Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Only want a very summarised answer.

Who is Tim Tebow?

He's an NFL player right? Quarterback? What has he done recently so that I hear about him every time I go on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Hoops posted:

Who is Tim Tebow?

He's an NFL player right? Quarterback? What has he done recently so that I hear about him every time I go on the internet.

Yes, QB for the Denver Broncos, he was 2nd string till Kyle Orton got hurt/shitcanned/laughed out of town about 5 games into the season. After that as a rookie he went on to lead the Broncos to the playoffs. He appears to be a pretty wholesome guy from interviews, and after touchdowns he would do a little genuflect thing which became the subject of many many many hours of Sportscenter and other programs

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 14, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell, stuff like books, DVDs, blu-rays, video games of all kinds (including old stuff, but stuff like PS3 too), almost all good or great condition. I want some return on the stuff, but I care more about getting rid of it in a straightforward manner because I want to move out and not have tons of baggage. I don't really want to set up an SA-MART thread to sell everything one by one and spend all my free time managing that.

Is there anything I can do or is it better to donate most of it and sell only the more saleable items?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Hoops posted:

Who is Tim Tebow?

2nd year NFL Quarterback for the Broncos. They were losing, switched him to starter and then made the playoffs. Everyone said/says he is terrible. His throwing motion is not good, and he really cant play the position very well. Irregardless, he just wins. In fact, he wins in amazing ways. He plays like complete rear end for 3 quarters, can be down a few touchdowns then win the game and look amazing. He is also very very religious. He'll pray on the sideline, sing religious songs, praise God, etc. Everyone picks him to lose most weeks, and most times he just wins.

So, a terrible looking QB who by no means should be good in the NFL has amazing faith in God, and just happens to win games. The media and religious groups love him.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Dudebro posted:

I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell, stuff like books, DVDs, blu-rays, video games of all kinds (including old stuff, but stuff like PS3 too), almost all good or great condition. I want some return on the stuff, but I care more about getting rid of it in a straightforward manner because I want to move out and not have tons of baggage. I don't really want to set up an SA-MART thread to sell everything one by one and spend all my free time managing that.

Is there anything I can do or is it better to donate most of it and sell only the more saleable items?

You'd probably be best off putting up just a few high-return items and donating the rest if you're moving; otherwise, it'll take a long while before you manage to get rid of everything. You could try selling or auctioning off your less saleable stuff in lots, too, and try making a little bit on the stuff that normally wouldn't sell.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Why do people die when their body temperature goes above 42 Celsius due to proteins starting to break down (the word I remember from biology class is 'denaturate', I'm not sure if that's the same as breaking down), but the proteins in beans are ok when you boil them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Why do (some) engines have a heater hose "quick disconnect". Is it for flushing or something? Outside of that I can't think of a use.

Try in the AI stupid question thread.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

UnfurledSails posted:

I got a NBA Season pass, but it rarely shows games by major teams like the Bulls or the Heat. It tells me to watch ESPN or TNT. I would, but I live in a college dorm without a TV. Is there a way for me to watch these channels legally without looking for lovely stuttering streams?

I don't think so, but try the NBA questions thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454578

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Somaen posted:

Why do people die when their body temperature goes above 42 Celsius due to proteins starting to break down (the word I remember from biology class is 'denaturate', I'm not sure if that's the same as breaking down), but the proteins in beans are ok when you boil them?

There are different types of proteins, which denature at different temperatures. Many of the proteins in beans break down when you boil them, but some of them don't.

Eggs are a good example of different types of proteins denaturing at different speeds. You can tell the difference between an over-cooked egg white, a reasonably cooked egg white, and the point where the egg yolk starts to get hard. This is the result of different types of proteins denaturing at different speeds within the egg. If you've got really good control of the temperature at which you soft-boil an egg, you can leave it at a less-than-boiling temperature for an hour to get the perfect soft-but-not-runny yolk, because different proteins within the yolk denature at different heat levels, and FOOD SCIENTISTS have figured out what temperature to bring things to to keep everything just right.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I just switched to using Office 2010 and it does something really loving annoying. When text is wrapped in a cell, and the cell is too small to display all the text, it shows the middle, rather than the beginning, of the content.

