Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Angry Grimace posted:

I still have a bottle of LC2 and I have no clue what it even tastes like.

I thought it peaked out around November/December of last year and I'm not aware of anyone else who still has any. Post back whenever you try, because most people felt that this was a drink now, don't cellar kind of beer.

air- fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I thought it peaked out around November/December of last year and I'm not aware of anyone else who still has any. Post back whenever you try, because most people felt that this was a drink now, don't cellar kind of beer.

I've got two left. Someone on here said the barrel is starting to die a little, so that sucks. I'll probably open one relatively soon and let the other go a while longer just 'cause.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Valencia posted:

Where at? I keep forgetting where in NC you are.

Saucer hasn't tapped KBS this year that I can recall, so hopefully they'll get on that semi-soon. Their event calendar has been broken for the last 3 months and won't list any of the Tap Nite specials. I've even tweeted/mentioned the issue to the waitstaff but nothing's been fixed. Would hate to miss them tapping that because of such a silly issue (although they'd undoubtedly let Twitter/FB know first).

Also Eejit/other CO guys: has Parabola hit Denver yet? Roomie is headed back this weekend and I've had her keeping an eye out for it.

Finnigan's Wake up in Winston.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

I'm working from 5pm-10pm. I'll put a bottle to the side for you. Just ask someone for me and I'll come up and meet you.

Edit: My name is Mark. If you ask someone for "me" they will not know what the hell you mean.

I left work early and stopped in around 4. Got that Fred and a few others. New Jersey is so much cheaper than Philly. Thanks for the heads up.

edit - I grabbed a bottle of Enjoy By on my way out. The last 3 bottles were sitting by the counter since the 17th is coming up. Even near the tail end of the date it's still magnificent. So much grapefruit and pineapple with just a touch of pine. Super tasty. This is the best Stone beer I've ever had.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 2, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Angry Grimace posted:

My favorite descriptive term: "horse blanket." :whatup:

"Horse blanket" sounds a lot better than "horse sweat and barn", which is what it really is.

Honestly I think "dark fruit" is like "hoppy" in that it shows up in different degrees. I recently had some St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Stone Ruination, which are both pretty much as high as you can get with each of those, respectively, but not all ales are hoppy and not all dark beers have the dark fruit flavor, either. I'd rather have someone say "dark fruit" than give off a laundry list of dark fruits to make it sound like they have some super refined palate.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

air- posted:

The barrel faded quite a bit but I felt it balanced it better. Fresh LC2 was a taste assault and age helped it all come together. LC3 tastes a bit mellower, but the barrel and sour are definitely there. I said it earlier in the thread, bit LC3 is a very well done Supplication clone, and for a better price, too.

Also, a tasting note on Saison Diego: good, light, but slightly uneventful. I think it was 4.5%, so it would make a good sessionable Saison, as was asked about a couple of weeks ago.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I've been doing the whole "order 6 from a local site on Bevmo.com and take it when I get an email back saying they can only give me 1 or 2" thing and it's working well. I figure I'll just walk into a Bevmo I know has it, buy one, then pick up my already pre-paid bottle(s) the next day.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised that Boulevard put the Coffee Ale into CA distribution. I like Port's Board Meeting a little more, but they're slightly different styles of beer and both excellent in their own rights.

I just didn't want to have to drive around to BevMos to get a few bottles. They don't seem to have a problem shipping a lot - a guy on BA said he shipped 6 Parabola to his house for around ~$3 a bottle in shipping. Actually, with me and my wife inadvertently buying bottles without informing the other, I ended up with a lot of them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I left work early and stopped in around 4. Got that Fred and a few others. New Jersey is so much cheaper than Philly. Thanks for the heads up.

edit - I grabbed a bottle of Enjoy By on my way out. The last 3 bottles were sitting by the counter since the 17th is coming up. Even near the tail end of the date it's still magnificent. So much grapefruit and pineapple with just a touch of pine. Super tasty. This is the best Stone beer I've ever had.

Gotcha. I came in and saw one missing so I assumed you had stopped in before I got there. Good to know I can grab the last bottle! As for the 5/17, I had that last night and agree 100%. It's a great beer.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am willing to bet that at least 99% of the people using the term "horse blanket" to describe beer aroma have never been in the same room as an actual horse blanket, much less sniffed one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

withak posted:

I am willing to bet that at least 99% of the people using the term "horse blanket" to describe beer aroma have never been in the same room as an actual horse blanket, much less sniffed one.

