'm facing entire stacks of them with maybe - if I'm lucky - a lost units of swordsmen thrown in.
Also anyone know of a good mod that overhauls magic a bit? Buff and debuff spells seem okay, but the direct-damage spells feel rather weak. I'm playing with the largest unit size and apparently those spells were balanced for lower sizes? I'm not looking for something that lets me wipe out entire units with a spell, but them having a bit more punch to them would be nice.
And while I'm on the subject of mods: Any good mods in general that worth checking out?

For some weird reason the game doesn't close properly. After I quit the game, there's still a "Total War: Warhammer" process running that have I close via the windows task manager. Is there a fix for that?

And one more question: How do Heroes' skills work while embedded in an army? For example the Banshee's Watcher skill. Does that work automatically, or do I have to move the Banshee out of the army and preform that action onto the army?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 16, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Raygereio posted:

Is there a decent mod that tweaks the AI's army composition? For some reason the Empire's AI really loves recruiting Flagellants. I'm facing entire stacks of them with maybe - if I'm lucky - a lost units of swordsmen thrown in.
Also anyone know of a good mod that overhauls magic a bit? Buff and debuff spells seem okay, but the direct-damage spells feel rather weak. I'm playing with the largest unit size and apparently those spells were balanced for lower sizes? I'm not looking for something that lets me wipe out entire units with a spell, but them having a bit more punch to them would be nice.
And while I'm on the subject of mods: Any good mods in general that worth checking out?

For some weird reason the game doesn't close properly. After I quit the game, there's still a "Total War: Warhammer" process running that have I close via the windows task manager. Is there a fix for that?

And one more question: How do Heroes' skills work while embedded in an army? For example the Banshee's Watcher skill. Does that work automatically, or do I have to move the Banshee out of the army and preform that action onto the army?

The AI is normally pretty good about army composition, with a few provisos. First, it only trains what it can and doesn't disband units once better are available (this is why early-game Empire armies are often filled with Free Company Militia); second, it seems to value higher-tier units more than others, which leads to a lot of Flagellant usage instead of Swordsmen once they're available. I'm not sure about mods, I've just lived with it myself, although it gets annoying sometimes (my most consistent bugbear is AI Bretonnia having armies of cavalry only because they often don't build the infantry recruitment building in their starting province).

Damage spells are variable; some of them are actually pretty powerful, particularly in specific circumstances. As a general rule, projectile and vortex spells have more noticeable effect (often to the point of 50+ kills per cast) than direct damage spells do. My new favourite is the Penumbral Pendulum spell in the Lore of Shadows, which has got me 150 kills with a single cast against an already-engaged enemy line.

The only mod I actually use at the moment is the Less Blood And Gore one, which keeps things bloody but no longer makes units entirely red after they've spent 15 seconds in combat. I like being able to see the pretty texture work of the actual units underneath the blood.

The game not closing properly seems to be an inconsistent but longstanding bug. Rome 2 and Attila had the same issue sometimes. I don't usually get it with TW:W but it has happened to me.

Heroes' army-embed skills work without you doing anything. Just embedding them in the army is enough to make those skills active.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Arena Team – Total War: ARENA
We were very pleased last month to announce that we’d be partnering up with Wargaming.net on Total War: ARENA, our free-to-play massed battle strategy game. It means we can go bigger with our aspirations for the project and bring our multiplayer-focused game to the largest possible audience.

The team have spent the last few months doing a huge amount under the hood with some fundamental mechanic changes. The series of closed Alpha tests we’ll be running over the coming months with the biggest players from previous tests are all the more important as a result, and will be a huge help in settling those new mechanics down and eventually introducing new Commanders and maps.

Wargaming will now be communicating all the latest news on ARENA, so while you’ll find all the big events here on our Total War sites and social media, you should head over to the Total War: ARENA Facebook Page and Wargaming’s official ARENA homepage for up-to-the-minute news.

Digital Team – Total War Battles: KINGDOM
As part of our vision for TWB: KINGDOM to be a Total War for everyone, everywhere, you can now play through Facebook, adding yet another way for you to access your Kingdom.

The team have also recently updated their previous game, Total War Battles: SHOGUN, to 1.5. An HD enhanced version, this update adds a bunch of visual tweaks to make more of recent hardware, including real-time dynamic shadows and post-processing filters, really elevating an already gorgeous-looking game. iPad Pro for Christmas please if you’re reading Santa…

Also in the mobile world, our good friends at Feral have released ROME: Total War on iPad, and it’s seeing some great reviews, if you haven’t checked it out yet, you can see some footage here.

Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
With production getting fully underway in the new year, pre-production for our next historical major release continues. Also, we have now partnered with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far. Unfortunately there’s nothing more to report this month that wouldn’t give the game away before we’re ready

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal.

In related news, we’ve recently been looking at ways in which we might get back to historical content before we release the next major historical Total War, in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles. Nothing decided yet though.

New Content Team – Total War: WARHAMMER DLC and Free-LC
We hope you’re enjoying the recently released ‘Realm of the Wood Elves’, certainly now one of our most popular DLCs to date. While work’s been on-going with the designers for a while now on Bretonnia, everyone in the New Content Team will be moving on from Wood Elves to finalise that Race Pack for release alongside the Old World Edition in the new year.

On the future side, there’s a lot of discussions being had and scheduling being done around our plans for the second WARHAMMER game’s DLC, Free-LC and not to mention the early-adopter bonus, which will be one of the next things the team moves on to as we get into next year.