For example, if a cell contains "beginning middle end," and I shorten the cell to a few characters, it'll say "ing mi". It does this with wrapped numbers too, which is insane and makes me hope they're not using excel 2010 in any sort of nuclear facilities.

How can I stop this poo poo?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Gravity Pike posted:

There are different types of proteins, which denature at different temperatures. Many of the proteins in beans break down when you boil them, but some of them don't.

Eggs are a good example of different types of proteins denaturing at different speeds. You can tell the difference between an over-cooked egg white, a reasonably cooked egg white, and the point where the egg yolk starts to get hard. This is the result of different types of proteins denaturing at different speeds within the egg. If you've got really good control of the temperature at which you soft-boil an egg, you can leave it at a less-than-boiling temperature for an hour to get the perfect soft-but-not-runny yolk, because different proteins within the yolk denature at different heat levels, and FOOD SCIENTISTS have figured out what temperature to bring things to to keep everything just right.

Great detailed answer, thank you.

Buh
May 17, 2008
The bathroom in my new place does not seem to have been designed around the idea that it might ever get wet. It is poorly ventilated and the shower curtain is this lovely plastic thing that NEVER DRIES. It has a little mildew already and short of towelling it off daily I don't see how I can prevent that.

Where can I get a shower curtain that is cheap but quick-drying? Thanks in advance.

Buh fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

UnfurledSails posted:

I got a NBA Season pass, but it rarely shows games by major teams like the Bulls or the Heat. It tells me to watch ESPN or TNT. I would, but I live in a college dorm without a TV. Is there a way for me to watch these channels legally without looking for lovely stuttering streams?

Seconding try the NBA questions thread, but, I will throw in a couple of things that I know that can help.

TNT will probably start doing TNT overtime again eventually and you can watch those online on a high quality stream. I don't think ESPN 3 carries games yet which sucks.

Another thing that works is if you have a family somewhere that has a good internet connection and a spare tv (or a tv they don't mind you having control of), a Slingbox hooked up to their TV is an amazing thing. They would need a 1.5 mbps upstream to stream slingbox to you in HD (and of course you would need the same down to pull it), but honestly a standard def stream is usually fine on a standard monitor or laptop and looks way better than streams from alternative sources. I don't know about the Heat and Bulls, but there are Laker fans who let other Laker fans watch from their Slingboxes. You might go on a Heat or Bulls board and ask if there is anyone there who will help.

Honestly League Pass is a big rip off unless you like a team that's not popular enough to get on cable TV very often.

Edit: OH and duh, my question: I think I might have a graphic card with HDMI Sound Output so this might be moot, but if I hook up my TV to my computer (which is DVI but has an hdmi adapter), how the heck do I get sound to my TV? The audio input only works in PC mode but PC mode isn't HD which defeats the point of what I'm trying to do. How do I get sound from my computer to my TV then?

Rick fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 14, 2012

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
So I'm trying to post a listing on craigslist outside the US, and even though I go through all the steps and it says my listing's been posted, it is not showing up.

Looking up on Google I see craigslist sometimes does this with IPs that are outside the US, but if I'm in the country I'm actually posting in there's no reason it shouldn't work. I've tried with different email accounts too and is still the same.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Rick posted:

Seconding try the NBA questions thread, but, I will throw in a couple of things that I know that can help.

TNT will probably start doing TNT overtime again eventually and you can watch those online on a high quality stream. I don't think ESPN 3 carries games yet which sucks.

Another thing that works is if you have a family somewhere that has a good internet connection and a spare tv (or a tv they don't mind you having control of), a Slingbox hooked up to their TV is an amazing thing. They would need a 1.5 mbps upstream to stream slingbox to you in HD (and of course you would need the same down to pull it), but honestly a standard def stream is usually fine on a standard monitor or laptop and looks way better than streams from alternative sources. I don't know about the Heat and Bulls, but there are Laker fans who let other Laker fans watch from their Slingboxes. You might go on a Heat or Bulls board and ask if there is anyone there who will help.

