Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

marchantia posted:

I work for SSA, though not on the financial eligability side. It's not partial, SSA considers income over $1000ish/month substantial, gainful activity (or employment) and an indication that an individual doesn't meet the definition of being too disabled to work (since you are, you know, working). Your benefits will be canceled if you go over SGA and SSA finds out.

Yeah, it really should be based on hours worked or local cost of living but lol republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Today I helped an old lady for at least 30 minutes going around the store finding items on her list. 5 minutes after we parted ways, she came back to me to help her find her watch that she lost. So after 10 minutes looking and asking other employees and vendors she found it in her purse. :downs:

Leal posted:

So I was just told today: Our store will be closing in a few months :smithicide:

I was assured I could likely be grabbing 40 hours a week between now and then but man, I'd rather not wait till the last second to get a replacement job.

That sucks, the first store I was hired at closed down and I was there until 2 days before closing it. It was weird seeing all the shelves go empty and nobody shopping their the last week. The store was an unnecessary one because there was another one about 1 mile down the same road. Back when our company merged with another, they decided to keep both stores at the time for whatever reason. No one lost their jobs and got transferred to several other within the city.

Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise and you get a better job.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

What's the job that's going to close?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'm slowly making my way through this whole thread but had to stop to vent because my boyfriend's best friend just posted a lovely anti-raise-the-minimum-wage meme on Facebook and I kind of want to make HIM sit down and read the whole thread. Well, that's my story

I worked retail-ish (it was a portrait studio, so a lot of the same customer service complaints and issues with upselling without stock getting smacked around the store) for about 6 months 3 years ago and some of the stories from there still shine "bright" in my memories, so when I'm caught up I'll post some of the good ones.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm slowly making my way through this whole thread but had to stop to vent because my boyfriend's best friend just posted a lovely anti-raise-the-minimum-wage meme on Facebook and I kind of want to make HIM sit down and read the whole thread. Well, that's my story

I worked retail-ish (it was a portrait studio, so a lot of the same customer service complaints and issues with upselling without stock getting smacked around the store) for about 6 months 3 years ago and some of the stories from there still shine "bright" in my memories, so when I'm caught up I'll post some of the good ones.

Raising the minimum wage isn't going to solve your problems though

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ijii posted:

Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise and you get a better job.

Not really, this job was a shot in the dark, I wasn't expecting to get it and no one else has even given me a call. I live in the middle of nowhere, no other places are going to give me the hours I'll need to compensate for the mileage and drive time. I have a second job but I get maybe 2 hours a month from it, its a holdover from where I used to live and my boss at the time of my move said I'd get a good bit of lucrative territory after my move. Well he stepped down and the replacement manager didn't agree with me getting the territory I was promised, and in living in the middle of nowhere being the default rep in a 30 mile radius means I cover just my town.

Though I do have a new manager now, there is one territory that is over an hour and a half drive that needs to be covered and she doesn't mine the travel budget but again its over the mountains and I don't know if my car can handle it. There is no winning option for me.

E: Really my options are:

1: Go gently caress it, take the territory and hope my car's engine doesn't melt and that I'll get enough work in that territory to cover gas plus my living and eventually fix my car, and hope the problem didn't get worse

2: Sink with the ship, take the extra hours that I may get at some unspecified date and hopefully save up enough cash to fix my car, hope the territory remains unfilled until then

3: Start applying to other merchandising companies (cause I literally cannot get a job that isn't merchandising, when I do the loving store closes down) and hope they have a travel team where "travel" means "fly around the country" so I'm not having to use my car

4: Life of crime

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 8, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

PCOS Bill posted:

Raising the minimum wage isn't going to solve your problems though

True, but the reasoning behind those posts against raising minimum wage are dumb as hell and completely lack empathy.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Dear parents, this is a store that sells ball gowns, some of which cost upwards of $600, and rents designer tuxedos, which retail for even more. It is not an appropriate place to let your daughters run around, grabbing the dresses unsupervised while you sit outside. I'm not a babysitter and will kick them out, and both the store manager and company owner will back me on that policy.

It's even more obnoxious because some of my favorite moments working here have been showing little girls (usually with a father) various gowns because they're enchanted by the ~sparkle.~ I have no issue indulging princess fantasies when it's slow and they behave, but your unattended brat running around yanking on dresses is getting kicked out no matter how much you bitch.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Now I want to work at a store that sells ball gowns! I bet you get tired of glitter and sequins pretty fast, huh?