My wife is afraid of horses and probably hasn't been within 10 feet of one, but she likes the term. :shrug:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

"Dark fruit" is a staple of wine tasting vocabulary and generally refers to plum, sweet cherry (bing, etc.), blueberry. and other similar tastes. I use it a lot in tasting notes because I do a lot of wine tasting too, and it's a word that describes a fairly narrow set of flavors. A lot of wine drinkers will conflate raisin flavors into the category as well. I don't agree with it and tend to distinguish, but to each his/her own.

Also common in wine circles:
"red fruits" - raspberries, strawberries, tart cherries
"stone fruit" - peaches, apricots, plums (yep, it overlaps)
"dried fruit" - prune, raisin (this is why I don't like them using "dark fruit" for raisins)
"tropical fruit" - pineapple, mango, lychee, papaya
"summer fruit" - strawberry, kiwi, watermelon, sometimes other melons

Pretty sure I've used all of the above besides maybe "summer fruit" because that's a dumb category made up by people who refuse to accept rose wine can be complex enough to express more than one set of flavors. It's just kind of how people who drink a lot around wine snobs learn to talk about flavors. The fact most of these flavors can be picked up in beer is a sign of what a diverse and wonderful thing the beer industry is. (It also gives us tons of common ground with wine drinkers. Start sharing good beers with wine people, guys. It's fun, you get good wine in return, and you'll hook new people with disposable income on our hobby!)

withak posted:

I'm the other 1%, and I like the term. I don't use it often, since it's usually possible to be more narrowly descriptive, but I have and I'm not sorry. :colbert:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The last time "horse blanket" was discussed was right at the end of the previous thread a year ago.

We have officially gone full circle on beer topics. We've covered it all.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Is it time to talk about pumpkin beer yet?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

crazyfish posted:

Is it time to talk about pumpkin beer yet?

when isn't it?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The last time "horse blanket" was discussed was right at the end of the previous thread a year ago.

We have officially gone full circle on beer topics. We've covered it all.

Speaking of, there was some muttering about a new thread. Is that happening, or are we going full speed ahead in this one?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Let's talk beer 4: Your horse's blanket smells like beer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

air- posted:

Thank you Landry's corporation for sending craft beer in the Houston suburbs back a few years :doh:
http://www.kemahbeerfest.com

Haha I saw the billboard for this last year after just moving to houston and was SO excited...only to visit the website and be wholly disappointed.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Randomly came across Midnight Sun's Arctic Devil & Moscow today, a little pricy for the AD at $18 but I've never seen these two in SoCal and I didn't want to regret not trying them. With it hitting 97° here tomorrow it'll be a saison & IPA weekend but I'm excited regardless.

Also, I'll make more posts about this soon, but bottleshare at wattershed's house on August 24th, all beer goons welcome.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

wattershed posted:

Randomly came across Midnight Sun's Arctic Devil & Moscow today, a little pricy for the AD at $18 but I've never seen these two in SoCal and I didn't want to regret not trying them. With it hitting 97° here tomorrow it'll be a saison & IPA weekend but I'm excited regardless.

Also, I'll make more posts about this soon, but bottleshare at wattershed's house on August 24th, all beer goons welcome.

I bought 2 artic devils online for about that and while expensive, it is really really good. I drank the first one to get a gauge and it is like syrup. Deep woody and vanilla flavors, really enjoyed it. Saving the other for this time next year. Very delicious.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

wattershed posted:

Randomly came across Midnight Sun's Arctic Devil & Moscow today, a little pricy for the AD at $18 but I've never seen these two in SoCal and I didn't want to regret not trying them.

I tried Moscow last year and it was one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had. Black as pitch, viscous, lots of roasted malt flavors (char, coffee, etc), rye, dark chocolate, licorice, with enough sweetness to round it all out. I wish that more big stouts were like it.

