Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Eclipse class is virtually a completely different ship, it's larger and comes with its own Superlaser, as if the Emperor Reborn wasn't compensating enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Almost all SSDs are Executor-class, to the point that the terms are basically synonymous.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I finished Crucible a couple weeks ago. I've honestly hated most of Troy Denning's work, be it individual books, or the direction he steered the last two big multi author series'. In comparison to his previous work I'd say that Crucible might actually be considered 'good'. I'll even say the Sabbac game was kind of clever. I didn't end up completely hating the book like I thought I was going to.

Of course if Denning was supposed to wrap things up, he did kind of a horseshit job. The main three do finally step back a little, 20 years further down the timeline than was originally planned. He left a lot of plot lines open, like he was going to get back to them later, and it just doesn't feel like a proper sendoff.

Edit: Oh, Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void is pretty good once you get past the odd writing style.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up Crucible on audiobook but have fallen asleep with in 10 minutes both times I started listening to it :(

I'm not blaming the book for this, just unfortunate that I'm exhausted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You can't lay all the blame on Denning for not ending the Big 3's story more definitively. He was told either late in writing or during editing that the higher ups with Lucas Licensing wanted it left a lot more open.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had the will power to stop reading these books god damnit

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

You can't lay all the blame on Denning for not ending the Big 3's story more definitively. He was told either late in writing or during editing that the higher ups with Lucas Licensing wanted it left a lot more open.
Their wrap up was fine, just about every other plot line was left wide open.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone have some material discussing the situation with Del Ray? I googled it and checked TFN forums but didn't find anything.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone have some material discussing the situation with Del Ray? I googled it and checked TFN forums but didn't find anything.

Not trying to be a prick here (especially since I can't answer your question), but the proper spelling is "Del Rey". I don't know how good Google's auto-correct feature is, maybe you'll find more material that way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Not trying to be a prick here (especially since I can't answer your question), but the proper spelling is "Del Rey". I don't know how good Google's auto-correct feature is, maybe you'll find more material that way.
I was on my phone, meant to spell it the right way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From things people have said they asked Del Rey people and authors at conventions, it seems clear that Del Rey has no idea what's going to happen to their contract beyond next year and have put on hold putting out any new book contracts beyond what they already have, and even then they've basically cancelled the rest of their upcoming post-ROTJ books, or at least frozen them until they know what will happen with the sequel plots and whether their contract will be renewed.

There's a lot of speculation that Disney will try to move it to an in-house publisher (Hyperion, I guess?) but for what it's worth, not as much as the near certainty that Dark Horse is going to lose to Marvel when the DH contract is up next year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

the near certainty that Dark Horse is going to lose to Marvel when the DH contract is up next year.

This honestly pisses me off. I love Dark Horse and this is going to hurt them a lot, no matter what anyone says. It's also the axe hanging over any ongoing SW series, knowing they only have a year at most to tell the stories they want to tell. It's such a poo poo situation from a creative standpoint. The various DH SW series have always been my favorite branch of the EU, and more importantly, they've been fairly consistent in quality. And next year it'll all be gone just so Disney can make a little more money by bringing them under the umbrella of Marvel. They won't even have an incentive to hire good creative teams because the company that's publishing them isn't depending on that revenue to thrive in the comic book industry. It's immensely sad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we have confirmation that the license is leaving Dark Horse? Or is it still just conjecture at this point?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At one point the main Star Wars editor guy said in an interview he was pretty sure they were losing the contract, then claimed he was taken out of context, then it happened again, then he said he was taken out of context again. But given what Disney had done with other acquisitions and the fact that that guy has lied pretty blatantly before I think it's pretty likely.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

At one point the main Star Wars editor guy said in an interview he was pretty sure they were losing the contract, then claimed he was taken out of context, then it happened again, then he said he was taken out of context again. But given what Disney had done with other acquisitions and the fact that that guy has lied pretty blatantly before I think it's pretty likely.

Disney's merchandising empire would never allow Dark Horse to continue in the the direction it was previously going.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you mean?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzyjello posted:

Disney's merchandising empire would never allow Dark Horse to continue in the the direction it was previously going.

