Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long did you tighten it until it got to that? Tighten the string until there's no slack and it sounds like a guitar string and isn't all low and buzzy. Then you either tighten it or loosen it to the nearest note it should be. If it sounds kind of high and it's at A when you need it to be at E, go back down not up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Newbie question: Generally speaking, is it better to get an "expensive" Epiphone or a "cheap" Gibson if I'm looking to spend in the $500-$1,000 range? What's the difference between the two brands for someone who is floating somewhere between novice and intermediate skill level, but is ready to put in a couple of hours a day practice?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Newbie question: Generally speaking, is it better to get an "expensive" Epiphone or a "cheap" Gibson if I'm looking to spend in the $500-$1,000 range? What's the difference between the two brands for someone who is floating somewhere between novice and intermediate skill level, but is ready to put in a couple of hours a day practice?

buy a nice used gibson.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smash it Smash hit posted:

buy a nice used gibson.

Gibson and listen to SISI if you're down with used guitars.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

buy a nice used gibson.

I looked into this, but there really isn't much of a selection at the local pawnshops and craigslist. :/

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is not guaranteed hosed or anything, but do you want to take that risk for $140? I mean the guy selling it could have easily strung it and sold it for more, which kind of makes me wonder as well.

People can be stupid. We're talking about craigslist. Ask if you can string it, and try it out before you buy. If it's hosed, you're out 5 bucks.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

I looked into this, but there really isn't much of a selection at the local pawnshops and craigslist. :/

Where are you located? You can always buy used online, though there's a gamble there. If you're going to buy a new Gibson, wait til about November because then they start to clear out that year's models at significantly lower prices. I bought an SG Future for under half what they were selling for the rest of the year. To be fair, that was not a terribly popular model but it was what I was looking for. Even on the Standards there are savings of a few hundred bucks to be had.

I still think used is a great option, and I think I would try to get an MIJ guitar (Epiphone or otherwise) over other imports if you don't want to pay Gibson US prices.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

Where are you located? You can always buy used online, though there's a gamble there. If you're going to buy a new Gibson, wait til about November because then they start to clear out that year's models at significantly lower prices. I bought an SG Future for under half what they were selling for the rest of the year. To be fair, that was not a terribly popular model but it was what I was looking for. Even on the Standards there are savings of a few hundred bucks to be had.

I still think used is a great option, and I think I would try to get an MIJ guitar (Epiphone or otherwise) over other imports if you don't want to pay Gibson US prices.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy anything online that I haven't had the chance to play around with. I'm in Western Colorado, which is kind of rural, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to head over to Denver and check out some guitar stores and pawn shops there.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

I'm not sure I'd want to buy anything online that I haven't had the chance to play around with. I'm in Western Colorado, which is kind of rural, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to head over to Denver and check out some guitar stores and pawn shops there.

yeah or just check Denver cl too and hit some people up and come into town hit up the cl people, pawnshops and such.

to be honest, rural pawnshops are the best, hit some of those up on the way. You find MUCH more interesting stuff there and sometimes they have no idea what they got

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yamaha THR10C or Line 6 Amplifi 150 for quiet bedroom / headphone practice? I'm torn.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Any reason why the 150 instead of the 75?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I read in a couple of reviews that it sounds "better" (which is probably bullshit), they're also both on sale where I live and it wouldn't be that much more expensive than the 75. The Line 6 amps would both be significantly more expensive than the Yamaha though.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Forgot that the 75 is an 8" speaker while the 150 has a 12" Celestion speaker. That's pretty much it for differences. Of the Yamaha, the 75, and 150, the 150 really is the only one that could be gigged with and compete with a drummer if you ever want to do that. Both the Yamaha and the Amplifi get a decent variety of sounds although I liked the sound of the THR10C more out of the box than the Amplifi which takes a fair bit of finagling. But the number of sounds out of the Amplifi and different effects and amps is really extensive and the song tone match thing is rather cool.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Those Amplifi's still only have an app for iOS?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

revolther posted:

Those Amplifi's still only have an app for iOS?

yerp, I've heard there might be an android app sometime this year but that isn't in stone yet.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, I'm an iOS user, and the sheer awesomeness of the Line 6 app is quite intriguing. Then again, the 150 is quite big and boxy for an amp I'm only ever going to use at home (I play strictly for fun / myself, I'm not good enough to even think about "gigging"), and constantly having to use the app might be a little cumbersome. I really like the tiny footprint of the Yamaha. Then again, that 12" Celestion speaker would make the Amplifi an awesome boombox for my iTunes library... Ugh, choices.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I have the Amplifi 75 in my office. It's a nice little sound system. Being Line6 it's got all the sounds and models you could want. It's compact but it'll thunder. I just run my guitar into my crybaby and then into the amplifi and it's good to go. If it wasn't for the crybaby I'd probably just do a completely wireless setup in there which would be ultra sweet and clean. I have all of my backing tracks on my phone so I just connect via blue tooth and I can practice my set list. My main gripe with it is for something that's functioning as a mini-PA it should allow for a microphone to go in as well. Since it has only one guitar input no friends are playing along either. Also, it's a piece of furniture really..more like a home stereo component than an amp. Don't gig with it unless you just want to break pieces off of it.

There's no learning curve on the patch setup because it's all pictures. It's fun and a kid could do it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

No matter how much I want to tell myself I'm thirty and I should be beyond such childish whimsy, I just really enjoy playing Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Death.