Speaking of big stouts, I get to try the Descuhtes Burgschrund Black this weekend which is Abyss that has been Pinot barrel aged and soured. Maybe they had an infected barrel of Abyss and just said "gently caress it, we'll do something cool." Looking forward to it.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Popped open my Simcoe Ninja from PipeWorks last night and talk about a pineapple/citrus bomb. I only have have Citra Ninja to compare it to as I missed out on Cascade and with that being said it was pretty decent but I think I prefer Citra. I like that they are exploring all the different hop varieties. It's too bad they are staggered as much as they are since it would be pretty cool to try them all side by side.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can we go back to talking about horrible reviews? The mention of Simcoe Ninja made me think about Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, which was one of my favorites when I first started exploring craft beer. So I hopped over to BA to see how my memory of it stands up. It's decently rated, but this snippet from a recent review caught my eye...

quote:

My expectation for IPA's and 2xIPA's are: these are hophead beers; the horn sections that dominate. Malts in this style are nameless in the chorus providing body as a vehicle for the ACCENT only - much like a YES concert. .

gently caress.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Hello beer friends! After I invited my wife to a restaurant dinner tonight, she in turn invited me to swing by the Mikkeler Bar later in the evening. Yay! Help me pick what I should taste while I'm there: http://mikkeller.dk/the-bar/
I like them black and syrupy, chocolate and licorice tastes, porters, stouts and such. I'm also partial to Belgian Trappists.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Rnr posted:

Hello beer friends! After I invited my wife to a restaurant dinner tonight, she in turn invited me to swing by the Mikkeler Bar later in the evening. Yay! Help me pick what I should taste while I'm there: http://mikkeller.dk/the-bar/
I like them black and syrupy, chocolate and licorice tastes, porters, stouts and such. I'm also partial to Belgian Trappists.

Haymarket Indignant. Weird how half of those beers are Chicago locals that don't even distro outside the city (or in Haymarket's case, not at all).

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Thanks. Yea, as I understand it Mikkeler is crazy connected to what's going on around the world (aside from being a great brewer himself). I also just read he is actually in the process of opening up a new bar in your parts of the world as well!
http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/02/15/mikkeller-bar-headed-to-mason-aims-to-be-the-finest-beer-bar-in-the-world/

But what's up with that focus on the sours!? :argh:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

the yellow dart posted:

I bought 2 artic devils online for about that and while expensive, it is really really good. I drank the first one to get a gauge and it is like syrup. Deep woody and vanilla flavors, really enjoyed it. Saving the other for this time next year. Very delicious.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I tried Moscow last year and it was one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had. Black as pitch, viscous, lots of roasted malt flavors (char, coffee, etc), rye, dark chocolate, licorice, with enough sweetness to round it all out. I wish that more big stouts were like it.

Speaking of big stouts, I get to try the Descuhtes Burgschrund Black this weekend which is Abyss that has been Pinot barrel aged and soured. Maybe they had an infected barrel of Abyss and just said "gently caress it, we'll do something cool." Looking forward to it.

Oh yay! Glowing reviews, that's awesome. Maybe I'll go at the Moscow soon and sit on the Arctic Devil for a few months.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Rnr posted:

Beer Geek Breakfast and Beer Geek Brunch Weasel are both up your alley. Really great coffee stouts. Brunch Weasel has the added bonus of being made with weasel poop. (not joking).

Rnr posted:

But what's up with that focus on the sours!? :argh:

They're delicious. That's what's up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rnr posted:

(aside from being a great brewer himself)

You mean "brewer."

That list is totally Chicago. I second Indignant, which is a phenomenal barrel aged stout. The Beer Geeks would also be a good choice. Avoid the Begyles. They're... boring.

RE: Arctic Devil. It's good but it's well below Sucaba, in my opinion.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
:swoon: Sixpoint Apollo is back :swoon: I know what I'm immediately buying a case of!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

:swoon: Sixpoint Apollo is back :swoon: I know what I'm immediately buying a case of!

gently caress. Yes. :getin: my summer drinking trifecta is complete: Apollo, Zoe, and All Day IPA

Setting up an IP trade coming up with a guy flying in from Chicago. How reasonable would it be for me to ask him to look for Pipeworks stuff? I haven't had anything from them so I'm not sure what would be good to ask for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Setting up an IP trade coming up with a guy flying in from Chicago. How reasonable would it be for me to ask him to look for Pipeworks stuff? I haven't had anything from them so I'm not sure what would be good to ask for.

i've had three, and of the two i can remember, Flower Child was awesome and Coffee Abduction was really good (reminded me a bit of Espresso Yeti).

edit - obviously many Chicagoons know more, but as someone who has traded for them, i'd be happy to get those two again

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2013

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

air- posted:

Their stuff changes on what seems like a weekly basis so you may just ask for a certain style and if they have it for sale at that time, ask him to get that. It's hard to specifically say what will be available.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I should mention, any South Jersey goons in the West Deptford area should stop by the Canals there. There's a Victory tap take-over with a lot of tap-exclusive Victory beers. Some of note are Melon Session Ale, Mandarina Best Bitter and Rye Expression.

