Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

does any class blight well in the second position on the right?

Plague Doctor can use Noxious Blast in that position, it's pretty good. She often ends up in that position after being shuffled.

Thuryl posted:

The only class I can think of that has a blight from that position is Abomination. It's probably his worst skill, but he can do it.

True, I wouldn't say his Blight is amazing, but if you can stack it with the Plague Doctor, it's much more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I use noxious blast a lot but generally my plague doctor is at the back. I assume that upgrading my plague docs weapons should be low priority since its all stun/blight/heal with very little upfront damage?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

I use noxious blast a lot but generally my plague doctor is at the back. I assume that upgrading my plague docs weapons should be low priority since its all stun/blight/heal with very little upfront damage?

You'd probably do fine in Champion dungeons if your Plague Doctor had level 4 weapons and level 5 armor. Armor upgrades are pretty much mandatory, since Spearfishing Piranha men love destroying an extra squishy target.

Are you doing Antiquarian runs? It will really help bring in some much needed cash for upgrades.

The Skeleton King posted:

Managed to finish the second DD mission with Occultist, Bounty Hunter, Man-at-Arms, and Leper.

Congrats, many people consider that DD mission to be the hardest, and you did it without a reliable healer, which is awesome. :rip: to your team, but at least you finished it. I'd suggest taking your time and building up a nice new main tank for DD mission 3.

Also, if you're considering the Arbalest as a secondary healer, I'd recommend her. She has an Uncommon trinket, Medic's Greaves, which boosts her healing ability by 33%. It adds up quickly since her bandage adds +20% healing received.

Rallying Flare is also extremely useful for clearing stuns, debuffs, and marks.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 6, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Men at arms tend to be my most common casualties. Not sure why, but I've lost like 10 so far this run.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The Skeleton King posted:

Men at arms tend to be my most common casualties. Not sure why, but I've lost like 10 so far this run.

Yeah, sometimes things just don't go as planned. This was from an earlier encounter, but it reminded me of your DD mission 2 experience. But hey, at least you finished your mission:

:ghost:

The Siren stole my Grave Robber, who proceeded to murder everybody with huge crits. (Dunno why it says Week 1, it's a bug.)

Remember to bring plenty of people who can stun, plus Holy Waters, and plenty of debuff resistance for that boss.

I should also mention that I approached this boss with the wrong strategy. You can stun whoever is charmed, and reduce the incoming damage by targeting them with Weakening Curse. So it wasn't just bad RNG.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 6, 2017

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Well there was your problem.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What are some quirks i should be reinforcing?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

What are some quirks i should be reinforcing?

In general, anything that boosts your character's protection, speed, damage, dodge, accuracy, MAX HP, critical chance, or provides resistance (including Stun).

Tough (10% MAX HP), Hard Skinned (+10% Protection), Evasive (+5 dodge), Quick Reflexes (+2 speed), Clotter (15% Bleed Resist), and Unyielding (+10% Death Blow Resist) are great quirks for tanks.

Eldritch Hater (+15% Damage inflicted and -15% Stress Damage taken vs Eldritch)
Eldritch Slayer (+10 Accuracy and +3% Critical Chance vs Eldritch)

Two personal favorites, but they're harder to find.

Quickdraw (+4 Speed on first round) is good on a Plague Doctor, because you can stun the back row pretty quickly. I like speed boosts and taking the initiative.

Fated is pretty overrated, imo. I locked it in on a few characters, and they've still missed. Maybe it's been patched, but I wouldn't recommend it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Depends on the character - the Leper gets tons of mileage out of precise striker (+3% crt melee), natural swing (+5 melee ACC), slugger (+10% melee DMG), and tough (+10% HP)
Occultist is amazing with eldrich hater & slayer. Same with crusader & unholy slayer/hater.

Basically - what's the character's niche and strengthen that, what's their weakness and buff that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Week 1? How is it possible to attack the Siren on week 1?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I pretty much only go for damage and speed. Eldritch > Beast > Human > Unholy. Speed trumping most else. ACC is important to but caps at 90% and since you should usually be rolling with sun/moon rings you usually are okay in that area.