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

Faerunner posted:

Now I want to work at a store that sells ball gowns! I bet you get tired of glitter and sequins pretty fast, huh?

Not yet, but I've only been here a few months. But prom season starts in December and continues through April, and then there's graduations through May and June, so I'm sure I'll be sick of gowns and tuxedos soon enough.

On the other hand, I'll be getting tons of commission those months. :D

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Our store has a policy where a customer can get the lower price on an item within 10 days of purchase.

We're having a back to school sale. A lady brought in her receipt which was probably made from half a tree, and wanted an adjustment on her purchases.

Without the items in front of me to scan, I have to refund AND re-ring everything using just the UPC numbers on the receipt. 12 numbers times however many items times 2.

It took me half an hour to return and re-ring everything. Her savings? $2.35

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Had a lady gripe that something she bought on Friday was one US dollar more than what it was on Thursday. She sat by lawn and garden register long enough for me to (slowly) checkout two more customers but going to customer service to get her dollar "wasn't worth it" and "would take too much time because she has to get home immediately because her mother blah blah blah." I've made a grave, grave mistake taking this position.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
How do you get over burn out? I've been at the same place for 12 years and due to a lack of give a gently caress on the part of many of my co workers I'm just over it. I'm looking for other options but I'm noticing my age and time in with this place is working against me. Add to it a 45 minute commute (lived less than a mile away except for the last three years due to my husband finding a new job) I'm just so done. My boss is a good guy can be slightly persnickety about things and is obsessed with emailing instead of just having a conversation but I just want to be gone. I just talked to him on my day off about him being pissed that I didn't answer his email from 3 days ago that was about some trivial bullshit. The co worker involved answered it for both of us but he needed my one word response. This is all at a coffee shop. You can see many previous posts about it if you click my name. I get paid decent but the drive and the general malaise I have about the whole thing is wearing me out. What makes it worse is I can't do poo poo at the moment because my husband was recently laid off permanently from the job he had. I feel bad because like I said for the most part it's not a bad place to be but I think that as soon as it's feasible that I need to move on. I tried last year working somewhere closer to home but it turned out to be a worse situation and current boss sweetened the pot for me with a gas raise and a regular four ten schedule with Thursday's Friday's and Saturdays off. I have to leave in three hours and I'm dreading it. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has been in my situation. I feel too old to start over and while being a manager none of my skills are official. Yup I think I posted this same thing three years ago. I just need to suck it up and keep going until things even out. Just trying to sort it out because I can't exactly bring this to the husband he has his own stress with trying to find a new job himself.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

How do you get over burn out? I've been at the same place for 12 years and due to a lack of give a gently caress on the part of many of my co workers I'm just over it. I'm looking for other options but I'm noticing my age and time in with this place is working against me. Add to it a 45 minute commute (lived less than a mile away except for the last three years due to my husband finding a new job) I'm just so done. My boss is a good guy can be slightly persnickety about things and is obsessed with emailing instead of just having a conversation but I just want to be gone. I just talked to him on my day off about him being pissed that I didn't answer his email from 3 days ago that was about some trivial bullshit. The co worker involved answered it for both of us but he needed my one word response. This is all at a coffee shop. You can see many previous posts about it if you click my name. I get paid decent but the drive and the general malaise I have about the whole thing is wearing me out. What makes it worse is I can't do poo poo at the moment because my husband was recently laid off permanently from the job he had. I feel bad because like I said for the most part it's not a bad place to be but I think that as soon as it's feasible that I need to move on. I tried last year working somewhere closer to home but it turned out to be a worse situation and current boss sweetened the pot for me with a gas raise and a regular four ten schedule with Thursday's Friday's and Saturdays off. I have to leave in three hours and I'm dreading it. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has been in my situation. I feel too old to start over and while being a manager none of my skills are official. Yup I think I posted this same thing three years ago. I just need to suck it up and keep going until things even out. Just trying to sort it out because I can't exactly bring this to the husband he has his own stress with trying to find a new job himself.

Maybe start something on the side? If e/n had anything to teach its that age isn't as big a barrier as people think. If you're really good at running a coffee shop, and your husband needs work...

