Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eletriarnation posted:

e: The point was less about denying that the 8350K is an upgrade (because I'm not, it is noticeably better) anyway and more about questioning why you'd bother if you already have a good quad and hexcores are a thing now. Someone who wanted what is effectively a 6600K could have bought it a long time ago.

All the 8350K at $180 is to make the 8400 and 8700NK look like a steal.

it's the second coming of the wildly overrated G3258 "ZOMG EASY OVERCLOCKING" while ignoring a stock Haswell i3 at $40 more is getting almost 2x FPS in GTA5 despite even with a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
i3s are garbage, if keep my 2500k for another year rather than bother with that. Save up for a real upgrade.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So my old GTX 760 is starting to show its age and I'm looking to upgrade the video card to a 1060 6GB. Here's my current machine but with the new video card in it, is there anything else I should be looking into upgrading while I'm at it? I'm mostly worried about the power supply, but PCPartPicker says I'm still about 200 watts shy of maxing it out, so :shrug:

Looking to run the latest, hottest stuff (looking at you, Shadow of War) at 60 fps on a 1080 TV/monitor. Is it worth dropping the extra cash on a 1070, or would that be overkill?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - B85M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($269.89 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix - Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX - 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 62205ANHMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Total: $835.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-09 23:16 EDT-0400

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 10, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ninjahedgehog posted:

So my old GTX 760 is starting to show its age and I'm looking to upgrade the video card to a 1060 6GB. Here's my current machine but with the new video card in it, is there anything else I should be looking into upgrading while I'm at it? I'm mostly worried about the power supply, but PCPartPicker says I'm still about 200 watts shy of maxing it out, so :shrug:

Looking to run the latest, hottest stuff (looking at you, Shadow of War) at 60 fps on a 1080 TV/monitor. Is it worth dropping the extra cash on a 1070, or would that be overkill?

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($269.89 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 62205ANHMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

I have a very similar build except with a 4690K and have gone through a 1060 6Gb, 1070, and finally a 1080 because I wasn’t satisfied with the prior 2 cards performance. Keep in mind that I wanted to run games at max settings on a 1920x1200 monitor and keep a frame rate above 60. That rig is still not quite there in games like the new Tomb Raider so I have a 8700 and Z370 board on the way.

Short answer is the 1060 will play the games well, but not at max settings.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My mate has an old dell workstation that he is currently using as a gaming/coding rig. It's LGA2011 and currently has an E5-1603V1 in it, which we plan to replace with a more capable gaming CPU. Gaming, but also loads of compiling/coding which are CPU heavy. He always has both Linux and windows running from a VM, and he runs the networking stuff for our whole building remotely. What should we be looking at for an affordable swap in eBay CPU? I thought it was initially westmere which meant there was 6 cores at 3.8GHz for like sixty bucks, but we now know its sandy bridge which has a lot more expensive secondary market.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BurritoJustice posted:

My mate has an old dell workstation that he is currently using as a gaming/coding rig. It's LGA2011 and currently has an E5-1603V1 in it, which we plan to replace with a more capable gaming CPU. Gaming, but also loads of compiling/coding which are CPU heavy. He always has both Linux and windows running from a VM, and he runs the networking stuff for our whole building remotely. What should we be looking at for an affordable swap in eBay CPU? I thought it was initially westmere which meant there was 6 cores at 3.8GHz for like sixty bucks, but we now know its sandy bridge which has a lot more expensive secondary market.

