Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DandyLion posted:

I geek out a fair bit about movie/tv swordfighting and I have hunted for the best examples I can find (in regards to realism).

This is the top of my list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

I believe its a fight choreography group and they made this (along with other) vignette's showing off their stuff.

This is mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs&t=61s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

RandomFerret posted:

Meanwhile, somebody else had to teach Ewan not to make the lightsaber noises with his mouth
I love that in Last Jedi they used a take of Laura Dern firing a blaster where you can clearly see her mouthing "pew" :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pilchenstein posted:

I love that in Last Jedi they used a take of Laura Dern firing a blaster where you can clearly see her mouthing "pew" :v:

When I used to shoot targets I'd make pew pew sounds with my little 22 rifle.

If I was holding a space laser you better believe I'm gonna pew pew all the goddamn time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pilchenstein posted:

None of this is any less dumb than the official reason, which I believe is "he didn't die cause he was really angry" :v:

Anger is stored in the Mauls

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Aleph Null posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buE_jLEZrf4

I've heard they are making another one as well. I've been hearing that for the last few years.

Edit: subtle moment. Holmes closes his eyes because he wants the last thing he sees before he (probably) dies to be his best friend, Watson. Moriarty never imagined that Sherlock Holmes had it in him to sacrifice himself for the love of a dear friend. And that's why he lost.

i like that in the first one this was basically holmes' unbeatable superpower

as the series goes on they increasingly and comically don't go according to plan until this scene where he just goes "gently caress it"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a shoot out seen in Once Upon a Time in Mexico that they actually filmed in the Mexican capitol building. They weren't allowed to fire blanks on the premises so they had to pantomime and edit in the effects later. Banderas kept making gun noises and they had to do lots of takes. I can't remember if one ended up in the final film or not.

Side note: I learned that from the DVD bonus features. Now I'm all nostalgic for those. Streaming platforms more or less killed that experience for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

There's a shoot out seen in Once Upon a Time in Mexico that they actually filmed in the Mexican capitol building. They weren't allowed to fire blanks on the premises so they had to pantomime and edit in the effects later. Banderas kept making gun noises and they had to do lots of takes. I can't remember if one ended up in the final film or not.

Side note: I learned that from the DVD bonus features. Now I'm all nostalgic for those. Streaming platforms more or less killed that experience for me.

Not a subtle moment, but a neat bit of trivia that's sort of related: the entirety of Honey I Shrunk the Kids was filmed in Mexico.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we're talking best movie duels then very few things can top The Deluge. The colonel isn't even trying and when the guy asks him to finish the fight he does so in an instant and manages it without even killing the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljExTEPNFnM

Since The Witcher started this discussion on fight scenes, a fun fact is that this duel is referenced in the Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone expansion when Geralt fights immortal David Beckham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kH0pwMv2gk

As for subtle moments, I've got one from Jurassic Park. When Genarro visits the amber mine and is upset that Hammond isn't there Juanito mentions that Hammond was looking after his daughter because she was going through divorce proceedings. If you listen to Lex and Tim when they first arrive at the island they mention that Hammond sent them gifts before inviting them. So it establishes that Hammond cares deeply for his family and is trying to comfort them during a difficult divorce period, but all of this stuff is incidental to the plot of the film.

I bring this up not as a "blink and you'll miss it" subtle moment, but as a contrast to Jurassic World that uses the same "kids' parents are going through a divorce and they need to reaffirm their family bond" beats with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Michael Crichton books often used theoretical science as the background for pulpy adventure stories, and Spielberg was right to toss out most of the chaos theory and unpredictable systems dialogue from the books to focus on the human interactions in the face of the wonders and perils of unchecked science. It's why Jurassic Park holds up while Jurassic World is cartoonish. The people actually feel like people. Hammond still has the greed and ambition from the book, but Spielberg makes him a much more compelling character by making his main motivations in the film the act of chasing a dream and trying to look after his family, rather than profit margins.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 24, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like in Frasier how they sit at different tables in the coffee shop. They don’t always have the same spot like the friends do in their coffee shop in the tv show Friends

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I like in Frasier how they sit at different tables in the coffee shop. They don’t always have the same spot like the friends do in their coffee shop in the tv show Friends

Once in a while in Seinfeld they'd sit at the counter and I always appreciated the change of pace.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Basebf555 posted:

Once in a while in Seinfeld they'd sit at the counter and I always appreciated the change of pace.

