Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I played this game back on launch, was kind of frustrated that the entire 50 levels I got as a Warrior, I never got any new gear models and still looked like I was wearing level 3 chainmail, and so I quit and kinda didn't touch the game again. I see the expac is 50% off and the new class looks really cool, I guess my question is has the game improved substantially in the last two+ years? I liked alot of it in theory but much of the game seemed kind of half-baked at launch.

For gear, do hearts and then check what they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My post wasn't really very clear but I meant that was just one of the reasons I quit, I found it got kind of dull around the 50 range. If there were a bunch of armor skins and I just wasn't being observant that's on me.

HoT comes with a token that boosts 1 character straight to 80; while much of PvE is just running around killing easy mobs while exploring for map completion, you can also engage in Dungeons, Fractals, and Raids if those are of interest to you. WvW and PvP also exist, and while I'm not overly fond of either, they can break the tedium.

HoT only added 4 PvE maps, but generally they are more difficult and have large meta-events that are interesting with goods rewards.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Just bought the expac and forgot how hard it is to recover my password. Here's hoping I can remember a character name -___

e: does anyone have a link to the old thread?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If there were a bunch of armor skins and I just wasn't being observant that's on me.

If you only PvE and have no higher level characters, there's (at a cursory glance at the wiki) 14 armour sets (as well as a bunch of individual pieces that don't have a whole matching set) for each weight class in that level range. The number goes up significantly if you PvP or WvW at all ever. Not including weird gemstore stuff, achievement stuff, or GW1 grinding rewards.

The wardrobe system is also good, skins you unlock are shared between characters (and may look very different on different races) and can be changed easily.

Waci fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bit the bullet since a couple of friends decided to hop on too. Is it worth just using the 80 boost or leveling from scratch and saving it for later

Sair
May 11, 2007

You can test drive it without committing, so try out a few classes.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If you like open world PvE, level from scratch. I you don't and just want to get into WvW or HoT maps quickly, just preview it on classes you're thinking of boosting and then use it when your mind is made. Levelling a second (or third, or fifteenth) character is much faster than the first, especially if you do things other than PvE since you swim in account-bound level-up consumables.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Quidnose posted:

Just bought the expac and forgot how hard it is to recover my password. Here's hoping I can remember a character name -___

e: does anyone have a link to the old thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575808

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Thank you! It didn't help but I remembered a character name and I have my account up and running again, hooray~

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I don't think condi engi really ever got nerfed but they were only there for the Vale Guardian split phase anyway, it's all tempest dps on Gorseval and Sabetha.
They nerfed being able to break all bars with one slick shoes, so now other people actually need to chip in on CC every now and then. But yeah, no one wants engi outside of VG anymore.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So what is the best way to farm up skill points? Do the HoT areas just dump a ton on you or something or do I have to do some more world completion on my less played characters to get their elite traits?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
HoT maps have skill points in the environment that you get much like you do in the core game maps, but each one gives 10 points instead of 1. You can also get skill points for Proofs of Heroics, which you get from WvW at a rate of about 5-10 per WvW rank.

If you have a celebration/birthday booster, running around in a WvW zerg that is actually capping stuff is extremely fast if you don't like the HoT maps/it's not Dragon's Stand time/you can't solo many of them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The best option is to run with Schpyders Tuesday night trains, whisper sweet nothings into his ear and he will get your character maxed out or close to it. If you are in SFD, you don't even have to run the alt through silverwastes and can just exit the guild hall to have all the verdant brink waypoints. Dulfy's guides also indicate which ones are soloable, which means no giant monster to kill to get it:

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/26/gw2-auric-basin-hero-points-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/27/gw2-tangled-depths-hero-points-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2015/11/02/gw2-dragons-stand-hero-points-and-strongboxes-guide/

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea join Schpyders folks, shits amazing and hilarious, much fun is had, he even picks up pubs!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Lovetrain don't discriminate, don't need to ticket to ride! :gifttank:

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I jumped on the 50% off HoT train, and decided to get back into GW2. I have reinstalled this game and tried it maybe 5 times now, I have just had a horrible time trying to get into this game.

However, I decided that the problem is with the guardian class. I like playing support characters (tanks or healers), so I assumed guardian would be perfect for me, but after giving up on it 5 times before even getting to 30, I think it is time to try a new class. I loved GW1, I love the art team that is behind it, and I really feel that I should be loving this game a lot more than I do.