You definitely want to look up that Dell model and see what it could have shipped with or find confirmation of what it can handle, because while there are often good deals on 6 and 8 cores from that generation, they're not going to be supported by all chipsets and Dell may cut down on power delivery or general CPU support to meet the exact specs of what they ship that model with.
I like to keep an eye on the Serve The Home great deals forum because it has a lot of deal tracking on Xeons. The E5-2670 currently has its own thread because it seems like a high supply item (datacenters full of them upgrading), but I don't know if it'd fit the bill for you. Also, it looks like the price went down for a while but is back up in the $100 range.
Obviously a higher core count Xeon will have a slower clock speed (or way higher power use) but they're still worth looking at. I've seen some incredibly hand-wavey suggestions that 12MB of L3 cache is a similar performance boost to 500 extra Mhz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#.22Sandy_Bridge.22_.2832_nm.29 is a good general list. Usually the stuff at the bottom is the fastest and most power hungry of any section, so they tend to be more expensive, but if you go one notch back sometimes the deals are amazing in comparison. For example on ebay, the E5-1660 (6 core, 3.3ghz) is ~$133 but the E5-1650 (6 core, 3.2ghz) is $~85-100.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Coolermaster H500P launched and reviews are pretty average. For a "high airflow" case with 2x 200mm fans it ranks pretty close to the pack overall. It's worse than a lot of NZXT/Fractal cases which look better and are probably better value. Shame.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

The previous poster who replied to you overstated how poor the performance of the 1060 is due to a poor port of a console title. ROTR has a particular area (geothermal valley) that tanks performance due to poor CPU optimisation.

The 1060 will generally play current popular titles at 1080p ultra 60fps. Though we won't know what the future will bring, if you go a 1070 and turn down performance as needed you can probably maintain 60fps for a good long while, similar to how a five year old gtx 670 now will do 60fps at med in a title like BF1 but a 660 will eat poo poo on low.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you've got an AMEX saved on your Amazon account and like to save money, this might interest you: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/10/10/amazon-20-percent-off-amex/

Might be a decent way to get $50 off a new CPU, so long as you qualify (I didn't :smith:).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ordered my build from Newegg on Sunday and paid the extra 15 dollars to have it arrive on Thursday. Everything shipped yesterday except for the Case which is still in packaging. I've been spoiled by Amazon prime apparently.

:sassargh:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there an ETA for Microcenter to start offering pre-builts with the new CPU? Is this the best thread to keep track for that sort of thing? My gpu crashed like 10 times playing Battle Chasers, I don't know if it's an issue with that game or I'm just trying to find an excuse to buy a new PC but I've got the itch.

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

Is there an ETA for Microcenter to start offering pre-builts with the new CPU? Is this the best thread to keep track for that sort of thing? My gpu crashed like 10 times playing Battle Chasers, I don't know if it's an issue with that game or I'm just trying to find an excuse to buy a new PC but I've got the itch.

I was wondering the same thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Best Buy has those external 8TB WD Reds for $179.99 ($105 cheaper than they charge for the bare drive) again: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

You need to shuck them out of the enclosures, but these are currently the best value in bulk HDD storage at the moment.

Shucking instructions: https://hardforum.com/attachments/shuck-techniques-pdf.27374/

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Watch /r/DataHoarder for specials, since they've gone as low as $159.99. Also, it seems like some of the newer reds are starting to come with the 'power disable feature' enabled through a 3.3V pin. Best to check it before and after shucking.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Best Buy has those external 8TB WD Reds for $179.99 ($105 cheaper than they charge for the bare drive) again: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

You need to shuck them out of the enclosures, but these are currently the best value in bulk HDD storage at the moment.

Shucking instructions: https://hardforum.com/attachments/shuck-techniques-pdf.27374/

Thanks, I was going to go with a 4gb bare one for about that price. And I've destroyed the external casing for my old western digital drives since the connectors on those cases always go bad on me.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EconOutlines posted:

Watch /r/DataHoarder for specials, since they've gone as low as $159.99. Also, it seems like some of the newer reds are starting to come with the 'power disable feature' enabled through a 3.3V pin. Best to check it before and after shucking.

Is the power disable feature a problem? I bought three of the 8TB ones a couple weeks back to use in a home NAS and haven't noticed any issues.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Is the power disable feature a problem? I bought three of the 8TB ones a couple weeks back to use in a home NAS and haven't noticed any issues.