Did you hear Newman died? :ohdear:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I appreciate the input but I’m not sure if this really counts as a subtle moment

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Basebf555 posted:

The scene where all four of them sit at the bar and have trouble maintaining a discussion until they scurry as soon as a booth opens up is hilarious.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

This is because they actually had three different sizes of the coffee shop on Frasier depending on how much room they needed for other sets. Any episode that requires new and/or big sets they don't normally use will end up with one of the smaller versions of the coffee shop, the smallest being when they're all the way against the back wall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I appreciate the input but I’m not sure if this really counts as a subtle moment

poo poo. Uhhhhhh......what about that thing in Jurassic Park how Hammond goes to get ice cream but then he leaves the door open and it ends up saving Tim because the water refreezes on the floor.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did you hear Newman died? :ohdear:

After a quick google search for Wayne Knight who is very much still alive, I have to ask... What?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
At first I thought he was joking by referencing that Paul Newman died. But in fact it was Olivia Neumann John that just passed away.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was Wayne Newman, show some loving respect.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

After a quick google search for Wayne Knight who is very much still alive, I have to ask... What?

It's referencing that scene in Seinfeld when they sit at the counter and can't hold a conversation. Kramer misheard that Newman died because of this.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is because they actually had three different sizes of the coffee shop on Frasier depending on how much room they needed for other sets. Any episode that requires new and/or big sets they don't normally use will end up with one of the smaller versions of the coffee shop, the smallest being when they're all the way against the back wall.

Now this is the type of content I come to this thread for. Thank you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

poo poo. Uhhhhhh......what about that thing in Jurassic Park how Hammond goes to get ice cream but then he leaves the door open and it ends up saving Tim because the water refreezes on the floor.

I’m giving you one more chance to contribute to this thread before I lose my temper

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poonchasta posted:

It's referencing that scene in Seinfeld when they sit at the counter and can't hold a conversation. Kramer misheard that Newman died because of this.

I thought I knew my Seinfeld.

I must watch more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I’m giving you one more chance to contribute to this thread before I lose my temper

In John Wick 3, Wick's rifle runs out of ammo and he chucks it at a dude's face. About 10 seconds before that though, Wick can be seen preparing for the throw by taking the shoulder strap off, meaning he knew how much ammo he had and knew that he might have to throw the rifle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The ape planet had a Statue of Liberty too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

In John Wick 3, Wick's rifle runs out of ammo and he chucks it at a dude's face. About 10 seconds before that though, Wick can be seen preparing for the throw by taking the shoulder strap off, meaning he knew how much ammo he had and knew that he might have to throw the rifle.

Fantastic

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eX-WqmEkFo

Speaking of the coffee shop on Frasier, in season 1 Daphne dates a cute barista working in the shop. That barista is Gabriel Knight! (no, the other one).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

If we're talking best movie duels then very few things can top The Deluge. The colonel isn't even trying and when the guy asks him to finish the fight he does so in an instant and manages it without even killing the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljExTEPNFnM

Since The Witcher started this discussion on fight scenes, a fun fact is that this duel is referenced in the Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone expansion when Geralt fights immortal David Beckham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kH0pwMv2gk

Hot diggity thats a cool fight. My problem with a lot of "realistic" fights, like that Adorea one earlier, is that they focus on technical perfection over having some kind of narrative. But looking at just that fight and you can see the characterisation in how they fight. The soldier dude is clearly an experienced professional, and the other dude is some flamboyant fop who fights like he's unkillable. Eventually the soldier dude gets pissed off with him, and decides to teach him a lesson. There's a couple of dodgy moments, a few blocks that are in place way before a swing, but its much more satisfying to watch than either a poorly choreographed flurry of (film) cuts, or an unfollowably fast flurry of perfect (sword) cuts.

The bit where he gets the fop into a rhythm and fakes him out with a riposte that never comes is a better comic beat than anything Marvel manages in their light-hearted fights.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hot diggity thats a cool fight. My problem with a lot of "realistic" fights, like that Adorea one earlier, is that they focus on technical perfection over having some kind of narrative. But looking at just that fight and you can see the characterisation in how they fight. The soldier dude is clearly an experienced professional, and the other dude is some flamboyant fop who fights like he's unkillable. Eventually the soldier dude gets pissed off with him, and decides to teach him a lesson. There's a couple of dodgy moments, a few blocks that are in place way before a swing, but its much more satisfying to watch than either a poorly choreographed flurry of (film) cuts, or an unfollowably fast flurry of perfect (sword) cuts.

The bit where he gets the fop into a rhythm and fakes him out with a riposte that never comes is a better comic beat than anything Marvel manages in their light-hearted fights.

Even Michael Bay occasionally gets that fight scenes should be a story in themselves. Marvel fights are filler- they literally outsource them to the B-unit.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Finally watched The Crown on Netflix. In the episode 'Dear Mrs Kennedy' the Queen takes to the dance floor to do the foxtrot with another head of state. There's some photographers standing around with period appropriate cameras. One of them has a Graflex flash handle. Now I don't know poo poo about cameras, but that thing I'd recognize anywhere. One of those was the found item that was repurposed into Luke's lightsaber in the original Star Wars.

