Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I probably won't play Nier as, mechanically, it's not really my kind of game. But I love all the weird poo poo I've read about it and the way it's structured and I'm happy it exists and seems to be selling pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah if you folks really want to sell Nier:A to fence-sitters, saying stuff like the game only really starts after 30 hours including a repetition of much of the same gameplay is a bad look.

I loved the game but it's definitely not for everyone. I went in looking for pathos, irony, and existential angst so the start of route B really got me. But if one's reaction to the first scene of B is losing patience over a "gag", they probably won't be into the rest of B, which will take at least 5-10 hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It starts on November 29th, 1986, and the last day is April 15, 1987. If you haven't played Shenmue, there's maybe enough content to fill about a month of constant playing in-game so you have to really work to hit that. All that happens is Lan Di comes back and literally punches Ryo in the balls before it flashes to "GAME OVER".

There​ is that stealth sequence where every time you fail you lose a day, I could totally see someone legitimately bombing that enough to cause problems

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I must have failed that stupid section at least 10-12 times and still finished the game by the end of January.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah if you folks really want to sell Nier:A to fence-sitters, saying stuff like the game only really starts after 30 hours including a repetition of much of the same gameplay is a bad look.

I loved the game but it's definitely not for everyone. I went in looking for pathos, irony, and existential angst so the start of route B really got me. But if one's reaction to the first scene of B is losing patience over a "gag", they probably won't be into the rest of B, which will take at least 5-10 hours

Well the real problem with Nier is that it's on the whole a good game punctuated with moments of utter brilliance. And you can't explain the brilliant parts to someone you are trying to sell on the game without ruining those moments for them because the context of those events is critical.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Here's a plot-free description of N:A's structure for people who are worried about replaying the same stuff:

Route A: First 30-40% of the game
Route B: Condensed version of Route A from another perspective and with significantly different combat mechanics.
Route C: Whoah nelly. Covers events immediately following Routes A and B, roughly as long as Route A. Plot gets really good here.
Route D: Load a chapter right before you finished Route C and pick a different option.
Route E: Pick a certain option at the end of Route D.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 21, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier is very good. Always be pushing triangle after route a is over.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Real hurthling! posted:

It plays exactly the same.

Really? That's a shame.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fix posted:

The latest trailer for Injustice 2 has kinda got me hyped, and I'm a little concerned about that because the first one was such a disappointment.

That's the control formula for the new mortal combats and everything its not going anywhere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

to be fair to injustice you at least hold back to block

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Liver Disaster posted:

How many posts does it take to stop dragging someone kicking and screaming through a game they don't like?

Well there's 333 pages of this thread and what, 40 posts a page sooooooooo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suck at the Yakuza mini games.

Also after the trainwreck that was mgsv act 2 i will never play a game just to see the good ending. Its a shame because Nier looks like an interesting game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But the "ending" to Nier:A isn't even the ending. It's an act break.

I have made the comparison between the two as well, but it's because Nier:A does what MGS V tried to do but is actually successful at it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Is there a thread or discussion for Cosmic Star Heroine? I'm so disappointed picking this up to find this game requires constant saving due to random rear end game crashing bugs.

I might pick up SOMA on sale now looks like it was finally fixed for the PS4Pro

https://twitter.com/frictionalgames/status/854305317286543361

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But the "ending" to Nier:A isn't even the ending. It's an act break.
Yeah, I said a long time ago that I think its a problem that the game calls them endings, and that we call them endings. It's clearly confusing lots of people about what is really a pretty straightforward narrative structure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't compare the way nier handles things to the way mgs does. mgs5 just has an epilogue after the story is over that explains how the cast get where they need to be for the beginning of the original metal gear

play the demo for nier if you're interested in the game. if you're still not convinced, you can always wait until it's cheaper, and if you flat out dislike it then you know not to buy the game

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Is there a thread or discussion for Cosmic Star Heroine? I'm so disappointed picking this up to find this game requires constant saving due to random rear end game crashing bugs.

drat, is it really that bad? I was kind of looking forward to taking a break from Persona 5 this weekend and starting Cosmic Star Heroine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wouldn't compare the way nier handles things to the way mgs does. mgs5 just has an epilogue after the story is over that explains how the cast get where they need to be for the beginning of the original metal gear

play the demo for nier if you're interested in the game. if you're still not convinced, you can always wait until it's cheaper, and if you flat out dislike it then you know not to buy the game

Both games have climactic boss battles where you overcome your major opponent and things seem like they're over, down to having the long credits roll with emotional music.