IIRC, it was a problem for people using them in a typical Windows Desktop setting or with DrivePool, etc. People who have an off-the-shelf NAS or server mobo wouldn't notice it due to the NAS not having the pin.

Mine were all Red-Labeled 256MBs from Thailand, and providing one dies, I'm good for a long time. So I sort of glossed over it. :shrug:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm guessing it won't really matter, but I'm thinking of running a 5 or 10 metre HDMI cable from my PC to my spare TV. At those lengths there's not going to be any noticeable input lag or anything affecting the quality or performance? This will be primarily for some couch gaming.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm guessing it won't really matter, but I'm thinking of running a 5 or 10 metre HDMI cable from my PC to my spare TV. At those lengths there's not going to be any noticeable input lag or anything affecting the quality or performance? This will be primarily for some couch gaming.

It will work fine. I had the same setup. Consider getting a steam link when they go on sale (only has 3 controller inputs, though).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BadAstronaut posted:

I run a 15 meter HDMI 2.0 cable from my PC to my TV running 4k at 60hz with HDR enabled and there's no extra input lag. I play all my games in this way and I'm pretty fussy about input lag, that sort of thing. You'll be fine.

Your point of consideration will be ensuring you have the proper video output settings enabled, such as 4:4:4 chroma subsampling if your TV can handle it. My TV and cabling can't do 4K60+HDR with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (I don't think that's possible until HDMI 2.1 anyway) so I have ycbcr4:2:2 instead, which looks virtually identical but supports the ability to run at 4K60+HDR. I can do 4:4:4 but I'd have to completely forego HDR, which looks too good to pass up.

If you're just using a plain old fashioned 1080p HDTV you don't need to worry about this poo poo since it doesn't tax HDMI cables' capabilities anyway

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Video cables inevitably wear out, though - so be sure to buy two online so you've got one in reserve. Local stores charge a small fortune for cables in general, and longer ones especially so because they're generally surmising (correctly) that you *need* that cable to make something work and will pay their exorbitant price because you can't wait for a two-day Amazon delivery.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
jokes on them i can wait a month for my poo poo

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

What is the recommendation for a larger(1TB) M.2 SSD that doesn't need to be top tier. I've already got a 250GB Samsung 960 Evo for the OS and a 500GB Samsung 850 on SATA 6Gb.

Edit: actually scratch that. $300 to $400 is too rich for me right now. I may pick up one of the 8TB reds instead.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 12, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Ordered my build from Newegg on Sunday and paid the extra 15 dollars to have it arrive on Thursday. Everything shipped yesterday except for the Case which is still in packaging. I've been spoiled by Amazon prime apparently.

An update on this. NEWEGG decided to ship my case after sitting on this portion of the order for 3 days. Expedited shipping doesn't mean what I thought apparantly. I bitched at them and they gave me back the money that they charged for 3 day shipping.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

daslog posted:

An update on this. NEWEGG decided to ship my case after sitting on this portion of the order for 3 days. Expedited shipping doesn't mean what I thought apparantly. I bitched at them and they gave me back the money that they charged for 3 day shipping.

It comes down to if the shipper/warehouse want to do a split shipment vs shipping the entire order at once. Expedited can only applies to the transportation side of things which if the whole order isn't ready then womp womp and usually in a split shipment the shipper is eating some of that cost. Logistics/Warehousing/Supply Chain is weird with the nomenclature though since for different companies expedited vs accelerated can apply to different things. Some say accelerated order and expedited shipping....others do it the opposite way around. Still others call expedited for the whole thing or differentiate between Expedited Order and Expedited Shipping. It's kind of a cluster tbh. Sorry for sperging.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
I have a gaming PC which I built back in 2012. It is running an i5-3570k over clocked to 3.4ghz, GTX 670 and 24gb of ram. I definitely don't have the cash for a new build at this time. I want to keep the system somewhat relevant for playing games. Right now I play overwatch and am waiting for Destiny 2 to drop for the PC.