Honestly League Pass is a big rip off unless you like a team that's not popular enough to get on cable TV very often.

Edit: OH and duh, my question: I think I might have a graphic card with HDMI Sound Output so this might be moot, but if I hook up my TV to my computer (which is DVI but has an hdmi adapter), how the heck do I get sound to my TV? The audio input only works in PC mode but PC mode isn't HD which defeats the point of what I'm trying to do. How do I get sound from my computer to my TV then?

I haven't fiddled with DVI much, but when running HDMI out from a PC you have to right click on your speaker icon in the systray, choose playback devices and set the HDMI card as the default audio device. It may automatically switch back when you disconnect the HDMI cable.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How often does AmEx's Blue Cash amount update: weekly or monthly? It certainly doesn't update daily.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My hair apparently sucks. Is there a hairstyle thread in W&W? I can't seem to find it.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

My hair apparently sucks. Is there a hairstyle thread in W&W? I can't seem to find it.

Voila

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2268639

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Noni posted:

I just switched to using Office 2010 and it does something really loving annoying. When text is wrapped in a cell, and the cell is too small to display all the text, it shows the middle, rather than the beginning, of the content.

For example, if a cell contains "beginning middle end," and I shorten the cell to a few characters, it'll say "ing mi". It does this with wrapped numbers too, which is insane and makes me hope they're not using excel 2010 in any sort of nuclear facilities.

How can I stop this poo poo?
Left justify the cell instead of center justify?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Ten days ago, I started having a cold. I took sudafed, I took vitamins, I did all I could. It seemed to finally be on the wane. Today I find out it's become an ear infection and I'm on antibiotics. This happens to almost all the colds I've had since moving to Iowa 4 years ago.

My question is - would it make sense to NOT take any medicine? Try to let it be WORSE earlier so I can get on the antibiotics sooner, so I can deal with being sick for 5 days instead of two weeks?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
How come bookstores will sell used books on Amazon Marketplace for 1 cent plus some very low shipping rate? That doesn't seem like it'd justify the effort of shipping out the book.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Golbez posted:

Ten days ago, I started having a cold. I took sudafed, I took vitamins, I did all I could. It seemed to finally be on the wane. Today I find out it's become an ear infection and I'm on antibiotics. This happens to almost all the colds I've had since moving to Iowa 4 years ago.

My question is - would it make sense to NOT take any medicine? Try to let it be WORSE earlier so I can get on the antibiotics sooner, so I can deal with being sick for 5 days instead of two weeks?

Unless your infection is severe, you probably shouldn't be taking antibiotics at all; unnecessary use of antibiotics is what causes drug-resistant strains of bacteria to form.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zotwoz posted:

Unless your infection is severe, you probably shouldn't be taking antibiotics at all; unnecessary use of antibiotics is what causes drug-resistant strains of bacteria to form.
I'm pretty sure if you have an infection you need to take antibiotics, especially an ear infection that could spread to your brain ... just be sure to take all of them, and on schedule. Not completing the prescribed antibiotic regime is what causes drug-resistance in bacteria.

A colleague of mine is in the hospital right now (been there since before xmas) getting IV antibiotics and fluid drained from his brain because he had a flu, which led to a sinus infection, which spread into his brain. Yeah, gently caress that.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
I'm writing a fiction story and in it, the main character is part of a team that makes an actually working cure for Malaria from a species of Ophiocordyceps fungus. Turns out the cure has side effect, people going crazy, blah blah blah, horror story kind of stuff.

What kind of doctorates and qualifications would a person working on something like that theoretically have? I don't delve into medical fields often, so I'm completely blanking on all of it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

I'm pretty sure if you have an infection you need to take antibiotics, especially an ear infection that could spread to your brain ... just be sure to take all of them, and on schedule. Not completing the prescribed antibiotic regime is what causes drug-resistance in bacteria.

