Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
NW Poland has "Article 5 Trumped" variant which gives the Allies 50 VPs in exchange for no US units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah that board is dwarfed by a lot of things I can think of. But maybe there's an asterisk on that for like "largest boardgame in one box" or something.

I don't think WiF beats 23,000 counters, though.

e:also they look corner-clipped!

Yeah, they must be going on counters alone because there are games with maps way bigger than this.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

You can get every rulebook and play aid for all the NW games in a OneDrive folder the developer has shared...

...except for the CRT! Cheeky game companies, insuring that people actually BUY their products...

I sent an email

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Phi230 posted:

I sent an email

I replied to an email

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
NWIP has the most permissive nuclear use rules out of any of the Next War games. If you don't have any foreign intervention, it's always profitable in terms of VPs.

I mean Poland lets both sides first strike but you can instalose every time you do it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

NWIP has the most permissive nuclear use rules out of any of the Next War games. If you don't have any foreign intervention, it's always profitable in terms of VPs.

I mean Poland lets both sides first strike but you can instalose every time you do it.

There was a game that I worked with Decision Games on* that had a similar nuclear conceit, and involved India-Pakistan. You could fire a nuke, but you had to roll for immediate loss, and each time you fired a nuke, you added more DRMs to the lose roll.

*I made the Vassal module, I had nothing to do with the game design.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Mitchell Land mentioned he's working on the next NW game but it's not ready for P500. I asked if he could give me a hint, and all said was "I like trilogies?"

HMMM.

I'm guessing something that fits in with Taiwan and Korea. China vs somebody?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

COOL CORN posted:

Mitchell Land mentioned he's working on the next NW game but it's not ready for P500. I asked if he could give me a hint, and all said was "I like trilogies?"

HMMM.

China vs. a coalition lead by Vietnam :hist101: That could be interesting.

Maybe something in Central Asia.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

HMMM.

Japan maybe.

Next War interests me thematically and theoretically but I know I'd never be able to really get into it solo or play it multiplayer, due to complexity. Though I find it a little surprising that I'm OK with NW thematically when I still consider ADP too recent (and Labyrinth too distasteful, but that's another matter).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

HMMM.

Ask him if I can buy Supplement 2 yet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would also lust for Next War Iran

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Could be Next War India China. I dunno what it could offer that IP doesn't though.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
China vs. Russia has been another popular one.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone had a chance to try Fort Sumter yet?

On the one hand it looks really neat, I love me some Mark Herman and it'll be nice to have something that's within the wargame wheelhouse that you can play in <30 mins.

On the other hand it's a nice GMT production that carries the premium with it. It feels like paying the £40 for something so short and comparatively light is a bit much, and I may as well just chuck in an extra £15 or so for Colonial Twilight even though that would rarely hit the table.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CaptainApathyUK posted:

On the one hand it looks really neat, I love me some Mark Herman and it'll be nice to have something that's within the wargame wheelhouse that you can play in <30 mins.

On the other hand it's a nice GMT production that carries the premium with it. It feels like paying the £40 for something so short and comparatively light is a bit much, and I may as well just chuck in an extra £15 or so for Colonial Twilight even though that would rarely hit the table.

It's GMT's take on 13 days. I'm not sure I care too much for it, to be quite honest.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I played three games of it in about 60 minutes with my main wargaming buddy. We picked it up on preorder as we are both Herman fans and love CDGs, so $25 bucks was a no brainer. The mechanics of the game are quite simple. Play a card for ops or for the event, place influence, and then it's the next person's turn. Do this 9 times and game is over. The strategy, however, is much more nuanced. Most of the conflict in the game comes from trying to dominate the game's four crisis dimensions, as this gives you the ability to remove your opponent's influence at the end of a round. We found that if you are caught up in fulfilling your objective and not paying attention to how your opponent is playing, you can see an entire turn's worth of work totally flushed down the tubes. You've gotta be able to balance foiling your opponent's plans with attempting to accomplish your own objective.

We found the balance of the game to be pretty tight. Out of our three matches, the Unionist won twice, and all three games were decided by a single point. One game came down to the Fort Sumter tiebreaker. It's a great experience if you want a game with a decent amount of strategic depth and a short playtime. It's also a great game to have around for playing with normal people. It isn't overly thematic/historical and most people should be able to understand the rules fairly easily. Of course, if they aren't strategy gamers or lawyers you'll probably trash them, but at least you'll get it to the table more often than Cuba Libre.

Anarchy Stocking fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 27, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just got Gulf Strike 3e in the mail and my amazement of seeing a Next War ancestor was diminished by the fact that the previous owner treated this poor game horribly!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phi230 posted:

I just got Gulf Strike 3e in the mail and my amazement of seeing a Next War ancestor was diminished by the fact that the previous owner treated this poor game horribly!

My Next War: India/Pakistan is coming in next week so i'll be able to play then. You do need one of the Next War games to play any of the vassal modules since you need a few charts that aren't in the module, most notably the CRT.

I'm kinda bothered that there's not a lot of NATO on the offensive content in the Next War series- the closest thing to a coalition invasion is the Loose Nukes scenario in NWIP or perhaps Unification with a heavy US intervention. All the more reason why NWIP seems like the best one in the series. The next most interesting one to me is Taiwan.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Phi and I have plans to play NW:IP Saturday night (I forgot to ask him what time zone he's in...). When I know more, we can probably figure out Discord/Vassal info for those that want to watch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

My Next War: India/Pakistan is coming in next week so i'll be able to play then. You do need one of the Next War games to play any of the vassal modules since you need a few charts that aren't in the module, most notably the CRT.