I'd like to keep the system till at least end of next year. Would I be well served replacing the GTX 670 with a 6GB 1060 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Trying to keep the expense at no more than $400 CDN. Will that card serve me well for 3-4 years if I decide to take it forward into the new build next year? Thoughts? Thanks.

What country are you in? Canada

What are you using the system for? Gaming, emby server, photoshop.

What's your budget? $400 CDN for video card upgrade.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 24" Dell 1600*1200 with second monitor 20" Dell at 1680*1050. Would like to get the best bang for my $400 bucks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mephistopheles posted:

I have a gaming PC which I built back in 2012. It is running an i5-3570k over clocked to 3.4ghz, GTX 670 and 24gb of ram. I definitely don't have the cash for a new build at this time. I want to keep the system somewhat relevant for playing games. Right now I play overwatch and am waiting for Destiny 2 to drop for the PC.

I'd like to keep the system till at least end of next year. Would I be well served replacing the GTX 670 with a 6GB 1060 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Trying to keep the expense at no more than $400 CDN. Will that card serve me well for 3-4 years if I decide to take it forward into the new build next year? Thoughts? Thanks.

What country are you in? Canada

What are you using the system for? Gaming, emby server, photoshop.

What's your budget? $400 CDN for video card upgrade.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 24" Dell 1600*1200 with second monitor 20" Dell at 1680*1050. Would like to get the best bang for my $400 bucks.

I'd double check your CPU speed, 3.4ghz is the stock non-turbo speed for a 3570K, but other than that I think you've got the right idea with a new video card. The 1060 would be good with the lower res monitors you're using and will still be good if you get a 1920x1080 panel. I'd also consider getting a SSD for your system disk if you don't have one already.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It comes down to if the shipper/warehouse want to do a split shipment vs shipping the entire order at once. Expedited can only applies to the transportation side of things which if the whole order isn't ready then womp womp and usually in a split shipment the shipper is eating some of that cost. Logistics/Warehousing/Supply Chain is weird with the nomenclature though since for different companies expedited vs accelerated can apply to different things. Some say accelerated order and expedited shipping....others do it the opposite way around. Still others call expedited for the whole thing or differentiate betw Expedited Order and Expedited Shipping. It's kind of a cluster tbh. Sorry for sperging.

I have no doubt there is a logistical reason that cant execute on what they are selling but the dropdown selection i selected said it would arrive Thursday and it didn't.

As a consumer I have little interest in understanding their business processes. They either ship ot on time or they don't. Next time I will buy elsewhere.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

daslog posted:

I have no doubt there is a logistical reason that cant execute on what they are selling but the dropdown selection i selected said it would arrive Thursday and it didn't.

As a consumer I have little interest in understanding their business processes. They either ship ot on time or they don't. Next time I will buy elsewhere.

And you would be 100% right :) I wasn't trying to be pedantic although I probably was. Its just one of those funny things to me about the interpretation of expedited shifts massively depending on the outfit. I'm glad you got your parts on the way and they waved the shipping fee (as they should) and hope you enjoy your new system.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And you would be 100% right :) I wasn't trying to be pedantic although I probably was. Its just one of those funny things to me about the interpretation of expedited shifts massively depending on the outfit. I'm glad you got your parts on the way and they waved the shipping fee (as they should) and hope you enjoy your new system.

Yea I didn't meant to be snarky. At least they shipped out!

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?

Rexxed posted:

I'd double check your CPU speed, 3.4ghz is the stock non-turbo speed for a 3570K, but other than that I think you've got the right idea with a new video card. The 1060 would be good with the lower res monitors you're using and will still be good if you get a 1920x1080 panel. I'd also consider getting a SSD for your system disk if you don't have one already.

Thanks, looks like I will be gunning for a 1060 then. And yes, whoops I meant to type overclocked to 4.3ghz. Much appreciated.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Helping a first timer with a build and am trying to get the most out of a strict $1k budget. I haven't messed with a Ryzen yet, but I do know it can be picky with some memory and that around 3000 mhz is within the sweet spot. Also, that I'd need to contact Cryorig for the mounting plate for the cooler. Would anyone mind checking my work to see where I might might able to squeeze a bit more value for money out of this build?