You will not die if you have an infection and don't take antibiotics. Ear infections in particular will often clear up on their own. http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/antibiotics-for-middle-ear-infection

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

You will not die if you have an infection and don't take antibiotics. Ear infections in particular will often clear up on their own. http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/antibiotics-for-middle-ear-infection
"Will not?" 0% chance? That's a pretty bold statement, and even your link to webMD says 4/5 ear infections in children clear up on their own. That leaves 20% that needed...antibiotics. I think it depends on what caused the ear infection, and what is infecting it. If my doctor prescribes antibiotics I'm taking them. All of them. On schedule. Because if it's from pneumococcal disease, or measles, or meningitis or whatever my colleague has, its a huge, potentially life-threatening pain in the rear end to wait.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

saberwulf posted:

I'm writing a fiction story and in it, the main character is part of a team that makes an actually working cure for Malaria from a species of Ophiocordyceps fungus. Turns out the cure has side effect, people going crazy, blah blah blah, horror story kind of stuff.

What kind of doctorates and qualifications would a person working on something like that theoretically have? I don't delve into medical fields often, so I'm completely blanking on all of it.
Mycology is the study of fungus, so maybe undergrad in immunology, PhD in Mycology? My friend is on a Masters in Infectious Diseases, you could probably throw that in too. Maybe Forest Ecology instead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Saeku posted:

How come bookstores will sell used books on Amazon Marketplace for 1 cent plus some very low shipping rate? That doesn't seem like it'd justify the effort of shipping out the book.

Slice the shipping rate in half and that's what it usually actually costs at the USPS Media shipping rate, or less. You could make a nice amount of money if you have a lot of books to sell at 2 bucks a piece that you probably bought for 50 cents a piece. Or if you notice a lot of these sellers are tied to a charity or thrift store and they had them donated to them.

DELETED posted:

I haven't fiddled with DVI much, but when running HDMI out from a PC you have to right click on your speaker icon in the systray, choose playback devices and set the HDMI card as the default audio device. It may automatically switch back when you disconnect the HDMI cable.

Thanks!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

randyest posted:

Left justify the cell instead of center justify?

Nope. Still does the same crap. Thanks, though.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there a thread where I could ask about a problem I'm having with Garry's Mod, or do I have to ask it here?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

"Will not?" 0% chance? That's a pretty bold statement, and even your link to webMD says 4/5 ear infections in children clear up on their own. That leaves 20% that needed...antibiotics. I think it depends on what caused the ear infection, and what is infecting it. If my doctor prescribes antibiotics I'm taking them. All of them. On schedule. Because if it's from pneumococcal disease, or measles, or meningitis or whatever my colleague has, its a huge, potentially life-threatening pain in the rear end to wait.

Let me rephrase then, you will not necessarily die if you have an infection and don't take antibiotics. Your earlier statement "if you have an infection you need to take antibiotics" implies that you will, which is just not correct.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Noni posted:

Nope. Still does the same crap. Thanks, though.

Make sure the cell is also top justified so it starts at the beginning of what it thinks is a paragraph.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I believe that the medicine that he's talking about not taking is Sudafed, vitamins, etc. These medicines will not actually make you better. They will make you feel better, but have no appreciable effect on the duration of your illness.

You should definitely take care of yourself when you're sick, getting plenty of rest and fluids. (Because you're probably dehydrated normally anyway, but when you're sick your body is working harder and actually needs that replacement water.)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

What is it about Stephen King's face that is so weird? It's like the shape of his head is upside down or something.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Farecoal posted:

Is there a thread where I could ask about a problem I'm having with Garry's Mod, or do I have to ask it here?

There is a Garry's Mod thread in Games, although it's pretty old and you might not get an immediate response.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Whoa, all this infection talk is scaring me. I've had a stuffy/runny nose (switches off every day) for the last 3 weeks or so, with pretty much no other symptom except for a sore throat for a day or two last week. I assumed its either allergies (never really had before) or a minor sinus infection, but I thought those were all viral so it would take care of itself. Should I be gettin myself to a doctor Monday morning?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

I believe that the medicine that he's talking about not taking is Sudafed, vitamins, etc. These medicines will not actually make you better. They will make you feel better, but have no appreciable effect on the duration of your illness.

