Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Hmm.. thanks. Might go for the iphone then. The other option is for me to give her my evo3d, and get a new evo, or a S3 for myself. Looking back a few pages, I don't seem to see anything to lean me one way or the other. Since I'm used to my htc, any reason to switch to the s3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

gninjagnome posted:

Hmm.. thanks. Might go for the iphone then. The other option is for me to give her my evo3d, and get a new evo, or a S3 for myself. Looking back a few pages, I don't seem to see anything to lean me one way or the other. Since I'm used to my htc, any reason to switch to the s3?

You'll have to go into a store to play with them. The S3 has 2gb of RAM but it's not all that useful right now. Each phone has a screen that some people like and some people don't. The S3 has a removable battery while the EVO does not. The S3 also has a better modding community if you care about that. Plus, the Jellybean update came to the S3 much quicker than the EVO and I would imagine 4.2 will reach the S3 first also (though if it's not 4.2.2, who cares?).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You'll have to go into a store to play with them. The S3 has 2gb of RAM but it's not all that useful right now. Each phone has a screen that some people like and some people don't. The S3 has a removable battery while the EVO does not. The S3 also has a better modding community if you care about that. Plus, the Jellybean update came to the S3 much quicker than the EVO and I would imagine 4.2 will reach the S3 first also (though if it's not 4.2.2, who cares?).

I've had to do a battery pull on my S3 a couple of times and I have two main reactions each time:

1. The removable battery cover is the best I've ever used. I don't worry that its clips are going to break like I have with other phones.

2. Holy gently caress this phone boots up quickly!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

brc64 posted:

I've had to do a battery pull on my S3 a couple of times and I have two main reactions each time:

1. The removable battery cover is the best I've ever used. I don't worry that its clips are going to break like I have with other phones.

2. Holy gently caress this phone boots up quickly!

I'm pretty sure that even though the S3 has a removable battery, you can still force a reboot by holding the power button, no matter what.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Which Optimus? If its the Optimus S, avoid it completely. The email app alone can fill up the memory. The Optimus Elite isn't much better. The Optimus G might be good, but it has a non-removable battery and no SD card slot, and I don't really trust that on an LG.

I'd second the iPhone 4S idea. The store should also be able to order an iPhone 4 as a freebie if they don't have them in stock, Sprint is stocking them again though they're not really promoting it. Probably the best free phone, though expect it to be super dated by the next upgrade date.

Overall concurring, just mentioning that I meant the 4S at $99 and not the 4 at $0.99. Personal recommendation.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure that even though the S3 has a removable battery, you can still force a reboot by holding the power button, no matter what.

I don't know about that. I've had it lock up weirdly on me before, and holding down power didn't seem to do anything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Its power + home, for about 5-10 seconds.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
OK, quick billing question that I think I have figured out but want to run past this thread before moving forward.

I've been living off the parental teet for a while now as a college student and been on a Sprint Everything 1500 plan with my parents and sister for years now. My parents have graciously paid for me. But the free ride is running out and my share of the bill is seventy bucks (or get my own cell phone service).

I'm opting for the latter plan. Since I don't talk too much, I will probably buy a Nexus 4 when LG makes the things again and get the 30/month T-Mobile plan which I have calculated to save me about eight hundred bucks over two years.

Now I just checked on the Sprint website and for my line, the contract ends 5/31/13. My issue now is that this HTC thing I'm using is a total piece of poo poo and I don't trust it to last me that long. I could upgrade in April 1st but then I'm on the hook for another two years and two grand including the charges and cost of the phone. So I'm in a weird spot where I don't trust my phone not to poo poo on me (there's been some close calls already) so that's worth paying the ETF to get out of it. Plus I would pay my parents 280 in the time period versus 120 + fees for T-Mobile so I'm willing to eat it.

Now my question is that the ETF should be 100 bucks and a clean break right? No other fees or anything loving up my parents and sister?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

The S3 is a great phone, the current htc's are so so. The Optimus G is the most powerful and futureproof, but is fragile and slippery.

The S3 has the best support and biggest market share by far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chief Savage Man posted:

OK, quick billing question that I think I have figured out but want to run past this thread before moving forward.

I've been living off the parental teet for a while now as a college student and been on a Sprint Everything 1500 plan with my parents and sister for years now. My parents have graciously paid for me. But the free ride is running out and my share of the bill is seventy bucks (or get my own cell phone service).

