Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The worst part of that picture is how cookie cutter hiso they all are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
chula.jpg

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Gail Wynand posted:

My favorite is still the Nazi coffee shop in Indonesia.

Is there any analog in history of people being so hung up on a military aesthetic from a side that lost before? I'm drawing a blank. The communism sickle thing is almost as iconic, I suppose, but still in play.

And as someone whose last name literally translates to "German Person" in German and grew up in a 1st gen household, I'm also delighted to see that swastikas popping all over again. I get to be that rear end in a top hat who points out that they drew it backwards and it's actually a symbol for good fortune. Fun fact: swastikas are banned in Germany.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Pixelante posted:

Is there any analog in history of people being so hung up on a military aesthetic from a side that lost before? I'm drawing a blank. The communism sickle thing is almost as iconic, I suppose, but still in play.

There are a lot of Americans from the south who still believe that the Confederacy was awesome and that the American Civil War wasn't really about slavery at all. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the aftermath of the Civil War, where for a variety of reasons the south was let off pretty easily and a lot of the war crimes were covered up. Add in the fact that slavery was replaced by systems of unfree labor that were almost as exploitative, and widespread overt racism was practiced in both the north and south for a century after the Civil War ended, and you get a lot of people who do stupid things like wave Confederate flags that aren't historically accurate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Probably should have added "that they have absolutely no connection to" somewhere in there to avoid that trap.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Konstantin posted:

There are a lot of Americans from the south who still believe that the Confederacy was awesome and that the American Civil War wasn't really about slavery at all. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the aftermath of the Civil War, where for a variety of reasons the south was let off pretty easily and a lot of the war crimes were covered up. Add in the fact that slavery was replaced by systems of unfree labor that were almost as exploitative, and widespread overt racism was practiced in both the north and south for a century after the Civil War ended, and you get a lot of people who do stupid things like wave Confederate flags that aren't historically accurate.

How timely. 37 Percent Of Mississippi GOPers Would Back Confederates In Civil War

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dead-enders.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
This is about as close as I can see for a thread on India. Currently, getting a visa to India in the USA is hosed and it's been hosed since May when they transferred their visa outsourcing.

I'm planning a Round the World trip that will see me either get to India from SE Asia or to SE Asia from India depending on which direction I choose to go. Have any of you tried getting visas while abroad? What's the process for that? I noticed that the visa application wants me to supply an itinerary to India (and I've done that before for other Visas), but my RTW ticket allows me to book whenever I want so long as it's 24 hours in advance. I guess if there's no rebooking fee, I could book a flight and then change it as I please, but I guess I would prefer not to lie when presenting forms to a government office. Any insight on getting visas while abroad and the itinerary requirement would be great.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There is a thread on India:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537940

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Popping back in post-typhoon to share all with you all the hard-hitting news occupying my section at work this week:

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/07/11/werewolves-kill-herds-of-animals-in-sibale-island/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Explain that they need to import chupacabra to eliminate the werewolf threat.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Importing foreign forces to battle an internal threat would cause more constitutional headaches and rabble-rousing over the new defense cooperation agreement than I think anyone wants to get involved with. They're very touchy about these things.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just set up a new multilateral regional defense partnership called 'Cabra Gold and send them some free planes. Problem solved.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Wouldn't it be simple to import Chupacabra from Mexico through Church connections? Pretty sure the society of Jesus our the Columbans would have enough connections on both ends to successfully circumvent legal restrictions. Possibly involve the CIA to sell drugs in order to fund it and laundry through any Freemason lodges in the country.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Thung song kind of sucks where can I go from here that's actually interesting. Cool waterfall tho

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, I recall saying "go to Trang" though Trang is not exactly fun central either, just a little bigger with a little more to do.

What are you looking to do? The answer to your question depends heavily on what experience you're after. There are islands, national parks, places with great food, larger cities with bars and stuff, etc.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hah it was to visit a friend who lives here. But besides them there's nothing :P islands, and more specifically beaches, sound cool. Are there any in particular you recommend?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Everyone down there swears that Koh Tarutao is the last of the really undeveloped islands. I don't know if that's true, but that's what the family down that way say and I've heard it from a few tourists who've visited. Maybe give that a shot? A quick googling will show you how pretty it is.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

That looks perfect! Thanks. Ill try to get to pak bara this weekend to ferry over

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Malaysia Air is going to stay cheap in the foreseeable future...