Edit: I recall hearing that the single-fan 1060's were to be avoided, as well as the MSI Dukes (I heard Armor as well, but I recall hearing that was a bum rap) - could anyone confirm that?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.46 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($279.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $959.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-13 06:05 EDT-0400

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 13, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

1600 comes with a cooler which I believe is good enough for a mild overclock, so for someone who presumably has no interest in that I wouldn't bother with a third party cooler.

The Armor series I think is inadequate for 1080s and above (maybe 1070s too?) but is fine for 1060s. Not 100% on that though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're not sure about the Motherboard compatibility regarding RAM, the Corsair Vengeance DDR4 sticks seem to be more commonly on lists than the G.Skill ones.

Also if you absolutely positively need a third-party cooler, go for a Noctua - NH-D15. There's an AM4 special edition with the mounting kit included, and it's just plain one of the best low-noise air-coolers you can get. The stock one with the 1600 will absolutely do you fine though, going by most reviews of it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Installed my i7-8700NK yesterday evening and Christ, it’s a night and day difference from my 4690K. Running on the same GTX 1080 I’m seeing massive frame rate improvements in games like Assassins Creed Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Everything runs at a solid locked 60fps at 1200p even with multiple downloads and installs happening in the background.

I’ve seen a lot of people saying that the older chips are fine for gaming at non-4K resolutions, but I’m not sure that really holds entirely true. Now I’m wondering if I really needed to return the GTX 1070 that I initially bought as the CPU was the real bottleneck.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Helping a first timer with a build and am trying to get the most out of a strict $1k budget. I haven't messed with a Ryzen yet, but I do know it can be picky with some memory and that around 3000 mhz is within the sweet spot. Also, that I'd need to contact Cryorig for the mounting plate for the cooler. Would anyone mind checking my work to see where I might might able to squeeze a bit more value for money out of this build?

Ditch the cooler as someone already said...you don't need it. I'm running 3.8 across all cores on the stock cooler and it doesn't peak above 71*c while running Prime95 for a while on the stock fan profile. That particular G.Skill ram skew isn't on the QVL but there is a bunch of G.Skill ram kits on the QVL running their rated speeds so you're probably fine with that. I'm personally running Corsair Vengance LPX (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) which is not on the QVL for that board, but it runs at 3200mhz very happily. In addition to all of that, the ram support has come a very long way from launch. It might take a slight bit of tweaking (enabling XMP profile in the bios), but you're likely going to be fine at this point. Other than that everything should be good.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Installed my i7-8700NK yesterday evening and Christ, it’s a night and day difference from my 4690K. Running on the same GTX 1080 I’m seeing massive frame rate improvements in games like Assassins Creed Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Everything runs at a solid locked 60fps at 1200p even with multiple downloads and installs happening in the background.

I’ve seen a lot of people saying that the older chips are fine for gaming at non-4K resolutions, but I’m not sure that really holds entirely true. Now I’m wondering if I really needed to return the GTX 1070 that I initially bought as the CPU was the real bottleneck.

Both games are part of the trend Headline and I mention, when we say we're at the tipping point of more threads = win for gaming.
That said, @1200 a 1070 will struggle just a little on ROTT. My 1080 pushes to just under 60fps@1440 unless I disable some pretty things.
You've not overspent.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 13, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

daslog posted:

Yeah Newegg shipping largely sucks. Occasionally I'll get something quick from them but there's always one part that they gently caress the dog on that screws everything up.

Amazons search/filter sucks rear end so I mostly look things up on Newegg and then order it from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

Yeah Newegg shipping largely sucks. Occasionally I'll get something quick from them but there's always one part that they gently caress the dog on that screws everything up.

Amazons search/filter sucks rear end so I mostly look things up on Newegg and then order it from Amazon.

So much this. Find the part number I want on NewEgg where I can actually search and filter, order elsewhere.