I'm opting for the latter plan. Since I don't talk too much, I will probably buy a Nexus 4 when LG makes the things again and get the 30/month T-Mobile plan which I have calculated to save me about eight hundred bucks over two years.

Now I just checked on the Sprint website and for my line, the contract ends 5/31/13. My issue now is that this HTC thing I'm using is a total piece of poo poo and I don't trust it to last me that long. I could upgrade in April 1st but then I'm on the hook for another two years and two grand including the charges and cost of the phone. So I'm in a weird spot where I don't trust my phone not to poo poo on me (there's been some close calls already) so that's worth paying the ETF to get out of it. Plus I would pay my parents 280 in the time period versus 120 + fees for T-Mobile so I'm willing to eat it.

Now my question is that the ETF should be 100 bucks and a clean break right? No other fees or anything loving up my parents and sister?

That is the simplest way is just eating the cost. Which HTC do you have? If you have insurance see if they will at least swap it out right before you switch, get better resale value out of it?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've got an HTC EVO 4g LTE and I'm moving from North Carolina (outside of Raleigh) to Seattle pretty soon. Sprint service is so pathetic here I want to punch my self in the face every day I use it. How is service in Seattle? Is there LTE, or should I be trying to get out of my contract and moving to AT&T? Its getting to the point where 3g has slowed down, and my girlfriend with her LTE iPhone is making fun of me.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

iceslice posted:

I've got an HTC EVO 4g LTE and I'm moving from North Carolina (outside of Raleigh) to Seattle pretty soon. Sprint service is so pathetic here I want to punch my self in the face every day I use it. How is service in Seattle? Is there LTE, or should I be trying to get out of my contract and moving to AT&T? Its getting to the point where 3g has slowed down, and my girlfriend with her LTE iPhone is making fun of me.

No LTE in Seattle yet, sadly. Service varies depending on location and time of day, but overall it's been pretty decent for me all things considered. Your girlfriend probably isn't going to stop making fun of you, but I'd hold off on flashing a Verizon PRL until you see what service is like for yourself.

That said, I'm considering switching myself if they don't roll out LTE here by the time my contract is up next year.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I figured this is the best place to ask because this is the network it runs on, but how awful is Boost Mobile?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

iceslice posted:

I was in Seattle in August and sprint service all around sucked. I would switch.

FFStudios posted:

I figured this is the best place to ask because this is the network it runs on, but how awful is Boost Mobile?

Awful. If you are looking for prepaid I would recommend straight talk or TMobile.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FFStudios posted:

Gotta back up Duckman's statement.

My mom's on Boost using a feature phone. If you don't want a smartphone, Boost (and Sprint) are awesome.

If you do, it's terrible. Straight Talk and T-Mobile's $30/mo plan are better. Even better than prepaid Sprint.

Anyone know exactly how to get the free extended Gnex battery? My boyfriend upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus and needs the battery but we can't find out how to do it. Also, if anyone knows of any cases for the larger phone, that'd be cool too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Gotta back up Duckman's statement.

My mom's on Boost using a feature phone. If you don't want a smartphone, Boost (and Sprint) are awesome.

If you do, it's terrible. Straight Talk and T-Mobile's $30/mo plan are better. Even better than prepaid Sprint.

Anyone know exactly how to get the free extended Gnex battery? My boyfriend upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus and needs the battery but we can't find out how to do it. Also, if anyone knows of any cases for the larger phone, that'd be cool too.

I always just used the commuter Otterbox for the nexus, fit fine with the extended battery (the smaller, free extended one that is).

Call sprint telesales and see if they will give you the extended battery, that's your best bet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I always just used the commuter Otterbox for the nexus, fit fine with the extended battery (the smaller, free extended one that is).

Call sprint telesales and see if they will give you the extended battery, that's your best bet.

Thanks! would that be 800-526-1160 ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks! would that be 800-526-1160 ?

No idea, but I will say yes.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
...and the GPS no longer works on my Galaxy Nexus. Won't even find a satellite. Tried toggling Google's location services on and off, as recommended on a couple forums--and nothing.

