Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bogart posted:

So there's no point to using a Potion of Strength if I'm going to unload on Roger with the brace of pistols, but there is if I'm going to throw a bomb? :psyduck: Fat Shark knows the important part of a bomb is not that it's a projectile, but that it explodes, right?
hahahahahahahaha no

Persistent Hamprince posted:

Another important factoid the wiki fails to mention is that it makes all your attacks ignore armor.
which can be somewhat useful.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

strength + repeater handgun demolishes ogres so loving fast, even better if you can stack speed on it too

now that i think about it, i haven't tried strength stacking for this......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it works

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
wait, you can roll/pray for reds? how???

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Banano posted:

wait, you can roll/pray for reds? how???

Roll: gotta be on nightmare or cataclysm I believe

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

duckfarts posted:

Roll: gotta be on nightmare or cataclysm I believe

Sorry, I meant outside of ranald's bones

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get them from the Q&C board for 10 keys, they can't be prayed for

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

duckfarts posted:

hahahahahahahaha no

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

strength + repeater handgun demolishes ogres so loving fast, even better if you can stack speed on it too

now that i think about it, i haven't tried strength stacking for this......

Strength Pots don't stack. It's either in effect or not. On a related note, the weapon perk Off Balance gives the same effect to your allies vs. the enemy you block, and also doesn't stack with a strength pot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is that a recent change because it totally did work when lune and i were doing testing for our youtube series

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Everyone should solo roger with hawkeye trueflight (or brace of pistols, or volley bow) and str potion just once. Just to say they did.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Willie Tomg posted:

Everyone should solo roger with hawkeye trueflight (or brace of pistols, or volley bow) and str potion just once. Just to say they did.
Is it even possible to solo an ogre on cata? I've never tried. On nightmare I can brace them down like chinatown

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Is it even possible to solo an ogre on cata? I've never tried. On nightmare I can brace them down like chinatown

Yeah it is, but you'll need to leverage as many advantages as you can. Headshots, the right weapons, a strength potion, and it's way easier if you save a (non-incendiary) bomb to stagger them at a convenient moment.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Roger himself is not that hard to solo, the trick is usually the surrounding circumstances which make dealing with him optimally difficult.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Skandranon posted:

Roger himself is not that hard to solo, the trick is usually the surrounding circumstances which make dealing with him optimally difficult.

Yeah 1v1 you can dance away from him all day long, as long as you don't slip slide yourself into a corner or some unfortunate geometry, it's dealing with his gang of buddies trying to tie you up and him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah. the basic shot here is that roger is basically the l4d tank, right? well, in l4d, the tank is explicitly programmed to come alone. sure, he might show up with a couple specials or whatever, but the tension background variable is explicitly maxed out so hordes cannot show up. the only way that can happen is if a boomer hits a survivor and forces the matter.

a horde plus a tank is widely considered the single worst tactical situation in the game.

in vermintide, the exact opposite is true. in general, roger outright summons a horde.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Roger feels an awful lot easier to kill than a l4d tank, but it's been a long time since I played l4d.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Night10194 posted:

Roger feels an awful lot easier to kill than a l4d tank, but it's been a long time since I played l4d.

You can't block or dodge in L4D, and you can't even really run faster than the Tank. You can block or dodge Roger attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's because vermintide has strength potions

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Lumberfoot's brew... for desperate times only

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I feel that in general Vermintide is a more difficult game than L4D on the harder difficulties. Sure, it's a blatant L4D ripoff but you know what we fight for the glory of Sigmar and waah wahhh human zombies wheres my pills well guess what, pills havent been invented yet so go gently caress yourself and we have flintlock firearms and cold forged steel so we dont need pills anyways.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of feel like they overtuned the two-handed axe a little when they were buffing it. It feels straight better than the basic zweihanders now.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

is that a recent change because it totally did work when lune and i were doing testing for our youtube series

Hm, maybe my info was wrong. I never did any real testing myself.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

L4D tank also would incap you in a single strike, could chuck rocks that'd also incap, sometime would punch a car at your entire team and wipe you all out, and despite being huge as gently caress didn't actually have any special rules about movement (I think the AI one could climb ledges or something and sometimes did little poses a human controlled wouldn't do) which meant he was fast as you and could turn on a dime. Roger spends more time yelling at you and telegraphing his attacks, locks onto singular targets at a time, and you have dedicated dodge/block buttons (and he's nice enough to smack you a fair distance away on a successful block).

On the flip side, L4D tank had to deal with meaner guns sometimes, and at one point the threat of angry survivors armed with baseball bats killing it in four swings (!!!), and could actually die about as fast as roger on a bad day if it appeared in a stupid position. It also lacked a leap so was exceptionally vulnerable if caught in open areas or corridors, and survivors could pretty much just backpedel or run circles around the poor fella. There were also moments where a survivor could channel the ghosts of every panicked cat that lived and do insane point blank dodges, jukes, and leaps, even against AI tanks.

On the whole, I actually think roger is a bigger threat generally, due to the horde, but also due to generally being more longer lasting outside of strength pot shenanigans or suddenly lethal bombs. L4D2 tanks were so anemic in actually killing things, custom maps would be content at throwing two at a time at you just to keep things hard enough on the highest difficulty. I think two rogers at a time would be pretty lethal on cata; only time you fight two at a time is on last stand mode.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the particulars get really weird.

like, yes, the l4d2 tank is faster than a survivor in a foot race, but the survivor is more agile. the climbing and scrambling animations are very slow, and a survivor can kite a tank infinitely without too much trouble. also, remember that the molotov/burning effect was guaranteed death to a tank, it was just a matter of running him around for a bit. the hits/throws only OHKO'd you on Expert, beyond that you had at least some leeway on it. cars were always OHKO though yeah, those could wipe you out in an eyeblink.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I have fond memories of being knocked off a tall building's rooftop by the tank in one of the level finales in L4D1 and falling....falling....