Then you have a second section where you revisit some of the same gameplay with mechanical twists, mixed in with new story developments and revelations, which make the story you've already experienced make sense in a different light, before tying everything together and pushing forward.

As you point out, the "tying everything together" in MGS is the rest of the series, while Nier:A has to do it all in one, and does a marvelous job at it.

The MGSV Act 2 is only "epiloguey" in the fact that it's disjointed and episodic. It actually has some of the best story moments and arguably more story development than the actual Act I. The Quarantine Bay and the Quiet End are my favorite missions in the entire game

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 22, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Route B is easily the worst part of Nier:A, it's essentially (light spoilers on how B plays out gameplay wise)the exact same as route A with a worse moveset and more shooter minigames crammed in, plus a few plot beats here and there, but C is easily the best part. If you're not hooked yet but you enjoyed it enough to finish A, play through B and get to C as fast as you can, poo poo picks up pretty quickly from there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Started a titanfall PS messages chat thread for coordinating some goon action if anyone wants in on it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok I bought persona 5. I'm gonna go to bed. I'm gonna do it!!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Ok I bought persona 5. I'm gonna go to bed. I'm gonna do it!!
Just go straight to bed every night because you know if you try to do anything else Morgana's gonna bitch at you about it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just go straight to bed every night because you know if you try to do anything else Morgana's gonna bitch at you about it.

Also make sure to derail the P5 thread about the localization even further. Then go to bed from being tired.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Morgana the new Navi?

N: "Hey listen!"
M: "Go to bed!"

No, I don't want to right now!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

did atlus relax on the 7/7 thing? I glanced at the twitch page for the game and saw a bunch of streams with dates later than 7/7 in the corner. It seems like it will be a fun game to stream but I don't want to only stream the first half.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Can someone help me understand the new Texas chainsaw massacre video game?

Oh I mean Resident Evil: TEXAS CHAINSAW Msdklfj;dasfdsj aw to heck with it. What the hell am I playin' here yall? I got to the end of what I presume is the demo where I killed my possessed wife, she came back to life and cut my hand off with a chainsaw (lol which I then poured healing elixir over my bleeding stump), I put 12 .45 ACPs into her head, then I got punched out cold by the hillbilly Walter White. The game tells me that the game isn't finished downloading yet, but my downloads folder does not indicate anything is downloading.

What gives?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn the other day after passing it up for a while due to it coming out around Zelda, but it not grabbing me so far. Does it get better after the kid section? Regardless of that said, man does it look pretty on a 4K TV and PS4 Pro.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Rirse posted:

I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn the other day after passing it up for a while due to it coming out around Zelda, but it not grabbing me so far. Does it get better after the kid section? Regardless of that said, man does it look pretty on a 4K TV and PS4 Pro.

Yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Are you seriously asking if an open world game game gets better after the tiny limited introductory/tutorial section that is always at the beginning?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

View Information for the title, it's probably still downloading.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hzd is ok until you buy purple weapons

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ghostinmyshell posted:

They apparently put up a new patch today.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

They apparently put up a new patch today.

I just bought it today and the last version update was 1.03 so I'll keep an eye out I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

:what:

What kind of question is this? You haven't even gotten to the actual gameplay yet, go fight some loving robots, it rules.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to name myself waluigi in persona 5 but I don't know what my last name should be if I do that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

I want to name myself waluigi in persona 5 but I don't know what my last name should be if I do that

Wario, obviously

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

:what:

What kind of question is this? You haven't even gotten to the actual gameplay yet, go fight some loving robots, it rules.

I will play more of it for sure. I mostly not feeling the story so far with the outcast stuff. Then again, Persona 5's first hour didn't feel that great for me and that so far my favorite game of the year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is why I am in favor of first hours for games where they dump you somewhere with mid-late game abilities so you immediately experience what the game will be at its height. Other than that, it's pretty much guaranteed that the intro will not be as fun as most of the game is and some people will walk away.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 22, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Horizon has a long intro-tutorial like you'd get in most open world games. But once it's over you basically get access to 100% of the game world to do whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Wario, obviously

pretty close to pulling the trigger on this...do they tend to use your first name or last name more?