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Our store has a policy where a customer can get the lower price on an item within 10 days of purchase.

We're having a back to school sale. A lady brought in her receipt which was probably made from half a tree, and wanted an adjustment on her purchases.

Without the items in front of me to scan, I have to refund AND re-ring everything using just the UPC numbers on the receipt. 12 numbers times however many items times 2.

It took me half an hour to return and re-ring everything. Her savings? $2.35

People like this might be the worst. I was assisting a cashier one day when her random item rung up at $7.49 when she swore the price tag said $7.39. I went back, found the item, and she was right.

"See! I TOLD you it was $7.39! How can we adjust this?"

Well ma'am, it's Saturday and if you feel like standing in our membership/refunds line to get your dime back, feel free.

20 minutes later she was still waiting in line because on Saturdays Costco is loving slammed.

Another lady was buying cigarettes because "I haven't ever seen x brand at $30 a carton" and when it rang up at $34.97 she started to go into customer is always right mode because it took us a minute to verify the issue and to get a manager to do a price adjustment.

I get that the price on the sign is what you pay, but to immediately get all up in arms about it the way most people do is nuts. If you're right, we'll absolutely honor the price, it's just that we have to verify it first. And the people in line behind you are going to hate you.

The other one that gets me is people that buy say, a couch at full price. They come in two weeks later and we're down to the display model of said couch, obviously marked down for a variety of reasons. They first find an hourly and ask them what they can do about it (nothing) which leads to us calling a manager who has to decide whether to give this cheapskate who got one new, in a box, the same price as one that two thousand people have already sat on.

With something like a manufacturer instant rebate it's different. If you buy a TV for $1300 and a month later the manufacturer issued a rebate on that TV for $200, bring your receipt in and we'll take care of you, no questions asked. But the display model mark down is different because that thing has seen more use in the two months it's been out than your family will put on it in a year.

We had one of our last Windows 8.1 laptops marked as display only and this elderly gentleman came in and wanted to talk about it. I gave him the rundown and he said if the manager marked it down enough he'd buy it. Manager comes over, knocks of $110 on the original $600 tag. Dude said he'd take it.

I had to reset it to factory defaults and unplug it from our security system. No problem. Except for the loving NASA, space age double sided tape holding the bracket on that we secure the laptops with. I did everything I could but this tape wasn't budging. I eventually got some scissors and cut it off but in the process chipped the underside of the laptop. Not terribly, nothing that would effect warranty or performance, purely cosmetic. I let the guy know about it and he asked for additional dollars off. Manager said nah, I took $110 off, if he wants any more we'll put it back out. Guy bought it anyway.

We get some really cool people who shop there that are oftentimes a blast to talk to and helping them make informed decisions on their purchases is what I like to do. Some people though..

Santheb fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 10, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember for some months, Petsmart hosed up their pricing on a fish, the albino bichir. and marked them all at $4 each. So any time I'd see them I'd buy as many as I could, because they usually retail for 3 to 4 times that price. Eventually the higher ups realized the fuckup, but at the last store I was at, I saw a tank of about 10 of them, so sure, I'll take them all. But when they were rung up, they came up at $20 each. I never said poo poo other than "oops, the sticker says something else, maybe the price changed?" to the cashier. The girl from the fish department was shocked, and brought up the sticker that showed them at $4. I got them at that price. Amazingly I didn't have to raise my voice or scream THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT YOU'RE TRYING TO RIP ME OFF. Of course I was also on my lunch break, in uniform. And I'm not a loving oval office.

I wonder if some of the screaming banshee batshits would be less of that if they had to wear their work uniforms to go shopping. Viral shaming would have a new turn. "Employee from Target destroys rival store's stocked shelves!"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember for some months, Petsmart hosed up their pricing on a fish, the albino bichir. and marked them all at $4 each. So any time I'd see them I'd buy as many as I could, because they usually retail for 3 to 4 times that price. Eventually the higher ups realized the fuckup, but at the last store I was at, I saw a tank of about 10 of them, so sure, I'll take them all. But when they were rung up, they came up at $20 each. I never said poo poo other than "oops, the sticker says something else, maybe the price changed?" to the cashier. The girl from the fish department was shocked, and brought up the sticker that showed them at $4. I got them at that price. Amazingly I didn't have to raise my voice or scream THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT YOU'RE TRYING TO RIP ME OFF. Of course I was also on my lunch break, in uniform. And I'm not a loving oval office.

