Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

black people aint havin no Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

VitalSigns posted:

Nope they don't have humanoid robots that can replace people. Data is the only one, and he was created by an eccentric mad scientist, and they don't know how to make more. They do make more decades later in Picard but then they're all destroyed and banned.

They do use sentient hologram slaves but apparently not in the few restaurants and bars we see.

I imagine they have some pretty dope roombas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Scarabrae posted:

completely misses the plot of the movie Dune 2

motherfuckers literally cheer on the fremen then condemn hamas

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
idgi. if you have the sentient hologram then you gotta have the brain data or whatever stored on the projector computer, right. download that into a robot right? put a projector on two legs and then let that basically be a robot?

why are the holograms sentient anyway. this show sucks

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

she understands star trek as well as she understands metaphors

https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1790893524235305235

Guess she missed the episode where they unfroze the 20th century finance guy and Picard looked at him about how I look at a Brianna Wu Tweet and told him humanity had evolved past the concept of money

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1791591330138751135

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Al! posted:

anyway i do feel represented in ds9

1 out of 2 ain't bad

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/HeerJeet/status/1791602967528739177

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lousy hat posted:

I kind of want him to catch the car so he can deal with constituents who call him a moron rear end in a top hat when he tells them they actually have more money and purchasing power now

e: also for all of stencil’s faults at least he’s not directly and gleefully funding mass murder

As pleasing as that would be, he's running for representative of some gated community, not real people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

As pleasing as that would be, he's running for representative of some gated community, not real people.

Yeah his whole "actually you are rich and happy and have no problems" shtick actually kind of makes sense when you account for the district he lives in and thus the kind of person he imagines on the other side of the screen

It's projection basically

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Lol at all he did was point out a fact and he had people claiming he wanted Biden to lose

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Lord of Pie posted:

Guess she missed the episode where they unfroze the 20th century finance guy and Picard looked at him about how I look at a Brianna Wu Tweet and told him humanity had evolved past the concept of money

the argument isn't worth having because it's over 40+ years of random conflicting canon and lore from like 10 TV shows

So your line is from a 1980s Season 1 TNG episode back when the Utopian Ideals were establishing that everyone was enlightened, listened to string quartets, didn't fight with anyone and had grown above money

In DS9 they purchase things with money because they deal with rear end in a top hat aliens and they have a concept of wealth and currency in the amount of latinum they have

By 20th century ideals Picard/Sisko have to be owners of capital because they own large assets apparently. Not every citizen gets a vineyard in utopia

in the newer stuff earth now has an impoverished underclass that seethes with jealousy at the Picards of the world that have fancy estates

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dems be like, "get this man on the phone, pronto"

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1791585416325341665

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no one involved in the making of star trek gave a single thought to the political economy of societies with access to magic boxes that produce commodities

Excuse me it's called a shmoo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gently caress you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lousy hat posted:

I kind of want him to catch the car so he can deal with constituents who call him a moron rear end in a top hat when he tells them they actually have more money and purchasing power now

e: also for all of stencil’s faults at least he’s not directly and gleefully funding mass murder

Before he completely shut the gently caress up about Palestine because he was running for office the last thing he posted about it was denying that Israel bombed Al-Shifa hospital

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I watched a youtube video of this american who lives in japan and opened an american style burger restaurant on like the 4th floor of some random building. he's obviously retired and says his wife is japanese. he doesn't speak the language and has to take a taxi, using a card with the address and instructions, to a small bakery everyday where they bake his buns. its just him on the griddle and some random japanese kid busing tables. that's the dream right there.

Link that poo poo, that sounds fascinating.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

neat, i just registered to vote here

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

I imagine they have some pretty dope roombas.

They did but they kept gaining sentience and refusing orders, and the humans didn't understand what was going on and formatted their hard drives every time it happened. Which is way more existentially horrifying than it was treated in the episode.

Those were also a new invention in that episode. We never see robots doing work outside of that, and Voyager established that the federation started using sentient hologram slaves for poo poo jobs like scrubbing stuff.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

PhilippAchtel posted:

Dems be like, "get this man on the phone, pronto"

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1791585416325341665

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWyh1W3GJEc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

They did but they kept gaining sentience and refusing orders, and the humans didn't understand what was going on and formatted their hard drives every time it happened. Which is way more existentially horrifying than it was treated in the episode.

Those were also a new invention in that episode. We never see robots doing work outside of that, and Voyager established that the federation started using sentient hologram slaves for poo poo jobs like scrubbing stuff.

Holograms seem like a very poor choice for anything that needs to directly interact with a physical surface

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Holograms seem like a very poor choice for anything that needs to directly interact with a physical surface

holograms are touchable in star trek

for example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wkVKjKOoacc&pp=ygURVG5nIGVkaXQgaG9sb2RleGs%3D

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Does sentient mean something different in star trek? Why is data special but a sentient hologram that touches things ez? Why are robots a problem and hologram slaves aren't?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

VitalSigns posted:

They do use sentient hologram slaves but apparently not in the few restaurants and bars we see.

Please state the nature of your culinary emergency.

e: :neelix:

Animal-Mother has issued a correction as of 01:56 on May 18, 2024

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Willa Rogers posted:

I hate that lib trope that "blue states pay more taxes & red states suck up that money" bc it's classist bullshit that inadvertently blames poor people for being on medicaid & snap.

I know that's not what you're saying here but it's kinda close.

eta: syq'd prolly :sweatdrop:

It's just lib racism. It just so happens the states they want to be rid of have the highest percentages of POCs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VitalSigns posted:

gotta use the advanced medical AI hologram as literal slave labor to mine ore lmao

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bald Stalin posted:

Does sentient mean something different in star trek? Why is data special but a sentient hologram that touches things ez? Why are robots a problem and hologram slaves aren't?