You should definitely take care of yourself when you're sick, getting plenty of rest and fluids. (Because you're probably dehydrated normally anyway, but when you're sick your body is working harder and actually needs that replacement water.)

It just seems to me that by taking Sudafed (Which I think has helped me in the past, opening the tubes a little bit and draining poo poo out), all I'm doing is prolonging the inevitable, which for me in Iowa seems to be an ear infection. If I don't take it, and don't take the vitamins, and don't take any over the counter cold medication (apart from pain relief and such), would it allow it to get worse sooner so I could get prescribed antibiotics?

This is a genuine question because last April I had a cold and went to the doctor figuring I was headed for an ear infection. They said, nope, it's still viral, so there's nothing fancy we can do. I took my Sudafed and used my Flonase a little too much, and about two weeks later, I still had the nasal congestion, but I now had an awesome staph infection in my right eye that required antibiotic eye drops every hour, 24/7, for several days. Oh, and they also gave me a Z-pack, which not only helped out my eye infection, but also finally killed that latent cold/probable ear infection I'd been toting around for two weeks.

Long story short: If Z-packs weren't prescription I'd be eating them like candy, but since they aren't, am I hosing myself by even trying to mitigate a cold, and just do whatever I can to accelerate it to something that CAN be helped with antibiotics?

RFX posted:

Whoa, all this infection talk is scaring me. I've had a stuffy/runny nose (switches off every day) for the last 3 weeks or so, with pretty much no other symptom except for a sore throat for a day or two last week. I assumed its either allergies (never really had before) or a minor sinus infection, but I thought those were all viral so it would take care of itself. Should I be gettin myself to a doctor Monday morning?
Don't let my story make you paranoid - my sore throats was pretty drat bad, bad enough to make me want to go to a doctor on its own merits. My ear infections here manifest in several ways; either severe ear pain, or a cold and I can't pop my ears, or a sore throat. Little overlap, surprisingly enough - my ears feel perfectly fine but my throat is so on fire I can barely eat solid food. Your body is different and your mileage may vary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

...am I hosing myself by even trying to mitigate a cold, and just do whatever I can to accelerate it to something that CAN be helped with antibiotics?

No you aren't loving yourself over, and you really can't "accelerate" it to being helped by antibiotics. The cold is caused by a virus, it's not going to transform to bacteria ig it gets bad enough. You'd have to get a separate infection.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Believe me, OTC cold medicines aren't really going to do much for your cold duration. (The Mayo Clinic says so.) All that mucus isn't really a bad thing to have in your sinuses; your body produces mucus in order to help fight disease. In fact, most of the symptoms that you feel when you're sick are actually a tactic your body uses to fight the infection, rather than something that the germs do to your body. Mucus is produced to carry germs and potentially-infected-dead-cells away from your vulnerable lungs, towards the outside of you. Fever? Turns out that you can (often) handle the heat better than germs can. It's your body trying to smoke out the germs, rather than something that the germs flat-out cause. Cold medications can minimize your body over-reacting to a viral infection, but they don't actually do anything to help fight the infection, or even slow down the damage the virus is doing to your body. It's all up to your immune system to clean that mess up.

Viral infections do not "naturally" lead to bacterial infections. The two are caused by completely different types of germs. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the bacterial infection is just coming out to play when your body was already weakened by something else. My recommendation would be to just take extra good care of yourself when you start feeling sick; make sure to get at least eight hours of sleep per night, and rearrange your sleep schedule to allow for ten, if you can manage it. Take a nap if you're feeling crummy in the middle of the day. Take some zinc supplements, maybe. Drink lots of water, and make sure you're getting enough to eat, even if you don't have much of an appetite. Get a flu shot every... what is it? 6 months? A year?

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Hoops posted:

What is it about Stephen King's face that is so weird? It's like the shape of his head is upside down or something.

I think there is too much space between his mouth and his nose. Plus his top lip looks pretty thin, so that doesn't help.