Really tempted to hop over to iPhone territory now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Matlock posted:

...and the GPS no longer works on my Galaxy Nexus. Won't even find a satellite. Tried toggling Google's location services on and off, as recommended on a couple forums--and nothing.

Really tempted to hop over to iPhone territory now.

Did you download GPS Status to get the aGPS data?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Unexpectedly found LTE in Gardena, CA last night! It was quite exciting!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just called and they said they didn't have any more free extended battery + door bundles, but they did have a $49.99 extended battery + door bundle they could sell me. :( Boo.

bobula fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 21, 2013

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Sorry, accidental double post!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to Iceland/England/France in March. My wife has a Sprint iPhone 4S and it looks like I'll be getting the 5 in a few weeks. Is there any way to use our phones in those countries? Has someone done a tutorial on how to do that? I'm not worried about internet access (it would be nice), but we'd like to call home to let them know we got there and calls between each other if we get separated.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
So what's the deal with SERO now? I had the old school SERO plan for like $40/mo with my dumb phone. About 2 years ago I upgraded to the HTC Evo 3D when it came out, they made me pay a bit more and change my plan to the SERO Premium 500. I was just checking out how much credit they're offering a new phone for, and every good phone I look at now says I'd have to change my plan to upgrade. Are they trying to phase out the SERO plans? Are there any SERO type plans that work with the HTC LTE phone?

I'm thinking it's not really worth upgrading if my plan will change to a normal plan.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SuperNuts posted:

So what's the deal with SERO now? I had the old school SERO plan for like $40/mo with my dumb phone. About 2 years ago I upgraded to the HTC Evo 3D when it came out, they made me pay a bit more and change my plan to the SERO Premium 500. I was just checking out how much credit they're offering a new phone for, and every good phone I look at now says I'd have to change my plan to upgrade. Are they trying to phase out the SERO plans? Are there any SERO type plans that work with the HTC LTE phone?

I'm thinking it's not really worth upgrading if my plan will change to a normal plan.

SERO Premium for WiMax phones is for some reason or another different in their system than SERO Premium on LTE phones. You'll just need to call Sprint to make the change, it'll still have the same monthly fee in the end.

I feel like this gets asked at least once every other page. Think you can edit something into the FAQ, Duckman?

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 21, 2013

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Antipop posted:

I'm going to Iceland/England/France in March. My wife has a Sprint iPhone 4S and it looks like I'll be getting the 5 in a few weeks. Is there any way to use our phones in those countries? Has someone done a tutorial on how to do that? I'm not worried about internet access (it would be nice), but we'd like to call home to let them know we got there and calls between each other if we get separated.

Call 888-226-7212 option 2 and make sure you get the phone unlocked for international use. The Sprint international roaming plan, which they'll probably suggest you use, is very different and much, much more expensive - it looks like it's $2.49/minute and $19/MB for Iceland, for instance. If you get it unlocked, you can just buy a prepaid SIM for a few ISK/EUR/whatever in the country where you'll be staying whenever you touch down.

For calling home, your best bet is probably Skype or another VOIP service. Making intercontinental phone calls without using the internet is almost always eye-poppingly expensive.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

Call 888-226-7212 option 2 and make sure you get the phone unlocked for international use. The Sprint international roaming plan, which they'll probably suggest you use, is very different and much, much more expensive - it looks like it's $2.49/minute and $19/MB for Iceland, for instance. If you get it unlocked, you can just buy a prepaid SIM for a few ISK/EUR/whatever in the country where you'll be staying whenever you touch down.

For calling home, your best bet is probably Skype or another VOIP service. Making intercontinental phone calls without using the internet is almost always eye-poppingly expensive.

Thanks for the info. I've taken a look at some of the SIM card sites like this vodafone one. Is there a way to purchase one to be mailed to the US, or do I have to buy it in London when I get there? I'd assume they'd have them in the shops at Heathrow or local convenience stores, but I don't know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

SERO Premium for WiMax phones is for some reason or another different in their system than SERO Premium on LTE phones. You'll just need to call Sprint to make the change, it'll still have the same monthly fee in the end.

I feel like this gets asked at least once every other page. Think you can edit something into the FAQ, Duckman?