Later in the same episode JFK's coffin is loaded in to a 1960 Cadillac Miller Mercury hearse. I don't know poo poo about cars either, but that's another thing I'd recognize anywhere. One of those was the Ecto 1 in the original Ghostbusters.

I was amused to see two prop icons doing their day jobs in such rapid succession.

I was going to take screen shots, but Netflix blocked me somehow. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm feeling lazy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

Finally watched The Crown on Netflix. In the episode 'Dear Mrs Kennedy' the Queen takes to the dance floor to do the foxtrot with another head of state. There's some photographers standing around with period appropriate cameras. One of them has a Graflex flash handle. Now I don't know poo poo about cameras, but that thing I'd recognize anywhere. One of those was the found item that was repurposed into Luke's lightsaber in the original Star Wars.

Later in the same episode JFK's coffin is loaded in to a 1960 Cadillac Miller Mercury hearse. I don't know poo poo about cars either, but that's another thing I'd recognize anywhere. One of those was the Ecto 1 in the original Ghostbusters.

I was amused to see two prop icons doing their day jobs in such rapid succession.

I was going to take screen shots, but Netflix blocked me somehow. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm feeling lazy.

I thought the Ecto was either a 58 or 59?

This is equal parts :goonsay: and :colbert: but I also know poo poo about cars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deoju posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought the Ecto was either a 58 or 59?

The car in that episode of The Royals seems to be a 1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Eureka hearse and Ecto-1 was a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor. There's very little difference between the '59 and '60 Caddies (the main ones I always look for are that the lights on the front bumper of the '59 are rounder and the tail fins are taller and have those 'bullet' indicator lights) and I've seen people turn a '60 Caddie into an Ecto-1 when they couldn't get hold of a '59.

But in any case it was totally the wrong car anyway since it should have been a grey '63 Pontiac Superior. :v:

Here's the car they used in the TV episode:

(A white '64 Cadillac Miller-Meteor was also used to carry JFK's casket from Parkland Memorial Hospital to Air Force One.)

Edit: here's a 1960 Cadillac Miller-Meteor that someone turned into an Ecto-1, anyone but the most :goonsay: nerd (like me) would probably be really hard pressed to point out anything wrong with it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That Goon who makes movie car recreations said it’s fairly impossible to find those hearses anymore.

Obviously someone managed to find one to do it, but it probably cost a lot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

That Goon who makes movie car recreations said it’s fairly impossible to find those hearses anymore.

Obviously someone managed to find one to do it, but it probably cost a lot.

Yeah apparently they only made 200 or 300 of the '59 Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearses so it'd be a miracle to find one that has come through those 61 years in decent enough shape that you could get it running, let alone it happens to be for sale and you just happen to find it before it's snapped up by someone else.

I know of one guy who made a screen accurate Ecto-1 and he'd been looking for years and years and years and had actually given up when he accidentally stumbled on one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought many of the Netflix Marvel fights were pretty stellar. Punisher, Daredevil...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Favorite is still the one between Cap and the Winter soldier in the street.

Close second is the hallway fight in the first season of Daredevil.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought many of the Netflix Marvel fights were pretty stellar. Punisher, Daredevil...

Daredevil is a nice comparison with its single-take fights.

The S1 hallway fight is great - there's a narrative to it, the stakes are set (the way the camera pans down the corridor and back again before the fight to show you where everybody is starting), it's an endurance fight, and Daredevil visible slows down as he's taking a beating. And the dude getting clonked with a microwave is funny as hell (c.f. Every Frame a Painting's "things entering the frame is always funny")

But in S2 we have no idea where he's trying to get to. We don't know the environment, we don't know the forces. He doesn't change how he fights, a clip from the end would look much the same as a clip from the start. It's entirely a feat of choreography with no narrative to it.

Ironically Luke Cage never did a single shot fight, even though his invulnerability and nonchalant attitude would be great for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s a stairwell that was shown earlier in the scene. He’s trying to get outside.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I might be misremembering, but it didn't feel anywhere near as a clear as the S1 hallway. Doesn't he get a lift somewhere as well?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He puts a knocked out Punisher in an elevator and is trying to go down, but all the bikers show up so he fights them. He never takes the elevator himself, since Frank escapes.

The stairs he fights down are shown slightly earlier in the episode as it cuts to all the bikers showing up at the building.

He's in his body armor though so it loses the growing exhaustion of the first fight that makes doing it in a one shot fit so well, and it's just an action scene. But then again most one shot scenes aren't done for any particular purpose anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
That daredevil season 1 fight is only good because it's ripping off Oldboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc