Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

for more information visit the Sony tag at The Institute for Y2K Aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what was the deal with cd players that boasted CD-R compatibility anyway. like i thought that was the point of CD-Rs in the first place

i vaguely remember knowing the answer to this question when i was a Young Teen, but in my aged senility, i have forgotten.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

you could do closed or open session cd-r to append more data later and I think it was saying it supported that

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

some older CD players couldn't play CDRs I think. RW support was even rarer

I went through 3 or 4 discmans before I got one that could play RWs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GameCube posted:

this is what people will resort to doing when the 3.5mmless phone is released. that's okay though because us millennials loving love The Y2K Era.
you millenials don't even have cars so wtf do you care

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

squirt your playlist to the uber

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you joke, but uber added spotify integration a long time ago

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

THC posted:

Old CD drives only read the first session, CD-R support is to use the newer burnt file tables.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

UDF packet writing drivers that pretended your CDRW drive was a regular disk was the worst idea

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

recent chrysler/dodge head units are doing mp3-cd support. its kinda nice for a big dumb playlist without having to sync a phone or whatever

'recent' as in 10 year old? i have a 2007 base model civic that support mp3cds

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

recent like in the last 2-3 years on the satnav head units. you know, a decade after it was relevant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

THC posted:

I went through 3 or 4 discmans before I got one that could play RWs.

iirc cdr support was the aforementioned thing about multiple sessions. if you burned a standard red book single-session cd, it should play in any cd player back to the 80s

cdrw support was something else b/c the physical disc structure was different and older cd player optics might have trouble reading it. cdrws were never reliable in my experience

oh, and if you have any burned cds or dvds still sitting around from the early 2000s, you should be copying the data off now if you care about it. the dyes are expected to degrade starting about 10 years after recording

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lol, you sound just like a millennial

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

iirc cdr support was the aforementioned thing about multiple sessions. if you burned a standard red book single-session cd, it should play in any cd player back to the 80s

cdrw support was something else b/c the physical disc structure was different and older cd player optics might have trouble reading it. cdrws were never reliable in my experience

oh, and if you have any burned cds or dvds still sitting around from the early 2000s, you should be copying the data off now if you care about it. the dyes are expected to degrade starting about 10 years after recording

even the library of congress is having problems with the foil on conventional stamped media degrading at this point. the older stuff from the 80's seems to be holding up but I'm guessing they started making it thinner and thinner in to the 90's and its falling apart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kinda funny that tape is still the longest-lived digital storage medium we have.

going through my dad's stuff i found his phd thesis (a SNOBOL linguistics program) on a 10 inch tape for a pdp-11. i'm gonna see if i can find someone to read it and dump the data so i can try it out in a modern interpreter

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wheany posted:

lol, you sound just like a millennial

millenials Own you loving GBS Poison'd FREAK

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you for the new thread title, it is very appropriate given that the iphone 7 will require a dongle to use one of the most basic functions of a smartphone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GameCube posted:

what was the deal with cd players that boasted CD-R compatibility anyway. like i thought that was the point of CD-Rs in the first place

i vaguely remember knowing the answer to this question when i was a Young Teen, but in my aged senility, i have forgotten.

It was an easy way to increase sales. My CD player from the 80s played burned discs. I also in early 2k remembered seeing headphones that said "mp3 compatible" on them. Seriously. It was obviously a way to get sales away from companies who didn't put that on their headphones, so almost everyone had to start putting it on theirs because "hey these Panasonic headphones don't say mp3 compatible, better get the Coby ones to be safe".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It was an easy way to increase sales. My CD player from the 80s played burned discs. I also in early 2k remembered seeing headphones that said "mp3 compatible" on them. Seriously. It was obviously a way to get sales away from companies who didn't put that on their headphones, so almost everyone had to start putting it on theirs because "hey these Panasonic headphones don't say mp3 compatible, better get the Coby ones to be safe".

waiting for someone to advertise gluten-free headphones

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

kinda funny that tape is still the longest-lived digital storage medium we have.

going through my dad's stuff i found his phd thesis (a SNOBOL linguistics program) on a 10 inch tape for a pdp-11. i'm gonna see if i can find someone to read it and dump the data so i can try it out in a modern interpreter

I have loads of VHS tapes that still work. In fact I've never had one crap out on me, and I have some from the early 80s that we watched a million times. I have however come across a ton of CDs with flaking tops or random splotches no matter how properly I stored them. They're completely unreadable (not unlike my posts).

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

analog media like VHS will degrade more "gracefully" but it is degrading just the same. all the world is rot and piss

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

raid arrays and replication are the true solutions to long term storage

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

error1 posted:

I am extremely OK with this because Softbank has the best company mascot ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcvRLKO_pU

The dog is Mr. White, he has a black son, and in flashbacks he is human.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Verdafolio posted:

The dog is Mr. White, he has a black son, and in flashbacks he is human.

I couldn't tell from the ad, does he have an illegitimate French daughter?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

you joke, but uber added spotify integration a long time ago

fortunately uber drivers are all extremely poor, so they own the kind of phone that comes with a headphone jack

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

raid arrays and replication are the true solutions to long term storage

You gotta include checksumming and data scrubbing or you will just be storing multiple copies of damaged data

Reed Solomon error correction is loving black magic

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

error1 posted:

You gotta include checksumming and data scrubbing or you will just be storing multiple copies of damaged data

Reed Solomon error correction is loving black magic

any controller worth a poo poo is doing read patrol out of box to find corruption and fix it. rip, morons with garbage whitebox software nas boxes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is that even a thing anymore?

like some d-link branded dual drive crap or something?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

is that even a thing anymore?

like some d-link branded dual drive crap or something?

ASK: me about the piece of poo poo nas box we inherited from a department we absorbed that runs on some 8 year old gaming motherboard with glowing red leds shining out the back and hot-swappable drive bays for drives that don't support hot swapping. people still do extremely stupid things to save a few hundred dollars for no good reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hmmm... this mission critical data is the lifeblood of our business and even a brief interruption would cost tens of thousands of dollars. so we've given ricky the temp $300 to build us the freest nas money can buy

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
iOS 9.3.3 has been released and again, i find it very needs suiting. Thanks tim.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tim loves us and wants us to be happy

:unsmith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Super loving offended by new thread title.

jesus christ.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Super loving offended by new thread title.

jesus christ.

Thin is in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

apple release another excellent security maintenance release to their already excellent iOS while android huffs its farts and ignores bug reports

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I couldn't tell from the ad, does he have an illegitimate French daughter?

this is neither here nor there but your Twitter is good

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

now put them all in the trash where they belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao

no loving way

• Locked thread