Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Open all the time with three exceptions:

1. If I get too hot. 90+ degrees

2. If I get sick of the visor whistling, it's much quieter closed.

3. I think I might get hit with something. This includes rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I leave mine cracked almost all the time, then again it's hot as loving balls here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Open if it's warm and I'm riding mostly under 35mph, because I can hear the cars around me just a little better that way, and the breeze is pleasant.

Closed if it's cold or if I'm going above 35mph, for obvious reasons.

I really feel cool when I'm riding along at 35 or so in traffic with the visor open, and then the road widens or the speed limit increases or whatever, and I snap the visor down with a click and crank the throttle open and zoom (okay, accelerate briskly) away.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

My visor is open under 60km/h, any higher and I close it and it doesn't really get opened again on a trip unless I'm feeling figety or something. My current helmet doesn't fog up or anything so I have no reason to open it aside from just having it a bit different.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My visor is closed all the time, except at traffic lights when it's a bit hot or when my glasses are a bit fogged up.

I've had stones thrown in my face before and it's not nice. Projectiles going that fast can do some serious damage to my eyes so I'm not keen on taking the risk.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
It has never occurred to me to open my visor at lights. I will crack the visor if fogging is an issue but that's it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sometimes I open it, sometimes I close it, sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

In other news: Heated Grips Are loving Lush

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The chin vent control on my lid is weird and stupid, because although it can be pushed up to crack the visor open a tiny amount (just right for defogging on cold days without freezing your face off) by doing that you close the chin vents meaning it fogs up much easier.

Other than that I ride with the visor closed all the time and only really have fogging problems on very cold days - I have some antifogging spray that I use on my visor and glasses for those days (only problem is after a day or two it gets sticky and starts picking up dirt so it has to be cleaned off and reapplied).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I keep my visor closed unless I'm stopped. I can deal with the fogging on cold mornings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mine is usually open just a crack. Enough to give airflow but still stop the bees.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/379348-givi-twinkie-bag-have-gun-will-travel.html

quote:

I got the Givi Twinkie Bag from Twisted Throttle, it was on sale for $19.95
Its a 2 pocket bag that has fits on the upper part of ur leg, one strap goes around ur leg and another strap goes around ur waist. They call it a Twinkie Bag cause its just big enough to fit a pack of Twinkie Cup Cakes.
I have found its the perfect size to pack my gun, a Glock 27, I have a legal concieled permit to carry a gun, and the other pocket will carry my cell phone.
I asked my friends how it looks on me, I was worried it didn't look gay, and my friends all rushed to Twisted Throttle to buy one for themselves, cause they carry guns too. My one friend is a cop and he carries a gun too, and its considered legal to carry it on a closed case, just so nobody can see it.
I did carry my gun under my shoulder and sometimes at biker meets and biker bars I would lean over and everybody would see my gun, then some loser HD guy would ask me what kind of gun that was, my answer was always ' Its a big Fu**ing gun"
do any of you guys carry guns when you ride?

quote:

I need a gun cause I have been threatened
everybody else carries a gun and I need to defend myself

Sooo how many of you carry guns on your sport bikes?

(Jesus loving Christ.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It just isn't a wheelie unless I'm firing wildly into the air.

(I carry).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a closeted manchild, I believe everyone is out to get me and that all (daily) gun-worthy confrontations will be coming from the front with enough time to remove my gun from my twink bag, and will in no way catch me off guard unable to use my "BIG FU*KIN GUN"

PS THIS IS ME

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, begin CC and gun law derail. Sorry.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So I just went on a ride and it turns out that everyone there except me and the guy who invited me are all helicopter pilots at the airport I used to flight instruct at. Is it just me or does this sort of stuff happen a lot with motorcycles?

Also, we managed to have 3 guys on a 6-7 person ride show up in full leathers in one of the most anti atgatt states known to man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

I asked my friends how it looks on me, I was worried it didn't look gay
I'm not quite sure if that's what he meant, but I like the way it came out :allears:

KodiakRS posted:

So I just went on a ride and it turns out that everyone there except me and the guy who invited me are all helicopter pilots at the airport I used to flight instruct at. Is it just me or does this sort of stuff happen a lot with motorcycles?

Also, we managed to have 3 guys on a 6-7 person ride show up in full leathers in one of the most anti atgatt states known to man.

I think there is a significant overlap between private pilots and motorcycle owners because both hobbies speak to the same impulses.

It's somewhat out of the mainstream, it's more or less purely for fun, and it's noisy and dangerous (at least in the eyes of the general public).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, begin CC and gun law derail. Sorry.

I hunt off the DRZ and I have a pack that lets me carry my rifle. Living in CA it makes me nervous as hell even though I make drat sure I'm following all the rules. I actually remove the bolt (bolt action rifle) and run a lock through the breech so it's completely inoperable without a bit of work. As a general rule any time I have a gun with me I render it almost inoperable.

I've been stopped 3 times in 3 total hunting trips, so I seem to have a 100% stoppage rate. Most cops are cool when they see how much I'm trying to follow the rules. The last one gave me crap about having my gun sock over the rifle claiming it "could" be considered a concealed weapon, even though my gun sock is labeled with "Firearm" in bright orange lettering...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I hunt off the DRZ and I have a pack that lets me carry my rifle.

Haha, that's pretty rad. I wish I could go hunting this year, but my only 'appropriately'-sized rifles are an SKS and a Mosin. :(

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Slim Pickens posted:

Haha, that's pretty rad. I wish I could go hunting this year, but my only 'appropriately'-sized rifles are an SKS and a Mosin. :(

I'm just hunting rabbits/squirrels with a .22 this year. I can't afford a bigger rifle right now, but when I can I'll start hunting hogs. When I was a kid in Georgia I had a Honda 250 with a gun scabbard and I hunted from it for years, and yes you can carry a boar/deer out on a bike with enough rope and careful riding. I NEVER got pulled over in GA, but here they love to bust balls. (I actually have seen them pull people over just leaving the local range. I don't know what pre-text they use but they're always trying to find firearm violations.)

This is the bag I use: http://www.timberhawk.com/?wpsc-product=killshot-2
The gun is held along the side unlike a lot of "scabbard" pack the put it between your back and the pack. I have to say this pack is freaking awesome and it replaced the bag I've been using for nearly 13 years the day I got it.

This is my entire kit for 3 days in the woods (this doesn't include the 5 liters of water I carry.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Don't let anyone tell you that a Mosin isn't a good hunting rifle/prybar.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hunt off the DRZ and I have a pack that lets me carry my rifle. Living in CA it makes me nervous as hell even though I make drat sure I'm following all the rules. I actually remove the bolt (bolt action rifle) and run a lock through the breech so it's completely inoperable without a bit of work. As a general rule any time I have a gun with me I render it almost inoperable.

I've been stopped 3 times in 3 total hunting trips, so I seem to have a 100% stoppage rate. Most cops are cool when they see how much I'm trying to follow the rules. The last one gave me crap about having my gun sock over the rifle claiming it "could" be considered a concealed weapon, even though my gun sock is labeled with "Firearm" in bright orange lettering...

There are some pretty cool racks for the DRZ that run along the fork that let you carry shotguns and rifles for hunting. I've actually thought about open carrying my Remington 870 on the DRZ to shoot trap a few times when the weather was particularly rideable, but I always wind up going with my car.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are some pretty cool racks for the DRZ that run along the fork that let you carry shotguns and rifles for hunting. I've actually thought about open carrying my Remington 870 on the DRZ to shoot trap a few times when the weather was particularly rideable, but I always wind up going with my car.

It would work fine with my Ithica lever action .22, but I'm using a Savage with a scope on it. I haven't found one I thought would provide adequate vibration/shock protection for the scope.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It would work fine with my Ithica lever action .22, but I'm using a Savage with a scope on it. I haven't found one I thought would provide adequate vibration/shock protection for the scope.

Perhaps you'd be interested in a match-grade .223 bolt action with bipod and scope! I am trying to get rid of mine, because I never really shoot it.

It will be cheap(ish). Hoague stock, heavy barrel etc. It's a heavy gun, but extremely precise and shooter-friendly.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Perhaps you'd be interested in a match-grade .223 bolt action with bipod and scope! I am trying to get rid of mine, because I never really shoot it.

It will be cheap(ish). Hoague stock, heavy barrel etc. It's a heavy gun, but extremely precise and shooter-friendly.

Shoot (hehehe) me a PM, I'd definitely be interested. Do you accept belly button lint as a form of payment?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

This is my entire kit for 3 days in the woods (this doesn't include the 5 liters of water I carry.)

Very disappointed this wasn't a Micromancer spread. Do you even own a thong?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There can only be one Micromancer. Unless we talk him into getting a bike...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bikromancer?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Slim Pickens posted:

If your state allows you to hunt with 9mm get a Kel-Tec Sub2K or the classy option when hunting avian lifeforms would be a breakdown Overunder 12gauge.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

Very disappointed this wasn't a Micromancer spread. Do you even own a thong?

I had to Google that, never knew that was what he was called. Do you really want a goon to answer the question of whether or not HE owns a thong>?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had to Google that, never knew that was what he was called. Do you really want a goon to answer the question of whether or not HE owns a thong>?

Here's a goonish secret: Micromancer posts in our very own TFR forum!

E: I'm probably retarded and you knew that already.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Safety Dance posted:

Here's a goonish secret: Micromancer posts in our very own TFR forum!

E: I'm probably retarded and you knew that already.

I was not aware of that! I'd seen the pictures many times before but I don't frequent TFR. I'm less of a gun guy and more of a hunter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

He's a neat guy. He runs a small hosting company, works for a radio station, and the last time I saw him, the following exchange occurred at a Waffle House:

PenisMonkey posted:

Do you have the oval platters?
The big platters?
The big plates?
Yeah, could I get 3 orders of hashbrowns with everything, no gravy.
And 4 pieces of toast.
How many come with one order of toast?
Two slices of bread?
Yeah, 4 slices of bread.
And make sure they come on an oval plate because I mix the chili in and if it's a small plate the chili flies everywhere.
No jelly.

HAILGUN

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Don't let anyone tell you that a Mosin isn't a good hunting rifle/prybar.

Last range day I did, it worked great for hammering targets onto the target post. :haw: I'll have to try again with good ammo instead of silver bear poo poo, but I'm still not sure I'd trust the accuracy of that thing out farther than 200 meters.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I was not aware of that! I'd seen the pictures many times before but I don't frequent TFR. I'm less of a gun guy and more of a hunter.

He also posts in AI about Nissan trucks, in Holdbrooks's bosozuko thread f instance.

TFR does have hunting threads too

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think we should all take a moment to remember Count Mootington the Brave.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

I think we should all take a moment to remember Count Mootington the Brave.

He ded?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like he hasn't come back from his last ban. I guess it's quite possible.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Overheard at the office:

Leaving work yesterday, leather jacket on, helmet in hand, a co-worker asks, "Motorcycle?" I responded, "No, my auto insurance company gives me a good discount to wear all this stuff." He laughed.

Rode to work in the rain this morning. Had a lady in the parking garage say to me, "Aren't you supposed to only ride that when it's sunny?" I responded, "No, it's more fun to ride it in the rain." She rolled her eyes and made some noise.

It's amazing how many people feel they HAVE to comment.

On edit:

Found this too; people may have seen it before, but just in case:

http://youtu.be/o0gALpGaHEY

Pretty cool cop. But then again, I think I've never had a bad interaction with an NYC cop.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 27, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
People want to talk to you, it's an easy conversation starter. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

If you're in the US, and have the Velocity channel, the Isle of Man TT is showing now.