Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well, I haven't installed any new extensions recently, so I'm just going to assume I'm on the wrong side of some A/B test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I have a similar, possibly related issue. I've recently migrated from Chrome where I used to be able to do something like this:
  • Open YouTube in a new tab
  • Start playing background music
  • Open forums in another tab
  • If a post had an embedded YT video, playing it would automatically pause the background music one already playing
but now if I try to do that in Firefox, the background one continues playing and they overlap each other unless I switch back to the previous tab, manually pause it then switch back to the forums. Is this a YT/Chrome thing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wheany posted:

Does anyone else have problems with youtube videos failing to play if you change the tab?

I can't reproduce the thing you're having happen, but something with media playback must have been changed recently. The 106.0.4 version was a hotfix to solve crashes with video playback for some people.

nexus6 posted:

I have a similar, possibly related issue. I've recently migrated from Chrome where I used to be able to do something like this:
  • Open YouTube in a new tab
  • Start playing background music
  • Open forums in another tab
  • If a post had an embedded YT video, playing it would automatically pause the background music one already playing
but now if I try to do that in Firefox, the background one continues playing and they overlap each other unless I switch back to the previous tab, manually pause it then switch back to the forums. Is this a YT/Chrome thing?

Did you have Enhancer for Youtube extension in Chrome? Because that's a specific feature of that extension. (And a setting you have to turn on, so if you also got Enhancer in FF you'll need to do so.)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Klyith posted:

Did you have Enhancer for Youtube extension in Chrome? Because that's a specific feature of that extension. (And a setting you have to turn on, so if you also got Enhancer in FF you'll need to do so.)

Yes, and it is enabled but doesn't appear to work but good to know where to start looking now

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I think my slowness issue was because ublock origin was blocking https://www.gstatic.com/youtube/img/lottie/animated_like_icon/animated_like_icon_v2_light.json

It tried to read it hunderds of thousands of times

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there something like ClearURLs for Firefox on Android?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kheldarn posted:

I don't think so. However, you could enable the "AdGuard URL Tracking Protection" list in uBlock Origin. When you visit a URL, it will remove the tracking links. You can then copy/paste that URL into wherever you need. The downside is that it doesn't re-write URLs on the page; it only strips the URL only when you actually visit it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kheldarn posted:

I have the Firefox flavor of that very extension installed in Mull using this trick, though from another collection (16201230, What-I-want-on-Fenix). It should work on regular Firefox by now, I think?

I've had no problems with any of it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

I don't think so. However, you could enable the "AdGuard URL Tracking Protection" list in uBlock Origin. When you visit a URL, it will remove the tracking links. You can then copy/paste that URL into wherever you need. The downside is that it doesn't re-write URLs on the page; it only strips the URL only when you actually visit it.
This is pretty drat neat, thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nalin posted:

This one is good too, and gets updates basically every day.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt/master/LegitimateURLShortener.txt

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The good thing about filtersets is that you can have multiple of them so even if there's overlap, that gets deduplicated.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Is there a way to remove this "Search with Google" thing that shows up when you click on (but not type in) the address bar?

I did a refresh of Firefox because I've had some problems in the past few days with random pages failing to load (which then instantly load in Edge) so I have to get some of my custom settings back. I don't remember this being there before but maybe I'd just gotten used to it? I've turned off "Search engines" for address bar suggestions but that didn't do it.

The refresh didn't work either... nor simply disabling uBlock. Anyone else having issues loading sites? Sometimes ctrl-f5 fixes it, or closing and re-opening the browser.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try one of these about:config settings:

browser.search.suggest.enabled
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
browser.urlbar.showSearchSuggestionsFirst
browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Those didn't work unfortunately. It's not a big deal so I suppose I can live with it.

I guess if this issue I've been having with slowdowns / broken sites doesn't resolve in a bit I might consider migrating to Edge or something else though. I have to assume it's related to the 107 release, the timing seems to line up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also try making the search box separate from the URL bar, I think that might affect it too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

Is there a way to remove this "Search with Google" thing that shows up when you click on (but not type in) the address bar?

maybe?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Still there sadly. Appreciate the help though!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanks for this, I had no idea it existed!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sway Grunt posted:

Still there sadly. Appreciate the help though!

possibly setting these to 0?
browser.urlbar.tabToSearch.onboard.interactionsLeft
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint

It's weird because that doesn't happen for me even on the vanilla alt profile I have for testing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Those didn't work either. But! I actually figured it out just now. I only managed to get rid of it if I unchecked "Shortcuts" for address bar suggestions (but I didn't cause I wanted to keep the rest). So I opened Firefox Home in a new tab (I usually never see this page cause I have new tabs set to blank), which shows you the shortcuts, and you can right-click and dismiss or unpin any of them. I also see now there's a "Sponsored shortcuts" option to uncheck in Settings which might have done it? Maybe.

Thanks for the help in any case, happy to see it gone.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I'm really being punished for using Other Bookmarks to track stuff I want to go back to (and never do :v:). Seems like every time I install FF and sync it adds some other weird bullshit to it. Now I've got this weird Unfiled folder it's adding automatically on a fresh sync. I also have several copies of my bookmarks toolbar hanging out in there. What bizarre behavior.