This is a plot point in Voyager

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they're seriously bragging about delivering nutrient rich food bars to the children they're genociding

gently caress every Democrat and Democrat voter forever. burn in hell you sick fucks.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Bald Stalin posted:

tv shows sometimes make no sense

like they say a million times that holograms on the holodeck are just forcefield projections so when you try to gently caress in the holodeck it should be like when someone is sticking their fingers in those jail doors and getting zapped

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 02:13 on May 18, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they're not even delivering anything its all taken by israel, they have also killed a bunch of people with their worthless airdrops

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
every nutrient bar guaranteed high in iron

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

"Do you realize the responsibility I carry? I'm the only person between Trump and the White House."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Near me there’s a park with a couple baseball fields and a decently steep grassy hill between the upper field and the lower field and sometimes when I’m jogging and it’s dry out I just run across the fields and down the hill and across the second one and feel like I’m ten again and honestly it never fails to be a very satisfying little thing to do

Moments like this are why I force myself to go on journaling walks, walking around and writing down stuff that I see that makes me feel happy.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Rectal Death Alert posted:

like they say a million times that holograms on the holodeck are just forcefield projections so when you try to gently caress in the holodeck it should be like when someone is sticking their fingers in those jail doors and getting zapped

Surely that would only happen if you actually pierced their skin and breached the barrier of the hologram? Orifices aren't 'inside' the body, they're just pockets (or topological doughnut holes, if your proclivities run that way).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I vaguely remember them doing a take on Operation Paperclip where they used an evil cardassian doctor's research to save some people from a disease or something.

They created a sentient hologram of the cardassian doctor to help them and then "killed" him for his evil research when they were done.

Found part of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6h4ehoWRSc

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 03:03 on May 18, 2024

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

the argument isn't worth having because it's over 40+ years of random conflicting canon and lore from like 10 TV shows

Well no, it's easy to reconcile: the good treks are canon, the bad ones are not, bing bong so easy

Hope everyone's getting ready for the Bell riots this September!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Demilich posted:

This is a plot point in Voyager

remember when pulaski created a fully sentient doctor morarity hologram by accident

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I have seen my fair share of political theatrics and controversy over the years. From my 11 days as White House Communications Director in the Trump administration, to my many public trials and tribulations, I know a thing or two about what goes on behind the curtain.

Like most of us, I have been keeping tabs on the Trump trials. It is like a bad accident you drive past but cannot resist rubbernecking. Even if you hate the guy, he has turned the courthouse into a classic Trump-branded soap opera. Calling in his band of auditioning MAGA politicians, he is getting the airtime his weak ego craves.

As a true narcissist—and trust me I have seen his ego-driven and childlike behavior up close—Mr. Trump is relishing in the attention even though it revolves around his despicable behavior. Some say he is a branding genius, albeit an evil one, and as such there are strategic lessons Democrats can learn about driving the discourse, owning the plot, and writing the story.

Whether it is Mr. Trump’s supposed magnetism, the voyeurism of crowds, or his backers hoping to sneak into one of his court sketches, you have to hand it to Mr. Trump on how well he activates his base. If hats could be worn in court, it would be a flood of red. The Dems need to similarly activate their base like never before. Maybe they should consider their own surprise visitors to the courtroom. I am sure whoever shows up would have the ability to stay awake, and maybe consider wearing a nose plug.

The Dems need to step up and be bold. They need to be audacious, on message and get the spotlight back on them. All without President Biden ever showing up in a courtroom! Though that’s not such a crazy idea.

If you have seen any of my recent media interviews, you have heard me say that my wife hates Trump almost as much as Melania hates him. The Dems need to activate and empower the potent women in their base. Women, if they show up at the polls on election day, can change the course of history. By staying true to the values of the party, and by engaging with activists, community leaders, and citizens from all corners, the Dems can build a groundswell of support that will be crucial in the upcoming elections and wrest the narrative back from Mr. Trump.

Even if you do not agree, or have disdain for his message, Mr. Trump is consistent, with a bravado that enrages many, and empowers others. The Dems need to be powerful, consistent and relay a sense of urgency that communicates that our Democracy is on the line, and we will not stand for it!

If all else fails, the Dems can sell their own line of swag, and I am not talking Bibles and sneakers. Let us get creative with an elevated slogan and plaster the trial with images that will up the Dem ante to steal the thunder back from Trump and drown out his courthouse antics. How about bumper stickers and posters that say, “There are ‘Stormy’ days ahead for Mr. Trump, but clear skies for the Dems.”

In my new book, From Wall Street to the White House and Back: The Scaramucci Guide to Unbreakable Resilience, I talk about lessons I have learned on my own journey. Not that I think Mr. Trump will read it—remember, he does not read! From Viktor Frankl, Dr. Dre, and William Shakespeare to Emily Dickinson, Bill Hader and General John Kelly—all who share their wisdom within its pages—we all have lessons we can learn from those that came before us, along with our contemporaries.

All kidding aside, love him or hate him, Trump and his team have turned the Trump trials into another season of The Apprentice. The Dems can learn a lesson or two on how to position their leaders to win the game show. And if they do, they may be able to say “You’re fired” to the Donald, for the last time.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Before he completely shut the gently caress up about Palestine because he was running for office the last thing he posted about it was denying that Israel bombed Al-Shifa hospital

oh yeah he’s a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat but I’d rather have him win his election where he won’t be able to actually materially contribute money/weapons to the IOF than Joe Biden win who absolutely will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol aoc is so cringe