Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
With m/kb you gotta use classic camera so WASD controls the battle menu instead of your character. You'll still have to switch to arrows in menus that use L-stick like equipment and bestiary. Also had to remap some face buttons for minigames. It was okay.

Hope I can marry Vince. Partners in the arena, partners in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress I'm in post game and went back to octagonia. A kid told me where something might be happening and I beat what I didn't realise was part one of a two part fight. Thought ok maybe I've got my mp and nope straight in. I love this game but stuff like this is annoying because I got my head kicked in and now it's all the way back after running for miles to even hit the event.

Ah well I guess.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

KB/M is ok but not great. Controller is far, far better if you can get a cheap wired logitech gamepad or something.

drat, I'm not just a controller user, so if KB/M is not good, I may pass on this game (DQ XI). how bad we talking? Dark Souls 1 PC port bad? Or Dark Souls 3? I could deal with DS3.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You run around an open world. Combat is turn based. If you really don’t like controllers, I can’t imagine the M+KB would be bad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
KB/M is completely fine, I had no issues playing through the game with it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, giving this a shot, my first DQ game!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
M/KB faces three primary issues in DQ11:

1. There is no mouse support in menus at all. In fact the only mouse support is in moving the camera, I don't think you can even make the mouse buttons do anything without some other software to make the game think they're keyboard keys.
2. All control prompts are XBox. Period.
3. All Keyboard controls are mapped to controller buttons. This can create some awkwardness as you have both WASD as the Left Stick and the Arrow Keys as the Dpad, and Menus only recognize the Dpad with controllers so I would assume the same thing for Keyboards.

I'm not familliar with Dark Souls 3 at all, but DS:PTDE but with much better mouse camera control is a pretty apt comparison. There's also the benefit of this being a turn based game with virtually no timing elements as opposed to an Action game where timing everything is key.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Played the game a lot since my last post, it's going well. M+KB is perfectly fine, easy to play. Thanks!

Question: I've got this supplicant card which I forged up to +3; it's some kind of dlc/pre-order bonus and it restores 3 MP/turn in combat. Is that crazy overpowered all game, or does it just seem that way now because of how early I still am in the game? edit: the healer +2 card is pretty good too. Haven't went through Kingsbarrow yet.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 24, 2018

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

It'll remain useful for a good chunk of the game but it drops off sharply once your abilities start taking up more and more MP. The thing about DQXI is you're never very far from a campfire or town at any given time (and can by and large choose when to engage with enemies), so you don't have to worry about MP conservation in this one as much as other entries.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nah it's a good item, but eventually you'll want to replace it with something that provides more combat stats or resistances. Plus there are several items in the game that provide some kind of per turn healing. Don't sweat it.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I personally use both M/KB and controller at the same time. I use M/KB mainly for exploration and easy fights and controller to go through menus and extended fights. Sounds awkward I guess but it's not too bad just having a controller in my lap, I really don't need to use menus that often, you only use it for the skill tree and changing gear mainly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

pmchem posted:

Played the game a lot since my last post, it's going well. M+KB is perfectly fine, easy to play. Thanks!

Question: I've got this supplicant card which I forged up to +3; it's some kind of dlc/pre-order bonus and it restores 3 MP/turn in combat. Is that crazy overpowered all game, or does it just seem that way now because of how early I still am in the game? edit: the healer +2 card is pretty good too. Haven't went through Kingsbarrow yet.
Like any item that provides a fixed stat bonus, it's a lot stronger the lower your stats are. It's a useful accessory that I had on my healer for a good section of the game, but it's not game-breaking, and I did eventually replace it. There is other gear in the base game that can restore MP like that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Clara posted:

It'll remain useful for a good chunk of the game but it drops off sharply once your abilities start taking up more and more MP. The thing about DQXI is you're never very far from a campfire or town at any given time (and can by and large choose when to engage with enemies), so you don't have to worry about MP conservation in this one as much as other entries.

Not to mention your MP gets topped off every time you level up, so even if you fight a lot you still don't need to worry too much.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol dammit quote is not edit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe that the blue outfit you start the game in can't be obtained until like 70 hours in. That's insane!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Also the upgraded Trodian set isn't even competitive with the other end-game sets. Felt like I didn't get to wear the base set for long at all.

Really they should've just gone full dress-up, making each armor piece change your appearance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also the upgraded Trodian set isn't even competitive with the other end-game sets. Felt like I didn't get to wear the base set for long at all.

Really they should've just gone full dress-up, making each armor piece change your appearance.

