Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw the same set of hair meshes show up in a new group of mods for Mass Effect a while back and I was like "I just give up :negative:"

Aren't they originally from Sims 2? From 2004?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chronojam posted:

Aren't they originally from Sims 2? From 2004?

yeah they are sims 2 and 3 conversions, there's a list of credits on the mod page that's a blast from the past from when I played sims 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Helith posted:

yeah they are sims 2 and 3 conversions, there's a list of credits on the mod page that's a blast from the past from when I played sims 2.

Oblivion uses them too.

Also stuff ported from the Witcher games, in both games, cause their assets are free to use in mods.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Why do all the Wabbajack lists include Interesting NPCs? They stick out like a sore thumb with their thousands of lines of dialog when everyone else has like five. I should learn how to strip the mod out of the lists I enjoy – namely, Spetimus and Journey, both of which seem great otherwise.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Is it normal for a mod to just not be in the creation kit data list for messing around with, but still function perfectly well in game? Like what's happening there? I've been scouring that lovely tiny list and checking every random acronym for the last half hour, no sign of it.

Never mind, found a different mod that fixes the original issue I downloaded the mod for. Still, very strange.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 4, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I'm really digging Septimus overall. I miss JK's stuff, and I wish Open Cities wasn't a bug-ridden mess made by a shitlord, but overall? Really good. Close to what I'd pick.

I'm an LotD lover so there's not too many other choices.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I'm really digging Septimus overall. I miss JK's stuff, and I wish Open Cities wasn't a bug-ridden mess made by a shitlord, but overall? Really good. Close to what I'd pick.

I'm an LotD lover so there's not too many other choices.

For the 3.1 septimus update he's adding some of jk's mods. Not all of them because some tank performance. Not sure when that will be out, couple weeks probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Don't all the big mod packs have LotDB built-in at this point?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus, Skyrim mods completely dwarf every other game. JK’s compilation came out a few months ago, and already has a million downloads.

E:woops, first upload was 2018. Still big numbers, but a little less insane.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's optional in septimus. Which is cool for people that don't want it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Has the AE upgrade ever been on sale yet?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Jesus, Skyrim mods completely dwarf every other game. JK’s compilation came out a few months ago, and already has a million downloads.

E:woops, first upload was 2018. Still big numbers, but a little less insane.

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst plan to spend the next 2-3 years learning how to mod, and then starting a Patreon when Starfield is launched

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The community seems super mad over people having Patreon exclusive mods when someone doing modding full time because of Patreon acting as their job would never had made that mod otherwise.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Moreau posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst plan to spend the next 2-3 years learning how to mod, and then starting a Patreon when Starfield is launched

doesnt that come out this november

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

It's pretty much just Septimus and Living Skyrim at this point, from what I can see.

Living Skyrim has a weird rpg attribute thing baked in, which turned me off completely.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cheesetriangles posted:

The community seems super mad over people having Patreon exclusive mods when someone doing modding full time because of Patreon acting as their job would never had made that mod otherwise.
If the anecdotes I've seen in this thread are any indication, there's a lot of self-entitlement going around in the general Skyrim modding community, on both sides. On the one hand, I'm sure there's plenty of players whining "BUT I WANT IT FOR FREE", and on the other I assume there's plenty of modders who are flipping the gently caress out over the idea that somebody's doing Skyrim modding differently than they are, and therefore "wrong" (and also jealous they didn't think of it).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cheesetriangles posted:

It's mostly annoying to me because Mod Organizer doesn't tell you when a mod there updates, you have to just keep checking. Same for mods just on Tumblr, it's vaguely inconvenient.