I wonder if some of the screaming banshee batshits would be less of that if they had to wear their work uniforms to go shopping. Viral shaming would have a new turn. "Employee from Target destroys rival store's stocked shelves!"

Out of curiosity, what were you doing with dozens of semi-tropical fish?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PCOS Bill posted:

They were like 75% off. How could he not buy!?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So glad I work grocery, and even then (and strangely enough) not on Saturday and Sunday as this weekend is going to be the busiest one in Massachusetts outside November/December.

Why you ask?

The normal 6.25% sales tax is waived on everything it normally applies to with the exceptions of prepared foods, vehicles, real estate, energy, and anything over $2500.

Personally I just plan on going to Microcenter and getting a new processor for my computer, getting in and out as quickly as possible.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Found out on Friday that the new help (I'll call them Red) I've gotten on overnight was told not to listen to me by the person who trained her at another store (Blue). I'm now taking her Monday and Tuesday shift (tonight and tomorrow) so she'll be able to see her kid off for a new school year. Which means I will be working with Blue. Joy. And if you want to know how I found out Red isn't listening to me, that conversation went like this:

Red: Did you tell [Manager] I'm not listening to you?
Me: You aren't.
Red: Well, I can't believe you'd do that. You know Blue told me not to listen to you! And I see you going into the back, and I know you're not doing anything back there, I'm not stupid!
Me: [Goes into the back and just sorts the cooler I didn't finish the previous day]

Ugh, the sad part is I showed the manager the coolers (we have two, sectioned off from each other) from the previous day she was talking about, where I "didn't do anything," and he was impressed as now things are not only in the same general area of where they should go, but also in the right cooler. She has also never stocked the cooler, and has no idea how much poo poo is in there.

I actually wouldn't care if she didn't listen to me if she got her job done, but she can't even really manage that. Besides the whole rusty trash can thing (which she or Blue broke the top off, then left it in the bathroom, sitting on the bottom half), she doesn't mop, sweep, restock, know how to check in an order, do paperwork without cheat sheets, or fill up depleted dispensers. Whats worse, Blue showed her how to restock our cigarettes in a way that can cause damage to the area they're stored.

The kicker though, are the food stuffs. We do coffee and Hot Dogs. They're fairly easy to do, but require certain steps in preparation. It takes Red 5 hours to clean the coffee pots, every night, and that is the extent of what she does during that time. Take in mind, other then a quick scrubbing of the outside of the pot, which should be 10 minutes max for all of them, most of it is cleaning the inside. This is solved by simply emptying the pot in the sink, running a medium/full pot through without coffee (just getting water in it basically) and dropping one pouch or tablet in it for 5-10 minutes, then emptying it again, and running a rinse, maybe 2 hours of work total if you do each pot before the next. And the only reason it takes so long is just the drip time of the coffee brewer. Most of the time is spent waiting for stuff to either get dry or get wet, not all that hard. The sad part is, she should also be taking apart the Cappuccino machine, or Fountain drink machines and cleaning them, but she only touches the cappuccino machine every other night, and never touches the fountain drinks (which need it). And when she does the cappuccino machine, she never refills it (nor anything else now that I think about it).

The Hot Dogs are insane though. General rules for the roller grill is put X items on the back burner at roughly 180, cook them for 25-30 minutes, then move them forward, then toss anything left after 3 hours. Her self made plan (from what I can tell, she said she thought it was okay), is to put them on the front burner, at like 140, for an hour, then just take away the "still cooking" sign. I don't think she wears gloves to get the dogs out of the back either.