I felt like that back when I played 3DS and that still hasn't changed here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah I wish the game did this. It's not like there's all that many items either.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pissed they have yet to do the flowing water robe as actual animated water on your characters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I actually liked the default character designs. They’re so utilitarian while still being high fantasy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

I actually liked the default character designs. They’re so utilitarian while still being high fantasy

I like them a lot too, but the main guy doesn't change at all. I do enjoy the other character outfits being different because it's kind of an achievement to make them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I found the character designs to be a breath of fresh air. They were unique and interesting without being complicated. You just don't get that restraint in character design anymore

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I just played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I was relieved by DQ XIs restrain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like that all the Jade outfits are just sexy jokes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I've always liked Toriyamas art and DQ XI is like being in a Toriyama cartoon in HD. It's loving rad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Akira Toriyama is a good character designer.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to post that all of the DQ games are on sale on the AppStore. I don't know if it's the same for Android, but it's probable.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Just looked, there's a blurb on Chrono Trigger that "select SE titles are on sale" through 1/6/19. I can't tell if any DQs are on sale, because there's no original price with a slash through it or anything, and I already bought DQ4 and 6 so their price isn't even visible, but DQ5 is 10 which I think is 15 normally (DQ4 and 6 were both 15).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Just looked, there's a blurb on Chrono Trigger that "select SE titles are on sale" through 1/6/19. I can't tell if any DQs are on sale, because there's no original price with a slash through it or anything, and I already bought DQ4 and 6 so their price isn't even visible, but DQ5 is 10 which I think is 15 normally (DQ4 and 6 were both 15).

Spot on. DQI is $2, II is $3 and probably the best version of the game if you don't mind the controls, III is $7, IV and V and VI are $10 each down from $15 and VIII is $15 down from $20. Mind you, from all that I have heard VIII is not a good mobile port.

All prices USD

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just installing DQ11, so I'm wondering whether the draconian difficulty options are worth it.

Should I be playing with the "stronger monsters" option on during a first playthrough? I keep hearing the game is too easy without it, but I'm not sure whether it would be too tedious with the option enabled.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wyvernil posted:

Just installing DQ11, so I'm wondering whether the draconian difficulty options are worth it.

Should I be playing with the "stronger monsters" option on during a first playthrough? I keep hearing the game is too easy without it, but I'm not sure whether it would be too tedious with the option enabled.

It's not tedious if you pay attention and do your best to enhance your equipment when you can. Some of the earlier bosses are a little luck based, but the rest are mostly strategic fights that reward you for understanding the mechanics. I recommend Stronger Monsters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

Spot on. DQI is $2, II is $3 and probably the best version of the game if you don't mind the controls, III is $7, IV and V and VI are $10 each down from $15 and VIII is $15 down from $20. Mind you, from all that I have heard VIII is not a good mobile port.

All prices USD

'Best version of II' is a real low bar to clear.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

You can turn it off at any church along with the other Draconian Quest options, so it’s not like you’re hosed if you feel it makes the game unfun.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Last Celebration posted:

You can turn it off at any church along with the other Draconian Quest options, so it’s not like you’re hosed if you feel it makes the game unfun.

And if you're on PC you can use Cheat Engine to turn them back on again if later on you feel things are too easy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nemo2342 posted:

And if you're on PC you can use Cheat Engine to turn them back on again if later on you feel things are too easy.

It's dumb that you can't turn it on later on PS4. The game is so relaxed it seems out of character to restrict loving with the battle/game rules.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

It's dumb that you can't turn it on later on PS4. The game is so relaxed it seems out of character to restrict loving with the battle/game rules.

The Sanctity of achievements/trophy's must not be impugned.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

'Best version of II' is a real low bar to clear.

I understand why you would say this as the latter parts of DW2 on the NES are very poorly balanced, but the SFC/GBC/Mobile remakes all improve things tremendously and I am trying to convey that to people who were justifiably put off by the original. I would never play the NES version again, but I maintain that the latter ports are all, at worst, solid RPGs.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Wyvernil posted:

DQ11 Stronger Monsters is one of the best balanced RPGs I've ever played. If you have any idea how DQ is intended to be played then you'll have a blast with it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The Sanctity of achievements/trophy's must not be impugned.

I wish they’d let me turn in back on and just not gve me the trophy.

I started with Harder Monsters on but didn’t have the mechanical knowledge or skill to beat some of the early bosses (got into a fight where all my characters were getting one shot and my status effects didn’t proc on the boss to make them stop attacking, so all I could do was heal and die). So I turned harder monsters off. Now the game is super easy and chill but I wish for a little more challenge. I guess my ideal would be harder monsters, regular bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wyvernil posted:

Shypox is mandatory, whatever you decide