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-28354787

It's possible that the plane was actually shot down by the Ukrainian government, believing it was actually Putin's jet. It's also possible that pro-Russia separatists supplied by Russia were responsible. This hasn't been confirmed by anyone but keeps getting brought up. American monitoring sources apparently have a heat signature from some satellite or other monitoring system that indicates a SAM was involved.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 17, 2014

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Looks like Malaysia Air is going to stay cheap in the foreseeable future...

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-28354787

It's possible that the plane was actually shot down by the Ukrainian government, believing it was actually Putin's jet. It's also possible that pro-Russia separatists supplied by Russia were responsible. This hasn't been confirmed by anyone but keeps getting brought up. American monitoring sources apparently have a heat signature from some satellite or other monitoring system that indicates a SAM was involved.

The Eastern European thread in D&D is a good source of info on this. The Putin assassination thing is almost certainly spin from Russia Today to cast the blame away from Russia. The separatists are likely the culprits - A few weeks ago they were bragging on Twitter about capturing weaponry that could be used to take a 777 out. Then today they were bragging about taking out a Ukrainian plane before they realised their mistake. Russia bears some responsibility as well because they've been supplying the separatists (and it may turn out that they supplied the missiles used to take out MH17)

I imagine this whole thing will disrupt flights between Europe and SE Asia for a while, as apparently it was a popular route for many airlines. I'm supposed to be flying from Stockholm to Bangkok next month. Hope things clear up before then :/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

This is why I just fly to Korea/Japan and then SEA. loving gently caress going through the Middle East or loving Eastern Europe. gently caress.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This is why I just fly to Korea/Japan and then SEA. loving gently caress going through the Middle East or loving Eastern Europe. gently caress.

Not really an option for people in Europe. I've flown that route a bunch, it's usually quite cheap compared to most and the route is a co-share with KLM who aren't terrible.

This really sucks balls.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Russia has a long and proud history of shooting down Asian airliners :v:

Though this was probably Russian speakers with Russian equipment in communication with Russian military, rather than actual Russians pulling the trigger.

ReindeerF posted:

Well if you really want to bamboozle things, get in touch with me and I'll explain how BOI sponsorship works. We can get you sorted for pretty much nothing but some time spent doing paperwork, heh.

Can you summarise it here? It's tempting... very tempting. Short of selling the business and buying the Elite visa, some kind of half arsed business approach is probably my best option for maximum beach adventure time in Thailand.

Ringo R posted:

There's no way the neighboring consulates have anything more advanced than a computer with Windows XP. I've lived on tourist visas for years on three different passports.

Avoid developed countries like Singapore and Hong Kong though. I've been denied there.

Or set up a wine and burger empire with Reindeer.

I think the issue is more the individual immigration officer upon arrival, rather than getting the visa. Who needs standards? Not Thai immigration!

Finch! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 18, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Certainly there are no problems like this in the Koreas!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Finch! posted:

Can you summarise it here? It's tempting... very tempting. Short of selling the business and buying the Elite visa, some kind of half arsed business approach is probably my best option for maximum beach adventure time in Thailand.
Basically, most people don't understand the BOI and think that it exists only for companies like Chevron or something.

There's a whole section of the BOI (7?) that is designed to facilitate software. There's another for things like call centers (5?). The BOI exists to greenlight projects to create companies, after which it sponsors the companies. However, the unique nature of the BOI is that it greenlights projects to create companies - to create investment, essentially - meaning that it's the only entity in Thailand that actually reflects the reality of how business works.

In practice, what this means is that you file your paperwork reflecting the business you intend to open. This costs a little bit of money, not much. You put down the target investment numbers that they want to hear (this is the magic sauce) and file under the appropriate section for something small and international (software is easy). After about 3-6 months you'll be approved and on that day you'll receive a letter to take to the OSSS (don't worry, Jews, it's only the One Stop Service Center). You hand them this letter and they hand you a one year multiple-entry business visa and a work permit.

