Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Trauma Tank posted:

My V-Strom was awful with the windscreen on it because it caused huge buffeting to the helmet because I am apparently too tall. If I slouched a lot then I could get into the peace and harmony that was the behind-windscreen air bubble. Then I took the windscreen off and it became an all-round better more enjoyable bike.

I have the same problem on my Vee. I put on a Givi windshield but it still happens a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I too have the same issue on my Vstrom. I prefer riding without the windscreen but it looks goofy so I put on a 4" shorter Moose racing (iirc) windscreen, smoked. It feels better but it comes at the cost of the wind going under my helmet and being loud as gently caress without ear plugs. Even with ear plugs it's still quite loud.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Same on Multistrada. Shorty windscreen puts me in clean air, which is good for summer, but makes for helmet noise (Signet-X = loud). Have a tall windscreen with an MRA vario lip to put on when fall hits.

Wife is screwed either way because the pillion seat puts her helmet directly behind mine. Changing windscreen heights just changes the speed where buffeting starts kicking her head around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Naked and full fairing rider chiming in:

Rocks to the throat hurt, even if your neck is covered.
Tucking in behind a windscreen is cool and good.

If I'm tooling around backroads with no one around, I'm willing to take a bee to the neck.
If I'm hitting the highway, I'd much prefer my double-bubble.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

To be frank, I do miss my fairing above about 60 and especially on long straight stretches. I did about 50 miles at around 70 mph on a really windy day a couple weeks ago and it wasn't very pleasant. But naked on backroads, around town, and anywhere below ~60 mph, gently caress yeah. If I ever get a touring bike, it's drat sure going to be an FJR or something similar with a fairing that comes to the top of my head.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Windshields just plain suck, not just because they look bad and cause noise unless they're adjusted just so, but also because you get much hotter behind one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've never taken a rock to the throat, thank you for the newfound phobia.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

A MIRACLE posted:

Try not to get stuck riding in a hail storm. That poo poo hurts, even when you're only going 50km/h.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

A MIRACLE posted:

Bee flew between my helmet and my neck brace, down the jersey, couldn't kill it because the neck brace is rigid and creates a bee-protection zone above the chest protector where it's safe to sting away. Had to pull over in some rocks, struggling with crap footing, struggle to take off neck brace, think it's stuck on helmet, struggle to take off helmet, take off gloves, take off helmet, realize neck brace is stuck on camelback, take off camelback, take off neck brace, finally find the poor dying bee and get it out of my jersey. I'll take a rock any day.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Found on KTM Twins. Screens are for dorks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

Try not to get stuck riding in a hail storm. That poo poo hurts, even when you're only going 50km/h.

It's also the only thing colder than thick fog in the winter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I never ride without a buff anymore after taking a couple dragonflies to the visor. Felt like getting shot in the face with a paintball, and all I could think about was what it would be like on the Adam's apple. Not that a buff would really help a ton, but with it all bunched up it's more protection than I would have otherwise.

I got caught in a couple hailstorms on the same ride a few years ago. It was alarming but not painful. Felt like riding on marbles, that was the worst part. When I finally got through the storm, a couple handfuls of ice had collected in my crotch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you get one of the thick fleece ones they're actually pretty good for that.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, precipitation to the neck at highway speeds sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protect ya neck

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

McTinkerson posted:

If the hailstones aren't hard enough/fast enough to bounce off the tank and smack you in the face via the gap under your helmet chin guard hard enough to leave a red welt then it's not hailing hard enough.

Also lol if you haven't evolved into a half man half turtle so you can retract your head into your torso when you hit that inevitable bee swarm. (This happened once to me on a faired bike. It did noooothing, and I swear I lost an inch of height violently retracting my neck and chin.)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Naked bikes at highway speeds are fine, you folks who complain must have really weak muscles in your necks.