Rationale being that you want to outspeed and leverage as much into OHK's or 2HKO's as possible. Getting an extra 1-2 damage out there is better than shaving off the same amount. You're trying to stack the fight in your favor and deny your enemies action as much h as possible. Learning this is the #1 most important thing and how you avoid stressed or dead characters. Whether a fight will go good or not is usually decided on the first turn.

Granted, don't turn your nose up to a free lock in of a defensive perk. It just should never out prioritize a damage dealer going faster and hurting more.

Secretly +bleed resist is really good, because it will make the already easy Cove even more brainless and help you a ton in the DD.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

it's a bug that happens occasionally, savegames can get weird

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mzbundifund posted:

Some kind of bug? Maybe "Week 100" was being displayed as "Week 1," I don't know.

My theory is that the game owned my party so hard that it broke. The rest of the Graveyard reports the correct week.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Makaris posted:

Well there was your problem.

The hell he was. Motherfucker was killing fuckers right and left. He had more kills than everyone else combined. I had him slam the growths and priests in the front rows down in two turns flat. Then I had him tank Templar and give zero shits. He was excellent. Too bad occ died from blight or my leper would've survived the final hit.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
There is a good (basically 100%) chance that if higher priority targets had been killed faster or stunned, everyone would have come out alive. And sane.

Edit: lepers don't kill things left and right. They only kill things to the left. :eng101: that's kind of there problem.

Edit2: You're extra lucky he ended up Virtuous.

The game's RNG can be controlled with the right comps and the Leper is probably the least suited at the moment. They can carry hard early game where comp doesn't matter as much. But late game they give a false impression that they're really good, but actually they are not serving a function on the team conducive to mitigating risk or neutralizing the real threats.

They're just the last to die after sacrificing the rest of the party.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The DD missions don't really adhere as closely to the "dangerous squishy enemies in back, tame tanky enemies in front" encounter model. The back row is where they usually shove the rapturous cultists and defensive cells, so 90% of the time the most dangerous enemy is going to be well within the leper's reach. The leper has other problems but this is the one place in the game where murdering the gently caress out of the front row is optimal.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Makaris posted:

The game's RNG can be controlled with the right comps and the Leper is probably the least suited at the moment. They can carry hard early game where comp doesn't matter as much. But late game they give a false impression that they're really good, but actually they are not serving a function on the team conducive to mitigating risk or neutralizing the real threats.

They're just the last to die after sacrificing the rest of the party.

So, what you're trying to say is that the Leper is...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Straight White Shark posted:

The DD missions don't really adhere as closely to the "dangerous squishy enemies in back, tame tanky enemies in front" encounter model. The back row is where they usually shove the rapturous cultists and defensive cells, so 90% of the time the most dangerous enemy is going to be well within the leper's reach. The leper has other problems but this is the one place in the game where murdering the gently caress out of the front row is optimal.

DD 2 and 3 maybe. Bringing a leper to the Shuffling Horror is just begging for death.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

does any class blight well in the second position on the right?

apparently the positions are 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 on your side, and 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 on the enemy side

so if you're after someone who blights rank 2, the grave robber can fling toxic darts (ain't excellent, she could easily be lunging or stunning that spot), the abomination can vomit goat phlegm all over them, the plague doctor (or Sexy Plague Doctor) can nox-blast if she's in the front two rows, and the antiquarian can toxic vapour things and make it easier to further blight things (but it's a real bad skill because she is an antiquarian until level 5, whereupon it is just quite bad)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i meant position 2 on my team then. That and healing in that position are something i'd like unless i'm missing something obvious. would provide a far bigger amount of group compositions

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Vestal group heal works in rank 2. There's even a weird trinket for speccing her into use Hand of Light in that position. Profane scroll or something?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

grobber or abomination would be the best blighting bets; as for healers, you're stuck with the non-dedicated ones i guess (arbalest and crusader)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tylana posted:

Vestal group heal works in rank 2. There's even a weird trinket for speccing her into use Hand of Light in that position. Profane scroll or something?