I'm not gonna bitch at them about it though!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't wait for arthmoor to put the unofficial patch behind a patreon paywall. He was all for bethesda's paid mods idea, but with patreon he can get more than 1 transaction per person. He can have the 1 2 dollar tier be last month's 5 dollar tier, while the 5 dollar tier is this month's version of the unofficial patch

The 10 dollar tier will have a version that removes the "Dhovakin? NO!" line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leal posted:

Can't wait for arthmoor to put the unofficial patch behind a patreon paywall. He was all for bethesda's paid mods idea, but with patreon he can get more than 1 transaction per person. He can have the 1 2 dollar tier be last month's 5 dollar tier, while the 5 dollar tier is this month's version of the unofficial patch

The 10 dollar tier will have a version that removes the "Dhovakin? NO!" line.

He's not the only one who works on the unofficial patch so I don't think he could do that and I imagine, given how many other mods use it as a dependency, putting it behind a paywall would absolutely annihilate whatever remaining goodwill he has in the modding community. Like, if somehow he did that, there would be a fork of it on nexus and no one at nexus would give a poo poo about his whining about stealing work.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

putting it behind a paywall would absolutely annihilate whatever remaining goodwill he has in the modding community.

When has that ever stopped him from anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

When has that ever stopped him from anything?

He gets away with his bullshit because he makes mods other people need access to, if they don't have access anymore...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Raygereio posted:

It's not like the restrictions of the Souls messaging system has stopped gamers from being weird with it though.

It absolutely has stopped an unimaginably vast quantity of weirdness. The remaining weirdness is, charitably, a fraction of the amount there would be if people could write whatever they want.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

If the anecdotes I've seen in this thread are any indication, there's a lot of self-entitlement going around in the general Skyrim modding community, on both sides. On the one hand, I'm sure there's plenty of players whining "BUT I WANT IT FOR FREE", and on the other I assume there's plenty of modders who are flipping the gently caress out over the idea that somebody's doing Skyrim modding differently than they are, and therefore "wrong" (and also jealous they didn't think of it).
The community having a negative reaction to it is fine and good. The big thing is that modding by and large works when it's open and freely available. So that one modder can open something and learn from how it works, or can build on the work of another modder.
Having lots of closed source poo poo isn't going to destroy all modding forever, but it's not going to be healthy for the community.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A ways back there was a goon-recommended modding guide for Skyrim SE that I followed that turned out to be pretty good and got me some nice shots for desktop backgrounds. It's probably futile to try and find the same thing again, but are there any popular step-by-step modding guides out there that anyone here might recommend? I enjoy the process but I am not a fan of looking at the umpteen million mods available and trying to decide for myself or deal with compatibility issues that arise. If this is too vague I understand, but general recommendations would be very welcome.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Skwirl posted:

Actually it seems like most of them don't. I swear Keizaal used to have it but it seems to have dropped. Living Skyrim and Septimus seem to be the main two with LOTD. Which is annoying, because I'm a pack rat collector and I insist on having a museum to fill.

My biggest complaint about a lot of these lists is they add too much poo poo. A few levels in and every other day a courier arrives with a note saying "HI COME DO MY NEW MODDED IN QUEST" and a lot of them are terrible.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 5, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I get the complaints that LotD supplants the main quest line as "What Skyrim is about" but... I'm okay with that honestly. Hoarding and collecting poo poo is totally my jam and I like knowing dumb poo poo like the Poacher's Axe have a place they can go that's not the chest in Breezehome.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I get the complaints that LotD supplants the main quest line as "What Skyrim is about" but... I'm okay with that honestly. Hoarding and collecting poo poo is totally my jam and I like knowing dumb poo poo like the Poacher's Axe have a place they can go that's not the chest in Breezehome.

Skyrim was always about picking up everything that wasn't nailed down while getting three steps into the main quest and getting bored, so LoTD is pretty much the natural extension of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

A ways back there was a goon-recommended modding guide for Skyrim SE that I followed that turned out to be pretty good and got me some nice shots for desktop backgrounds. It's probably futile to try and find the same thing again, but are there any popular step-by-step modding guides out there that anyone here might recommend? I enjoy the process but I am not a fan of looking at the umpteen million mods available and trying to decide for myself or deal with compatibility issues that arise. If this is too vague I understand, but general recommendations would be very welcome.