I've tried telling the manager about this, but he kind of likes down playing everything, and doesn't seem to realize some poo poo is going down. All I know is, if I talk to Blue and she says that the district manager said to tell Red not to listen to me, I'm talking to a former manager, now DM, about a transfer to one of his stores. There's some other stuff going on, that's got me in the mind set of "get the gently caress out now," but this new hire is really driving it home.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Anora posted:

Found out on Friday that the new help (I'll call them Red) I've gotten on overnight was told not to listen to me by the person who trained her at another store (Blue). I'm now taking her Monday and Tuesday shift (tonight and tomorrow) so she'll be able to see her kid off for a new school year. Which means I will be working with Blue. Joy. And if you want to know how I found out Red isn't listening to me, that conversation went like this:

Red: Did you tell [Manager] I'm not listening to you?
Me: You aren't.
Red: Well, I can't believe you'd do that. You know Blue told me not to listen to you! And I see you going into the back, and I know you're not doing anything back there, I'm not stupid!
Me: [Goes into the back and just sorts the cooler I didn't finish the previous day]

Ugh, the sad part is I showed the manager the coolers (we have two, sectioned off from each other) from the previous day she was talking about, where I "didn't do anything," and he was impressed as now things are not only in the same general area of where they should go, but also in the right cooler. She has also never stocked the cooler, and has no idea how much poo poo is in there.

I actually wouldn't care if she didn't listen to me if she got her job done, but she can't even really manage that. Besides the whole rusty trash can thing (which she or Blue broke the top off, then left it in the bathroom, sitting on the bottom half), she doesn't mop, sweep, restock, know how to check in an order, do paperwork without cheat sheets, or fill up depleted dispensers. Whats worse, Blue showed her how to restock our cigarettes in a way that can cause damage to the area they're stored.

The kicker though, are the food stuffs. We do coffee and Hot Dogs. They're fairly easy to do, but require certain steps in preparation. It takes Red 5 hours to clean the coffee pots, every night, and that is the extent of what she does during that time. Take in mind, other then a quick scrubbing of the outside of the pot, which should be 10 minutes max for all of them, most of it is cleaning the inside. This is solved by simply emptying the pot in the sink, running a medium/full pot through without coffee (just getting water in it basically) and dropping one pouch or tablet in it for 5-10 minutes, then emptying it again, and running a rinse, maybe 2 hours of work total if you do each pot before the next. And the only reason it takes so long is just the drip time of the coffee brewer. Most of the time is spent waiting for stuff to either get dry or get wet, not all that hard. The sad part is, she should also be taking apart the Cappuccino machine, or Fountain drink machines and cleaning them, but she only touches the cappuccino machine every other night, and never touches the fountain drinks (which need it). And when she does the cappuccino machine, she never refills it (nor anything else now that I think about it).

The Hot Dogs are insane though. General rules for the roller grill is put X items on the back burner at roughly 180, cook them for 25-30 minutes, then move them forward, then toss anything left after 3 hours. Her self made plan (from what I can tell, she said she thought it was okay), is to put them on the front burner, at like 140, for an hour, then just take away the "still cooking" sign. I don't think she wears gloves to get the dogs out of the back either.

I've tried telling the manager about this, but he kind of likes down playing everything, and doesn't seem to realize some poo poo is going down. All I know is, if I talk to Blue and she says that the district manager said to tell Red not to listen to me, I'm talking to a former manager, now DM, about a transfer to one of his stores. There's some other stuff going on, that's got me in the mind set of "get the gently caress out now," but this new hire is really driving it home.

I'm assuming that you work a gas station, perhaps Speedway? I'd take a fairly tough response to the new kid. If she's not following SOP, like with the hot dogs, point it out. The glove thing especially, get on the cameras if it's possible. Unsanitary conditions are serious poo poo. If she says she was told that she didn't have to do what you say, put her in her place. If your GM is ok with the QA hit/lost food sales/health department citation, find a new store.

Edit: I definitely think you should give your GM the benefit of the doubt though, it doesn't seem like you've had the chance to speak about all of this with him.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a situation where the GM can get bitten in the rear end... and Management HATES getting bitten in the rear end, especially if no one warned them it could potentially happen and they could have.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Kickshaw posted:

Not yet, but I've only been here a few months. But prom season starts in December and continues through April, and then there's graduations through May and June, so I'm sure I'll be sick of gowns and tuxedos soon enough.

On the other hand, I'll be getting tons of commission those months. :D

Are you one of those stores that doesn't let people take pictures of the dresses? I never understood that. You can write down the designer and style number to look up online later to find somewhere else cheaper but oh no can't take a goddamn picture. Why is this?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

I wanted a good selection so I could breed them someday. Bichirs aren't commonly bred in captivity, so the more I have the better chance I have of getting a breeding pair that won't kill each other.