Warhammer Team –Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy
The sequel is now in full production, with the majority of CA staff on Total War working through the huge content plan for the second part of the trilogy. In the last few months, the art and animation teams have been decking the studio’s walls with incredible renders of our new models, and sending around vids of jaw-dropping animations.

The newest "What we're working on" update from CA. Interesting that they're thinking about throwing out some historical DLC for older games as filler, it's kinda unprecedented from them.

The new content team already starting to move on to the pre-order DLC for the next game in the trilogy and planning out DLC for it probably means the Old World really is pretty much done after Bretts come out and we might not be that far from an official announcement on the next game.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dandywalken posted:

A solid state drive is practically a requirement for Hams. If hes using an SSD and its still terrible it it may be worth running the data verification tool steam has, or uninstalling and reinstalling. After that I'd say RAM, or the SSD is failing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ammanas posted:

Im reallly loving fed up with how CA patches this game. I posted a few pages ago when the DLC unlocked, and this update forced me to do a full uninstall. SteamMover is a half-baked piece of software that errors more than it works. I had nearly 30gb free and their 'hotfix' patch couldn't fit. gently caress this is annoying. I can't imagine living in a place with lovely broadband or bandwidth caps, I'd be locked out of my software in that case

I agree but with less rage. I have 65GB partitioned on my SSD and im getting worried. I had to uninstall every other game in order to patch Total Warhammer

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

They make big cheap SSDs now guys.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rygar201 posted:

Games are pretty big too, and I don't think my 2 TB of SSD space is normal. I've filled up 1 TB pretty casually once I started paying less attention to which drive games went onto.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have a 250gb and a 180gb ssd. I still don't have enough space for all the games. :(

I just put games that I play less on the platter drives.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

madmac posted:

The newest "What we're working on" update from CA. Interesting that they're thinking about throwing out some historical DLC for older games as filler, it's kinda unprecedented from them.

The new content team already starting to move on to the pre-order DLC for the next game in the trilogy and planning out DLC for it probably means the Old World really is pretty much done after Bretts come out and we might not be that far from an official announcement on the next game.

My guess is that game 2 is probably going to be High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardmen/Skaven with Daemons of Chaos, Skaven in the old world (pre-order bonus?), and Greenskin or Vampire pirates being the post release DLCs.

Game 3 will be a return to the badlands and the surrounding areas, Consisting of Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Ogres clans, Dwarves, and Greenskins with Nagash's vampire apocalypse being the endgame. At that point all the 'major' races are pretty much accounted for and you could do DLC for Araby, Border Princes and some of the separate-ish subfactions, including Ogre mercenaries for all the other races.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 16, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Southpaugh posted:

A solid state drive is practically a requirement for Hams. If hes using an SSD and its still terrible it it may be worth running the data verification tool steam has, or uninstalling and reinstalling. After that I'd say RAM, or the SSD is failing.

Gonna let him know this. He said his hd was almost full, and since its not an SSD that's probably what hosed him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nice, a map that's just a 45 degree slope covered in trees.

Thank gently caress the autoresolve is completely in my favour.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
That map has to have been made by someone who hates people and wants to see them suffer. It's the worst.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Rygar201 posted:

That's great... Just annoyed that to patch my game I have to download it all over again, with no option to change the download directory vs the install directory.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is that game 2 is probably going to be High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardmen/Skaven with Daemons of Chaos, Skaven in the old world (pre-order bonus?), and Greenskin or Vampire pirates being the post release DLCs.

Game 3 will be a return to the badlands and the surrounding areas, Consisting of Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Ogres clans, Dwarves, and Greenskins with Nagash's vampire apocalypse being the endgame. At that point all the 'major' races are pretty much accounted for and you could do DLC for Araby, Border Princes and some of the separate-ish subfactions, including Ogre mercenaries for all the other races.

It'd be cool if CA added in a Neferata campaign styled after the King in the Warlord where she travels from her lair up north to reclaim Lahmia from the Tomb Kings. They'd need to rework how regional occupation works by then though, because her current home base is in an old dwarf settlement near Karak Ungor.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Exmond posted:

That's great... Just annoyed that to patch my game I have to download it all over again, with no option to change the download directory vs the install directory.

Yeah, that always struck me as the easy fix that steam could implement. Just let us specify a temp directory for downloading and then do the merge as per normal.

edit: Actually, never tested this, but would that essentially be the case if you installed steam to your HDD but the game to your SSD?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fnordcircle posted:

That map has to have been made by someone who hates people and wants to see them suffer. It's the worst.

They really need a 'disable all foliage' option. Leave the stumps or shadows so I know where the forest is, but let me see what is going on.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Decus posted:

Yeah, that always struck me as the easy fix that steam could implement. Just let us specify a temp directory for downloading and then do the merge as per normal.

edit: Actually, never tested this, but would that essentially be the case if you installed steam to your HDD but the game to your SSD?

Sadly no, im in the exact situation. Steam is insalled on my HDD, Ive specified that Total war is installed on my SSD. All updates to Total War get downloaded to my SSD.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

It's actually not too difficult to move a game from one HD to another. Steam just doesn't give you any kind of UI to do it from within Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They really need a 'disable all foliage' option. Leave the stumps or shadows so I know where the forest is, but let me see what is going on.

Get rid of it all and make "forest" a different colour as if it were water or something.

• Locked thread