The Phoenix Flavour and/or Septimus 3?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Athaboros posted:

Why do all the Wabbajack lists include Interesting NPCs? They stick out like a sore thumb with their thousands of lines of dialog when everyone else has like five. I should learn how to strip the mod out of the lists I enjoy – namely, Spetimus and Journey, both of which seem great otherwise.

Just wanted to say that I agree with you. Interesting NPCs sucks rear end and it's baffling how popular it is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like it for a couple reasons - it makes things more populated without having random, uninteractable NPCs with names like Farmer walking around, and I actually really like a couple of the new bards with custom songs.

I just don't talk with the long winded boring ones.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Ugh, constantly walking up to an NPC I don't recognize, and immediately realizing that they only exist to spew their life story at me with extremely ill-fitting voice acting.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Zokari posted:

Ugh, constantly walking up to an NPC I don't recognize, and immediately realizing that they only exist to spew their life story at me with extremely ill-fitting voice acting.

Yeah, this is my main issue with the mod. I don't know them well enough to just avoid them on sight, but it makes me instantly stop talking to an NPC when I hear a non-standard voice actor, since otherwise about a minute into a conversation I'll realize that they'll just never stop talking.

What would you need to do to strip them out of a list, anyway? I presume, generate some kind of bashed patch or merged esps? I know the steps for Morrowind well, but I've never done it for Skyrim.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In my last playthrough I recall picking up the habit of selecting any vaguely unusual NPC in the console to check if their ID corresponded to 3DNPC.esp's position in the load order before approaching them. I'd memorized it. I believe it was "37".

Some of them can be genuinely compelling and don't just infodump for 20-30 real life minutes, but you never know until you're already in too deep. Hell, I can even tolerate an occasional infodump, provided I'm in an appropriate mental state and don't need to get up too early. They just... don't really belong in this kind of videogame. Also the player replies get kinda weird and limiting at times.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

There is also some pedo poo poo in interesting npcs (you have a dialogue option that says, "I myself enjoy the company of children"). Apparently this mod removes some of the gross poo poo.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/62007?tab=description

Barnum Brown Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 6, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

In my last playthrough I recall picking up the habit of selecting any vaguely unusual NPC in the console to check if their ID corresponded to 3DNPC.esp's position in the load order before approaching them. I'd memorized it. I believe it was "37".

Some of them can be genuinely compelling and don't just infodump for 20-30 real life minutes, but you never know until you're already in too deep. Hell, I can even tolerate an occasional infodump, provided I'm in an appropriate mental state and don't need to get up too early. They just... don't really belong in this kind of videogame. Also the player replies get kinda weird and limiting at times.

Can't you just force close dialog? I mean, if you're finding a conversation has gone on too long, just slam it. I'd do that well before I hit twenty minutes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I hate leaving things incomplete, I have this weird sense of obligation to finish the conversations I'm in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'd hate Interesting NPCs less if they were actually interesting, and if half the dialog options weren't a failed attempt at wittiness.

The difference is especially stark when you've got genuinely witty dialog from Inigo and Lucien going on in the background.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's particular thing I despise about the interesting NPCs where they SEEM like they're going to make some short remark, and then they just keep going, and going, and there's never a kind stopping point inserted into the conversation that would let you hear part now and part later, uuugh.

So what this means is I always hear part of some stupid loving story before I eventually hard exit the conversation and then walk off.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough. I don't do mod lists because I just like customizing poo poo too much.

I imagine you can just remove Interesting NPCs, look at any ESPs that go "I have a missing master!" and remove them as appropriate. As long as they haven't been Bashed Patched into anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobDoleTrasher
Nov 14, 2013

Generally hates cLutch
Anyone got a link to the one magic rune mod that replaces all of them with the dickbutt one?