Edit: I recommend you ride more or wear lighter helmets.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just tilt my head down and the chinbar of my helmet keeps rain and whatnot off my neck

Unless you have major :reject: neck you'll be fine that way

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The windshield on my cruiser is one of my favorite features, I can ride with my visor up comfortably to about 60mph or so (sunglasses on underneath). That's the jam.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

If I get goin real fast on the naked bike (>85), I'll just go full tuck without the windshield so I'm not fighting it completely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Lol if you don't ride like this 24/7
https://youtu.be/LqnhGBUKA58

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just get wind protection from my massive dick I dunno about you scrubs.

The laminar lip on my EX250 was the most perfect wind protection I've ever seen, with no buffeting, and I am sad that I cannot replicate it on any other bike I have. I'm tempted to mount it to a spitfire windscreen and put that on the 690 for long trips, but you peeps would excommunicate me so

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I never ride without a buff anymore after taking a couple dragonflies to the visor. Felt like getting shot in the face with a paintball, and all I could think about was what it would be like on the Adam's apple. Not that a buff would really help a ton, but with it all bunched up it's more protection than I would have otherwise.

I've taken some bees and locusts to the neck and my buff did a good job of softening the blow. Buff4lyfe.

builds character posted:

I will never be as cool as this person.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Looove those graphics!!! Did you do that yourself?

also hi thread say hello to bike #3, a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 :woop:

Nice FZ! Looks way better without that ugly cowl. Put a round headlight on it, though. Do the round chinese "daymaker" headlight but with LEDs that you can get for like 45 bux. The kind M42 has. It would look sharp. Futuristic, but classic.

Thanks for the compliment! I did all that myself, straight from my mind's eye. Lot's of planning and color picking, and infinite hours working with the vinyl. I was going to go back to my serious supermoto black enduro plastics when I got back to the USA, but one look at it and I just had to keep the look.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

A MIRACLE posted:

I took a hawk to the throat. Does that count? I think I was only going about 45 but seriously, gently caress that bird.

Ed: my takeaway from that story is that roadkill is like gravity. Like attracts like and some day we will all die inside the event horizon of a superdense ball of critter from which light cannot escape. But in the meantime, treat anything dead in the road as a potential meal for something else that wants to be dead in the road.

a cute sea otter fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Coydog posted:

Nice FZ! Looks way better without that ugly cowl. Put a round headlight on it, though. Do the round chinese "daymaker" headlight but with LEDs that you can get for like 45 bux. The kind M42 has. It would look sharp. Futuristic, but classic.

Thanks for the compliment! I did all that myself, straight from my mind's eye. Lot's of planning and color picking, and infinite hours working with the vinyl. I was going to go back to my serious supermoto black enduro plastics when I got back to the USA, but one look at it and I just had to keep the look.

Ahhh I think I've hosed around with the FZ's headlight enough -- it's a cheap bike I just wanted to get operational, then ride for a while and resell for a profit. I got it for a staggering one (1) thousand dollars. It's got 3k miles on it!

Man, if I ever pull the trigger on a 690/701... how much would I have to pay you to make mine as pretty as yours? :D

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

"Oh, yeah? Yeah? Is that what you wanted? Yeah, it was a dank wheelie. Can I get back to work now?" BRA-BRAP *ZOOM*

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Schroeder91 posted:

I too have the same issue on my Vstrom. I prefer riding without the windscreen but it looks goofy so I put on a 4" shorter Moose racing (iirc) windscreen, smoked. It feels better but it comes at the cost of the wind going under my helmet and being loud as gently caress without ear plugs. Even with ear plugs it's still quite loud.

Mine's the 2015+ V-Strom 1000, so I've got two little adjustable antenna left sticking up that the screen used to be attached to. I keep thinking about taking them off but then I realise they're perfect for attaching fuzzy antlers to when Christmas comes around, so I may as well keep them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
poo poo yes supermoto:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like how the logo cuts off to say PAIN right under the seat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They know their demographic

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Deeters posted:

I like how the logo cuts off to say PAIN right under the seat

I thought for a minute it said 6 Days of Pain.