I feel bad for the guys at Target. Everyone I know is bitching about the 'liberal media' making Target make everything gender-neutral. So all boys have to wear dresses now, and all girls have to become feminazis, and if you can catch an employee using a gender specific word, you can get them fired!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wanted a good selection so I could breed them someday. Bichirs aren't commonly bred in captivity, so the more I have the better chance I have of getting a breeding pair that won't kill each other.

I feel bad for the guys at Target. Everyone I know is bitching about the 'liberal media' making Target make everything gender-neutral. So all boys have to wear dresses now, and all girls have to become feminazis, and if you can catch an employee using a gender specific word, you can get them fired!

Yeah, liberals are nuts and I wish they'd all lose the ability to post on the internet forever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, liberals are nuts and I wish they'd all lose the ability to post on the internet forever.

Liberals are to white bread to be nuts.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Mooktastical posted:

I'm assuming that you work a gas station, perhaps Speedway? I'd take a fairly tough response to the new kid. If she's not following SOP, like with the hot dogs, point it out. The glove thing especially, get on the cameras if it's possible. Unsanitary conditions are serious poo poo. If she says she was told that she didn't have to do what you say, put her in her place. If your GM is ok with the QA hit/lost food sales/health department citation, find a new store.

Edit: I definitely think you should give your GM the benefit of the doubt though, it doesn't seem like you've had the chance to speak about all of this with him.

The direct store Manager I have talked to, and every time I talk to him, he tries to change the subject, or just down plays everything. I really don't get a chance to talk to the DM/GM, except once when I called her after an incident with an Assistant manager.

The assistant manager is a young girl, I'll call her Green, and really is way to immature for management. The first time we met I was nice to her, but asked her about the way we had just rearranged the floor plan, as it moved everything but one aisle out of view, she just stared at me like an idiot when I brought up that we can no longer see the easily pocketable stuff. Second interaction was finding out that she knew about a freezer that was broken in a way that when you went to get a drink out of it you could smell something burning, and could barely breath.

The incident in which I called the DM was not to long ago. A "kid" we have working for us in the morning doing outside trash and general cleaning wanted to pick up some extra hours at night after his other job, which is fine. Problem is, he has severe ADHD, and unless you stay on him about doing things one after the other, he kind of forgets what he was doing, plus he has the mentality of someone much younger then he is. Green decided he needs to learn to use a register. So I get there to a store in which none of the general cleaning has been done, Bathrooms and floors are covered in dirt and TP scraps, the cup holders are barren, roller grill is filthy with old grease that has congealed, and none of the coffee pots that are supposed to be taken down and at least drained are done. I ignore most of that, as it's something that happens far to often for me to go off on it at this point, and I have to clean it anyway, just means it takes longer.

So I start working on it after opening my register. Which is another whole issue, as she keeps loving those up. We have $50 registers, and if you leave about $25 in "big bills," the cashier that takes the register over is good, as long as they don't get bombed by $20s or $100s. She left $60, $20 in quarters, $25 in ones, and $10 in 5s. People were not happy when they were getting $17 in ones and quarters. It's sorta of become her call sign to leave as few fives as possible, no one likes this. Anyway, I start restocking to food station, and listen for customers, one comes in and I start heading around to get him, she jumps on my register to cash him out. I tell her, "Hey, don't get in other people's register," not in an angry tone of voice, just very matter of factly (it is company policy, as you can't fire someone for an off drawer if two people were in it). Her normal happy tone with the customer turns into dead silence, but she finishes the transaction. Before he's out of the door, she spins around on me and starts screaming about how she's the assistant manager, and can get in other people's drawers, and that I need to show more respect. I tell her straight up, that she isn't, as only store managers are allowed into the register, that she didn't clean, and she didn't check in an order from the day before. Not checking in (or even trying to in her case) is huge as if you don't report item shortages in 24 hours, you don't get credit for them, or you you can eat a $100+ item you can't use, this is bad. She simmered down a bit and finished her register close out, then left, staying mostly silent.