Yeah, what exactly does this mean? I've been keeping up with all of Dark Horse's Star Wars comic output for years and none of it strikes me as "anti-disney" or anything. All in all it's very similar to Del Rey's approach to the novels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Troy Denning made a blog post on his work on Dark Nest/Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi/Crucible. Some real ugh parts.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/08/06/the-genesis-of-star-wars-crucible-and-the-answer-i-never-know/

Big ones off the top of my head:

-A lot of the blame for FOTJ can apparently be laid at Allston's feet

-Crucible was intended as a "last hurrah" from the start, which makes its really abrupt ending even more confusing.

-Denning just completely misses the point about Vergere in Traitor.

-The guy really is entirely obsessed with bugs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Chairman Capone posted:

I totally believe that :v:

not actually denning is a hack

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That blog entry is sort of interesting I guess.

Chairman Capone posted:

If this really is true it makes me sad. How could the guy who wrote the Wraith squadron books also give us Abeloth :smith:

quote:

-Denning just completely misses the point about Vergere in Traitor.
-The guy really is entirely obsessed with bugs.

And yeah I could have told you both of these things before Denning ever made that blog post.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Denning sure knows how to write a really annoying stream of consciousness.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My view on Allston is that the Wraith books were fun, but his NJO books were half good and half full of ridiculous stuff and not in the good way (remember, he invented Mr. Lightsaber Knees) and between LOTF/FOTJ, he wrote six really lovely books. Maybe less lovely than the other authors' of those series but that's a pretty drat low bar.

And I actually liked Mercy Kill, but it still suffered in my view for being so closely connected to the LOTF/FOTJ series (as well as directly continuing one of its dumbest side plots).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

And I actually liked Mercy Kill, but it still suffered in my view for being so closely connected to the LOTF/FOTJ series (as well as directly continuing one of its dumbest side plots).
Costume party conspiracy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

My view on Allston is that the Wraith books were fun, but his NJO books were half good and half full of ridiculous stuff and not in the good way (remember, he invented Mr. Lightsaber Knees) and between LOTF/FOTJ, he wrote six really lovely books. Maybe less lovely than the other authors' of those series but that's a pretty drat low bar.

Oh, he wrote part of LOTF/FOTJ? I must have missed the byline. Well, gently caress.

To be fair Allston's got a pretty poor track record of dealing with the whole "Force" thing. I probably intentionally forgot the "magic hidden-for-a-thousand-years force well that lets you throw big rocks" thing from NJO, so if he came up with that...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm reading through Travis' Republic Commando series.

In the first book some things seem off with her characterization of Jedi/Jedi Culture but I am chocking that up to the only Jedi Character they interact with being a terrible Padawan. In Zero Zero Zero, there are certain parts that ping wrong as hell with the "mando" hero worship and some Jedi culture things, writ baby taking facism. I can only assume I am watching an Author spiral into madness.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

KildarX posted:

So I'm reading through Travis' Republic Commando series.

In the first book some things seem off with her characterization of Jedi/Jedi Culture but I am chocking that up to the only Jedi Character they interact with being a terrible Padawan. In Zero Zero Zero, there are certain parts that ping wrong as hell with the "mando" hero worship and some Jedi culture things, writ baby taking facism. I can only assume I am watching an Author spiral into madness.

I for one would REALLY love to see some of this Traviss insanity forum sperg that is supposedly saved. gently caress her whole attitude

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I sometimes really think that some of the criticism of Traviss is blown out of proportion. At least in the RepCom books, the characters 'worshiping' the Mandos and the titular commandos have a decent reason to do so. Etain was introduced to them so suddenly and literally the very first thing she sees Mando-trained commandos do is save her life repeatedly, its no surprise she's fond of them. Then you've got Bardan Jusik, who was getting disillusioned with the Jedi Order anyway, well before throwing in the Mandos.

About the only time that completely 'unwarranted' Mando-worship comes up is in one of her LotF books, where it opens with Luke watching Ben (his son, not his mentor; for those out of the loop) train and randomly starts waxing philosophical about how in Mando culture his son would already be old enough to be considered a full grown man.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

jivjov posted:

I sometimes really think that some of the criticism of Traviss is blown out of proportion. At least in the RepCom books, the characters 'worshiping' the Mandos and the titular commandos have a decent reason to do so. Etain was introduced to them so suddenly and literally the very first thing she sees Mando-trained commandos do is save her life repeatedly, its no surprise she's fond of them. Then you've got Bardan Jusik, who was getting disillusioned with the Jedi Order anyway, well before throwing in the Mandos.