All this time I was thinking it was Honda that had the 6 Days model. tmyk

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 13, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Just a snap from last night:

Not my neighbourhood. Happened to like how it looked there. Didn't realize it was so blurry, but I still like it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Our garage as of today:

:3:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

so envious... you even have a wheel balancer. and a rolling tool chest with shop towels right on the side.. love it. i want your garage.
also what car is that?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

so envious... you even have a wheel balancer. and a rolling tool chest with shop towels right on the side.. love it. i want your garage.
also what car is that?

Not a wheel balancer, an engine stand. :)
See it and the car (it is a Z4M Coupe) in
my project thread. :)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I took this while stopped to get some water and change memory card/battery in the cam the other day. I love this thing, so docile in day to day use, and so comfortable for touring. It is threatening to replace my old FZR as the favorite bike I have ever owned.

http://i.imgur.com/FKNgYqH.jpg

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a sweet muscle tourer. Nice color for it, too.

My DR is making me feel like a kid again. It also wheelies quite nicely.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Coydog posted:

The color has only only one drawback, traffic cops see it. From far away. I recently watched one LEO nearly put his SUV into a curb while staring at me. I was sitting at a red light on my way home from work, doing zero MPH.

Nice DR, btw, those are soooo much fun to ride.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I really dig the sticker bomb on that exhaust cover! Planning on doing something similar but messier with the collection of stickers I have on my desk and my DRZ.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

What are you liking about the DR that wasn't there on your 690?

Just once you need to buy some mx tires and play around in the dirt. Then you can go (back?) to dot legal knobbies.

What was the issue with the clutch basket? Just that bearing that wasn't seated properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

I really dig the sticker bomb on that exhaust cover! Planning on doing something similar but messier with the collection of stickers I have on my desk and my DRZ.

Thanks! The cover has a crack near the bottom, so the PO did the sticker bomb and sutured the crack with zipties, making sure each was within a black procycle letter. He did a good job on it, and took really good care of the bike. Half the bike is procycle parts now anyway, I bet, so it's fitting. I have loved it since I saw it on craigslist a few months back.

builds character posted:

What are you liking about the DR that wasn't there on your 690?

Just once you need to buy some mx tires and play around in the dirt. Then you can go (back?) to dot legal knobbies.

What was the issue with the clutch basket? Just that bearing that wasn't seated properly?

Yeah, it was just that darn bearing not seated properly, pushing the plates apart. I still have no idea how it got loose.

Don't get me wrong, I still totally love the 690. It's fantastic to get buckwild on, and more capable than the DR in most ways (Z3n was right). The DR has awful brakes (still stops the bike ok), pogo stick suspension, uncomfortable seat, high pegs, and is pretty slow. That said, it sparks all kinds of glee when I ride it that I haven't felt in a while. Makes me feel like I did on the MSF BRC. I'd say that the exhaust note is fantastic, and full of character, compared with the 690 (I want to try and put a GSXR exhaust on the 690 now). The turning radius is super wide (tight?), too. My friend rode it and came back astounded at how easy tight u-turns were, and I fully agree. The bike is so stable you can easily do tight figure-8's if you wanted.

All of the torque is down low, too, and the bike is super forgiving, so I find myself inducing all sorts of crazyness. Every time I find myself leaned over far for a tight corner, I give it a ton of throttle and kick the rear out a bit. When I hit speed humps, I stand up and goose the throttle going into it, so that I leave with the front wheel fully in the air. It lazily wheelies, so bringing it up almost to balance point didn't feel like a big scary thing.

The 690 is as capabable off road, because of it's suspension and stuff, but taking the DR off road feels like I'm a child exploring a new world. Hitting downed trees and muddy ditches without breaking stride is a revelation, though. I definitely want to get more dirt oriented tires (I thought the 705's would be that but I want super knobbies next). In fact, an Australian guy came up to me yesterday and told me he used to have a DR and loved it, and got my number so he could give me a couple brand new 606 knobbies, and some other DR parts like handlebars.

I also really like the seating position. You can grip the tank nicely, and feel slightly "in" the bike.

Lastly, it suffers from the "more fun to ride a slow bike fast" bit, and going 45 feels like going 70.