I've tried to tell myself that I'm mature, that it's caprice and I'm not a smelly teenager anymore - I've been chewing through realbooks, classical sheet music, folk and rockabilly and while they're all fun, nothing comes close to the thrill of smashing out a crushing riff or mini-lead section into a wailing cacophony of harmonic distortion.

I think I need to stick my Strat under the bed and pick up a Jackson.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
lol you old geezer

My best friend in high school hit a low point and felt like he had to mature or whatever. He wanted to play jazz. I was like "fine, that's cool" but I didn't realize he meant he was going to totally drop everything to do it. He had been given a 1964 Gibson SG by his mom's boyfriend. Trying to get in good with the kid. Probably one of the best guitars any of us could have ever owned. Just smooth as silk. Certainly too good for a high school kid. Among his boneheaded desires to grow up, he took that guitar down to guitar center and did a straight trade for an off the shelf regular rear end Stratocaster because that's a better guitar for jazz. I wanted to kill him.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

ZombieParts posted:

lol you old geezer

My best friend in high school hit a low point and felt like he had to mature or whatever. He wanted to play jazz. I was like "fine, that's cool" but I didn't realize he meant he was going to totally drop everything to do it. He had been given a 1964 Gibson SG by his mom's boyfriend. Trying to get in good with the kid. Probably one of the best guitars any of us could have ever owned. Just smooth as silk. Certainly too good for a high school kid. Among his boneheaded desires to grow up, he took that guitar down to guitar center and did a straight trade for an off the shelf regular rear end Stratocaster because that's a better guitar for jazz. I wanted to kill him.

The worst kind of person for lots of reasons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The day I stop playing heavy metal is the day I'm so old that my hands get too arthritic to even play guitar at all.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

The day I stop playing heavy metal is the day I'm so old that my hands get too arthritic to even play guitar at all.

Even in that case you could probably have a 2 string guitar tuned in fifths with super low action and light strings. You'd be able to put a brace on your hand to avoid pain and only need gross motor skills to hammer out some sick rhythm riffs. Or pay a software developer to design something that would allow you to trigger a computer music interface with a sip-and-puff system. You could potentially play both, kind of like Bob Dylan with one of those harmonica brace things.

Actually I'm going to go find out how expensive that would be to put together because it could be really fun.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Spanish Manlove posted:

The day I stop playing theavy metalRamones is the day I'm so old that my hands get too arthritic to even play guitar at all.

RIP Tommy, dammit.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 14, 2014

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is it Jason Becker that got ALS? Monster guitarist paralysed in his wheelchair, writing music into the computer using his eyelids. Blink once for chugga chugga, twice for widdly widdly neeooow.

Les Paul broke his arm and when they said setting it properly might mean he would never play again he just went 'gently caress it, set it so I can hold the guitar and I'll just have an arm out there at a right angle for the rest of my life, no big'.

Mick Mars from Crue has some crazy thing where his bones are fusing and he goes out killing it in arenas whilst not being able to bend his neck or spine.

Guess what I'm saying is there are worse things than having cranky hands to get round. Make the most of it while we still can.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I went to Bonnaroo with some fantastically hot hippie girls. Five psychedelic infused days later my taste for metal was waning.

Still listen to the likes of Sleep and Electric Wizard but I haven't spun my Disembowelment records in ages.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

/!\ Posting from pawn shop /!\

I took your guys' advice and did another pawn shop sweep and found and Gibson Les Paul Studio (2012) for $699. What do you guys think?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I took your guys' advice and did another pawn shop sweep and found and Gibson Les Paul Studio (2012) for $699. What do you guys think?
That's a pretty good price for a LP Studio, what color/condition is it in?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

iostream.h posted:

That's a pretty good price for a LP Studio, what color/condition is it in?

Bah, loving pawn shops. When I went to buy it, there was a "pricing mistake" and it's now a grand. :argh:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Bah, loving pawn shops. When I went to buy it, there was a "pricing mistake" and it's now a grand. :argh:
Dude, hit me up on iMessage/Google Talk if you can, iostream.header at gee male.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZombieParts posted:

lol you old geezer

Selling an SG for a Strat because !jazz! is the most backwards thing what the hell

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would have literally killed my friend if he did that

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

muike posted:

I would have literally killed my friend if he did that

If I were on your jury I'd vote to acquit

What's the hot new thing in acoustic strings these days? Going to pick up some NYXLs for my electric and I figure I should throw something in for the 70s-ish Applause I just got.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Unless it comes with a solid case, see if they'll take 600.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Vis-a-vis my current megadeth fascination: is there any way to get the double-rectifier type hnnngggg without paying for a Mesa-Boogie? FWIW I've got an amp modeler which does a decent impression, I'm thinking of actual amps, since I am clearly not suited to this Fender Blues Jr.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Something based on a soldano

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ADA MP-1.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Unless it comes with a solid case, see if they'll take 600.

It did come with a solid case, but see my previous post about the price increase.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

It did come with a solid case, but see my previous post about the price increase.

It is a pawn shop though, if they want to move it they will take the quick buck. Just be ready to walk if they try to hold out for more money. Cannot hurt to try if you want the guitar. It is not like Studios are super rare or anything.

Get an agile. :D

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone interested in learning bare music theory (not instrument specific) a course started today on coursera: https://class.coursera.org/musictheory-001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Man, at a thousand bucks should have made it clear that replacing a store front window would probably cost them the difference. 500 bucks over priced at a grand, used, man what scumbags.

poo poo use bugmenot to do a blue book of it then walk in with the printout, the 360 bucks they probably gave someone for it, then piss on their floor.

Pricing error, what assholes, clearly that hit a nerve.