So, I have started a revenant at level 1, and I plan to level this class to 80 without boosts. I played human last time, and I might still go back and level my guardian at some point, and I wanted a new story. I can say that I immediately loved the combat 50x more than guardian (but maybe I need to try different weapon sets).

After googling I have come to the conclusion that weaponsmithing is the best craft to take (for ascendant weapons or somesuch?), as it will allow me to craft some kickass weapons, which according to reddit, is way more important than the equivalent armor from armorsmithing? I will probably do armorsmithing at a later date, as the resource cost of leveling a craft is too high for me to bother with more than one.

I plan on using my level 80 token on a warrior, and I wonder if I should do it right away or wait? I do not want to detract from leveling revenant too much, but at the same time, maybe there are some dailies that I really should start doing right away? Maybe to unlock some account bound stuff for my revenant, like glider skill? If I use the token, will I get any level 80 gear and hero points for my warrior?

I primarily want to PvE, and I know the trinity is not in effect in this game, but that there is some need for tanks anyway. Further that the guardians and warriors are actually kinda crappy tanks, but revenant and mesmer (chronomancer?) are ok?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Acidian posted:

After googling I have come to the conclusion that weaponsmithing is the best craft to take (for ascendant weapons or somesuch?), as it will allow me to craft some kickass weapons, which according to reddit, is way more important than the equivalent armor from armorsmithing? I will probably do armorsmithing at a later date, as the resource cost of leveling a craft is too high for me to bother with more than one.

Dont worry about crafting, if you're as new as you sound you probably wont be getting the capital to level weaponsmithing to 500 anytime soon, much less craft ascendeds.

quote:

I plan on using my level 80 token on a warrior, and I wonder if I should do it right away or wait? I do not want to detract from leveling revenant too much, but at the same time, maybe there are some dailies that I really should start doing right away? Maybe to unlock some account bound stuff for my revenant, like glider skill? If I use the token, will I get any level 80 gear and hero points for my warrior?

I think you get a set of exotic soldiers gear which is good for starting out. You also get enough hero points to max out all the vanilla specializations and get all the utility skills. For HoT stuff you need to either WvW or get pve point challenges done in the new zones

quote:

I primarily want to PvE, and I know the trinity is not in effect in this game, but that there is some need for tanks anyway. Further that the guardians and warriors are actually kinda crappy tanks, but revenant and mesmer (chronomancer?) are ok?
The only tanking in this game exists in raids, and that is based solely on gear. If someone wanted to they could tank on an elementalist in celestial gear or something. Either way I've personally never seen a revenant tank. Usually it's chronos (lots of damage mitigation) or necros (second life bar + minions to eat damage or something).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

warrior isnt a great candidate for the 80 boost because they're very fast to level, same goes for revenant

don't bother with crafting until you have at least 100 gold, and be prepared to lose all of it and still not reach the level you need to craft ascended weapons

support/tank aren't a thing until you have a solid understanding of game mechanics because unless you're doing raid content those roles do not exist

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Someone mentioned that they were offering refunds on the difference in price if you had purchased HoT in the last 30 days, which I couldn't find confirmed anywhere, but I figured I'd try anyway, and I can now confirm that it's true if anyone else was wondering.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I guess I will try the warrior for a bit, but I do not think I will have the energy to level revenant, guardian and warrior to 80. I have considered to boost the guardian to 80, but I am worried it will be a waste considering how uninteresting that class has been for me so far. I mostly like plate and melee classes, but I will also check out the mesmer / chronomancer as that class has me intrigued.

I guess I will keep doing weaponsmith for as long as I can be bothered and have the money for it, then stop once it becomes too much of a chore. It really sucks having to grind both wood and ore.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I will note that the level 80 boost allows you to freely try out whatever classes you want at 80 in the Silverwastes, so long as you don't actually go through the final confirmation. If you don't like what you see, you can back out and try another class at any time.

Also the game poops level tomes at you, so don't sweat it too much.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Xun posted:

The only tanking in this game exists in raids, and that is based solely on gear. If someone wanted to they could tank on an elementalist in celestial gear or something. Either way I've personally never seen a revenant tank. Usually it's chronos (lots of damage mitigation) or necros (second life bar + minions to eat damage or something).