Furthermore, if you file under one of the sections with allowances for importing multiple foreign experts, the work permit requirements to bring in more foreigners are essentially waived, meaning that you can get more work permits.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can file completely online and all the info is on their site. It's clunky, but it's there. The only thing you need to do in person to start is finesse out of someone there, while you're going through the forms together, what target investment numbers they're looking for the section you're planning to file under.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 18, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
TRAVEL NEWS NOW

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/bangkok-coolest-new-hostels

LubD started a trend, basically.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lmbo at this monkey picture from monkeys are out of control fluff piece in the post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loc...natural-habitat

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

dat monkey grabbing her ju, naughty

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It looks like she was feeding them. People are loving dumb.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

lmbo at this monkey picture from monkeys are out of control fluff piece in the post

Look at that dumbass carrying a plastic bag and bananas around monkeys.

narak narak n- TOK JAI TOK JAI JEP JEP JEP

EDIT: Yes, she's feeding them, but A) that's stupid and just makes them more annoying in the future and B) put down the bag and hide the bananas you waterhead.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 19, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Once I played a prank on these jerk monkeys. I was just hiking and not even trying to feed the animals but they can get really aggressive.

Since monkeys are trained to look at plastic grocery bags, I filled the bags full of rocks. When they snatched the bag they were so confused about the lack of food

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I heard a guy tell a story one time about how he cut down the banana tree in his back yard (because he was drunk and it was leaning toward his house) but after he cut it down he didn't want to waste a long strand-thing of bananas that was on it. So he cut the strand-thing off and carried it down the alley intending to bring it to his missus. Monkeys mugged him for his naners before he found her.

E: Looked up what the stand thing is called and it's peduncle. Which may have been an accurate description of the guy telling the story. The Earth is a many splendored thing.

EE: My personal monkey story is going to the monkey house with my dad when I was four or five. He snuck fruit in there and because he played amateur baseball back then he started trying to nail the monkeys with the fruit through the bars. This was hilarious good fun and some of the monkeys were big fans of the incoming fruit and others not so much because they'd just been pegged with an orange. In either gratitude or with a sense of vengeance, I'm not sure which, a number of them ran to the bottom of the cage and began hurling prodigious amounts of monkey poo poo at us, so we ran out of the money house.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I got to see a monkey liberate a girl of her lunch in Thailand. Good times.

One tried to steal my backpack in Malaysia then showed me its teeth when I pulled it away, the little poo poo, so I showed it a fist sized rock and it decided maybe it wasn't worth it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

No wonder y'all love the Thai Islands. It's a tropical paradise.
Ko Tarou closes for low season though :(

Yall know anything about Khao Luang? I think I'm heading there next

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Going out at home: Everyone drinks three cocktails and one shot, calls a taxi and falls asleep in their own bed.

Going out in South East Asia: Drink five cocktails and two shots, one person falls asleep at the bar, one person manages to walk home and one person winds up in a random house in the mountain swimming at 4am.

Never change, SE Asia. Never change.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Chair Huxtable posted:

Going out at home: Everyone drinks three cocktails and one shot, calls a taxi and falls asleep in their own bed.

Going out in South East Asia: Drink five cocktails and two shots, one person falls asleep at the bar, one person manages to walk home and one person winds up in a random house in the mountain swimming at 4am.

Last night one of our guests tried to break up a fight between two ladyboys. He ended up getting a bottle over the head by one of them and then the same ladyboy gave him a ride home on her scooter because she felt bad. I feel like a variation of that should go in the SE Asia section.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Visa news ++:

Starting August 29th the 30 + 7 visa exempt stay will change to 30 + 30. The extension will still consist of a visit to immigration and a 1900 THB fee. Supposedly people with tourist visas won't have to worry much about being able to return (given funds and onward travel) but multiple reups on visa exempt stays aren't going to happen. Immigration is making consistency between visa checkpoints a priority now -- in the past there were wildly different standards depending on which of the cardinal directions you went to do a visa run to the extent that I was urged to go to Penang for my work visa as opposed to Vientiane.

raton fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 20, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

mintskoal posted:

Last night one of our guests tried to break up a fight between two ladyboys. He ended up getting a bottle over the head by one of them and then the same ladyboy gave him a ride home on her scooter because she felt bad. I feel like a variation of that should go in the SE Asia section.
I have some pretty nutty stories from my days out in America, but Southeast Asia is an order of magnitude more ridiculous for sure.

I agree, never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

I have some pretty nutty stories from my days out in America, but Southeast Asia is an order of magnitude more ridiculous for sure.

I agree, never change.

I have never in my life gotten as drunk as I have here.