About the only time that completely 'unwarranted' Mando-worship comes up is in one of her LotF books, where it opens with Luke watching Ben (his son, not his mentor; for those out of the loop) train and randomly starts waxing philosophical about how in Mando culture his son would already be old enough to be considered a full grown man.

Pretty much every female in the Commandos series of books falls in love with a Mando 10 seconds after meeting them

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Pretty much every female in the Commandos series of books falls in love with a Mando 10 seconds after meeting them

Pretty much this, and then you have literal hero worship by the Male Jedi dude, and pretty much the entire theme of the second book is "Goddamn being a Mando is kicken rad I WANT TO [be a mando/have a mando child]" depending on gender. Yes some characters have their reasons, but then you have [so far] the Random Twilek bar tender, The treasury officer?, and the chick from accounting? Almost every incidental character that isn't evil wants to bone or be a Mando

Doesn't mean it isn't a good series so far it's just every so often there's something in the book that makes me turn my head in a "why is this here" fashion, and I am begining to suspect that the prevalence of this shall increase as I get to more recent works.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 8, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AcidRonin posted:

I for one would REALLY love to see some of this Traviss insanity forum sperg that is supposedly saved. gently caress her whole attitude

Personally my favorite thing was how she wrote some sort of screed on her website, comparing people who liked jedi to Nazis. It has since been removed from her site, but I'm sure someone out there saved it. It was really something to behold.

e: VVV Oh, she didn't even remove it? That makes it even better! And yeah she explodes at the slightest bit of criticism. It's amazing.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 8, 2013

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

^^^
Haha, beat me to it.

Just read this part of her website if you think the anti-Traviss sentiment is out of proportion:

http://www.karentraviss.com/page10/files/Is_it_true_you_hate_Jedi_.html

The TLDR is that she explicitly states that if you're a fan of the Jedi then you are a literal real-life Nazi.

Also back when the whole Traviss thing was blowing up she also did stuff like compare her detractors to the Taliban, talk about having fantasies of garotting them, and claim the reason they hate her is because her characters have so much more sex than they do.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't get what 'Talifan' meant at first, equating people who don't like your work with the Taliban wasn't my first guess.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I...what the gently caress??

quote:

I'm sure you think you're a nice decent person who's kind to animals, recycles faithfully, and fills in tax returns honestly. Maybe you believe in God, too. But to me, you're someone who harbours a vile and degrading belief in the concept of Untermensch

Untermensch?? :stonk: isnt this a bit super serial to attach to loving STARWARS novles?

quote:

It's slave-owner-think: it's Nazi-think. And yes, I bloody well hate it, and all those who think it.

It's not about Jedi - who don't even exist. It's about you.

Oh no, apparently it isnt. Remember kids if you dont like my books, your a Nazi-Terrorist that i hate.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There isn't even any material to really support her thinking, she just filled in blanks and made up a bunch of stuff about made up characters and got mad at it. It's like playing make-believe with your kid and getting mad at her imaginary friend for being a Communist sympathizer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

There isn't even any material to really support her thinking, she just filled in blanks and made up a bunch of stuff about made up characters and got mad at it. It's like playing make-believe with your kid and getting mad at her imaginary friend for being a Communist sympathizer

Oh I am pretty sure the thought process is a fair bit more twisted, nonsensical, and utterly insane than even that.

As far as Allston goes, I'm absolutely loving certain based on his writing that he's trolling. I mean, Centerpoint-Anakin retard AI? Lightsaber-knees? Darth Accountant?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Darth Accountant legit owned, though.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.
I'm rereading the Plagueis novel and visualizing a Muun kill the poo poo out of people barehanded will never cease to amuse me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't there a bit in Traviss's Order 66 book that tries to vindicate the Jedi purge, and then Scout (from Yoda: Dark Rendezvous) joins up with the Mandalorians because the Jedi hated her for having weak Force abilities?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

api call girl posted:

I mean, Centerpoint-Anakin retard AI? Lightsaber-knees? Darth Accountant?

What is Darth Accountant and what book do I have to buy to read of his many glorious adventures of him making sure the Empires W2s are all in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

KildarX posted:

What is Darth Accountant and what book do I have to buy to read of his many glorious adventures of him making sure the Empires W2s are all in order?

Is death by employer's force-choke covered by insurance?