So I start getting things cleaned, as well as seeing customers. I notice at one point that her car is still in the parking lot. Turns out she was calling a manager, from a different store, to come and chastise me. Pvt. Ex-military there comes in and asks what's going on, and starts getting on my case. See, Pvt. Ex-military was supposed to be the manager of the store I'm at, but after training (for 5 months) at another store, it was determined that he wasn't good at his job. But Green still thinks he's going to be the manager at my store anyway, I have been told by multiple people that he is not, and that he cannot tell people at my store what to do. So he tells me Green was in her car, bawling, on the phone to him about me being disrespectful to her. I'm just dumbfounded, but since I'm already on a bit of a "gently caress you," kick, I just start telling him he's not the manager here and he needs to leave, this continues for 2 hours until he leaves.

Sorry that was so long. I'm just not sure where in the chain this stupidity starts. I'm not sure if the DM told Blue to tell red not to listen to me, or what. As the DM seems to not be organized enough to tell the managers which stores are theirs, or which managers are even staying at what stores. Hell, for 6 months the store I was in had only two full time employees and was borrowing the rest from other stores. I know that I feel stupid for staying there this long, but it pays slightly more then the other stores in the area.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Santheb posted:

I get that the price on the sign is what you pay, but to immediately get all up in arms about it the way most people do is nuts. If you're right, we'll absolutely honor the price, it's just that we have to verify it first. And the people in line behind you are going to hate you.

The other one that gets me is people that buy say, a couch at full price. They come in two weeks later and we're down to the display model of said couch, obviously marked down for a variety of reasons. They first find an hourly and ask them what they can do about it (nothing) which leads to us calling a manager who has to decide whether to give this cheapskate who got one new, in a box, the same price as one that two thousand people have already sat on.

We also have to verify. It just blows customer's minds that we can't just take their word for it that the item was marked $10 less than what it rang up as. If anyone who doesn't work retail is reading this thread, about 95% of the time a customer says to us "it should be x price!" it's because they either misread a sales sign, or because some other lazy person decided they didn't want that item and just ditched it on one of the shelves. But, when the mistake is legitimately ours, I'm always happy to honor the mistake price.

I've been chewed out many times for this. "Do you know how this makes me feel? You're pretty much telling me you think I'm a liar! raaaarrrrgghhh!"

No, ma'am, I'm trying not to get written up because you probably looked at whatever sales sign you wanted and decided that must be the price of this particular item.

Also, re: display models:

I'll have people want to buy it, but ONLY if they can get an even steeper discount than the clearance price because there's some minor imperfection or flaw. Usually it's already marked down anywhere from 75-90% off and we're taking a hit by marking it down that far instead of just sending it back. Also, the "the box is damaged, I want a new one" people should be shot into the sun. There are some scratches on the box, yes. That doesn't mean your microwave will be in tiny little pieces.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 11, 2015

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
About minimum wage. I make 15 an hour here in Georgia. If minimum wage raises to 15, what about me? It sounds like a recipe for inflation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A certain amount of inflation is good, most modern nations are built around it. Plus it's not like it would happen over night.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

thewireguy posted:

About minimum wage. I make 15 an hour here in Georgia. If minimum wage raises to 15, what about me? It sounds like a recipe for inflation.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here, in which case :allears:. Skip the rest of this post if I'm right!

On the other hand, if you're serious and you have some kind of job which requires qualifications, you may or may not have a brief period where you can job-hunt for opportunities at companies which have gotten with the times faster than your current employer, assuming that your current employer isn't intelligent enough to have hiked wages for your position. Or, more cynically, you'll find yourself out of a job as a way for your employer to keep their current profit margin while raising pay for everyone more experienced/valuable than you.

Also, it's pretty lovely that the current American economy and its participants have to pay the piper over this, but in America we just looove to fellate policies and procedures which are resulting in an increasingly-large segment of our working population being shifted into minimum-wage jobs (often part-time). Of course it's unlikely that a minimum wage hike will actually have the effect of reducing wealth inequality, because of the second scenario I outlined above (gently caress if folk with decisionmaking power would be willing to reduce their own wages/benefits in order to correct the profit-margin shift), but as I've found in the past it's pretty goddamn difficult to make any kind of nuanced point to Americans. Once the first city shifted its municipal minimum wage to an aggregate $15/hr, it was inevitable that national movements would be kicked off.