I have everything Next War has to offer except Supplement 2

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Phi and I have plans to play NW:IP Saturday night (I forgot to ask him what time zone he's in...). When I know more, we can probably figure out Discord/Vassal info for those that want to watch.

I can skulk about on vassal and stalk you guys and probably answer advanced game rule questions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

I have everything Next War has to offer except Supplement 2

If you have Korea, I'm wildly jealous. I have IP and Taiwan, and Poland coming soon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Korea was my first ever hexenkounter I got about 3 years ago. It's still my favorite of all time but I desperately wanna get into OCS

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I set up the first NWIP advanced scenario, and have spent an hour working through through the first turn just up to the first strike phase (I'm up to the supply phase now). I haven't even thought about a single ground unit yet.

I have no idea if I'm even doing things right, but it's a blast. The ROI has already had two HQs -2 striked, an airfield destroyed, and the 2-16 helo destroyed :cry: . The IROP missile capability mixed with the PRC aircrafts (they're at level 4 intervention) is nuts.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Phi230 posted:

There's an amazing scenario in there where Russia decides to invade Iran. It is as fun as it was improbable. Highly recommend it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I set up the first NWIP advanced scenario, and have spent an hour working through through the first turn just up to the first strike phase (I'm up to the supply phase now). I haven't even thought about a single ground unit yet.

I have no idea if I'm even doing things right, but it's a blast. The ROI has already had two HQs -2 striked, an airfield destroyed, and the 2-16 helo destroyed :cry: . The IROP missile capability mixed with the PRC aircrafts (they're at level 4 intervention) is nuts.

Yeah this is where I fail at it. I get so wrapped up in the intricacies of hitting this or that and then the air phase that by the time ground units get to move I no longer remember what I had in mind for them. Its more an issue on the first turn, once things get rolling its fine.

The last game of I played had notes and arrows scribbled all over the plexiglass. I loved it and will be setting up again soon. Poland is ready to go but a little too big for my table. Both maps fit but with no wriggle room. Taiwan maybe. Those naval rules cant be all that bad can they?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

The HQs do have to be detected to be hit, but yeah the initial missile strike can be pretty powerful. Also make sure you're using the scud column and not the cruise missile column.

The air defense systems on both sides are not very good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

The HQs do have to be detected to be hit, but yeah the initial missile strike can be pretty powerful. Also make sure you're using the scud column and not the cruise missile column.

The air defense systems on both sides are not very good.

The IROP side passed every single electronic detection, hitting 4 HQs. :cry: (3 IROP + 1 PRC)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

The IROP side passed every single electronic detection, hitting 4 HQs. :cry: (3 IROP + 1 PRC)

Ouch

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Renegade Legion: Prefect came in the mail, unpunched and still in shrinkwrap! Good condition considering it's older than I am.

FASA's 1992 catalogue came with it, what a blast from the past.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Finished my first mission of Skies above the Reich. 1942 Outbound intercept with 6 Me109s. The first wave gets shot up bad and half limp back. In exchange they force one bomber to fall, and allied friendly fire severely damages another bomber. I decide the remaining planes will circle back to attack the damaged bomber and then pursue the fallen bomber. An okay idea, if it hadn't been for the Spitfires arriving. My fighters failed to kill the damaged bomber (9/10 damage), then the Spitfires killed one fighter (and pilot) and forced the other two to disengage before I could send them on pursuit. Meanwhile, the damaged fighters all crashed resulting in a death, a wound, and a bailout.
Final result: 0 VP, 1 EP, 2 KIA, 1 WIA. Might not make it through 1942.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Do I need both expansions for Space Empires?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

DJ Dizzy posted:

Do I need both expansions for Space Empires?

Depends, the first one has a bunch of modular addons that I think really enhance the gameplay like unique abilities, the second one adds tiles that map the map look prettier and an alternate faction that can be used for a fifth player. I would recommend both but the base game holds up really well so my verdict issss buy everything

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

COOL CORN posted:

Brian Train's newest COIN - "Thunder Out Of China"

1937 China, factions are Nationalists, Communists, Japanese, warlords.

Whoah, I was at CSW Expo too. Brian Train was really cool to talk to.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Huskalator posted:

Whoah, I was at CSW Expo too. Brian Train was really cool to talk to.

I wasn't at CSW, I just got this off of someone's Facebook :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Austerlitz: Rising Eagles is coming in the mail today :woop: I know a few Nappy games players who say that the system is better than La Bat. We'll just see about that!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Banana Man posted:

Depends, the first one has a bunch of modular addons that I think really enhance the gameplay like unique abilities, the second one adds tiles that map the map look prettier and an alternate faction that can be used for a fifth player. I would recommend both but the base game holds up really well so my verdict issss buy everything

After looking on the internets, where the heck does one buy the first expansion.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

COOL CORN posted:

I wasn't at CSW, I just got this off of someone's Facebook :)

Ah, right on. It's a small expo so I was wracking my brain to figure out who you could have been!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

After looking on the internets, where the heck does one buy the first expansion.

From a local shop that still has leftover stock. For the longest time that was available but not the base game, now it's the other way around. Hopefully the next printing will be out in a year or so, but GMT...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Austerlitz: Rising Eagles is coming in the mail today :woop: I know a few Nappy games players who say that the system is better than La Bat. We'll just see about that!

Why the gently caress would you want any austerlitz game except NT, anyway. ;)