Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Is it possible at all that they intentionally put together a terrible PPV for Souled Out to cool down some of the fans who wanted to see NWO get rid of WCW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fun fact, Eric Bischoff fired Ole Anderson over the phone. After meeting with him in person.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

Is it possible at all that they intentionally put together a terrible PPV for Souled Out to cool down some of the fans who wanted to see NWO get rid of WCW?

God I hope that's the case, it's perfect WCW

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dsriggs posted:

Nah, pretty sure they were still riding high on the idea that the nWo should just win everything forever and humiliate everyone else in WCW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

fun fact, Eric Bischoff fired Ole Anderson over the phone. After meeting with him in person.

Ole had it coming, he's a turd

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

coconono posted:

Yeah, I heard that from Jim Cornette this week. The story cracked me up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I support the firing of Ole Anderson from all posts other than Grand Imperial Wizard.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dsriggs posted:

According to death of wcw eric was banking on the first souled out to make huge numbers so he could run more pay-per views monthly but it did average numbers. It was really god awful. After that disappointment they cooled on the idea until the last nitro before starrcade '97. When that show dipped 2 points(?) in the ratings they dropped the idea entirely.

Overall the point was to have 2 seperate shows; an NWO one and a WCW one. Plus they thought souled out '97 was a show fans wanted to pay for.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
In retrospect Souled Out '97 was probably the first sign of things going horribly wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Souled Out could have worked if they didn't have Nick Patrick join the group. It should have been the nWo going in overconfident but actually taking some losses, maybe Hogan only barely manages to retain, give the audience some hope before crushing them again at Slamboree or GAB or something.

But to do that you'd have to have a ref willing to call matches fairly.

I do kind of have to admire that it's one of the few PPVs ever that existed for "story" reasons- it was "this rogue group is hosting their own show"- and tried to have its own look and feel, but the execution failed on so many levels.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Souled Out could have worked if they didn't have Nick Patrick join the group. It should have been the nWo going in overconfident but actually taking some losses, maybe Hogan only barely manages to retain, give the audience some hope before crushing them again at Slamboree or GAB or something.

On paper at least that's exactly what happened. The NWO did win some matches, but other than Bagwell going over his old tag partner they were meaningless squashes. On the WCW side Eddy and the Steiners beat the Outsiders and Syxx for the US and Tag belts, DDP became the first guy approached by the NWO to turn them down and left through the crowd to a massive ovation, Mongo helped Jarret get a win to show he wasn't caving to NWO intimidation, and Giant was booked as if he utterly outclassed Hogan it took the entire NWO plus Bischoff as the heel authority figure to stop him from winning. Commentary also mentioned Randy Savage being blackballed by the NWO several times to explain his absence. Also lots of Sting chants, and Bischoff's big "WELL YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET STING!" to close the show.

Obviously the show itself was a train wreck at every step, most of the commentary AND in-ring work was awful, and as you said the heel referee was the main culprit in ruining everything. But if you just look at the match results it seems like they were trying to do exactly what you're saying and set up a slew of anti-NWO WCW heroes for everyone to cheer for.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Souled Out could have worked if they didn't have Nick Patrick join the group.

The whole concept of the heel stable having a bent ref in their pocket only works if the heels aren't supposed to be cool or threatening, which is everything the nWo was supposed to be. Yoy have Hulk Hogan and the Outsiders leading this group and they have to be handed wins by a crooked official -- what's scary about the nWo after that happens?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DynamiteKidd posted:

The whole concept of the heel stable having a bent ref in their pocket only works if the heels aren't supposed to be cool or threatening, which is everything the nWo was supposed to be. Yoy have Hulk Hogan and the Outsiders leading this group and they have to be handed wins by a crooked official -- what's scary about the nWo after that happens?

Wasn't the entire crux of The Rock and Chris Jericho during their heel runs that they were among the best wrestlers in the company and could easily win matches (unless they were taking on the best of the best, such as Stone Cold or Undertaker) clean but preferred to cheat, walk out on opponents, and do other dastardly heel things out of laziness, arrogance or greed?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

No, not at all, especially Jericho.