Any ideas on how I could get this properly set up to stop making these weird recursive folders?

Edit: I just went for it and started deleting stuff, seems to have sorted it out. No more crashing when I interact with it, either.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 22, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sway Grunt posted:

Go to about :config and set browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts to false.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quackles posted:

Go to about :config and set browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts to false.
That OID contains almost 300 bits of entropy, which in theory is enough for a password :psypop:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sort of Firefox-related, since it is Thunderbird:

For the past two updates, I've noticed a "Subscription Summary" folder that is being auto-generated on my Thunderbird accounts. I don't know if it is a Gmail or Thunderbird thing, but I can't delete the folder without it coming back after a Thunderbird restart.

Anyone else notice it? I haven't found any information on it, since "subscription summary" are apparently way too generic of terms to search for or something?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Is this on a mac? I came across this, but I don't really know what any of it means.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What in the hell is going on with Firefox right now?

Is there a gigantic memory leak in the newest update? Because every single page I open is now telling me that "the page is slowing down Firefox" including pages made of nothing but text and like a dozen 30x30 pixel images, such as pages from these fabulous dead gay forums. Already rebooted my PC and all that stuff. I just now closed a single youtube tab and my task manager showed 5 GB of RAM cleared immediately. It was a 2 minute video. I middle clicked open about 5 youtube tabs and before my PC's RAM maxed out and the browser would no longer function.

Just sitting here watching task manager and RAM is going nuts. Firefox is the only thing open. It will spike up 5-6 GB for a minute or two then empty out right back to where it was before that.

Mozilla must be trying even harder to kill the browser than they usually do.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 30, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

What in the hell is going on with Firefox right now?

Is there a gigantic memory leak in the newest update? Because every single page I open is now telling me that "the page is slowing down Firefox" including pages made of nothing but text and like a dozen 30x30 pixel images, such as pages from these fabulous dead gay forums. Already rebooted my PC and all that stuff. I just now closed a single youtube tab and my task manager showed 5 GB of RAM cleared immediately. It was a 2 minute video. I middle clicked open about 5 youtube tabs and before my PC's RAM maxed out and the browser would no longer function.

Mozilla must be trying even harder to kill the browser than they usually do.

It might not be Firefox. A couple of people posted about getting a similar message using Safari in the Tech Issues thread

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It might not be Firefox. A couple of people posted about getting a similar message using Safari in the Tech Issues thread

Thanks but it's not just this website. Google sites and multiple other unrelated forums are doing it as well. The browser itself is the most likely common variable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How many and which extensions are you using?

Canvasblocker for instance can absolutely murder performance anywhere a lot of canvas calls or webgl is being used.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm seeing the same poo poo, just got uBlock Origin.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm seeing the same poo poo, just got uBlock Origin.

I have uBlock Origin but I've had it for a long time and have never seen performance issues until today.

My extensions:
DarkReader
uBlock Origin
Video DownloadHelper

vv: Yep, I'm saying I've had uBlock for a while and performance has been fine so I'm thinking it's probably not that, out of the remaining variables.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 30, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GreatGreen posted:

I have ublock origin but I've had it for a long time and have never seen performance issues until today.

I ain't saying it's uBlock Origin, I'm saying it has to be either uBlock or Firefox itself.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Seems like a Youtube thing. Anything that has a Youtube video embed takes a poo poo. Youtube itself loads up inconsistently. Sometimes works fine and other times freezes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Use about :profiles or firefox.exe -P to get the profile manager & test out a clean profile.

If you have no problems with a clean profile, it's time to check your extensions followed by anything in about :config

edit: oh actually a YT video does take 3GB of ram, nevermind. Hadn't noticed. Looks like youtube is doing something fucky

edit 2: hmm, it doesn't happen every time. just quit firefox, reopened, loaded a YT vid, and it didn't blow up the memory.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 30, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Seems like a Youtube thing. Anything that has a Youtube video embed takes a poo poo. Youtube itself loads up inconsistently. Sometimes works fine and other times freezes.

Yeah, I'm only seeing it when YouTube's involved, pretty sure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah something's going on with Youtube for sure. Freezes and hangs all over the place.

E: Embeds are wrecking threads too.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 30, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Good to know I'm not alone in experiencing YouTube poo poo the bed on Firefox today.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was just going to ask if something was happening with Youtube. I've had a Youtube video tab open and it keeps crashing. I wasn't sure if it was Linux, Firefox, or Youtube.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BBcode video embeds are disabled for now to work around this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I haven't noticed the youtube thing myself yet, but my partner happens to be a browser QA guy (for Vivaldi, though), so I quickly talked to him. The obvious question is which video codec youtube is pushing when it fails - they keep changing what they send, and may have started pushing AV1 to more people. Video decoders are exactly the sort of thing that can eat performance and memory, and crash both the browser and drivers if you suddenly start exercising not-quite-solid hardware decoding, so it certainly sounds plausible.

On desktop, you can look at the "stats for nerds" to see the codec used - so if you have some videos that work and some that fail, you could check if they use different codecs?