The vestal has such bad dodge and ordinary health that I can't figure out what the point of this trinket is, unless you are really committed to running the Nuns with Puns group title (vestal/vestal/jester/vestal)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jedah posted:

Fated is pretty overrated, imo. I locked it in on a few characters, and they've still missed. Maybe it's been patched, but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's "a chance" to turn any miss into a hit, not "never miss", so I don't know why you'd expect them to not still miss sometimes. Agreed that it's overrated though, and I wish it was more specific about what the chance is. The game is pretty good about giving you percentages for most things. Also did anyone ever figure out if it affects enemy dodge rates or just actual "miss"es?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Digirat posted:

The vestal has such bad dodge and ordinary health that I can't figure out what the point of this trinket is, unless you are really committed to running the Nuns with Puns group title (vestal/vestal/jester/vestal)

She gets a really nice debuff skill when she's in the front two ranks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

It's "a chance" to turn any miss into a hit, not "never miss", so I don't know why you'd expect them to not still miss sometimes. Agreed that it's overrated though, and I wish it was more specific about what the chance is. The game is pretty good about giving you percentages for most things. Also did anyone ever figure out if it affects enemy dodge rates or just actual "miss"es?

Miss =/= Dodge meaning Fated actually isn't even that good, since most of your whiffed hits are actually the enemy dodging rather than you missing.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Profane Scroll

+15% DMG
+30% Debuff Skill Chance
+10% PROT if in position 2
+33% Healing Skills if in position 2
+15% Stress

stack with like, Heavy Boots for move resist and more prot, and it's an interesting gimmick.

A bit like the Rank4 shield for MAA.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Agreed that it's overrated though, and I wish it was more specific about what the chance is. The game is pretty good about giving you percentages for most things. Also did anyone ever figure out if it affects enemy dodge rates or just actual "miss"es?

I don't know the exact mechanics behind Fated, but from my experience, it's a less appealing option than locking in a quirk like Natural Swing (+5 accuracy), or anything that boosts damage/accuracy.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Miss =/= Dodge meaning Fated actually isn't even that good, since most of your whiffed hits are actually the enemy dodging rather than you missing.

Yeah, Champion dungeon monsters have a considerable dodge boost, which creates some good times. I love when the Brigand Matchman dodges everything, and your party gets nuked by a 16 pound death cannon. I've never had that thing Misfire before, it wants me dead.

Edit:

On a side note, how the heck do you play this game with a controller? I tried with a PS3 controller, but just felt like an idiot as I bumbled through the menus. Maybe I just need more practice? Mouse/keyboard feels extremely comfortable and intuitive in comparison. I love that they added the option to use a controller, though.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedah posted:

how the heck do you play this game with a controller? I tried with a PS3 controller, but just felt like an idiot as I bumbled through the menus. Maybe I just need more practice?

Been playing RPGs on consoles for 30 years, since the first Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. You get used to navigating menus with a controller.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

Jedah posted:

On a side note, how the heck do you play this game with a controller? I tried with a PS3 controller, but just felt like an idiot as I bumbled through the menus. Maybe I just need more practice? Mouse/keyboard feels extremely comfortable and intuitive in comparison. I love that they added the option to use a controller, though.

I play with the mouse AND a PS3 controller. Navigating the town/equipping my characters is easier for me if I just point and click. Navigating the dungeons isn't too difficult once you figure it out. Figuring it out did involve me me forcing my way through obstacles instead of using the shovel a few times though. Instincts made me press X instead of triangle.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Digirat posted:

It's for when you really have to slap together a random team and vestal is stuck out front. Or for fun.

On another note, I abandoned my ng+ all darkness run. The Vestal famine meant I couldn't get real comps together until week 30 and it was just getting to painful.

I went back to my regular ng+ and completed it. Week 80, not a single death, maybe 3 stress treatments the entire game, and all hard bosses cleared just cause.

I think I'll post my roster and teams I used tomorrow.

Ng+ no light round 2 here we go.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do you start earning loads more gold later on because while I can buy skills/weapons/armour every now and then reinforcing a quirk is expensive as hell

What are the better camping skills? I'm not really fond of -15% stress in battle

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stuff gets cheaper as you upgrade the town

quirk reinforcement is a nice-to-have rather than something you should be spending lots of money on

camp skills vary by character. man at arms has great party buffs; leper has great self-buffs; antiquarian gives you free trinkets; grave robber and plague doctor can cure your diseases for free. if you want stress control you could look at the vestal or jjj. jjjeee... the jjjjjjjjj. the jester.

percentage bonuses are p good because they tend to be rounded in your favour.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arbalest gets arguably the best camp buff in the game: +2 speed to all party members.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

rydiafan posted:

Been playing RPGs on consoles for 30 years, since the first Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. You get used to navigating menus with a controller.
Nice, I loved those RPGs while growing up. FF Tactics with the PS controller brings back great memories. I'm just too conditioned to use a mouse/keyboard for DD, since that was the only option available until recently.