Next week is Stone where there's a keg of Enjoy By 5/17/2013 and Espresso RIS.

Come get your growlers filled!

If you stop in today I'll be the guy in a grey Victory t-shirt with glasses and a beard probably running around keeping things stocked. Come say hi!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

I geeked the gently caress out about seeing ShaneB check this in on Untappd yesterday (and yes, there's another badge for it this year). My personal summer beer list is Summer Love, Apollo, and Mama's Little Yella Pils for sure. Any other suggestions I should try this year?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Uuudar posted:

Their stuff changes on what seems like a weekly basis so you may just ask for a certain style and if they have it for sale at that time, ask him to get that. It's hard to specifically say what will be available.

This. Their production schedule is weird. If you're into IPAs, anything with "Ninja" is worth trying. Any of the Abduction varieties (standard, coffee, raspberry, End of Days (chili)) are solid to great. I think Flower Child is a great example of a Berliner Weiss. They make a couple fruited versions.

Basically, everything is worth trying, not everything will be available, and understand that- as discussed here- there are pretty big batch variances.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Podima posted:

I geeked the gently caress out about seeing ShaneB check this in on Untappd yesterday (and yes, there's another badge for it this year). My personal summer beer list is Summer Love, Apollo, and Mama's Little Yella Pils for sure. Any other suggestions I should try this year?

Great Divide's Colette

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Basically, everything is worth trying, not everything will be available, and understand that- as discussed here- there are pretty big batch variances.

I managed to trade for a couple of the first batch of Raspberry Truffle Abduction and apparently the newest batch has a much more pronounced raspberry flavor. :argh:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Podima posted:

If I remember correctly you live in PA, so you should be able to get everything on my list: Victory Summer Love, Lancaster Kolsch, 21st Ammendment Bitter American, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Victory Prima Pils, Ballast Point Sculpin, Bell's Oberon, DFH 60

Those are my goto beers for nice weather and stoop-sipping.

Retemnav posted:

Great Divide's Colette

Seconding Colette

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If I remember correctly you live in PA, so you should be able to get everything on my list: Victory Summer Love, Lancaster Kolsch, 21st Ammendment Bitter American, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Victory Prima Pils, Ballast Point Sculpin, Bell's Oberon, DFH 60

Those are my goto beers for nice weather and stoop-sipping.

Seconding Colette

:doh: How could I forget Colette? I tried that for the first time last week and really enjoyed it, so that's definitely on my list. Will absolutely keep an eye out for everything you've mentioned - some of these I've already tried and enjoyed (Sculpin, Prima Pils, among others). I'm in central NJ, but we have enough cross-pollination from PA that I've seen most of these except for Lancaster Kolsch and Bell's Oberon offhand.

I'm heading to Philly tomorrow night for a bachelor party that includes several beer bars - Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant, Triumph, Standard Tap, and Eulogy Belgian Tavern. Any tips from natives? This'll be my first time out drinking in Philly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Podima posted:

:doh: How could I forget Colette? I tried that for the first time last week and really enjoyed it, so that's definitely on my list. Will absolutely keep an eye out for everything you've mentioned - some of these I've already tried and enjoyed (Sculpin, Prima Pils, among others). I'm in central NJ, but we have enough cross-pollination from PA that I've seen most of these except for Lancaster Kolsch and Bell's Oberon offhand.

I'm heading to Philly tomorrow night for a bachelor party that includes several beer bars - Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant, Triumph, Standard Tap, and Eulogy Belgian Tavern. Any tips from natives? This'll be my first time out drinking in Philly.

Skip Triumph, go to Khyber Pass Pub instead. Standard Tap is the farthest away of that group, and if you head up that far you might as well check out Barcade as well.