Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

What would be a good place to go next? I'm thinking maybe The Player or to go outside the Criterion collection maybe The Long Goodbye. Do Short Cuts and Nashville live up to the hype?

The only problem with starting with Nashville is that every subsequent film you watch will seem lesser by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cool, so based on my personal taste I'm gonna go with The Long Goodbye next, and then I'll probably pick up Nashville at the next sale. Thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He had a lot of hits and Nashville is certainly one of them, but Short Cuts is hands down my favorite.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Once you get through Long Goodbye (my favourite movie ever) and perhaps The Player and Nashville, see if you can find California Split. It's so good, and I hope the music rights get figured out so a proper Blu happens.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Robert Altman film I had to see as soon as I found out it existed, based on the premise alone, was Quintet, of all things. It's not good, but it's one of those interesting, memorable failures that I'm glad I watched.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I assume everyone here has seen Popeye.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Popeye is incredible if just for the fact that there will never be as perfect casting as Shelley Duvall and Robin Williams.

Also, Robert Altman was the perfect choice for director considering the Fleischer cartoons were all about overlapping dialogue and ad-libbing (most of the dialogue was recorded after animation).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, it made perfect use of Harry Nilsson, which gave us that wonderful Hawaii scene in Punch-Drunk love.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Popeye sort of annoys me but it's such a sincere and quaint movie, weirdly absorbing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I assume everyone here has seen Popeye.

I actually just watched it for the first time this weekend, it’s wild-rear end

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How’s the Barry Lyndon blu-ray? It’s about time I upgrade from the ancient snapcase dvd.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I mean, think about the question you asked and the sentence you followed it with.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

How’s the Barry Lyndon blu-ray? It’s about time I upgrade from the ancient snapcase dvd.

One of their best releases ever.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Definitely! To be less sassy, it's 100% worth a purchase.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

July releases are up:

Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood (Josef Von Sternberg) #930, Jul 3
- Morocco
- Dishonored
- Shanghai Express
- Blonde Venus
- The Scarlet Empress
- The Devil is a Woman
  • New 2K or 4K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New interviews with film scholars Janet Bergstrom and Homay King; director Josef von Sternberg’s son, Nicholas; Deutsche Kinemathek curator Silke Ronneburg; and costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis
  • New documentary about actor Marlene Dietrich’s German origins, featuring film scholars Gerd Gemünden and Noah Isenberg
  • New documentary on Dietrich’s status as a feminist icon, featuring film scholars Mary Desjardins, Amy Lawrence, and Patricia White
  • The Legionnaire and the Lady, a 1936 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Morocco, featuring Dietrich and actor Clark Gable
  • New video essay by critics Adrian Martin and Cristina Álvarez López
  • The Fashion Side of Hollywood, a 1935 publicity short featuring Dietrich and costume designer Travis Banton
  • Television interview with Dietrich from 1971
  • PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton) #936, Jul 10
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ron Shelton, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS‑HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Two audio commentaries featuring Shelton and actors Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins
  • New conversation between Shelton and film critic Michael Sragow
  • Between the Lines: The Making of “Bull Durham,” a 2002 program featuring interviews with cast and crew, including Shelton, Costner, Robbins, and actor Susan Sarandon
  • The Greatest Show on Dirt, a 2008 appreciation of the film featuring former players, broadcasters, and sports-film aficionados
  • NBC Nightly News piece from 1993 on the final season of baseball at Durham Athletic Park, where Bull Durham takes place and was shot
  • Interview with Max Patkin, known as the Clown Prince of Baseball, from a 1991 episode of NBC’s Today
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: Excerpts from a 1989 piece by longtime New Yorker baseball writer Roger Angell, with new comments from the author

Dragon Inn (King Hu) #937, Jul 10
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Hua Hui-ying, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with actor Shangkuan Ling-fung
  • Interview from 2016 with actor Shih Chun
  • Scene analysis by author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
  • Newsreel footage of the film’s 1967 premiere in Taipei, Taiwan
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Andrew Chan

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Steven Soderbergh) #938, Jul 17
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Steven Soderbergh, with 5.1 surround DTS‑HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1998 featuring director Steven Soderbergh in conversation with filmmaker Neil LaBute
  • New program by Soderbergh, featuring responses to questions sent in by fans
  • Interviews with Soderbergh from 1990 and 1992
  • New documentary about the making of the film featuring actors Peter Gallagher, Andie MacDowell, and Laura San Giacomo
  • New conversation with composer Cliff Martinez and supervising sound editor Larry Blake
  • Deleted scene with commentary by Soderbergh
  • Trailers
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin and, in the Blu-ray release, excerpts from Soderbergh’s diaries written at the time of the film’s production

A Matter of Life and Death (Powell & Pressburger) #939, Jul 24
  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2009 featuring film scholar Ian Christie
  • New interview with editor Thelma Schoonmaker, director Michael Powell’s widow
  • New interview with film historian Craig Barron on the film’s visual effects and production design
  • Interview from 2009 with filmmaker Martin Scorsese
  • The Colour Merchant, a 1998 short film by Craig McCall featuring cinematographer Jack Cardiff
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 16, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really like that A Matter of Life and Death cover

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sternberg/Dietrich, Sex Lies and Videotape, and A Matter of Lifeand Death are must haves. And during the B&N sale. :woop:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It's a very good month of releases. All of them are a must-watch except maybe Bull Durham. Dragon Inn is pretty much a perfect martial arts movie. And the extras are all different from the Masters of Cinema release, hopefully they go up on Filmstruck I really shouldn't double dip.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Dragon Inn (King Hu) #937, Jul 10
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Hua Hui-ying, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with actor Shangkuan Ling-fung
  • Interview from 2016 with actor Shih Chun
  • Scene analysis by author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
  • Newsreel footage of the film’s 1967 premiere in Taipei, Taiwan
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Andrew Chan

loving FINALLY

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

That Dietrich/Von Sternberg box set is by far the gem of this month. Hope I can get it on sale during July at B&N. I almost never buy physical movies anymore but I'm all about that one.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

FancyMike posted:

All of them are a must-watch except maybe Bull Durham.