You could argue it for 2003 Hollywood Rock, but 97-99 Rock needed constant interference to keep his belt

I think he had one clean pinfall defense in a 5 month IC reign

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
There was a heavily repeated rumor on rspw that when people called to buy tickets and order ppv for Souled Out, they were turned away because the person on the other end of the call didn't realize that they meant Souled Out and not sold out.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Rusty Shackelford posted:

There was a heavily repeated rumor on rspw that when people called to buy tickets and order ppv for Souled Out, they were turned away because the person on the other end of the call didn't realize that they meant Souled Out and not sold out.

That seems a little dubious to me because WCW did Souled Out for three more years afterwards and I've not heard of it having disappointing gates or buyrates every year. I guess it's possible that this may have only applied to the first Souled Out event, but...

And now that you mention it I have no idea why they called it Souled Out in the first place or what that has to do with the nWo at all. I thought the gimmick was that they were middle aged biker/gangbangers

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

That seems a little dubious to me because WCW did Souled Out for three more years afterwards and I've not heard of it having disappointing gates or buyrates every year. I guess it's possible that this may have only applied to the first Souled Out event, but...

Alongside "egomaniac" and "middle-aged man desperately clinging to the spectre of his youth," "blindly persistent" is a pretty apt descriptor for Eric Bischoff. Massive, repeated failure never discouraged late-90s WCW from making the same mistake over, and over, and over again.

See also: Vince Russo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the "crooked refs" thing. I always thought it was cool that Scott Steiner brought his own ref, because all the real ones were scared to be in the ring with him.

Which in true WCW form, was based on real life.

There was one cool match with Goldberg, (I think?), where Goldberg clearly had Scotty down for the three, but the ref wouldn't count it, not because he was crooked, but because he too was scared shitless of the Big Bad Booty Daddy's wrath. Goldberg then beats up the ref, and gets disqualified or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Scott Steiner just going out and shooting whenever he wanted because everyone was too afraid to tell him he's going over time or off script is like, the greatest and most WCW thing. He tried to kill DDP!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"What's that feeling? Oh, Scott's trying to *pull out my eye*."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

There's one promo where Scott is just going and going and cursing more and more and you can see Buff Bagwell in the ring with him looking visibly uncomfortable and trying to get the mic away from him to end the drat segment the longer it goes. It's fantastic.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

Scott Steiner just going out and shooting whenever he wanted because everyone was too afraid to tell him he's going over time or off script is like, the greatest and most WCW thing. He tried to kill DDP!

I love the long-winded rant against Ric Flair because Steiner was incredibly coherent throughout, much more than he ever was before or since.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Like?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Was Bischoff at WCW when they put the belt on David Arquette during the triple cage match?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

1st AD posted:

Was Bischoff at WCW when they put the belt on David Arquette during the triple cage match?

Bischoff was the guy Arquette pinned in the tag match where he won the belt. Arquette then turned heel in the triple cage match to let Jeff Jarrett win it back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's funnier because in early 96 Bischoff decided building feuds was dead and the only way to draw on PPV was crazy gimmick matches. This is one of the reasons the Doomsday Cage happened.

WCW Nitro returns to Tuesdays tonight! Tune in for

NWO NIGHTCAP

Eric Bischoff's late night talk show will be on the air, are you ready for it? We've been waiting MONTHS for this!

You'll also see:

MONGO VS SICK BOY

Yuji Nagata vs Saturn

Sting and Nash vs Hall and Giant for the Tag Titles

The Dancing Fools vs Muta and Tenzan

TOKYO MAGNUM VS ULTIMO DRAGON

Hennig vs Luger

Hart vs DDP

AND SO MUCH MORE (including Flapjack Norton)

Tune in at 7:30 for the preshow, 8 PM for Nitro and stay tuned after Nitro for a special documentary on SATAN!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

I had to restrain myself from throwing things at my monitor. Jesus Christ, Eric. We all still remember when you were in charge. Shut the gently caress up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He tweeted that after Dixie announced TNA's bringing back King of the Mountain for Slammiversary to make up for the fact they won't have a world title match main eventing

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Chris James 2 posted:

He tweeted that after Dixie announced TNA's bringing back King of the Mountain for Slammiversary to make up for the fact they won't have a world title match main eventing

You know, isn't the gimmick of KotM that you have to grab a BELT and hang it up? What's the match for, the X title?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DynamiteKidd posted:

You know, isn't the gimmick of KotM that you have to grab a BELT and hang it up? What's the match for, the X title?