I'll fix it tonight hopefully.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Not Sprint specific but just upgraded from an Evo 3d to the Note 2 and :wow:. Also pretty neat getting LTE in most places as opposed to like 80/20 3G/Wimax (chicago suburbs)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My sister is on Sprint, wants an S3, and her birthday is coming up. Best Buy supposedly will pricematch Amazon for the time being, but will they pricematch Amazon Wireless? The S3 for Sprint looks like it's something like $119 from Amazon for an upgrade, and $150 at Best Buy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten smoothie posted:

My sister is on Sprint, wants an S3, and her birthday is coming up. Best Buy supposedly will pricematch Amazon for the time being, but will they pricematch Amazon Wireless? The S3 for Sprint looks like it's something like $119 from Amazon for an upgrade, and $150 at Best Buy.

This would be an even better deal if you were able to get a warranty on it from Squaretrade or whoever and not have to pay the $11 in blood money to Asurion for practically useless coverage anyway. Who the gently caress drops their phone and only leaves 2 <1" cracks in it? Midgets on unpadded office carpet?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I've price matched at Best Buy Mobile before with ease; I think it was around May of 2012 so now should be easy.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I switched my preferred network mode over to LTE a few months back after I got my S3 and I don't think I have ever seen the LTE notification come up. Like, ever, no matter where I go. This is in northern California (not Bay Area), east Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Orange County and I'm now in Missoula, where Sprint 3G doesn't even seem to exist. Am I just incredibly unlucky to always be somewhere that doesn't have LTE, or could something be seriously wrong with my phone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

uapyro posted:

I've price matched at Best Buy Mobile before with ease; I think it was around May of 2012 so now should be easy.

That's the sort of news I like to hear. Thanks!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

That's the sort of news I like to hear. Thanks!

I'd say just make sure you match up the "new contracts" and "upgrade" pricing since some people will care if they are different; I was able to the Epic4Touch for $50 when everywhere else it was $150; later I noticed that the $50 was only supposed to be for new lines, but the person who did the sale was awesome and didn't care.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nikosoft posted:

I switched my preferred network mode over to LTE a few months back after I got my S3 and I don't think I have ever seen the LTE notification come up. Like, ever, no matter where I go. This is in northern California (not Bay Area), east Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Orange County and I'm now in Missoula, where Sprint 3G doesn't even seem to exist. Am I just incredibly unlucky to always be somewhere that doesn't have LTE, or could something be seriously wrong with my phone?

There are only a few areas that have it right now. So, I wouldn't say you're unlucky, but odds are you are never anywhere that has it. I'm pretty sure it's even worse than WiMAX coverage at the moment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

If you are living in Montana sprint has pretty much 0 coverage there. With the possible exception of Vegas, I wouldn't expect LTE in the areas you listed anytime soon.

If you roam enough while in Montana, sprint may cut you off without a termination fee.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I've been out of the loop for awhile, but has there been any movement on the HTC 4G LTE regarding it's inability to properly connect to and hold LTE signals? I live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm still on 3G (if you can call 100-300kbps 3G) the vast majority of the time, despite the maps on Sensorly and S4GRU showing almost my entire living/working area being covered in 4G. It's really getting distressing because this phone needs to last me until 2014.

If I switch the phone to LTE/CDMA only it seems to hold 4G signals better, but the CDMA 1x is even more useless than the 3G so I just keep it on normal CDMA/EVDO/LTE auto.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I've recently got a new pair of phones through sprint, but when I activated the new phones on a new family plan I hadn't removed my old HTC Touch Pro 2 phone and old SERO 500 plan. This apparently updated my entire contract with Sprint.

Is there some way I can just get rid of the SERO plan without paying an ETF? I don't really want to be paying an extra $40 every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but has there been any movement on the HTC 4G LTE regarding it's inability to properly connect to and hold LTE signals? I live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm still on 3G (if you can call 100-300kbps 3G) the vast majority of the time, despite the maps on Sensorly and S4GRU showing almost my entire living/working area being covered in 4G. It's really getting distressing because this phone needs to last me until 2014.

If I switch the phone to LTE/CDMA only it seems to hold 4G signals better, but the CDMA 1x is even more useless than the 3G so I just keep it on normal CDMA/EVDO/LTE auto.

Chicago is an oddball; due to the handoff issues with the legacy equipment there, they raced ahead of the backhaul upgrades so some of the towers are sitting there with new equipment still connected to T1s. That should be resolved fairly soon.