On the third hand, if you're serious and don't have some kind of job which requires qualifications, well, I guess the moral is that you can :fuckoff:

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I am serious. Maybe I need to do more research. I do have skills, have been making signs for 20 years. I'd assume they would fire me than give me 40 an hour. I would think a gradual increase would be the way to go, but isn't that inflation whether slow or fast? I feel bad for families struggling under minimum wage. It is modern day slavery. What would a gallon of milk cost of a burger flipper made 15? gently caress, time to sleep. I have to open tomorrow.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Oh and gently caress half minimum wage for restaurants. And drat that delivery fee that doubles my pizza price. I used to deliver and saw that charge and gave a $0 tip, assuming gratuity or something, then found out about it and felt bad.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

thewireguy posted:

I am serious. Maybe I need to do more research. I do have skills, have been making signs for 20 years. I'd assume they would fire me than give me 40 an hour. I would think a gradual increase would be the way to go, but isn't that inflation whether slow or fast? I feel bad for families struggling under minimum wage. It is modern day slavery. What would a gallon of milk cost of a burger flipper made 15? gently caress, time to sleep. I have to open tomorrow.

The way people usually explain this is that all these minimum wage jobs are already operating with as few people as possible. They aren't paying folks out of the goodness of their hearts, they need them. If they didn't, they'd just operate with fewer people now, pre-wage-hike, and have a higher profit margin. So if suddenly everyone costs more per hour, there's nothing they can do except keep paying them; labor costs have been slashed as far as they can already.

As for you, in your above-minimum-wage job which is about to be minimum wage, think about it this way: if you can make the same money flipping burgers, selling paper, or doing literally anything, you have a lot more leverage negotiating with your employer for a higher wage.

And for prices, the wage/price spiral is mostly made up. Labor costs make up a small fraction of overall costs of most products, especially things made by minimum wage workers. If you doubled the wages of everyone at McDonald's, average per-meal price goes up under a dollar. A gallon of milk will cost pretty much what it costs now, maybe a little more, ten to twenty cents.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today I had a customer who was either legit dumb or was trying to do something where I would recommend something, it would go bad for her and she could sue the store: Lady came in wanting something she could apply to her car brakes to stop the squeaking sounds. She kept trying to ask me "what would be best" and what I would recommend and was asking about every drat lubricant and oil we had. She just would not accept no for an answer, or even me telling her to go to auto zone or o'rielly and ask them. She didn't understand why putting a lubricant, something that prevents 2 things from grinding against one another, on car brakes is a really loving dumb idea. Thankfully after getting another employee to back me up she finally left.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Leal posted:

Lady came in wanting something she could apply to her car brakes to stop the squeaking sounds.

I have no idea where you work but if it's in auto parts man... she needs brake pads. :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SolTerrasa posted:

The way people usually explain this is that all these minimum wage jobs are already operating with as few people as possible. They aren't paying folks out of the goodness of their hearts, they need them. If they didn't, they'd just operate with fewer people now, pre-wage-hike, and have a higher profit margin. So if suddenly everyone costs more per hour, there's nothing they can do except keep paying them; labor costs have been slashed as far as they can already.

As for you, in your above-minimum-wage job which is about to be minimum wage, think about it this way: if you can make the same money flipping burgers, selling paper, or doing literally anything, you have a lot more leverage negotiating with your employer for a higher wage.

And for prices, the wage/price spiral is mostly made up. Labor costs make up a small fraction of overall costs of most products, especially things made by minimum wage workers. If you doubled the wages of everyone at McDonald's, average per-meal price goes up under a dollar. A gallon of milk will cost pretty much what it costs now, maybe a little more, ten to twenty cents.

In an Australian supermarket you can buy a loaf of bread for a dollar, and a 3l bottle of milk for $4. We get $21 an hour.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Skunkrocker posted:

I have no idea where you work but if it's in auto parts man... she needs brake pads. :v:
Not always.
Glazed pads squeal. Also shims and stuff is put behind the pads to stop squealing too.
Either way, she needs to see a mechanic or brake specialist, not an random autoparts store worker.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SolTerrasa posted:

People also tend to not factor in that that extra $7 in people's pockets goes somewhere. And if someone was already working minimum wage, that somewhere is probably not into savings. So whatever a business might lose in wages could be made up easily with more people able to buy more things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Not to mention the benefits to the government from increased tax revenue.