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
All this rat ogre talk and noone has linked the best Vermintide / Rat ogre video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwDmDwspFg

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel as though I end up with materials from nowhere, sometimes. Today, I logged in after completing the tutorial (because there's an achievement locked in there!) and immediately found the 'no friendly fire with nades' trinket in my inventory. I certainly didn't earn it from a bounty. where magic trinket come from

e: the best vermintide video is that slowed down saltzpyre line

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That'll be today's Christmas log-in gift, there's been one each day since the 24th I think.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Coolguye posted:

the portals map isn't so bad until the last one, where you're guaranteed to have a rat ogre and a stormvermin patrol hit you simultaneously

even lune and me had trouble pulling that trick off a lot of times

There are no patrols on Summoner's Peak.

A frag bomb can throw the first ogre at the 2nd portal off the cliff, and anything works for the last one. We only died the one time because I was saving a teammate who went down in front of the right-side portal and the ogre was left completely unmolested to throw me into the abyss.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

he probably didn't so much mean a literal patrol of 12 stormvermin as the wave of 4 stormvermin that perpetually spawn during the 3rd portal fight

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunethex posted:

There are no patrols on Summoner's Peak.

A frag bomb can throw the first ogre at the 2nd portal off the cliff, and anything works for the last one. We only died the one time because I was saving a teammate who went down in front of the right-side portal and the ogre was left completely unmolested to throw me into the abyss.
i mean a 'patrol' in the sense that the game dumps like 8 stormvermin on you (the rough equivalent of a patrol) at the same time the second ogre comes out

e: yes what cowcaster said

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Article up on PCGamer, most notable piece of new information beinh

quote:

Vermintide II will feature 13 missions divided into mini-arcs that culminate in a battle with a ‘Lord’. These massive bastards will battle you in bespoke arenas and they’re even more powerful than the Chaos Spawn and Rat Ogres, who can invade your game at the AI director’s discretion. Lords include a Chaos sorcerer called Halescourge, a Skaven Chieftain called Skarrik Spinemanglr, and a Chaos champion called Bödvarr Ribspreader. In each arc you follow a Lord’s trail of destruction on the path to a final showdown.
http://www.pcgamer.com/with-new-enemies-new-loot-and-mod-support-warhammer-vermintide-2-is-your-next-big-co-op-game/

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
So far the sequel looks good as hell.

Spinemanglr, the trending skaven app for finding spines to mangle.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I want the sequel to be good, but in order to get hype I need to see how it looks on a higher difficulty handled by a Good Player, because the preview footage looked slow as hell like if every enemy were a stormvermin except slower and the players had no armor piercing or wherewithal to dodge out of the way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

The bounty hunter Victor sends enemies flying with his warhammer

:captainpop:

quote:

I used Victor’s charge power on a narrow ramp to send Skaven flying to their deaths

the charge has been shown to be a foot knight thing, not bounty hunter. Could active skill actually be tied to weapon and not career? or is this not the same thing.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Willie Tomg posted:

I want the sequel to be good, but in order to get hype I need to see how it looks on a higher difficulty handled by a Good Player, because the preview footage looked slow as hell like if every enemy were a stormvermin except slower and the players had no armor piercing or wherewithal to dodge out of the way.
Yeah the players in demos always suck for some reason. I have high hopes because the L4D formula is just so hard to gently caress up -- if they just gave us Vermintide 1 with new levels, weapons, and a few new enemy types I'd be happy but they're doing all that and more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The idea of the demo players is to show what the game looks like to a newbie, not an experienced rat catcher with a small but vicious dog. While top tier gameplay footage is great, it isn't good for marketing because a new player will get mad they aren't as good or as cool looking as the preview players.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's also just a matter of time invested. demo players frequently get access to the game a grand total of 30 seconds before they are on record, and they're not picked based on their previous experience or familiarity with the game. they are picked based upon the audiences they can reach.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The idea of the demo players is to show what the game looks like to a newbie, not an experienced rat catcher with a small but vicious dog. While top tier gameplay footage is great, it isn't good for marketing because a new player will get mad they aren't as good or as cool looking as the preview players.

The cheesy tactics good players sometimes use can also look insanely dumb. Like Chivalry has all kinds of spins, bends and ballerina crap going on at high levels, it gets really offputting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHu7WlXnj9w&t=480s

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Enjoy posted:

The cheesy tactics good players sometimes use can also look insanely dumb. Like Chivalry has all kinds of spins, bends and ballerina crap going on at high levels, it gets really offputting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHu7WlXnj9w&t=480s
Chivalry was awesome because of this. Your weapon's hitbox existed at all times even if it was offscreen and by dragging the player's view around around you could bring your sword/axe/whatever up underneath someone's shield or otherwise angle it around defenses.

It took good prediction skills to manage where the tail end of your weapon was when you couldn't see either it or your enemy but you could really wreck house.

Looks dumb as hell in videos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Chivalry was awesome because of this. Your weapon's hitbox existed at all times even if it was offscreen and by dragging the player's view around around you could bring your sword/axe/whatever up underneath someone's shield or otherwise angle it around defenses.

It took good prediction skills to manage where the tail end of your weapon was when you couldn't see either it or your enemy but you could really wreck house.

Looks dumb as hell in videos though.

I think Chivalry was best in the first few weeks when everyone was bad and nobody did any of this, personally.

• Locked thread