Ultimate X

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

It's funnier because in early 96 Bischoff decided building feuds was dead and the only way to draw on PPV was crazy gimmick matches. This is one of the reasons the Doomsday Cage happened.

Short of Uncensored, I don't really remember any crazy gimmick matches in WCW in '96. And gently caress, even the Uncensored match had a semblance of a build, and not "lets throw it on a PPV because we can't do our world title match"

I mean I guess War Games and World War III were crazy gimmick matches, but War Games owned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Short of Uncensored, I don't really remember any crazy gimmick matches in WCW in '96. And gently caress, even the Uncensored match had a semblance of a build, and not "lets throw it on a PPV because we can't do our world title match"

I mean I guess War Games and World War III were crazy gimmick matches, but War Games owned.

They did a double cage deal on Superbrawl where the entire draw was blood, then Uncensored which was all gimmick matches and followed it up by Slamboree which was centered on Battlebowl. They were really into centering PPVs on gimmicks, it was an intentional direction.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WCW also couldn't sell PPVs on title matches because they gave away title matches constantly on Nitro.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who booked the Junkyard Invitational?

quote:

WCW had a bad habit for going overboard with gimmicks. None was more costly to their wrestlers health than the 1999 Junkyard Invitational at Bash at the Beach. And so a lot of WCW Hardcore wrestlers had a massive brawl in a junkyard, with the winner being whoever could escape first. A few wrestlers left the match with legitimate injuries. The match started off with everyone in a big circle of cars, then just degenerated from there. It was dark and hard to see what was going on and the action had seemingly no structure. A helicopter camera didn’t really make things any clearer. It also didn’t help that they kept cutting away as moves were actually happening. Cars were tipped over, people were electrocuted, things blew up. It was absolute mayhem, and not the entertaining type. Keep in mind that this was on their big summer Pay Per View. The live audience for Bash at the Beach would have had to watch this all on a big screen. Fit Finley eventually left the Junkyard unchallenged to win the match. But the definite highlight was Bobby Heenan’s commentary.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nWo Nightcap is worse than anything I could have possibly imagined. Oh my god did that eMale Karate Man ego stroking die a loving death.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

nWo Nightcap is worse than anything I could have possibly imagined. Oh my god did that eMale Karate Man ego stroking die a loving death.

And we have this to look forward to for three or four more Nitros. And they probably replayed it all the time on Thunder (as if seeing it four times on Nitro wasn't enough)

EDIT: Incidentally the HArdcore Invitational is perhaps the worst match ever by sheer volume. It was shot in the loving dark so you couldn't see anything and guys were getting injured doing unprotected spots that entertained nobody because of this.

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 17, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

Who booked the Junkyard Invitational?

It was Summer '99, Russo, so Bischoff was still technically the head, but it was probably Sullivan with the book.

Might be a good question for Dave.

MassRafTer posted:

They did a double cage deal on Superbrawl where the entire draw was blood, then Uncensored which was all gimmick matches and followed it up by Slamboree which was centered on Battlebowl. They were really into centering PPVs on gimmicks, it was an intentional direction.

Flair beat Savage by outside interference at Starrcade for the title, and Hogan and The Giant had been feuding since Fall Brawl and it was the payoff to that build. Having a double main event for cage matches for contentious feuds doesn't really strike me as building with gimmicks only, and no feud.

Uncensored had actual feuds going into the matches IIRC.

Battlebowl was pretty bad and I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Was Bischoff around for that Monster Truck on a building match?