How dare you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Any Powell & Pressburger is 100% worth blind-buying, but A Matter of Life and Death is just sublime.

"One is starved for Technicolor up there..."

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Well, we can keep our fingers crossed that Criterion fixes the colour scheme on Dragon Inn. I don't think it's very likely, though.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I've been waiting for them to release A Matter of Life and Death ever since I first watched their DVD of Colonel Blimp over fifteen years ago. This is an emotional day for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Any Powell & Pressburger is 100% worth blind-buying, but A Matter of Life and Death is just sublime.

"One is starved for Technicolor up there..."

I love Technicolor and I've never seen a Powell & Pressburger film. Would The Red Shoes be a good place to start?

Edit: Also, thanks to recommendations in here I made sure to watch Altman's The Long Goodbye ASAP. Great, great film, which I expected, but holy poo poo that ending! Definitely didn't see it coming but Gould completely owns that scene and I love how he spits after he does it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 17, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I made a post in GenChat about being surprised during blind viewings of classic films and that loving scene with the gangster's wife is one of them. Also Arnie!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Bull Durham is the greatest film about baseball, and I'm going to buy copies for both myself and my father.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Well, we can keep our fingers crossed that Criterion fixes the colour scheme on Dragon Inn. I don't think it's very likely, though.

They're not going to touch the colors. The cinematographer was involved in the restoration and it's the same one Eureka released back in 2015. A Touch of Zen has some of the same color complaints from the blu-ray.com forum types and they didn't touch that one, the Criterion and Eureka discs are pretty much identical. For what it's worth I didn't notice anything wrong while watching either movie and think they both look great with the new restorations.

Related, Amazon has pre-orders for Kino's release of King Hu's Legend of the Mountain up at $13.25. It's a fantastic movie and the new restoration looks very good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What can one expect from a Von Sternberg film?

E: also, is Dragon Inn related to A Touch of Zen?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Same writer/director, King Hu and they're both wuxia movies. Dragon Inn was his first movie after leaving Hong Kong for Taiwan following a falling out with the Shaw Brothers over his film Come Drink With Me. It's pretty straightforward as an action movie, but is still incredibly good. A Touch of Zen stretches the genre into new and exciting places and has one of the best third act turns ever.

Hopefully they keep up with these restorations I'd love to be able to buy new blu-rays of The Fate of Lee Khan, Raining in the Mountain, or The Valiant Ones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What can one expect from a Von Sternberg film?

Sternberg = incredible lighting and composition in every single shot, almost like a Rembrandt painting

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Basebf555 posted:

I love Technicolor and I've never seen a Powell & Pressburger film. Would The Red Shoes be a good place to start?

The Red Shoes is amazing, and although the music is great I'm bummed Ralph Vaughan-Williams dropped out from writing it, I think I remember reading, that would have owned.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The movie still owns though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: Also, thanks to recommendations in here I made sure to watch Altman's The Long Goodbye ASAP. Great, great film, which I expected, but holy poo poo that ending! Definitely didn't see it coming but Gould completely owns that scene and I love how he spits after he does it.

The Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death, Black Narcissus, take your pick they're all phenomenal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's also Peeping Tom, though Powell went solo on that one IIRC.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

There's also Peeping Tom, though Powell went solo on that one IIRC.

Seen that actually, I'm a horror fanatic. I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea it was the same Powell though, shame about what happened to his career after that though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Red Shoes is amazing, and although the music is great I'm bummed Ralph Vaughan-Williams dropped out from writing it, I think I remember reading, that would have owned.

Brian Easdale's score is perfection. I'll listen to just the 15 minute ballet segment sometimes because it's probably the finest sustained piece of film music ever composed and every bit as great as something like Vaughan-Williams' best work.

Easdale's minimalistic piano score for Peeping Tom is perfection, too. I like how the two best horror films of 1960 went for simple, but profound scores that added to the scariness.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Didnt know Easedale did the Peeping Tom score too, another great movie. I remember the commentary on it being above par too.

Tho for British classical compositions I gotta go with Arthur Benjamins Storm Cloud Cantata from both The Man Who Knew Too Muches. Iirc for the remake Hitchcock offered Bernard Herman to make a new one but he said the original was good enough.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So is there a reason that the CC editions of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and The Terror of Mechagodzilla are the dubs? Because Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla, and Godzilla raids again are not. This is through Filmstruck anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Didnt know Easedale did the Peeping Tom score too, another great movie. I remember the commentary on it being above par too.

Tho for British classical compositions I gotta go with Arthur Benjamins Storm Cloud Cantata from both The Man Who Knew Too Muches. Iirc for the remake Hitchcock offered Bernard Herman to make a new one but he said the original was good enough.

I originally saw Peeping Tom as part of a film theory class, which was fun. It has so many levels between the way it questions the filmmaker's role in film violence or the male gaze as a literal camera. It's the sort of film that's like walking into a hall of mirrors because it even asks whether the audience is complicit in watching a character be murdered. People were horrified by the film because it was too honest about the nature of violence against women. Michael Powell should have been knighted for making the most honest film about murder rather than run out of the business.

While it gets compared to Psycho most often, it would make a great double-feature with Bogdanovich's Targets.