Waldo138 posted:

I play with the mouse AND a PS3 controller. Navigating the town/equipping my characters is easier for me if I just point and click. Navigating the dungeons isn't too difficult once you figure it out. Figuring it out did involve me me forcing my way through obstacles instead of using the shovel a few times though. Instincts made me press X instead of triangle.

That's funny, because that's exactly what I did, too. :) I was navigating the Hamlet/trinket menus with the mouse, and moving through dungeons with a controller. If it works, it works, right?

Makaris posted:

I went back to my regular ng+ and completed it. Week 80, not a single death, maybe 3 stress treatments the entire game, and all hard bosses cleared just cause.
Congrats, that's a huge accomplishment. I didn't attempt the hard bosses on NG+, but I'm impressed you cleared them with zero deaths. My NG+ strategy was to do a ton of longer Antiquarian runs for upgrade money. I also relied on the Bloodthirst Ring(s) quite a bit, since they save you cash and inventory space. It was not terribly exciting, but it was pretty cost efficient.

Now that you've crushed NG+, what else is there to do?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I was considering posting guides and starting a NG+ all darkness run again. Also wait for the expansion. :(

Posting some roster advice that also ends up roughly forming a tier list. Ordered into three tiers based on how many you should have on your roster. I stacked them inside the teir's roughly to my preference. I was surprised while writing this how tight it ended up feeling. The game is very well balanced.

I'll probably post sample builds and party comp stuff for each, maybe starting from the top? Depends on interest.

Edit: Some classes, are placed a bit lower only because another classes just does the same kind of job, but usually better. Graverobber vs. Highwayman for example.

4+ TIER
- Universally useful. Most parties should have at least one, or both, of these classes.
VESTAL
HOUNDMASTER

3-4 TIER
- Extremely useful. Easy to fit into comps, and strong vs. most threats.
HELLION
PLAGUE DOCTOR
GRAVE ROBBER
BOUNTY HUNTER
MAN-AT-ARMS

0-2 TIER
- Situational. Helpful early game, or a decent stand-ins when bored of running the staples. Also some can be an extremely strong counter to some bosses.
OCCULTIST
ARBALEST
HIGHWAYMAN
ABOMINATION
JESTER
CRUSADER
LEPER
ANTIQUARIAN

Makaris fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've been running four vestals for the past six months and i've never been happier

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Makaris posted:

Tier List

Thanks, this is helpful. Why do you rate Arbalests so low? I find they're really valuable back line damage and secondary healing. I'd rank them about the same as a grave robber, tbh.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. Why do you rate Arbalests so low? I find they're really valuable back line damage and secondary healing. I'd rank them about the same as a grave robber, tbh.

That's fair. Arbalest is really good. I personally just think the utility of squeezing out more potential ohko's via lunge and high speed slightly beats out an extra heal. Scout camping skill and disease removal are nice bonuses.

Also I actually like running flex rank vestals, houndmasters, and occultists so being able to switch modes without using a round is nice. Only other class that can open that up are jesters.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Arcturas posted:

I agree. Arbalest has a lot of utility, solid damage, a Mark that helps deal with annoying dodge enemies, and a surprisingly reliable bandage that works well with other classes.

She has great camping skills, too. Marching Plan (+2 SPD to all) was mentioned before, but I also like Restring Crossbow:

+10 ACC Ranged Skills (4 Combats)
+20% DMG Ranged Skills (4 combats)
+5% CRIT Ranged Skills (4 combats)
-2 SPD (4 combats)

Just clear the debuff with some herbs, no biggie. Her other camping skills, Field Dressing and Triage, are pretty nice healing skills, too.

Arbalest just rocks. Maybe consider bumping her up a tier?