Druids and Eles doing healer/tank hybrids also work well, though they're a lot less commonly seen. Having a tank that is essentially immortal through a mix of big heals and high damage reduction is pretty sweet.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Are there any professions that are more sought after than others? What professions are the least and most popular?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unoriginal One posted:

I will note that the level 80 boost allows you to freely try out whatever classes you want at 80 in the Silverwastes, so long as you don't actually go through the final confirmation. If you don't like what you see, you can back out and try another class at any time.

Also the game poops level tomes at you, so don't sweat it too much.

When did they add the 80 boost? I don't remember it existing but I also haven't played in several months.

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
Which of our guilds are most active in Pvp?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sjonkel posted:

Are there any professions that are more sought after than others? What professions are the least and most popular?

For what?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

If you're not talking about raiding, play whatever you like. Most pve content is trivially easy to clear and you can do it all with whatever you drat well please, and anyone who tries to enforce meta party comps or armor in dungeons is an idiot. That said, I would pretty heartily recommend Necromancer as a first character for basically anyone. It's not an excessively difficult class to play, it's obnoxiously sturdy, it's very applicable to most raid bosses if you want to get into raiding, and it's easily the best class in the game for clearing high level fractals, and is very good at carrying dungeons. It's a really nice swiss army knife class.

For raids, generally the most in demand DPS classes are Elementalist and Necromancer. Ele more so than Necro, though, but Ele is fairly hard to play in that you're made of wet tissue paper and if you get hit by anything it'll generally hurt for at least half your health. Support classes are generally Druid and Chrono. Chrono is hands down the most mechanically intensive class in the game to play (okay Engineer rivals it but almost no one plays Engi in raids).

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 22, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Trogdor_666 posted:

Join both! I think both do all the pvp in some regard. SFD has WvWednesdays so if WVW is your thing, do that. I'll be real though, it's fun but it mostly just exists to see whose character is more bright and golden between Cletus and Lonk. Currently it is Lonk.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

quote:

A message from the Guilds Team:
We are happy to announce that we have made a number of performance improvements to the guild decoration system and will be raising the decoration cap in the guild hall from 1000 decorations to 2000 decorations in the July 26 release! As you may know, this has been a long-standing goal, and we’re delighted to be able to make the increase at this time.

I expect big things Mesmer Asura + whoever made all those cute little troll face guys in goon hall.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Hall-Decoration-Increase/first#post6252978

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So I totally forgot you could join 5 guilds.

I'd like to join up with either/both of the active goon guilds. Who's the best person to message for this? My wife and I have been playing for a few hours each night and have started trying to get into fractals, so it'd be nice to have some competent people to party up with sometimes.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

SlothBear posted:

I expect big things Mesmer Asura + whoever made all those cute little troll face guys in goon hall.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Hall-Decoration-Increase/first#post6252978

Oh drat! That is pretty awesome.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

nickhimself posted:

I'd like to join up with either/both of the active goon guilds. Who's the best person to message for this? My wife and I have been playing for a few hours each night and have started trying to get into fractals, so it'd be nice to have some competent people to party up with sometimes.

Read the OP.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Ah, I figured posting in a relatively slow MMO thread would be the best way to find out about joining up, but now I get it. Thanks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The best way is reading the excellent OP I spent a lot of time and sweat on!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

So I totally forgot you could join 5 guilds.

Not only can you join 5 guilds, you can see all 5 chats!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Not only can you join 5 guilds, you can see all 5 chats!

And more importantly, turn them off!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trogdor_666 posted:

neither

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
UNTZ is the goon PvP guild, and, despite the name, is not not actually located in the Eurozone. For more information, consult the (dead) OP, subsection "Guilds."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 23, 2016

shurnarkabtishutu
Jun 20, 2016

can anyone help me level up weaponsmith to 500? i have enough gold to buy all the necessary materials. i will pay you 300 gold for your time. i tried looking up guide but i'm unable to understand it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

shurnarkabtishutu posted:

can anyone help me level up weaponsmith to 500? i have enough gold to buy all the necessary materials. i will pay you 300 gold for your time. i tried looking up guide but i'm unable to understand it :(

I can do weaponsmithing for you

• Locked thread